E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Saw a W212 on the street yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 S550 4MATIC, 2007 R-350
Saw a W212 on the street yesterday

Pictures just don't do justice to this car. I've seen some pictures of the 2010 E class and they seem okay. The back of the car seems ugly and average.

Then yesterday I saw one on the road and I was impressed. This car looks very masculine and has a very strong presence, a very sophisticated presence.
It reminded me of an S class. The back looked very solid, it made me feel like as if I was looking at carved granite. I never quite liked it until I saw it in the wild.
I very much like the looks of this car now.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
my wife called me today to say pretty much the same thing. She thought it was an S at first. she was very impressed by it.

however, while it looks MUCH better live, it still looks like a hyundai from the rear
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Ya, the rear bothers me. The front with the LED daytime lights looks nice. The side I'm iffy about. However, I don't really like the coupe from any angle. I prefer the sedan way more (also in regards to interior).
Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 AM

1998 Lexus ES300
I haven't seen an E Class sedan on the road yet, but I did see on on a flatbed truck transporting to a dealer a few days ago. The car just looks spectacular!!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:02 AM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Ya, the rear bothers me. The front with the LED daytime lights looks nice. The side I'm iffy about. However, I don't really like the coupe from any angle. I prefer the sedan way more (also in regards to interior).
Hey All -
Interesting thread. I was recently on vacation and drove the new E550 and 350. Agree the back is too Hyundai-ish. Bugs me. But once behind the wheel...what a Benz! Have to admit the column shifter annoyed me, too.

On the Lexus front. I worked for a Japanese company for 20-years that was one of Toyota's biggest suppliers. Let me tell you, well more than 50% of the components are common between the Camry and ES350/LS...whatever their models are.

And Toyota isn't all it's cracked up to be either when it comes to quality. They have been running scared for a few years with the pursuit of Honda and Hyundai. Last year was the first year in the last decade they lost money and are becoming more aggressive with cost-downs from their suppliers - which results in lower quality.

Honestly I believe that GM makes better, more durable cars than they do (like the Malibu and upcoming LaCrosse). I had an Impala (company car) that I put over 200k miles on and only had to replace the tires twice, alternator and brakes. Other than that it was a champ.

Just my two cents...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn the column shifter!!! Damn it to HE*L!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by NickR41
Hey All -
Interesting thread. I was recently on vacation and drove the new E550 and 350. Agree the back is too Hyundai-ish. Bugs me. But once behind the wheel...what a Benz! Have to admit the column shifter annoyed me, too.

On the Lexus front. I worked for a Japanese company for 20-years that was one of Toyota's biggest suppliers. Let me tell you, well more than 50% of the components are common between the Camry and ES350/LS...whatever their models are.

And Toyota isn't all it's cracked up to be either when it comes to quality. They have been running scared for a few years with the pursuit of Honda and Hyundai. Last year was the first year in the last decade they lost money and are becoming more aggressive with cost-downs from their suppliers - which results in lower quality.

Honestly I believe that GM makes better, more durable cars than they do (like the Malibu and upcoming LaCrosse). I had an Impala (company car) that I put over 200k miles on and only had to replace the tires twice, alternator and brakes. Other than that it was a champ.

Just my two cents...
Lexus/Toyota is definitely no longer the king of quality it was once. Maybe just the prince now?

From this year's JD Powers reliability survey:
  • [*]
Old 09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NickR41
Hey All -

Just my two cents...
Yes, I have heard of quality issues lately with toyota (it's like that scarface song: reached the top but still you gotta know how to keep it). It's not easy being number 1. I don't see many Buicks around here, but my father says in China, there are tons of them everywhere.

GM has been uping the game lately and good for them. Ford has done extremely well compared to the other American makers as well (the biggest sellers with the cash for clunkers were toyota, honda, and ford). And everyone was criticizing Alan Mulally during the peak economic times (from 05 - 07) about all the cutbacks and selling off divisions such as aston/jaguar/rover. And now, they're way ahead of GM and Chrysler.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah Ford knows what they're doing and makes a good and Reliable product, all opinions aside I think they have the numbers to (at least comparatively speaking) back it up. I've heard of some big problems with the trannies of the newer Camry's, and cost-cuts in interior materials too. I Rented a new Corolla a while back and I gotta say, it was a damn good and comfortable drive, I was impressed, just did exactly what it was supposed to do, and very well.

I bought my Malibu with the confidence that being a new GM, it will take abuse and be able to go "forever". So far so good. It has some great things going for it, and is a HUGE improvement over almost anything they've put out in the past, but still have some ways to go in overall interior refinement, some of the materials (and material smells) have that classic cheap "American car" vibe.... Again, for the price, the car CAN'T be beat, at all.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Saw an E550 Coupe parked at a house on my daily bike ride. It had the saddle/black interior which has always been a fav of mine. I liked the interior and front end, but from the B pillar back it looks to Japanese. The first time I saw it was from the back and I thought it was a Sonata.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah I think the proportions are just way too goofy, and it does suffer from a Japanese look. Some angles can look good, but overall I've solidified my opinion that the Sedan is just a better looking "E" overall.... While along with that being the only true "E" out of the two, as the Coupe is more-so a "C".
Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

My Girlfriend had the best reaction to the Coupe as it was making a left turn opposite of us while we were at a light:

Front going by: "Kind of funny looking" (gets closer), "actually that looks pretty 'fancy'".....
Side profile: "Mm, not so sure how I feel about the side"....
Rear: "What the? That totally kills it, looks 'cheap'".