E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320/350 or E500 Wagon Purchase Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320/350 or E500 Wagon Purchase Advice?

Hello all! I am new to this board and would like to ask a few questions. I am a BMW man but have decided to explore the purchase of either a E320 or E500 Wagon. I know BMW is coming out with the new 5-series wagon in the near future, but it does not have the main element my wife and I are looking for: 3rd row seat (We have another kid on the way and need the extra cargo capacity/functionality). Frankly, the interior styling of the E-Class is much nicer due to it being more traditional, conservative German design. We are typically of a more sporty nature which is why we have bought BMW's over Mercedes in the past (things have changed).

I would like to ask those who have experience with both the E320 or E500 to please provide me some input. I am curious about the handling dynamics between the two and the power issue is pretty obvious. I will eventually go the dealership and drive the two models, but in the meantime I would like to get some feedback from you guys that have real world experience and insight of this model. Also, the 4matic is an option I will get if I opt for the 320. We are always driving in bad weather due to the amount of traveling we do. Is the navigation system worth the money?

Thanks in advance,

Michel
Old 01-15-2005, 07:53 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
I took delivery on an E500 Wagon a week ago. I ordered it in September. If I were in the market for a similar wagon today, I think I'd get the E350, which has almost the horsepower and better gas mileage. The E500 has terrible mileage, 2-3 mi/gal worse than a 745 I had that had a more powerful engine, weighed more, and punched a bigger hole in the air.

A few points:

1) In the BMW wagons, the rear seat back folds down on top of the rear seat cushion. In the Mercedes wagons, the rear seat cushion folds forward, then the rear seat back folds down. This gives a lot more headroom for dogs and cargo than in the BMW. I think it's moot for US customers, since the BMW five-series wagon in not currently available in the US.

2) The rear-facing third row of seats in the E500 are suitable only for small children. If your small child has an iPod, there is a 12 volt outlet back there.

3) The E500 doesn't handle like a 545. Too bad, but there it is. It does handle quite respectably well, but doesn't beg you to throw it into the corners. Rather, it says, well if that's what you want to do, I'll do it competantly.

4) The new soft-key-centric COMAND system is better than iDrive and slightly better than the old twist-and-press COMAND, but still has a few maddening elements in the GUI.

5) Overall, I am very happy with the car. I never drove the E320, since my other cars are an SL55 and a BMW 540i Sport, and I was worried that the less-powerful car would be too much of a contrast in performance.

Jim

Last edited by CASL55; 01-15-2005 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-15-2005, 11:59 PM
mhh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
I picked up my new E500 wagon on Dec 22 and I've done 4000km already taking the family on an interstate vacation. I'm very impressed. The car is roomier than the V70 Volvo it replaced, much quicker and more economical too. I got 9.8 l/100km (someone can translate) yesterday travelling the 800km from Melbourne to Adelaide - admittedly at the modest speeds the highway patrol insists on. (Australian E-classes are all RWD with no AWD available.)

I drove a 545i sedan in November - although it handled nicely, I didn't like the interior. Like you, the third row seating was a must-have so the BMW wasn't an option anyway.

I didn't consider the E320 as I need more performance. Once fully laden, the E500 is just powerful enough. An E55 would be the ultimate, but would probably scare my wife who is the main driver (and my bank manager wouldn't have been too impressed either).

The satnav is essential for me, but isn't a good example of its type. The controls are confusing and non-intuitive. In Australia at least, the DVD available street data is poor. It barely competes with the CD version in my C32. But I would still have it if ordering again today.

Good luck with your purchase. Either way you can't go wrong - the E is the ultimate wagon.

Here's the car in Tasmania
Attached Thumbnails E320/350 or E500 Wagon Purchase Advice?-tasmania.jpg  

Last edited by mhh; 01-16-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:58 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
As I read the original post, it was though I had written it. I too was interested in the 5 series wagon, which I have been told will be a 530iT AWD for the NA market. I drove the 545i Sedan and was thourghly impressed with the performance, but the styling just didn't do it for me. The inside looks cheap and for $60K, I just didn't love it. Although I have not driven the E350 Wagon (will in coming weeks), I went ahead and ordered one. Based on what I have read about the E500 and E320, I figured I couldn't go wrong with the E350. The 3d row seating is a must for us and I love the styling both inside and out. Living in Germany, I see plenty of wagons (European minivan) but owning a MB wagon in the states will be a rare treat. I have had a 525iT (wagon) for the last 10 years, there aren't many on the US roads, which for me was pretty cool. I'm not one to get what everyone else is has (which is one reason I didn't go with the Silver color on my E350). I'll pick up my E350 Wagon in March and will post details on what I believe will be one of the first E350 built for the NA market. Good luck with you decision. As you read more and more on this site, your decision will not be a difficult one.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
The US is slowly (very slowly) started to look at diesel powered vehicles. The new BMW 535 Estate is performance wise far, far superior to the 320CDI Mercedes-Benz.

This vehicle has been released, the 5 series Estate is in production. If you are even Slightly interested in getting a 5 series, I would read up on the specs before making any decision delivery to the US cannot be to far off?

The design (shape) of the BMW was a big turn off for me, and again my very own personal opinion is that the interior of the BMW is not to 'My liking'.

As you say though I cannot find any mention of rear seats. (I hate them and have VERY strong views about this seperate issue)

Good luck with both your choice and your expected child.

Regards,
John
Old 01-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I think I will wait for the E350 wagon to arrive at the dealership before I compare it to the E500 wagon.

When I was at the Washington Auto Show I spoke with a BMW rep and she said that BMW has no intentions of providing a third row seat option on their wagon in the near future. I believe they are making a huge mistake (Audi as well). After we left the BMW exhibit we wandered past the Mercedes exhibit and an E320 wagon caught my wife's eye. We went over to look at it and the rep told us that it was available with a third row seat. I was surprised because I thought I had reaearched all wagons with third row seats thoroughly and Mercedes did not have one. Well, I was wrong. We ended up purchasing an SUV a couple of months ago in order to fulfill our requirements of People/Cargo. We did not even consider purching a Volvo wagon beacause it came off as having a cheap interior, loud motor, and I did not like the styling. We will be getting rid of the SUV and turn our attention toward the Mercedes Wagon. My wife and I do not like driving SUV's. We like the handling and convenience of cars, especially the gas mileage.

When we looked at the wagon at the Auto Show my wife fell in love with the car and decided this is what she wanted. She will be the primary driver and likes to have fun driving. This is why she has driven BMW's in the past, as well as I have. I am sure the Mercedes will be very capable of meeting our expectations of having a good handling/safe vehicle. It may not perform like a BMW, but it will fit the bill for a family hauler that has style.

I have a gut feeling I will lean toward the E500 just because of the HP and Torque. We do allot of traveling on the interstate and will pack the car with tons of luggage/people. This will make a difference when we want the car to move on demand. The test drive will reveal this. Also, how functional are the third row seats in this wagon. We did not get a chance to experience how it works because the latch on the demo car was broken. We have a four year old and have one on the way. We only intend to use it for the kids when we need to haul around other adults in the rear seats.

Again, thanks for the input! I will check the board to keep up with all of the feedback on the new 350 as well as any problems people may be experiencing with their cars.

Thanks,

Michel
Old 01-16-2005, 02:44 PM
mhh

Originally Posted by mmm635
Also, how functional are the third row seats in this wagon. We did not get a chance to experience how it works because the latch on the demo car was broken. We have a four year old and have one on the way. We only intend to use it for the kids when we need to haul around other adults in the rear seats.
The rear facing seats are very comfortable for our 7 year old, and no problem for our 10 year old. There is usually a fight for them when the kids have friends over.

BTW, the BMW cargo area isn't large enough for the rear facing seats - even if someone in marketing decided it would be a good idea. The MB has a much larger load area and takes a huge amount of luggage - more even than the spacious Volvo.

Another advantage of the E500 ( in Australia at least) is the Airmatic suspension. This thing has a silky ride!

Here's a pic of the seat with the kids
Attached Thumbnails E320/350 or E500 Wagon Purchase Advice?-rear-seat.jpg  

Last edited by mhh; 01-16-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:07 PM
SCH
Almost a Member!

911 Turbo, M5, E55 wagon
I am not a big Mercedes fan (a couple of bad experiences over the years), however, as you noted the BMW wagon has never had a lot of cargo space plus the new 5 series styling is “different.” As such, the E-Class wagon was pretty much the only one that would work for me.

You need to drive both the V6 and the V8 and make your own conclusions; however, for me the E500 was the clear choice. The power difference was pretty dramatic although that difference may be somewhat mitigated with the new V6 engine. The E500’s also have the air suspension (optional on the V6) which does allow you to firm up the ride to give the car a sportier feel.

The driving characteristics of the car are good but not great. I have issues with the steering feel and in particular the brakes although both seem to be issues raised by many. Be sure and order the power tailgate. It is a handy feature. You can still close the hatch manually if necessary to avoid getting fingers (or paws and tails in my case) caught. The Nav system is DVD based and works fine if it is something you will use. Another unnecessary but fun toy is the drive dynamic seats.

I have had the wagon for about six months and am pleased to report no issues to date.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 AM
mhh

SCH, we toured California in October, and your neighbourhood was our favorite!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:13 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
I have an 04 E320 4matic wagon and an 05 E500 sedan. If I had to do it all over again, I would not get the 320 engine. Its just a tad underpowered. The 350 may cure this. The air suspension is standard on the 500 and the ride is better too. Also, the 320 now comes with analog AC controls and you can no longer order the rear seat controls and get digital that way. IMHO, the E500 is the way to go -- but then I've not seen or had a chance to drive an E350.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:56 PM
SCH
Almost a Member!

911 Turbo, M5, E55 wagon
MHH:

You must have gotten a sunny day! Actually it is a wonderful place with the exception of the summer costal fog and some of the wacky tourists who stop in the middle of the road and exit their rental vehicles to take photos of the scenery or the deer on the golf courses.

If you ever make it back you might want to visit during the third week of August for the car shows. The big Italian show is always a great time with an extensive group vehicles:

http://www.concorso.com/

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.com/
Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 PM

03 E55
I own both, they are both great cars (my 320 is a 2000 tho'). I have also spent 2 weeks using a brand-new E320 wagon when my E500 was in for paintowork.

With that said, I think the biggest and most obvious difference is the low end torque.

The next difference revolves around how the cars are "optioned". For instance, the E320 I used was pretty much stripped; did not have airmatic, rear climate controls, nicer leather, etc. It really drove a lot differently. To compare the 320 to the 500 you would have to option-up the 320; you then close the gap in price between the two vehicles.

You need to decide how much luxury/options/status you need and make a decision from that. You also MUST drive both. The 350 will not be remarkably different from a 320. My .02, good luck....DarkStar
Old 01-18-2005, 09:30 PM

Good Info!

I want to thank all you guys for the info on the wagons. It will help when my wife and I make a decision between the two.

Michel
Old 01-18-2005, 11:36 PM
mhh

Originally Posted by SCH
MHH:

You must have gotten a sunny day! Actually it is a wonderful place with the exception of the summer costal fog and some of the wacky tourists who stop in the middle of the road and exit their rental vehicles to take photos of the scenery or the deer on the golf courses.

If you ever make it back you might want to visit during the third week of August for the car shows. The big Italian show is always a great time with an extensive group vehicles:

http://www.concorso.com/

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.com/
Thanks SCH. When we return, it'll have to be in August!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 PM

E320 4matic wagon, BMW M5
Third Row Seats for kids

We bought the E320 wagon in September primarily for the third row seat. Our kids are 3 and 5. My five year old fits into the third seat without a booster (Not sure how legal this is). It's great when we have three adults along. We only let him do this on local drives. I'd be interested to hear how safe people think the third seat is.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Are you saying my E350 wagon will have the E500 A/C controls? I have noticed that in the pictures of the E350 I've seen on the internet. I actually sat in a 350 wagon in a German dealership and it had the standard 320 dial . I'm test driving a 350 (Euro Spec) on Sat. I'll post my thoughts. My car should be here in early March. I have driven a 545i, a 320CDI, currently have a 525iT and used to have a 740iL, so it will be interesting to see how the 350 compares.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by e350
Are you saying my E350 wagon will have the E500 A/C controls? I have noticed that in the pictures of the E350 I've seen on the internet. I actually sat in a 350 wagon in a German dealership and it had the standard 320 dial . I'm test driving a 350 (Euro Spec) on Sat. I'll post my thoughts. My car should be here in early March. I have driven a 545i, a 320CDI, currently have a 525iT and used to have a 740iL, so it will be interesting to see how the 350 compares.
Hi e350,
Are you saying that your 320CDI has not got the optional 4 zone and you really wanted it?

Regards,
John
Old 01-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Almost a Member!

I may have confused. I don't have a CDI, I have just driven one. I have never had a MB, I have a 350 wagon on order and was wondering, as someone has suggested, if I will have the digital A/C controls vice the dial. I didn't think I could order 4 zone even If I wanted one. Remeber...I'm talking a US spec car.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Almost a Member!

From the UK brochure the third row seats will take children of up to height 140cm and 50kg in weight. "It has its own head restraints and three point seatbelts. The car has a strong rear end structure which incorporates additional design meaures in the body shell so as to offer passengers in the third row the greatest possible safety." Taken from 2005 S211 brochure.