Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Newly Ordered E350 - Question/Concern about iPod/iPhone Integration

Hello everyone - new to the site here.
I found this site to be very useful as I was contemplating ordering
my new (first time MB driver) 2010 E350. I ordered:

4Matic
Luxury Package
Panoramic Roof (yes - it will be produced as it was allocated for this car)
Special order paint - Cuprite Brown Metallic
Almond Beige Interior
P02 Package
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel

During the sales cycle - I asked about iPod/iPhone integration and was
shown the outlet in the glove box. However - in reviewing the MB website
last night - I found a new option called the "iPod Video Integration Kit". It makes it sound like to get the iPod interface on the indash screen you must have this kit.

My salesperson responded that my car comes with all that "in there". However he said this is a dealer installed accessory and that if there are
any issues - they can put it in.

Does anyone have familiarity with this? With the plug for the iPhone/iPod
being in the glove box - wouldn't be too convenient to try to play music from the other side of the car

Thanks for anyone that has knowledge on this subject.

PS - My car was scheduled for production today - and should be here
in the state about this time next month. Right in time for my 50th birthday.
I hope it makes it on time.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Why not keep your iPhone in your pocket or purse? The car has bluetooth, so your calls will come right through, and you just click answer or call people just as easy.

As for iPod, I'd recommend you have some kind of iPod you just keep in the glove box. Like you say, to plug in your iPhone every time is not very convenient.

Your car will have in the glovebox the connection that will allow you to access all the music from it on center display.

The other option you mentioned would allow you to watch videos from the iPod on the center display. I do not know if you can get that from the factory or not, perhaps you could have asked MBUSA. Just be careful if you need dealer to add that later how much they'll charge.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by mikeball2001
During the sales cycle - I asked about iPod/iPhone integration and was
shown the outlet in the glove box. However - in reviewing the MB website
last night - I found a new option called the "iPod Video Integration Kit". It makes it sound like to get the iPod interface on the indash screen you must have this kit.

My salesperson responded that my car comes with all that "in there". However he said this is a dealer installed accessory and that if there are
any issues - they can put it in.

Does anyone have familiarity with this? With the plug for the iPhone/iPod
being in the glove box - wouldn't be too convenient to try to play music from the other side of the car
The iPod Video Integration Kit is for watching videos stored on your iPod on the COMMAND screen. Even without this kit you will still be able to control your iPod and see which song is playing on the COMMAND screen and also see it on the dashboard display. This kit is only for displaying video from your iPod inside the car.

For your second questions; when you get in the car you open the glove box and connect your iPod to the connector (aka. "pigtail") and close the glove box. You will control the iPod via the COMMAND system in the center console and display the song you are playing in the COMMAND screen and in the display inside the dash. It's not terribly inconvenient but it would have been better if you didn't have to reach over to the glovebox to listen to your iPod. BMW has a more elegant solution by having the iPod connection in their center arm rest.

Congrats on the car. Don't forget to post some pictures...
Old 10-10-2009, 06:43 PM

CL600 (sold) E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
It's not terribly inconvenient but it would have been better if you didn't have to reach over to the glovebox to listen to your iPod.

I assume that you can simply leave an iPod connected in the glove compartment, right? As a gadget junkie, I think I have every iPod generation made, LOL. I was planning on loading one up and just permanently keeping it locked in the glove compartment.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 PM

2010 S550, '10 Road glide, '10 Sportster "48"
Originally Posted by Dartman
I assume that you can simply leave an iPod connected in the glove compartment, right? As a gadget junkie, I think I have every iPod generation made, LOL. I was planning on loading one up and just permanently keeping it locked in the glove compartment.

Mine has been in the glovebox for a week now
Old 10-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by Dartman
Oh yes, no problem at all. I have a friend who brought an iPod shuffle just so he can keep it permanently in his car. He takes it out once a month to refresh the songs on it but other then that the shuffle lives in his car 24/7. An added bonus to attaching your iPod to the car is that while the engine is on the iPod is being recharged.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 PM

E350
Update from Dealer

Ok -
Got the answer I was looking for from a friend who works at MB in California.

The standard integration (out of the box) allows the iPod functionality to be viewed upon the comand console screen natively upon connection of the device to the media connection in the glovebox.

The dealer accessory is to allow the Videos on your iPOD to be played on the Comand screen. (Which I don't care for that and don't need it)

Allegedly a little new fact came to light today, if you have an iPhone 3GS - it WILL NOT charge when connected to the media connector - you will need to go to either Apple or to your dealer and they sell an adaptor that plugs onto the media connector and then to the iPhone 3GS. This enables it to charge properly. He told me a name for it - but darn if I can remember right now.

Said my new car is sitting at the yard waiting to be assigned to a boat. Should have it in about 30 days. YEAH. Pictures will come immediately afterwards.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 PM

CL600 (sold) E550 Sedan

Said my new car is sitting at the yard waiting to be assigned to a boat. Should have it in about 30 days. YEAH. Pictures will come immediately afterwards.

Tx for the info and grats on your car status! My build date was supposed to be 10/20, but it just got pushed to 10/27. Fingers remain crossed for delivery before Thanksgiving...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 PM

E350
My car is on its way!

Just got notice today from the dealer that the car has now been assigned to a boat and is scheduled to hit port on Oct 25. Dealer says about 2 weeks from there to their lot - so we are on track towards a Nov 7 delivery barring any shipping/weather issues. That gives me 1 week of padding to hit a birthday delivery!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 PM

nothing right now
Question

Just got notice today from the dealer that the car has now been assigned to a boat and is scheduled to hit port on Oct 25. Dealer says about 2 weeks from there to their lot - so we are on track towards a Nov 7 delivery barring any shipping/weather issues. That gives me 1 week of padding to hit a birthday delivery!
When did you order the car? Just curious on the time frame?

Shane D
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM

E350
Place ordered

I ordered mine in Milwaukee. I found a dealership that had a 4matic with panoramic in production schedules with time to alter/customize. I locked in mid to late September on the car.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 PM

E350
Update on Delivery

Got an email from my dealer yesterday. Car has arrived stateside at port -and should arrive here at dealership within 7-10 days. Can't wait!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Mercedes 2010 E350
Hey in regards to using voice command with the media interface what do you need to say to get voice command to play a certain track or artist instead of having to uses the dial all the time to do it.

Any examples of what to say would be great.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 PM

E350
As soon as I get my vehicle - just anyday next week - I'll be happy to give you back an answer on how to operate the iPod/media integration with voice control.

Take care
Old 11-01-2009, 01:22 PM

2010 E550 Sedan; Sold 2000 S500
iPod Video Integration Kit

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
The iPod Video Integration Kit is for watching videos stored on your iPod on the COMMAND screen. Even without this kit you will still be able to control your iPod and see which song is playing on the COMMAND screen and also see it on the dashboard display. This kit is only for displaying video from your iPod inside the car.
Has anyone ordered this kit? I mentioned this accessory to my salesperson yesterday when I ordered my E550 (delivery tomorrow). He went through all of his ordering screens and an iPod Video Integration Kit wasn't listed on any of the lists showing valid accessories for the W212. His explanation was that the website shows items prior to them being available to the dealership. If someone has gotten this item, do you know the MB item #?

Thanks!