E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear Folding Seats Retrofit??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me:04 E320 Pewter:Wife:04 E320 White
Rear Folding Seats Retrofit??

Anyway to get the rear folding seat option on a 2004 E that did not come with it? Appreciate any input.

Thanks Jeff
Old 01-24-2005, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by MB4Fun
Anyway to get the rear folding seat option on a 2004 E that did not come with it? Appreciate any input.

Thanks Jeff

Well, like anything on these cars, it is not that simple. These are some things that the system does that would have to be retrofitted.

You would have to replace the whole top and bottom part of the seats. That is probably the easy part of the whole thing.

These are the little logic functions:

If either seat back is not properly latched, you will get a message on the MFD. Also, if the front seats are too far back to recline the rear seats forward, the computer will automatically move the corresponding front seat forward so the rear seats can fold. You also hear a beep every time the rear of the seats are latched or unlatched. Also, if the headrests are up when you release the seat back from the trunk, the headrest is automatically retracted. This might be easily set by the Star Diagnostics, but who knows?

Also, you will have to have the release latch installed in the trunk.

I am sure it is possible, but it is probably cost prohibitive.

I hope this helps,

Steve A
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Remove your two side trunk liners (you need to remove the two Torx T20s in the tie downs on each side, and two plastic expanding rivets near the top). Then remove the back trunk liner.

Do you now see a solid sheet of metal? If so, stop there.

(If that doesn't matter to you, there are SO MANY parts that would need to be replaced... such as the two trunk liners we removed in the previous step... the cargo tie downs are bolted down with bolts instead of little screws... the hat tray is different... it just goes on and on.)

-s-
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 PM

Thanks Steve...I was thinking if I could get it done for under a $1000 it would be worth it to me. Doesn't sound like it is realistic to even get done as I would have to individually try and figure out all the parts I need and then order from dealer.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB4Fun
Thanks Steve...I was thinking if I could get it done for under a $1000 it would be worth it to me. Doesn't sound like it is realistic to even get done as I would have to individually try and figure out all the parts I need and then order from dealer.
I would be more concerned about that metal plate that would block the way between the trunk and passenger space after you fold the seats down! Doesn't make sense to fold the seats if you have no access to the trunk.

And for the cost, you would need lots and lots of parts, but let's price just three of them: two trunk liners, about $150. Seat cushion cover, about $700. That's without the seat backs, and we're just talking the leather covers, not the foamy stuff inside.

P.S. I'm not Steve... Steve is the nice one.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 01-24-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by scorchie
P.S. I'm not Steve... Steve is the nice one.
-s-
Thank you very much for the complement Scorchie!! I am not nice; I am just diplomatic (sometimes). I did not think about the points you brought up! I find that some options are very well integrated in the car and are well worth the money (compared to retro fitting). I put in the bi-xenons and I love them, but it would have been a bit cheaper to order them and you would also have headlight washers! I am not even going to think about how much it would const to install them!

I once sat in the back seat of a current model Chevy Impala and they had something loose in the trunk. When they stopped hard, the SCUBA tank hit the back of the seat and really hurt me on the other side. The car did not even have the rear trunk access! The seat backing in that car (and on an ex-girlfriend's Cavalier) is cardboard. I could not believe how unsafe they are! The Mercedes has really strong latches (like door latches) and the back of the seats (on the trunk side) are very very solid. I guess that they are making sure that the seat back on the folding rear seats is are least as strong as the thin sheet of metal. Yet again, another reason German cars are much safer.

Steve (the nice one)
Old 01-24-2005, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SAguirre
Thank you very much for the complement Scorchie!! I am not nice; I am just diplomatic (sometimes).
He wasn't even addressing me... so I just threw that one in. Hahaha!

-s-

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks to both of you...sounds like it is easier to buy a different car.

Jeff