E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E-Class Owners: What do you think of the ML or comparable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Lionhead,
It is a pity that the estate is not a popular vehicle in the US as I believe it is an excellent, versatile presentable car, that even comes with the 4Matic option. However if it has some sort of weird 'image' then that is a problem.

The new M-class has had better reviews compared to the ML. It's annoying that the new vehicle does NOT have the latest 350 engine that you will soon be seeing in the E-class.

If you are thinking of buying new, then I would prefer the new model compared to the old even though there might be a 'few' bugs to iron out. The new vehicle evidently has much more room over its predessor, and that was one of my many complaints about the ML.

On our news we have seen some startling\scary demonstrations in the US of people who do not like SUV's. Graffitti in driveways, harrassing housewifes taking their children to school and even damaging these vehicles? Is this scare mongering on behalf of the journalists, or is there a problem that you might accidentally get involved in?

Regards and good luck,
John

Some reports, but nothing widespread. I remember when a Hummer dealership was vandalized by some environmental organization. That is the only thing that stands out. Quite frankly, I think there is more damange done to people's cars that are expensive (read the recent thread on this board) than anything else.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by alewifebp
Some reports, but nothing widespread. I remember when a Hummer dealership was vandalized by some environmental organization. That is the only thing that stands out. Quite frankly, I think there is more damange done to people's cars that are expensive (read the recent thread on this board) than anything else.
Hi Ale,
What I saw was quite rediculous. It even featured some stupid people trying to say that buying the alleged extra fuel for the SUV was 'funding terrorism'. There were body outlines sprayed onto house owners driveways with all sorts of rediculous comments sprayed onto the tarmac. The demonstrations outside of schools I found especially offensive because this was quite simply intimidating women and children.

Regards,
John
Old 01-26-2005, 12:33 PM

Volvo just let our their XC90 V8 with a 6spd. A good friend has a T6, which is fast, but could be faster. Very comfortable, a traction control system that is worlds beyond any other, and its safe. SAAB has one coming out, but its just a glorified GMC of some sort...
Old 01-26-2005, 12:55 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Ale,
What I saw was quite rediculous. It even featured some stupid people trying to say that buying the alleged extra fuel for the SUV was 'funding terrorism'. There were body outlines sprayed onto house owners driveways with all sorts of rediculous comments sprayed onto the tarmac. The demonstrations outside of schools I found especially offensive because this was quite simply intimidating women and children.

Regards,
John
There is a lot of anti-SUV talk and commentary in the US, but "direct action" against SUVs (as opposed to talk) is very limited. SUVs are just too common, too mainstream, and too varied to be subject to "direct action" as a group. What's the point of demonstrating against a mini-SUV like the Toyota RAV4, or criticizing somebody for hauling their family in a car-based SUV like the BMW X-5?

One group encourages putting critical bumper stickers on LARGE truck-based SUVs (
http://www.changingtheclimate.com/ ) and the Hummer H2 ( http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/humme...iZwUdUF6SIib8F ) is particular source of outrage for many folks because it's so in-your-face. It's pretty much a four-wheeled political statement. Somebody torched a lot of Hummers at a dealership in the LA area a year or two ago.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Personally - I think the H2 is a complete POS.

This site has a bunch of pics of people giving the H2 the bird.

Juvenile as hell but funny.

http://fuh2.com/submissions.php

60% of the H2s i see are laughable. 24" spinners, more chrome than a CPAs Harley and enough wattage in the stereo to cause global warming.

100% ghetto-fab.

Last edited by lig; 01-26-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:43 PM

My wife has the RX330. I only drive her car instead of my E when we need to get big things, it is snowing or if I just came back from driving thousands of miles and I want a change. All other times we cruise in the E.

The Lexus seats provide no long term support and my back kills me after long drives. The RX insulation and engineering also does not impress me. I really liked the Touareg but she chose the RX. I would clearly go Touareg, XC or Land Rover...

GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:09 PM

'06 SL65
glojo: Thanks for the info. I called my dealer and they advised the '06 is arriving around May. I might just wait. I haven't heard about the graffitti and harrassment here in Chicago but I can see this happening possibly more in the West Coast (nothing against you guys in the west coast). That is sad but hell....if you want to buy a big, gas guzzling, monster of a SUV....go for it, last I check it was a free country.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Hi Lionhead...I took a good look at the '06 on German Car Fans and was really impressed with the new model. I was all hyped up on the fact that the 320CDI diesel is going to end up in that thing. Probably towards the end of the year though. I think it is a good idea to wait until you can test drive one before you decide.

I have settled on a 2006 E350 wagon with Appearance and Premium, plus some other goodies. I lost my lifelong best friend (46 unbelievable years) and partner in late November to a 7 1/2 year battle with cancer so I am going to do some traveling to cope with the loss. I have always had wagons and want what I think is the best wagon in the market to do my traveling in. I am hoping delivery can be in April and looks possible at this point. Pricing is not yet available but should be within a couple of weeks.

Good luck on finding the right SUV....
Old 01-27-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
I too am very excited when the new M CDI shows up. It will be the perfect addition to the family. I had a chance to check out the details on german car fans and loved it. This will definetely be a homerun for MBUSA.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:49 PM

05 C320 sport coupe
I got an 03 or 04 ML350 as a loaner and I hated it. very sloowwww and the interior is horrible. Th elexus RS has no power, but it will have V8 availability next year.

I say BMW x5 is the way to go. Much better looking than the ML and better ride qualities...just my .02 cents
Old 01-29-2005, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Silvergt02
I got an 03 or 04 ML350 as a loaner and I hated it. very sloowwww and the interior is horrible. Th elexus RS has no power, but it will have V8 availability next year.

I say BMW x5 is the way to go. Much better looking than the ML and better ride qualities...just my .02 cents
Check out the new ML before you jump to a BMW...information looks like they did a pretty good job on the 2006. The 350 engine is the new one, not the 3 valve unit in the present ML350. Check out GermanCarFans for a detailed look.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:55 AM

'06 SL65
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Hi Lionhead...I took a good look at the '06 on German Car Fans and was really impressed with the new model. I was all hyped up on the fact that the 320CDI diesel is going to end up in that thing. Probably towards the end of the year though. I think it is a good idea to wait until you can test drive one before you decide.

I have settled on a 2006 E350 wagon with Appearance and Premium, plus some other goodies. I lost my lifelong best friend (46 unbelievable years) and partner in late November to a 7 1/2 year battle with cancer so I am going to do some traveling to cope with the loss. I have always had wagons and want what I think is the best wagon in the market to do my traveling in. I am hoping delivery can be in April and looks possible at this point. Pricing is not yet available but should be within a couple of weeks.

Good luck on finding the right SUV....
Hello Neveda Bob.......Very sorry about your loss. It must be a difficult time for you and your family at this time.

I do like the pics of the '06 but I figured there are going to be markups on them as they are new and my budget is $40K or under as this is just going to be a work vehicle and nothing more. My dealer has a couple '05 ML but they are all over $42K list. He did find some around the country that is under $40K. Once I can get back on my feet, I'm going to check all the makes and models and decide then.

Great news about the wagon! Will you be keeping the E320 also? Keep us updated once your wagon arrives.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
Hello Neveda Bob.......Very sorry about your loss. It must be a difficult time for you and your family at this time.

I do like the pics of the '06 but I figured there are going to be markups on them as they are new and my budget is $40K or under as this is just going to be a work vehicle and nothing more. My dealer has a couple '05 ML but they are all over $42K list. He did find some around the country that is under $40K. Once I can get back on my feet, I'm going to check all the makes and models and decide then.

Great news about the wagon! Will you be keeping the E320 also? Keep us updated once your wagon arrives.
Thanks Lionhead.

I understand about the ML...if you keep it simple and in line with what you "need" then you will come out ahead.

I will be trading the 320...I only have 7,100 miles on it and two cars at this point in my life would really be gilding the lily...:-) I will drive you guys nuts with pictures and web sites when the wagon arrives.

Jack
Old 01-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Will the 7 seat option be available in the 2006 model ML as in the current version as family pack?. Otherwise i may have to upgrade to a S211 which isn't my preffered choice.