Pads for floor jack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some MBs & Bimmers
Pads for floor jack

Hi Folks

I ran into this and I want to leave you folks a word of caution so that you don't run into the same problem.

I had to jack up my car to install the mud flaps and found that without the BLACK pads, the floor jack provided in the trunk area is useless. Please see the attached pictures for reference.

Pads for floor jack-img_0114.jpg

When I jacked one side of my car, the BLACK PAD was attached and I was not aware of any problem. When I attempted to jack up another side of my car, the BLACK PAD was missing on the other side. In fact after checking around, I discovered my car did not have the PADs at 3 of the 4 jack points. Not aware of the implication, I went ahead to jack up my car on one of the other location where the PAD is missing. Before long, the jack starting slipping and almost damaged the side skirt.

I hope I am the only one who happens to be unlucky to have these PADs missing. Please check out your car and make sure they are there. Without them, the floor jack in your trunk is USELESS.

Hope this bit of info helps
Old 12-05-2004, 11:32 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Good to know.. Did you take a pic of one of the sopts where the black pad thing is missing?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:55 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
Good to know.. Did you take a pic of one of the sopts where the black pad thing is missing?
Sorry, I was so pissed that something like this can happen and forgot to take the picture.

I rushed out to the stealer's service department the very next day and insist that this has to be resolved the same day. BTW, this happened a few days ago.

Just imagine that without the pad, the gap is now alot bigger and floor jack simply cannot grip probably. In some ways, without these pads, we have a safety issue so please go check your respective cars and hopefully you don't have the same issue.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
With all due respect, why did you try to jack the car up if the pad was missing?

Is there any indication that the pad was never installed or was it knocked off in some kind of incident?

Are you the original owner of the car?

Did the dealer install new pads?

I'm upset with my new Mercedes because there are no seperate rubber pads to use for jackstands. It appears that it's just more Mercedes cost savings going on.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:54 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by BudC
With all due respect, why did you try to jack the car up if the pad was missing?

Is there any indication that the pad was never installed or was it knocked off in some kind of incident?

Are you the original owner of the car?

Did the dealer install new pads?

I'm upset with my new Mercedes because there are no seperate rubber pads to use for jackstands. It appears that it's just more Mercedes cost savings going on.
Well, this is my very first MB and not familiar how MB's floor jack system works. Based upon the printed instructions on the jack, all it indicates is to place the jack at the jack points. No mention of PADs. So, I was not aware that the PADs were essential to the system. All my other cars have reinforced area where the jack point is and there is no need for any PADs.

I purchased this car new from FletcherJones around thanksgiving last year (Aug '03 built) and based upon the SA's comments, the PADs were either left out during manufacturing or was taken out. They don't appear to fall off easy.

I am offering a word of caution to fellow W211 aficionado of this potential hazard.

Last edited by GearHead; 12-05-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:02 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Nice heads up post.

I've never used the M-B jack - using one of those aluminum Harbor Freight jacks. Didn't even remember not seeing a jack point. No slipping so I am assuming they were intact.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
The jack take-up brackets are located directly behind the front wheel housing and in front of the rear wheel housing.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:46 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by konigstiger
The jack take-up brackets are located directly behind the front wheel housing and in front of the rear wheel housing.
Hi Konigstiger

Thanks for providing the correct term for the PAD -- Take-Up Bracket.

It's funny that the dealer's service department didn't correct my terminology and actually wrote in the service log as PAD. Oh well. We now know it is the take-up bracket

Thanks again
Old 12-05-2004, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by GearHead
Hi Konigstiger

Thanks for providing the correct term for the PAD -- Take-Up Bracket.

It's funny that the dealer's service department didn't correct my terminology and actually wrote in the service log as PAD. Oh well. We now know it is the take-up bracket

Thanks again
Just about EVERYTHING in the car is a take-up device or "abdeckung" (trim piece). If it's not a steuergeräte, kabelsatz, or halter, then it's probably one of those two.

Even the thing that holds the phone is called a "take up device."

-s-
Old 12-05-2004, 07:13 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Hi Scorchie

Off thread, can you check into your email and respond to me when you have the time

Thanks for the clarification
Old 12-05-2004, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Thanks GearHead for the heads-up on the "take up" brackets... This is also my first Mercedes. I thought I knew my car pretty well and untill your warning, I didn't know they were even there... (and mine ARE all there).
Thanks again
Old 12-06-2004, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by GearHead
Hi Folks

I ran into this and I want to leave you folks a word of caution so that you don't run into the same problem.

I had to jack up my car to install the mud flaps and found that without the BLACK pads, the floor jack provided in the trunk area is useless. Please see the attached pictures for reference.

When I jacked one side of my car, the BLACK PAD was attached and I was not aware of any problem. When I attempted to jack up another side of my car, the BLACK PAD was missing on the other side. In fact after checking around, I discovered my car did not have the PADs at 3 of the 4 jack points. Not aware of the implication, I went ahead to jack up my car on one of the other location where the PAD is missing. Before long, the jack starting slipping and almost damaged the side skirt.

I hope I am the only one who happens to be unlucky to have these PADs missing. Please check out your car and make sure they are there. Without them, the floor jack in your trunk is USELESS.

Hope this bit of info helps
GearHead,

I just raised my car a few weeks ago to put the snow tires on, but I think I would have noticed if a take-up bracket would be missing. I will still check since I did not use the MB jack. This is my 3rd MB and the W211 has a totally different jack compared to the old one. Even if you would have had MBs before, (at least the ones I've had) it would not of helped you much. The old ones had a hole (that had a cap on it) on the side of the side-skirt in which you inserted the jack into.

But anyway. . . I have the same color car and I was thinking about mud flaps. Could you post some pictures (from various angles) so I can see what they look like and the Alabaster white? I am curious and don’t want to spring for them and then hate them.

All three of my MBs have been white, but the last two had a grey plastic trim along the bottom that did not get so dirty.

Thanks for the heads up!

Steve
Old 12-06-2004, 02:03 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Hi Steve

I hope these are good enough. If you need more close up pictures, let me know and I will try to find time to take them later this week. The flaps are not too protruding and does follow the contour pretty well (as compared to my wife's X5)

Pads for floor jack-img_0034.jpg

Pads for floor jack-img_0032.jpg
Old 12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Is spite of my car being an E320 and a 4 Matic, your car looks just like mine!! As you might know, I also bought the shades and now I have the winter tires and rims, but boy they look the same!

Well, the mud flaps look much better than I thought they wood look. Since the contrast between the white of the car and the black of tire is so great, I think that you don't really notice the flaps too much. Tell me what you think of them after you drive through some puddles.

Also, I am afraid of ripping mine off (if I put some on) since they do get full of ice in the winter. Also, I sometimes have to go over about 6 inches of packed snow. It is like driving over the curb of a sidewalk. I think that they might bend off or rip off.

The looks are not deterring me (thanks for showing me what they look like), but the possibility of wasting money is. I would hate to loose them after the first snow storm they are in.

I guess there are quite a few alabaster white W211s. I have only seen 2 or 3 around the Denver area. White is not as popular as it once was, but I love it!

Thanks a bunch!

Steve
Old 12-06-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Steve,

The mudflaps do bend a little and are flexable. For the cost of the mudflaps, even if you do ruin them in a winter, I think they are worth it. They really keep the yuck off the rocker panel and doors.

Jim
Old 12-06-2004, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JimPurdy
Steve,

The mudflaps do bend a little and are flexable. For the cost of the mudflaps, even if you do ruin them in a winter, I think they are worth it. They really keep the yuck off the rocker panel and doors.

Jim
If you don't mind me asking, how much were all 4? Also, I guess they were easy to install. Did you have to remove the wheel? If I do get them, I guess there will be some fraternal twins on this board. I say fraternal since my car looks the same but is not.

Steve
Old 12-06-2004, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Steve,

My price was under $90 as I remember for both sets. I am a member of MBCA and one my local dealer gives us a discount on parts for the first 10 days of the month. I think the list price was over $120. The installation takes longer to jack up the corner and take off the wheel than to install the mudflap. The instructions are very straightforward and even readable!

Jim
Old 12-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SAguirre
If you don't mind me asking, how much were all 4?
Steve,

Caliber Motors CA has been known to offer better than average pricing on parts & accessories. I would start here and then ask your dealer to match their price. There’s no guarantee that they will offer a lower price but if they do you will have a quote in hand to bargain with – calibermotors.com
Old 12-06-2004, 08:52 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by SAguirre
If you don't mind me asking, how much were all 4? Also, I guess they were easy to install. Did you have to remove the wheel? If I do get them, I guess there will be some fraternal twins on this board. I say fraternal since my car looks the same but is not.

Steve
Steve

Installing is relatively easy. In fact I didn't jack or remove my front tires. I turned my wheel left or right depending which wheel well I was working on for the front.

For the rear, did the install without jacking too but to finish the last self-tapping screw to prevent the flap from flapping, had to remove the wheel (thus jacking the car) to drill in the screw. This was when I found out that the BRACKET was needed.

Had some rain in LA this past weekend and the flaps do minimize the dirt spray on the rocker panels.

Hope this helps
Old 12-07-2004, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks to all for the information. I will probably order them, but I will make sure to check the price!

Thanks again!

Steve
Old 12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Steve,

Caliber Motors CA has been known to offer better than average pricing on parts & accessories. I would start here and then ask your dealer to match their price. There’s no guarantee that they will offer a lower price but if they do you will have a quote in hand to bargain with – calibermotors.com

Thanks a bunch for the heads up on price! I just ordered them with my dealer and they wanted $59 for each set. I got them down to $90 plus tax. So really, thanks a bunch.

Also, since the other thread popped up, I had my dealer order (6 652 8214) for the front, and then he ordered both the (6 632 82150 and the (6 652 8218) for the back. Since they do not stock them, I want to make sure that they fit and have the other part waiting so I don't have to.

Thanks again,

Steve