E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 Command System Unlocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
W212 Command System Unlocks

Maybe sticky this for when we find more information on unlocking and modifying the functionality of the command system. Personally would LOVE to be able to enter text while driving(addresses, phone book entries etc.)

Anyone know any workarounds?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
So are you saying that with the new W212 that you can't input addresses while the car is in motion? That kinda sucks.

I have the latest upgraded HDD COMAND version in my 2009 which allows input while driving (the only thing you can't do is play a video DVD while in motion.) But I usually prefer to use VC instead of manual input. I like hands-free systems.

How's the VC in the W212? I guess MB now wants owners to use VC instead of inputting manually(?) It might be the only "work-around" unless manual input is Euro COMAND available (like video in motion is.)

Try contacting Steve at MBenzNL.nl (a sponsor here.) He's the person who would know. I think he'll be in the USA (SoCal) for some installs at the end of this month.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Why would anyone want to enter text while driving? I think it is irresponsible. Hopefully you will not be able to modify the system therefore protecting other drivers.

Last edited by petee1997; 10-18-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
Yea, voice control works while driving and I have to admit its pretty incredible. Best VC I've ever had or used so it's not THAT huge of a deal. I just miss being able to enter addresses like I could with my BMW iDrive system. You can navigate the COMMAND system, change settings etc etc but no entering addresses or editing phone book entries while moving(the latter I don't care about)
Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by petee1997
Why would anyone want to enter text while driving? I think it is irresponsible. Hopefully you will not be able to modify the system therefore protecting other drivers.
Hmmmm. So, you've never had a passenger in your car?

When it's dark and stormy out and/or in a neighborhood and/or a freeway where it might not be safe to pull over? And you desperately need directions?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by 220S
Hmmmm. So, you've never had a passenger in your car?

When it's dark and stormy out and/or in a neighborhood and/or a freeway where it might not be safe to pull over? And you desperately need directions?

In the original post he says "when I'm driving". Also I thought that VC was for those " dangerous situations". As far as the passenger using it,
Warren Buffet once said invest in companies that are foolproof because one day a fool may run it. The same applies to certain technologies unless they are foolproof.......
Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In the original post he says "when I'm driving". Also I thought that VC was for those " dangerous situations". As far as the passenger using it,
Warren Buffet once said invest in companies that are foolproof because one day a fool may run it. The same applies to certain technologies unless they are foolproof.......
Yeah, like MB's VC. Not exactly foolproof. Pushing a button works when VC fails and is a lot faster.

Interesting that the Euro COMAND allows input while driving and video playback while driving. Again, passenger can be the navigator and even watch a film on long trips. So, North Americans can't be trusted and are the fools behind the wheel......
Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 PM

E550 (W212) 2010
... So, North Americans can't be trusted and are the fools behind the wheel......
That's exactly why. I live in DC (myself I am from Europe) and I can tell you that most people here don't even realize that their cars can turn more than 15 degrees. They all pile up into 1 lane and wait for a freaking light to change...I have seen lines stretching as far as 20 cars!!! Southerners and suburbanites....are....the....worst...period! They have no idea how the city functions. So giving them video playback would stall traffic completely....and it will absolutely lead to a lot of BET/MTV fueled accidents. "Sh*t man, Beyonce is hott....Dayam boy...looks at that ***...Daym....Whoopty...whoopty!!"......Crrrrrraaa aassshh~!

Last edited by DCist; 10-18-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Yeah, like MB's VC. Not exactly foolproof. Pushing a button works when VC fails and is a lot faster.

Interesting that the Euro COMAND allows input while driving and video playback while driving. Again, passenger can be the navigator and even watch a film on long trips. So, North Americans can't be trusted and are the fools behind the wheel......

If you don't see the logic, I will not try to convince you. I just hope when you are texting that I am not in the car in the opposite lane.

PS: Why can't we drink and drive,why should we wear seat belts, etc.,etc.
The reason is COMMON SENSE!!! For those that don't have it,they pass laws with penalties. The penalties are made for the tiny minority who don't get it. You sir,may not get it.

Last edited by petee1997; 10-20-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you don't see the logic, I will not try to convince you. I just hope when you are texting that I am not in the car in the opposite lane.

PS: Why can't we drink and drive,why should we wear seat belts, ect.ect.
The reason is COMMON SENSE!!! For those that don't have it,they pass laws with penalties. The penalties are made for the tiny minority who don't get it. You sir,may not get it.
I'm talking about the PASSENGER. Last week I was up north and my passenger did the navigation, it was perfect.

I don't text, I don't use a cell phone except on the rare occasion and then use VC. I use VC w/nav when alone. Etc., etc..

Sigh. Petee your senility is becoming apparent. Every post I make you reply with something that has nothing to do with what I have said. You read into everything with what YOU think is being said.
You fail Reading Comprehension 101. I give up.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 PM

2010 E350 4Matic w/sport package
This sucks, I recall when I drove a c300 loaner the new nav did not let me change the address while I was driving which is a pretty bad thing. I need that option because I am a real estate broker and always changing directions mid stream when a buyer changes their mind 1/2 way to one of the houses on our route.

So I can only change it via voice? the voice option is standard? I recall seeing the sales rep show me that but I did not realize that was the only way to change addresses while driving.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I'd be Pissed if I couldn't enter destinations while driving.

A W212 I drove seemed to allow me to activate the voice-control option of Navi, hopefully you indeed can enter addy's via voice.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM

2010 E350 4Matic w/sport package
Originally Posted by K-A
I'd be Pissed if I couldn't enter destinations while driving.

A W212 I drove seemed to allow me to activate the voice-control option of Navi, hopefully you indeed can enter addy's via voice.
Yeah I am 99% sure you can do that, when I was driving a W212 the rep was in the passenger seat speaking to the Nav and it did go to the address he spoke.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Exactly my point,VC is what we should be using for all functions while driving. If the passenger can input manually when the car is moving, then the driver can do the same. That is unsafe. Here in Ontario, in the next few months it will be illegal to use any distracting devices while driving. Only hands free voice devices will be allowed. There will be challenges about rights here on both sides of the issue.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
yes, you can use VC, and its very very accurate, fast, and easy.

that being said, it would be nice to have the option to enter manually.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Even hands-free is distracting. There are many studies that conclude using a hands-free device (either phone, texting, or VC nav) is equally distracting.

http://www.buffalo.edu/ubreporter/20...16/cell_phones

I guess in some people's world view, we should all be shackled. Despite our own personal abilities to act responsibly.

This is a Machiavellian dilemma which society finds itself in all the time. Do we eliminate certain freedoms because of the idiocy (or more specifically, lack of education and understanding of consequences) of others? Or is it simply part of the risk of living? Where is the line drawn?

Why does the Euro COMAND allow video while in motion and not in the North American market? Because NAs are dumb and Europeans are not? (it's a rhetorical question, Petee, so please don't bother answering )
Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 PM

BMW 550i
Even hands-free is distracting. There are many studies that conclude using a hands-free device (either phone, texting, or VC nav) is equally distracting.

http://www.buffalo.edu/ubreporter/20...16/cell_phones

I guess in some people's world view, we should all be shackled. Despite our own personal abilities to act responsibly.

This is a Machiavellian dilemma which society finds itself in all the time. Do we eliminate certain freedoms because of the idiocy (or more specifically, lack of education and understanding of consequences) of others? Or is it simply part of the risk of living? Where is the line drawn?

Why does the Euro COMAND allow video while in motion and not in the North American market? Because NAs are dumb and Europeans are not? (it's a rhetorical question, Petee, so please don't bother answering )
It probably has as much or more to do with potential liability for MB and how litiguous we are over here relative to the rest of the world. Couldn't you see someone getting into an accident while driving and typing an address into the NAV system and then sueing MB for giving them the ability to do it? Sounds like a possible class action suit!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by stanatl
It probably has as much or more to do with potential liability for MB and how litiguous we are over here relative to the rest of the world. Couldn't you see someone getting into an accident while driving and typing an address into the NAV system and then sueing MB for giving them the ability to do it? Sounds like a possible class action suit!

This is also the reason we know longer have the tunnel function in our new cars. Also I have heard in Europian countries they also have a feature that closes windows if you park with the windows or roof open and it begins to rain, due to the rain sensors.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
navi can be unlocked with our vim modules... there is a programming option built into our vim that permanently unlocks the navi data entry to work at any speed. Its available for W204 an W212...

here is a demo of the W204 (c class):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6s40YpjhZo