E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Non-smokers package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Non-smokers package

Does anyone know which cars come with the "smoker's package" and which come with the "non-smoker's package"? I don't think you can select as an option, or at least not on the mbusa website, to get the little mat and socket 12V cover.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think all cars come with it.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:25 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
They used to come with the mat. I would get the standard car and you won't get an ashtray and the cover. If you don't get the mat, ask for it.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Almost a Member!

E 320 CDI
I just got my 2005 E 320 CDI expecting to get the mat and 12 v plug but got the ashtray/lighter instead. I looked at about 12 new E's at the dealer and they were about 50/50 split with the lighter/plug. We couldn't figure out any reasoning behind which had which.

I now have the mat and I'm tracing the part numbers for 12 v plug. My next challange is to figure out how to remove the lighter assembly. The two 12 v plugs I saw at the parts counter at the dealer (neither one the correct on for this application) had spade connections for the wires and just pushed into the mounting hole until two clips snapped home. I assuming the one I'm looking for will be the same. The question is how to unclip it and pull it out the hole. I did a forum search and there was some discussion about it relative to tapping into the power for an MP3 player. I've got the new roll top center console and maybe that is the difference but the instructions I saw didn't make sense on my car. Anyone know how to remove the lighter socket?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:42 PM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by jrthiele
I just got my 2005 E 320 CDI expecting to get the mat and 12 v plug but got the ashtray/lighter instead. I looked at about 12 new E's at the dealer and they were about 50/50 split with the lighter/plug. We couldn't figure out any reasoning behind which had which.

I now have the mat and I'm tracing the part numbers for 12 v plug. My next challange is to figure out how to remove the lighter assembly. The two 12 v plugs I saw at the parts counter at the dealer (neither one the correct on for this application) had spade connections for the wires and just pushed into the mounting hole until two clips snapped home. I assuming the one I'm looking for will be the same. The question is how to unclip it and pull it out the hole. I did a forum search and there was some discussion about it relative to tapping into the power for an MP3 player. I've got the new roll top center console and maybe that is the difference but the instructions I saw didn't make sense on my car. Anyone know how to remove the lighter socket?
Yeah, doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind which comes with it and which doesn't. We got the mat and 12V socket cover. I haven't figured out how to remove the socket, although I do know how to remove the entire assembly, so if you have questions about that I can help you.

Does anyone know if the cigarette lighter, if I got that and didn't replace the socket, would still work in the socket?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
My car came with an ashtray and a mat that was in the glovebox. I guess I got both.

Steve
Old 11-29-2004, 01:19 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Got a '05 E320 4Matic loaner from my dealer. Had the 12V cover and storage compartment (no ash tray/lighter). Another decision made for us! Spare me!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:31 AM

2014 E350S4
Hmm, maybe only 4matics come without the ashtray/lighter? That would be kinda dumb, though...
Old 12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Almost a Member!

E 320 CDI
I did succesfully switch out the lighter plug for the newer 12 volt plug. My local dealership made a few calls to MB and came up with a part number for the 12 volt socket (with flip door). The box says A 000 820 31 51 and it cost about $18.50. BTW this assembly includes the small light which illuminates the ashtray area. I had the dealer install it and all went well.

They first removed the ashtray assembly from the console. The metal center of the lighter assembly (with the plastic electrical socket on it's end) was forcibly pushed out from the back side. Then the round plastic part of the socket (with a small light attached) could be removed. The 12 volt plug went in just the opposite with the outer round plastic part first. Then the metal center with the cap was pushed all the way in until it seated two clips on the sides. The electrical connector was identical for both.

I now have the non-smoker 12 volt plug and rubber mat.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Um my 05 has an ashtray and a 12volt plug.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:40 PM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by jrthiele
I did succesfully switch out the lighter plug for the newer 12 volt plug. My local dealership made a few calls to MB and came up with a part number for the 12 volt socket (with flip door). The box says A 000 820 31 51 and it cost about $18.50. BTW this assembly includes the small light which illuminates the ashtray area. I had the dealer install it and all went well.

They first removed the ashtray assembly from the console. The metal center of the lighter assembly (with the plastic electrical socket on it's end) was forcibly pushed out from the back side. Then the round plastic part of the socket (with a small light attached) could be removed. The 12 volt plug went in just the opposite with the outer round plastic part first. Then the metal center with the cap was pushed all the way in until it seated two clips on the sides. The electrical connector was identical for both.

I now have the non-smoker 12 volt plug and rubber mat.
So the sockets are different? It's not just the additional insertion of the 12V plastic cap?

Bob, yours came with the socket cover and the ashtray but no mat or lighter?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Almost a Member!

E 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Incendiary
So the sockets are different? It's not just the additional insertion of the 12V plastic cap?
Yes, they are not the same. The lighter socket has the mechanism to release the lighter once it is hot and has a light which illuminates the tray and a surrounding ring around the plug. The 12V socket has a slightly different contactor in the base (not sure if it will properly self release a hot lighter if one was plugged in and I'm not going to set my car on fire to test it!) and has the light only for the tray and not around the plug.

Hope this helps clarify things.