2004 E500 Brake Failure!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 348 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by Dwayneruark2
Brakes went out on my girlfriend while driving my Mercedes and resulted in a crash
now in limp mode and can't drive it and spent a lot of money on it and can't afford a nuther car and cant afford to miss work dont have a clue wat to do it just doesn't seem justified thay can get away with Mass producing a car that is so dangerous
Well, it’s a 20 year old car. Things do break. Sorry to hear that your incident caused an accident, though. Hope everyone is OK.

I didn’t like the SBC system because failures were unpredictable, as in your case and mine. I wouldn’t buy another car with SBC. But the history is well known and documented.

They didn’t “get away” with anything. They got the message. The SBC system was in the W211 only for 2003-2005. It is covered by a 25 year unlimited mileage warranty if you still own one.

Assuming the car isn’t totaled, MB can fix the brakes under warranty. Insurance can fix car as MB will deny responsibility for “incidental damage.” As far as getting to work until then, there’s Uber. If you want more, there’s lawyers. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 2005
Brake replacement protip question...

I read this recently: "remove the fuse for the brakes before working on them."

To begin brake job this week on my 2005 E500. Haven't heard the above on the many tutorials videos and such. I have been watching FCP Euro videos.

Is the recommendation legit? If so what is at issue?
Old 09-27-2023, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by fazooley
This is really the end of the end with this car. I've had so many problems with this vehicle and tonight it put me in serious jeapordy of killing myself or others on the road. I was driving down a busy road just about 200 feet before getting onto the highway to head home when all of a sudden loud rapid beeping and warning "Stop Car" "Brake Failure" in the instrument cluster. Almost crashed with a police car in front of me and was able to skid onto a side block. Once I got there I still didnt really understand what exactly was happening and again pressing the brakes absolutely nothing, no stopping power at all. I was lucky enough to be able to safely let the car roll to a stop; however if I would have driven a minute or so more I would have been at speeds of 70+ with failing brakes. MB roadside came and picked up the car and towed it over to the dealership and frankly I dont even want to get back into this thing. I don't want to have to worry everytime I get into this car about the brakes failing, which is unfortunately running through my head over and over. I've had the SBC brake recall performed not too long ago and thought there was some sort of backup system that would allow me to stop even if the electric one malfunctioned; however that did not activate at all. Has anyone had this partcular issue happen to them and any ideas of how I should approach my dealer. I really do not want to drive this car ever again

fazooley
Did you forget that your car has an emergency brake?
Old 09-27-2023, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 348 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by Doingmybest
I read this recently: "remove the fuse for the brakes before working on them."

To begin brake job this week on my 2005 E500. Haven't heard the above on the many tutorials videos and such. I have been watching FCP Euro videos.

Is the recommendation legit? If so what is at issue?
The right way to do it is to use Xentry or a good mid-level scanner to disable the SBC before working on the brakes.
There is also a complicated procedure to disable SBC using key clicks and HU buttons inside the car. It’s been about 10 years since I have had the E320 so I don’t remember the sequence.
Not disabling the SBC before brake work will result in damage or injury. The SBC sets the brakes when the car is unlocked or a door is opened to prevent roll away.
Pulling the fuse might work, and so might disconnecting the wiring harness at the control unit. But doing anything not approved could affect the function of the brakes and might turn out to be dangerous.
The following users liked this post:
nd-photo.nl (09-29-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:17 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
The right way to do it is to use Xentry or a good mid-level scanner to disable the SBC before working on the brakes.
There is also a complicated procedure to disable SBC using key clicks and HU buttons inside the car. It’s been about 10 years since I have had the E320 so I don’t remember the sequence.
Not disabling the SBC before brake work will result in damage or injury. The SBC sets the brakes when the car is unlocked or a door is opened to prevent roll away.
Pulling the fuse might work, and so might disconnecting the wiring harness at the control unit. But doing anything not approved could affect the function of the brakes and might turn out to be dangerous.
I have about 202K mi. On my 2006, roughly 2014 I started doing my own work, never pulled a fuse or disconnected the SBC cable to do brakes. Twice while have the caliper off the disc I forgot and opened a front driver door and the other time a passenger door. I wasn’t doing a brake job either time but working on the suspension and bearings. The SBC energized and pushed the piston out about 3 mm, thats all. Opened the bleeder and pushed it back in. And my brakes still stop on a dime when requested! Oh and where I got this idea from, watching a Mercedes tech do my brakes, I asked “did you have to disable the SBC? “ he said “no, I never do”,so…

Last edited by ot1; 10-02-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:30 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Dwayneruark2
Brakes went out on my girlfriend while driving my Mercedes and resulted in a crash
now in limp mode and can't drive it and spent a lot of money on it and can't afford a nuther car and cant afford to miss work dont have a clue wat to do it just doesn't seem justified thay can get away with Mass producing a car that is so dangerous
You are in the USA, there is an extended warranty on the SBC system, you should be covered to have it repaired for free. Is your center display lite up red?
Old 10-03-2023, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 452 Likes on 394 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Extended warranty is also applicable in EU, I got my SBC unit replaced earlier this year (without charge) after it failed on me on the highway