E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
2006 Lexus GS

Always good to have competition.... GS430 performance is right on par with the E500. Interior looks very nice......still don't know if I like the exterior IMO. What are your thoughts of the 2006 GS300, GS300 AWD and GS430.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Edmund's reviewers put it on first place among Japanese cars of course. Obviously it doesn't outperform E500 and far behind of M45. Breaking distance is also average. Nothing exciting from my point view. However it's some step forward from previous generation of GS.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Bland, bloring, dull, ugly, plain. Looks like a Toyota Avalon frm 2006 from the back, and thats not a good thing. Lexus has no motivation to create something radically different. I drove one today and it handles like a POS too. The gearing is too tall, and it just feels wrong. The interior is probably the only thing going for this car. Thats my take on it.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
L.H..... You know, this thread is meaningless without pics....
Old 03-01-2005, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Go to the OT forum, they have pics there. It looks like ****.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:22 PM

'06 SL65
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
L.H..... You know, this thread is meaningless without pics....
I know I know...I was too lazy to do so tonight...

I think I know what your opinion is on Lexus in general. :p

I'm not going to get rid of my W211.....
Old 03-01-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Now thats the Lionhead I've come to know.... Nice job on the pics.

I've seen a lot worse on the road.... I agree the interior is its best selling point, but have to wonder why they want the nav screen to stand out so much with it framed in silver. This is one of the things I like about the interior of our cars... MB found a way for the screen to blend right in and NOT making it stand out like your wanting to show it off or being the first thing you see or notice when looking at the interior..

B.T.W.... What do they want for that thing anyway???
Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Black/Black E : Pewter/Black G Wagen
Looks like a Maxima
Old 03-01-2005, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
GS300 - 40K - mid 50K range possibly
GS430 - high 50K to mid 60K range.

www.lexus.com has more crap about pricing, and they brag about they imitation of Keyless GO and on and on and on. Pretty crappy site and car might I add.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:49 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
That is one derivative, uninspired design ... obviously the product of waaaay too many lowest-common-denominator focus groups. It combines a lot of the boring profile of the current BMW 5-series (slab sides, high beltline, dogleg rear window) with a particularly awkward rendition of a 60s-style "fastback" roofline. I'm thinking maybe ... 1968 Plymouth Barracuda?
http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Plymo...ages/68-05.jpg

The new Infinit M35/45 has a very similar profile, actually, but it somehow works. The 2006 Lexus GS just doesn't make it in the style department.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Look how far back the C-pillar goes. It could be Japan's first 4-door coupe!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by xraymd
Look how far back the C-pillar goes. It could be Japan's first 4-door coupe!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
This car was built before the new L-Finesse styling protocol was institutued at Lexus, making the design less than exciting. Overall it will be good competition, which helps keep everyone honest. Interior is nice. Excellent stereo specs and the nav interface looks real nice. Performance should be a step up from the previous car. Hopefully a hybrid will also be available. I really have to see one in person before I make any judgement. The first car by them to have the new styling trend fully implemented will be the next IS.

On a side note I did sit in a M45 last week, and I was very impressed. The sytling was not overly exciting, but it works well. Impressive feature list, including DVD video in dash on a nice high mounted screen.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Interior looks still too cheap for my taste. I think only next generation of S-type will have it better than E interior.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 AM

none
nice Toyota
Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Lightbulb

Err, I like my MBs, but I miss the Lexus reliability and service. I am looking forward to seeing it in person. Competition is always good!

Formerly,
2002 LS430
2004 RX330
Old 03-02-2005, 04:34 PM

2004 E500
Performance and interior look great. I also really like the look of the front. But the rear still looks like a Nissan.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500
I saw a black one driving with Michigan mfg plates (in California) yesterday, and I thought it looked much better in person than in the photos. The rear of the car doesnt look great to me in the pics, but it did look great when it drove by. It also had larger wheels,(maybe 19s) which helped.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Don't currently own a vehicle.
Blah blah blah

You all hate any car that isn't a Mercedes because that is what you own. Sorry to say, the GS looks a lot better than the E-Class. 7 or 8 months ago I was in the market for a new car and was looking at the E500 and the 545i, then I saw pictures of the Lexus GS and the Infiniti M45. So I figured that I would wait a little bit and see how these things are in person. At the time I had pretty much decided on the E500, I had one in Fort Lauderdale while I was on vacation and I loved it, it was great, quick, comfy, just the right amount of sportiness. Well I just saw the GS and M45 in person and test drove them. IMO the GS is much more beautiful than the E500, 545i, and M45, inside and out. But the drive was not that great. One the other hand, the E500 looks better than the M45, but the M45 drives WAY better than the E500, well if you like a sporty car anyway. The E ain't ALL THAT people, you make is seem like it's the greatest car on the face of the earth. But you are all biased about your German Mercedes, but whatever. Everyone needs to open their eyes and see that Mercedes isn't the best car brand that it used to be. And the E-Class is going to be left in the dust once comparo's come out.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:08 PM

none
Lexus = Toyota
Infiniti= Nissan

Mercedes=Mercedes

So if you dislike the Eclass why are you on this board?

Yes the new M45 and GS are great cars, but in NO way shape or form do they have the prestige of a benz. And as far as looks go both have nothing on the E class.

If you think the M45 and GS are great then buy one!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Car Freak
And the E-Class is going to be left in the dust once comparo's come out.
The "New" E has been out now for nearly 3 years and THIS is the competions answer (now)??? Maybe in a few more years the rest will catch up, but by then the "newer" E will be here.

B.T.W..... HELLO..... Your on a Mercedes forum, Don't act so suprised by the replies....

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 03-02-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Dude! You "currently don't own a car", and we do. We are daily drivers. A person would have to drive (not ride in) a particular model car more than just occaisionally to make any kind of educated comparison. Yes, we all own an E, and if you look, you will see that most of us concurrently own other cars too. Bad or unnecessary brands of cars will go away by themselves due to the marketplace not choosing them. (You can't stay in business if you don't sell cars) No offense meant, but your post sounds somewhat like a teenager in High School without a car belittling his friend's car for being "not as great as the one you would drive" if you had one. Anyone who NEEDS a car couldn't be without one evaluating & pondering for seven months waiting for the next year's model.

Also remember that the design for this E (W211) was started a couple of years before the '03 W 211s were unveiled for the 1st time. The Lexus cars you are looking at today were on the drawing boards when this car was already on the street. Just by following a natural timeline, the "Comparos" looked at the E, took what they liked about it & started designing their own new product from there. The next E will be better then the "comparos" just released cars for the same reason.

Remember, we bought one because WE looked at/evaluated the competitors product that was available at the time, and decided that this was the best car FOR US, from what was available at the time so it was "ALL THAT"...

You can look, buy & drive, or constantly sit on the sidelines & wait for the next new model to go walk to and look at. ...Just a thought.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-03-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:45 AM

Lexus GS 450h
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
Lexus = Toyota
Infiniti= Nissan

Mercedes=Mercedes

So if you dislike the Eclass why are you on this board?

Yes the new M45 and GS are great cars, but in NO way shape or form do they have the prestige of a benz. And as far as looks go both have nothing on the E class.

If you think the M45 and GS are great then buy one!
Well bub, the Mercedes=Mercedes doesnt' mean anything except to fanboys stuck in the past. Sales are down what 13%. QUality is at an all time low. But oh, HP is up. How old is that game? Mercedes=DaihmlerChrysler and they are so secretive and swear nothing is shared but its a BUSINESS and they have to share parts with one another.

No one has to like its styling. That is subjective. But for so many to dismiss it and you haven't even seen it in person, driven it, ridden in it, touched it is ridiculous. THe GS has been a very solid competitor with the E since 1998 and this new car is even better competition.

Most everyone agreed (many Lexus fans didn't like it in pics either) after seeing and driving it, it really is something special.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
It's interesting. I should certainly test the new GS. Most of friends of mine migrated from Japanese makes to European and do not want go back.
IS->3 series
LS->S
G35-A4
Probably new GS makes them rethink. Personally I didn't like old GS, so I replaced it by E.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Car Freak
You all hate any car that isn't a Mercedes because that is what you own. Sorry to say, the GS looks a lot better than the E-Class. 7 or 8 months ago I was in the market for a new car and was looking at the E500 and the 545i, then I saw pictures of the Lexus GS and the Infiniti M45. So I figured that I would wait a little bit and see how these things are in person. At the time I had pretty much decided on the E500, I had one in Fort Lauderdale while I was on vacation and I loved it, it was great, quick, comfy, just the right amount of sportiness. Well I just saw the GS and M45 in person and test drove them. IMO the GS is much more beautiful than the E500, 545i, and M45, inside and out. But the drive was not that great. One the other hand, the E500 looks better than the M45, but the M45 drives WAY better than the E500, well if you like a sporty car anyway. The E ain't ALL THAT people, you make is seem like it's the greatest car on the face of the earth. But you are all biased about your German Mercedes, but whatever. Everyone needs to open their eyes and see that Mercedes isn't the best car brand that it used to be. And the E-Class is going to be left in the dust once comparo's come out.
Look you ****ing retard. Im not bagging on the GS entirely, im just saying that the design and feel of the car arent the greatest. It seems as though they just took the Toyota Avalon and made it better, which is what Lexus is known for doing. It has no revolutionary features, nor does it have the safety features that come standard on the E class. And about this whole Keyless GO **** that Lexus brags about, please, Mercedes has had it for years and quite frankly Lexus again is just copying them in this department of technology and design. Wow DVD-A, Acura has had this since the launch of the 2004 TL in November or October 2003, again Lexus is just copying. Bluetooth, Acura also had this in the launch of the TL. Don't even get me started on how this pig handles, I test drove one the other day, and needless to say it makes my W210 look good.

Sure the ride quality is good, but the car feels very damn disconnected from the driver and road. The interior is top notch, as are the leather seats, but they dont have any revolutionary techonology inside, like Drive Dynamic or anything of that nature. My E55 bolsters my *** down in the seat when I go through turns and what not. Plus that 4.3 litre engine in the Lexus is weak, slow, and just doesnt have the exhilaration factor of an E500 or a 545i. I am sure the next generation of V8 from Mercedes will trump the 4.8 litre from BMW and this POS 4.3 litre from Lexus. In all honesty, a Toyota Camry SE feels more like a drivers car than a Lexus GS430 fully loaded.

So before you go and make unproven claims, think about it twice and just STFU and stop posting here you god damne Lexus fan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Lexus GS