Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Retro-fitting "REST" feature on non-"REST" 2005 car

Hello,

I have an '05 CDI built 08/2004.

It did not show up with "REST" even though at the time I ordered, and to this day, literature advertises "REST" as a standard feature.

Yes, I'm upset about the bait-and-switch. But that's not my issue for this post.
Does anyone know how much work it would be to re-fit the car with "REST?"

There is one key feature that makes me think it would not be hard: there exists, below the ABS Brake Module, an electric coolant recirculation pump in line with the heater hose.
IF you leave the key switched on, but engine off, the heater continues to blow hot for about 45 minutes. I just checked it in my garage, it was 45 degrees in the garage, and by leaving heat on full hot with sunroof and doors open, I raised the temp inside my 2 car garage to 68 degrees.

So, anybody know what parts (besides obviously the dash unit) would need to be removed and replaced?

Thanks
KB
Old 02-06-2005, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Funny you should post this today. I stopped at a store in my week old W211, went to put it on rest as my dog was with me and to my surprise no rest!!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:44 PM

Angry It's not funny...

Yes the literature says something to the effect "features and specifications can change without notice" BUT

I bought my car in September, and paper literature AS WELL AS MBUSA.COM continue to claim this feature.

The slippery slope is: where does de-contenting/disappearing features end? The ENGINE is one of the features....what if you signed a binding contract to buy the car, and then that "feature" was not included. Obviously, that would not fly, but what size of ommission/misleading advertising is acceptable? A feature valued at $500, $3500, or what? Somewhere there is an unwritten boundary that cannot be transgressed, but legally, there isn't.

THAT is precisely why we should make MB keenly aware of displeasure with such practices, that NO level of misleading advertising is acceptable.

BTW you must have a very disciplined dog to be allowed to occupy a brand-new Benz unsupervised.

KB

Last edited by cdiken; 02-06-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
"To me" the rest feature is nothing but useless fluff.... I have it in my car and have never used it... Hell I don't even know if it works???? And I'm sure I'm not alone. This is probably the reason why they don't offer any more.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 AM

You're in California....I agree, useless....unless

Here it can get very cold....teens and 20's are common at winter....and I make short stops, like working out at the gym, and coming out in the cold with wet hair from shower...I find it useful. It was slimy of MB to exclude the feature quietly. IF they stated it would cost extra, I would be willing to forego a few bucks to get the REST mode.

Anyways, my "big picture" argument is that, next time, it might be a feature you personally do find useful. Its like a terrorist; you don't know when and where it will strike, until after it happens.

KB

Last edited by cdiken; 02-07-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by cdiken
Here it can get very cold....teens and 20's are common at winter....and I make short stops, like working out at the gym, and coming out in the cold with wet hair from shower...I find it useful. It was slimy of MB to exclude the feature quietly. IF they stated it would cost extra, I would be willing to forego a few bucks to get the REST mode.

Anyways, my "big picture" argument is that, next time, it might be a feature you personally do find useful. Its like a terrorist; you don't know when and where it will strike, until after it happens.

KB
I understand your frustrastion.... But I guess the 64 thousand dollar question is..... Would you not have bought the car if you have known it was unavailable????
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
I understand your frustrastion.... But I guess the 64 thousand dollar question is..... Would you not have bought the car if you have known it was unavailable????
I think you are missing the point, if it says it has it, then it should have it, not reputable to do otherwise. They still list it as coming with the car and have had plenty of time to remove the feature from their marketing, its kind of like the new center console, the MBUSA site still shows the car with the old one, they certainly could have updated it by now. I guess I expect more from a premium car seller. But you are right, it would not have killed my purchase without the feature.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:28 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Additional explanation desired

I'm too lazy to pull out the manual to learn about the "rest feature." In a short explanation what does it do? Is it like cold start where one can start their car by remote control without getting into the vehicle on cold mornings? I live in cold country and it sounds like there are benefits of this feature which my non decontented E would have if I were better informed how to maximize them.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Rest keeps the car's heating (or a/c) system on low to keep the car at a similar temp for 20-30 mins. useful for stop and go errands on really hot or cold days. I find the feature quite useful.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:41 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
I use the "rest" feature regualarly as well as the heated/Cooled center console and the center vent fresh air function. I find them most useful....

However- Agreeing with Harley's point- I would have bought the E anyway because of the build, reputation, class etc... Should the MB web site and materials more correctly state what is included or "de-Contented" ? Absolutely !

Now that I have these features- as we look for a replacement vehicle for my wife- I notice the LACK of some of these simple, seemingly overlooked, and often DECONTENTED features..... Puddle lights The puddle light is MOST helpful to me if parked next to a curb- without them I have to actually open the door to see the ground......Seems stupid-? Try being a little handiapped- I have very bad arthritis- a fall could be a serious set back....The center fresh air ? allows me to max heat the cabin for my legs and sore bones and have fresh cool air on my face. The center console- I carry film in there since it is temp moderated.

But again- I would still have bought a Benz.....

But I never buy twice from those I don't trust- and that is what the issue is here, not the actual lack of the feature, it's the lack of accurate information....They just need to pay a little attention to their ad material, and perhaps these boards.....
Old 02-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdiken
Hello,

I have an '05 CDI built 08/2004.

Does anyone know how much work it would be to re-fit the car with "REST?"

So, anybody know what parts (besides obviously the dash unit) would need to be removed and replaced?

Thanks
KB
The function you require can be retrofitted to most W203 models. I would assume that the first thing you need is a compatible climate control module with the required options embedded in it. Work backwards from there.

I would use the W203 pro-forma as a guide.

Certainly there is a listing for "stationary heater" which is the upmarket version of REST and somewhat more involved - but it can be installed.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:31 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by marksatex
I use the "rest" feature regualarly as well as the heated/Cooled center console and the center vent fresh air function. I find them most useful....

However- Agreeing with Harley's point- I would have bought the E anyway because of the build, reputation, class etc... Should the MB web site and materials more correctly state what is included or "de-Contented" ? Absolutely !

Now that I have these features- as we look for a replacement vehicle for my wife- I notice the LACK of some of these simple, seemingly overlooked, and often DECONTENTED features..... Puddle lights The puddle light is MOST helpful to me if parked next to a curb- without them I have to actually open the door to see the ground......Seems stupid-? Try being a little handiapped- I have very bad arthritis- a fall could be a serious set back....The center fresh air ? allows me to max heat the cabin for my legs and sore bones and have fresh cool air on my face. The center console- I carry film in there since it is temp moderated.

But again- I would still have bought a Benz.....

But I never buy twice from those I don't trust- and that is what the issue is here, not the actual lack of the feature, it's the lack of accurate information....They just need to pay a little attention to their ad material, and perhaps these boards.....
Yes, the three features you mentioned are some of my fav features of the car.. Especially the puddle lights and the rest.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Even worse....

Just looked at MBUSA.com, and price has been updated, SOMEBODY WAS ON THAT PAGE UPDATING IT....yet did not update a few lines down where it STILL lists "REST" as a standard feature:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...CDI&class=05_E

Creepy, disconnected, lost.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I was told that the "rest" feature is only lost from the W211s without the digital climate control. The sales person at my dealer said that the E500 (which has the upgraded climate control) still has the "rest" feature. Is this true?

I personally would pay to get the upgraded 4 zone climate with the digital display if it came with the "rest" feature. I use it all the time and I have gotten used to it.

Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 03:00 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I use the "rest" feature all the time. Quick trips with the puppy (he hates to be left alone )

Keeps him warm / cool while we run errands.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Mb Usa:

Just got off the phone with Robyn Letz (MB USA customer relations) in Montvale, she claims the feature is not available, even for extra cost, on US cars, throughout the lineup. She did not say whether or not REST was availble if upgrading to digital climate control.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E500, 2001 Porsche Boxster
I actually canceled an order for an 05 E500 when I managed to find an 04 w/ REST, Puddle, and the old arm rest.--Also got a great deal on it. I still give the dealership the service business, even though they aren't the closest, since it wasn't their fault. And yes, I use REST often both to cool and warm (had it on my old 540, though that didn't cool, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the E cool too).

That said, I remember doing some research on this and cost was too prohibitive to retrofit (looking at upwards of 1500). I vaguely remember new "plumbing" and "pipes" needed, as well as a different control module for the AC unit and having to take the dash apart and work on the underside of the car.

It's not complicated, as such, but it's one of those things that take a 1 to put in a factory but needs a 10 to undo, and reinstall, etc.

Good luck w/ it though, wish I could have been more help.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by aomE500
I actually canceled an order for an 05 E500 when I managed to find an 04 w/ REST, Puddle, and the old arm rest.

Well, Well, Well....... Here's someone who finally did the right thing and did something about their displeasure about the "decontenting". Good for you.

I'm not going to make light of the fact that this "faulse advertising" does need to be stopped and the MB brochures and MB web sites need to be updated. This is truley a problem and I can see how someone can get upset about not getting features as advertised... That being said, I can't understand what all the whinning on this forum is about.... I mean, You ordered the car, or picked it out from a dealers lot.... If It don't Have whats advertised THEN DON"T BUY IT... Its a very simple concept guys..... Crying on this forum is going to do nothing, but refusing to buy the car or simply not accepting the car when it comes in is.... Unfortunatly the only way anyone is going to make a difference and for the auto maker (MB) to hear you is with their bottom line (dollar).

A few of you older members may remember the problems I had when I ordered my 04 e500.... I originally wanted a later build 03 model and when I went in to order it I found out the 04s were getting 7 speed trannys and "Active headlights"..... I Thought to myself that the seven speed would be cool, but living on very dark twisty ural backroads, the curve sensing headlights would be just the ticket for me and my ol'lady..... So I decide to wait and ordered an 04 with these features, waited a L-O-N-G 3 months and low and behold the car comes in with NO ACTIVE HEADLIGHTS ( unknown factory delay)... The brochure said it would be there, The salesman said it would be there and so did the website.... Whats a man to do???? Well I didn't come here and cry about it, I DIDN'T ACCEPT THE CAR..... SIMPLE.
I Just ordered another one and waited again untill they got it right....

Yes, Decontenting sucks.... MB could and will lose customers from it. I'm hearing alot of moaning over it, but whats sad is the folks doing the crying are still buying the cars!!!! How the hell is MB ever going to get your message
If they still sell the decontented cars....
Old 02-07-2005, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Thank you H. on a H.!!!

The Dali Lama once said: If you CAN do something about a problem then DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT (because you CAN do something about it). If you CAN’T do anything about it, then WHY WORRY? (It is out of your control anyway!). Bitc$ing is about as productive as braking while driving uphill!

All the bitc$ing sounds like the lounge at my work (which I avoid at times due to the reason stated above). I love the REST feature and I want to do something about it.

WHAT, WHO or WHERE can one e-mail or call to truly complain? I was called by MB USA last Thursday and I did mention this on the extra part of the survey. I also expressed my dislike for being Mercedes Benz's paying lab rat. I would like to know if someone has already done a search to know who the right nail to pound in is?

Please post the correct information if you know it. If not, I will do some research and get the right person to contact. Maybe then we can focus our efforts and communicate with someone who can do something about it. Don't preach to the choir!

Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SAguirre
The Dali Lama once said: If you CAN do something about a problem then DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT (because you CAN do something about it). If you CAN’T do anything about it, then WHY WORRY? (It is out of your control anyway!). Bitc$ing is about as productive as braking while driving uphill!

All the bitc$ing sounds like the lounge at my work (which I avoid at times due to the reason stated above). I love the REST feature and I want to do something about it.

WHAT, WHO or WHERE can one e-mail or call to truly complain? I was called by MB USA last Thursday and I did mention this on the extra part of the survey. I also expressed my dislike for being Mercedes Benz's paying lab rat. I would like to know if someone has already done a search to know who the right nail to pound in is?

Please post the correct information if you know it. If not, I will do some research and get the right person to contact. Maybe then we can focus our efforts and communicate with someone who can do something about it. Don't preach to the choir!

Steve
Here's one thing the Dali Lama never said ...... .. " Pass me the 10mm wrench so I can tighten the anchor bolt " - its wonderful how many ways people can find to do nothing at all.

You can make an appoinment with a service representative at a dealership and flick through WIS and look at the W203 REST retrofit. You can reference STARTECK yourself ..... you can look carefully at a car that has it.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/subscribe.jsp
Old 02-07-2005, 09:43 PM

Both of you (H on a H and Steve) both make sense, I just emailed the dealer to see if I can cancel my order and also sent my complaints about decontenting and items that are listed on the web site that are not included, also gave them my .02 on reliability issues and the lack of free maintenance when the other german luxury car competitors offer it. After reading this site for two months, I have a little fear and concern about the Mercedes brand. The BMW and Audi forums are so much more positive about their brands, even with some problems. This forum has a somewhat negative energy about the brand, its direction and the treatment of individuals by Daimler-Chrysler.
I may still get the car, depends on the response I get and whether they will actually let me out of the car purchase, it has already gone into production.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sacguy
Both of you (H on a H and Steve) both make sense, I just emailed the dealer to see if I can cancel my order and also sent my complaints about decontenting and items that are listed on the web site that are not included, also gave them my .02 on reliability issues and the lack of free maintenance when the other german luxury car competitors offer it. After reading this site for two months, I have a little fear and concern about the Mercedes brand. The BMW and Audi forums are so much more positive about their brands, even with some problems. This forum has a somewhat negative energy about the brand, its direction and the treatment of individuals by Daimler-Chrysler.
I may still get the car, depends on the response I get and whether they will actually let me out of the car purchase, it has already gone into production.
If I had an Audi I would be talking it up too. The brand just needs all the help it can get.

Try getting something fitted to an AUDI after you buy it. They will treat you like this .... At least with a Benz it can be done at a price. Now if you could only pay the price and get it done .......

Someone recently bought a Taureg and wanted memory seats added ... it wasnt even plausible let alone possible.

You surely dont mean to say that a car isnt acceptable for the sake of a light on the door ? Thats not even worth taking seriously.

Last edited by miroj; 02-07-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
. The BMW and Audi forums are so much more positive about their brands, even with some problems. This forum has a somewhat negative energy about the brand, its direction and the treatment of individuals by Daimler-Chrysler.
Sacguy.... Consider this before pulling the trigger on a BMW or Audi.
This forum probably represnts 1% of all the current MB owners in the world. The reason you don't hear alot of good things about MB's on this site is because people (in general) are more likely going to get on the web to complain about a car rather than to spread good things.... Its human nature. Anger and discontent will motivate people to do something rather than being happy. I Hope the few negitave things read there (notice there always from the same members?) will not discurage you in the ownership of what I feel is one of the safest and well built cars in the world. If you cancell your order because its not coming with features advertised, then I can't blame you a bit. Personally, the decontented items are not a deal breaker "for me" but understand fully.... Hopefully your dealer will give you good news or compensate you for the items not delivered as promised in the website or brochure....
B.T.W..... I have stated here before and will again, I love my car and its been a great ride for me and my ol'lady.... I have little or no complaints and get nothing but complinments on what a fine ride it is from everyone who rides in it..... Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:20 PM

none

I guess you missed all the problems the 7 series and M3 have had?
BMW extended the warranties because of all the problems, such as motors blowing up etc...
MB's problems are far less than BMWs... I can live with a few quirks if the car is as good looking as the E is. I couldnt stand to look at the new 5 series and use the stupid Idrive thing.
Forums are always going to have posts with complaints, its place people can voice there problems and opinions.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by miroj
If I had an Audi I would be talking it up too. The brand just needs all the help it can get.

Try getting something fitted to an AUDI after you buy it. They will treat you like this .... At least with a Benz it can be done at a price. Now if you could only pay the price and get it done .......

Someone recently bought a Taureg and wanted memory seats added ... it wasnt even plausible let alone possible.

You surely dont mean to say that a car isnt acceptable for the sake of a light on the door ? Thats not even worth taking seriously.
No, it is not just the door light.....but it is a combination of reasons: misleading web site features, local dealer ignorance on what the car has on it now vs. 2004, no MBZ maintenance, reliability issues from this site and others, negative comments about the car and the reputation of MBZ on this forum, all these things together have caused me to at least question the purchase of the car. I just want the dealer to answer my questions and concerns. I believe you need to walk your talk as hell on a harley and Steve pointed out so well, otherwise the company will never know what its customers care about and are concerned with. I may still continue with the purchase, I like the drive and look of the car very much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Retro-fitting "REST" feature on non-"REST" 2005 car