Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Talking Finally an E500 Owner! Some comparisons and observations

Hello,

Well as some of you know, I've been contemplating my E500 purchase for the past 2-3 months, after not being able to find an 04, I went ahead and ordered an '05. But as things worked themselves out, I managed to find an 04 at a really great price. Just as a reference point, I've had a 98 LS400, 00 323i, 00 Jetta, 04 Mazda3 (don't ask), 01 540 and currently also have an 01 Boxster. Since only the 540 is the closest in year and class, I have some observations to compare it to.

I've had it for several weeks now and it's an absolute blast. I find that the Adaptive air suspension is great for almost eliminating body lean on curves--it's like having more than one car! Though in all fairness, I feel that the 540 handled nose diving and the like better... (it almost had none--and the suspension was just as compliant, though it would lean more in turns).

The active Curve illumination for the Xenons are ridiculous, it took a little getting used to during the first 10 miles, now whenever I get in other cars, I look for it! It's such a simple concept that makes such a difference.

Thanks to "brav" I started looking for the Panorama moonroof and am very happy with it (the car I ordered had the regular one), if anything, it makes for a unique "cool" factor, and coupled with a power rear sunshade, I can still darken the car when I'm in that mood.

"hlkc" also recommended the power trunk, another nice toy to play w/ (I like opening it at a stop when in front of friends and then closing it again, get's a big laugh!). And actually, with the recent rains, it's come in handy, I do like how it opens all the way, yet how you can also control how high it goes.

I know that the car is faster than my 540 (by about .2 0-60 perhaps), but it sure doesn't feel that way because of the 7 speed transmission... upshifts/downshifts are so smooth, I can hardly feel the torque... though don't get me wrong, it's a great engine and certainly has the power when
needed. This must be a MB thing? I'd imagine that BMW would dial in a bit more "neck-snapping" response. Though I don't like or dislike it, just a different way of approaching something.

With the recent rains and cold weather in SoCal, I've really been enjoying the REST feature to keep the car warm while I'm running errands, the puddle lamps under the mirrors are great, and the center fresh air vent dial comes in handy when trying to cool my face and warm my feet... and the heated steering wheel is a welcome feature.

I am now beginning to understand what the whole Mercedes Benz luxury mystique is about---I started cross shopping w/ the Acura TL/RL, and the 545i, and briefly thought of a Jag XJ (but I think after the Mazda, I'm steering away from Ford products) but felt that in design, the benz looked the best (at any price). It's also got some unique features that I can't find on the others. Truth be told though, if the 545i had a better interior I really may have gone for that since I'm surprised that I got used to the exterior--and it's driving dynamic is slightly better.. but BMW lost me for at least 7 more years--until the next 5er redesign.

The only problem is that the E500 came w/ the sirius system installed and they put that aweful black antenna on the trunk... but I think I will paint it body color and will be able to deal with it. I took out the center bar in the front bumper that comes w/ the appearance package, to try to give it a more agressive (flared nostril) look.... I'm still deciding if I like it or not.

The only options I did not get that I originally wanted was the vented seats and drive dynamic seats (my bus. partner has DD and he mentioned that it occasionally stops working--that would drive me crazy)... and I suppose I won't miss the vented seats.

I look forward to contributing to this group and sharing our passion for such a great car!

Last edited by aomE500; 01-04-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Glad you like it, sure looks a nice car.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats on the great ride!

By the way, what problems did u have with the Mazda3?
I am contemplating one for my sister in college. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:32 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Great review.. Yes, with the 7 speed you look down and say to yourself - "Wow am I really going this fast..".

The bumper and taking the center thing out, can you post a better pic please.. Also, how did you take it out? I was thinking about doing that and putting in that black wire mesh - I think that would look nice.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
How did the LS400 compare to the BMW and Mercedes?
  • Reliability
  • Handling
  • Comfort
  • Performance
  • Service
  • quality
Old 01-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Reply: Mazda3

Thanks for the input!

The Mazda3 was a great car, wonderful (and I mean wonderful) handling, and features, w/ the xenon, NAV, etc. it was untouchable in it's class. However, I got the 2.3 and the mileage was no where near what published EPA for the Auto (I later found out from a few message boards that this is common, since the 2.3 is tuned for perf. rather than econ). They claimed 24/29 and I would get more like 19/22-23, no matter what I did I couldn't get decent mileage. I did once drive 65 mph w/o AC on a hot day on the freeway (partially downhill) for 100 miles an I did get about 26!!!

Also, I imagine that the first year had some teething issues, check engine lights came on which turned out to be a problem w/ some EGR or other exhaust issue. Also my drivers side auto down window would sometime stop half-way, they replaced the motor, but 1 week later it came back--I just gave up and didn't care anymore. It was as bad as being in a german car, so that's when I decided to go back.

Also, their loaner policy is a joke (unless the car is in for a known recall, forget about getting a loaner).

That said, I'm sure that the 2005s will be better and to it's credit, if you don't really put that much weight on the mileage, the other things were small at best. It never did leave me stranded and after the initial 2 months of problems, it was pretty reliable after that.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Reply: Bumper

Sure, I'll take better pics of the front bumper, right when the weather clears up.

It's really easy to take that center thing off (took me 3 min after I figured it out), just held on by some tabs via pressure. I'm sure I can take photos of it off and it will be pretty clear from there.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Reply: LS400

FYI, I sold the car to my mom w/ 98k miles about a year ago, it now has 112,000 and has been complete completely trouble free.

The car has been trouble free all it's years, in contrast to the 540, I'd almost classify the 540 as a lemon (though don't get me wrong, it wasn't. But we're looking at 0 problems vs. 30 smallish ones w/ the 540).

Comfort, the LS400 has more rear legroom than either my 540 or E500, the seats were wider and overall the car just was a better highway cruiser.

Handling was deplorable, like a landbarge compared to the BMW or Benz. Its body lean and nose diving was just scary, it absolutely did not inspire confidence. Perhaps new or diff. shocks towards the end may have helped.

It's a fast car though, I'd put it almost as fast as my 540 and E500, regardless, it would give those cars a run for it's money. Great flat torque, kept pulling like a freight train and after all these miles, still smooth as silk. Wonderful mileage 19/23-26

Service was first rate, they served finger sandwiches in the Lexus Dealer lounge, kept me continually updated, etc. Too bad though I rarely visited them since the car worked so well.

Quality/fit and finish, both BMW and MB could take a lesson on... padded vinyl everywhere, tight tolerances, etc. The only thing... that really bothered me was having the same switchgear as a Camry or Corolla... but I suppose if it ain't broke.

I thought about an '05 LS430, but hated the SUV look of the dashboard and the generic design, also it didn't quite drive the same as the MB.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Great review.

Regarding the centerpiec removal, it never even crossed my mind to take that out. I will have to take a look at that now.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Welcome to the board! I look forward to reading more of your posts. I'm not sure if I like the center piece removed. The lower front apron was one of the reasons I had to get the appearance package in the first place. Without it it almost looks like the standard apron (except for the fogs of course).
Old 01-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Yes

Yes, that's why I'm still wondering about it...

But when I look at the AMG bumper, I find that since they didn't put that centerpiece, it looks closer to an AMG bumper than the regular one (esp. w/ the front bumper lip).

But I'm still torn... if anything... it's a really cheap mod.. hehe
Old 01-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Appearance

Standard

AMG

Yours
Old 01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Excellent!

I was thinking of doing that... but it helps to see it from those different angles. Of course, now (if only for lazyness) I think I will keep it off! hehe

Thanks for the post!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Nice job Samoan..