Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W222 s350
My 350CDi coupe

Hi all

Picked up the e350cdi sport coupe 2 months ago -
Iridium silver with Black and some toys - comand, HK sound, DAB, agility control, black ash wood

Now just as a point of reference we have a BMW® 335d M sport coupe in the house so i really have no allegiances to either brand

1 > Looks great in the metal - very angular - more distinctive next to the BMW® but design ?may age quicker too
2 > Interior is nice - no better and no worse then the BMW® - seats are great with multiple air pockets to adjust - rattle free so far!!.
3 > Performance of course is noticeably slower than the 335d but its not bad at all for everyday driving
4 > Steering much much lighter than in the BMW® - a feature of most mercedes models - also veers slightly to left when remove hand from wheel - again a family trait i`ve been told.
5 >Comand and HK system are excellent
6 > The black ash wood is soooooo much nicer than the standard aluminium trim - makes the bits of chrome and aluminium around gear lever etc really stand out
7> Artico leather is fine - can`t tell the difference between this and the real stuff -certainly not work 1K+ to change.
8> As the fuel tank is either large or just under rear seats - can occasionally hear fuel sloshing about when half full at low speeds over speed bumps.

So far i am very happy with it - it is no performance demon (unlike the bmw 335d sport coupe or my previous M3) but then again its not supposed to be. Its a comfortable cruiser and with the option of slightly more spirited driving with the 'sport' button.

2 issues and i wonder whether they are common (probably to do with the great Scottish weather ) : -

1 > Some condensation in headlights- nil puddle just some steam on lens cover when it is raining outside - i know the units are not sealed and my bmw 7 series and 3 series coupe both do have the same issue from time to time

2> On a rainy day if i drive and then park car there is a lot of condensation on inside of windows after about 1hr - i have checked inside - nil dampness carpets etc. No condensation if left overnight -clear in morning. I usually have a/c on all the time - will try with it off. Perhaps to do with the frameless windows??

Car otherwise great - really enjoying it!!
Attached Thumbnails My 350CDi coupe-ecoupe1.jpg   My 350CDi coupe-ecoupe2.jpg  

Last edited by drotoscope; 11-03-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 AM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
Nice! Congrats! Silver and AMG-package can't go wrong!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM

W222 s350
Thanks - yes typical merc colours but look v. nice on the coupe.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Congrats on the car. I'd check #4 out though. It's not normal for the car to veer either left or right.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:54 AM

W222 s350
In the UK we have quite cambered roads -the dealer has checked it out and tracking/wheel balance all spot on - drove another few mercs - all seem to do the same in the UK.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
What do you think about the engine and transmission? I'm used to a 08 BMW E61 530d, and now I have a E350 CDI on order, never driven it though. I've only tried the E250 CDI with the 5-speed auto.

Last edited by ipp; 11-06-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM

W222 s350
Hi ipp

I think i have the same engine in my 730d sport that you can just about see in the picture!!

The 7 speed and 350cdi really work well together - silky smooth (with only the very occasional hunting for the correct gear) changes and smooth linear power delivery with +++torque. World of difference between the 250 and 350 cdi and the 5 and 7 speed transmission. 4 pot diesels just would not suit the coupe at all.

Probably on balance more refined than the BMW setup but perhaps very slightly less responsive which can be adjusted with the sport button - i wish however that the damper setting could remain on comfort with the inc throttle response and gear hold of sport.
Its either all or nothing

Looking at your spec it will be a fantastic car. Harmon Kardon is essential and the multi contour seats are great.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:27 PM

E class Coupe 350CDI
Hi, I got the silver e350dci back in june at launch. I love the look, and they are still quite rare. The Black pan sun roof looks great BUT I have some engine noise that is driving me crazy.

When cold, at tickover, the engine is very noticable, with a kind of hunting noise. The dealer says they are all like this, and I was spoiled by my last car the CLS 320. When warm, it is OK, HOwever, between 1800 and 2300 revs, I get a nasty chatter. If it were a petrol engine, I would describe it as severe pinking noise.

It is most easily reproduced if you put in 4th gear in manual, and drive straight at around 40 mph, gently, but firmly accelerating thru 2000 rpm.

The dealer has changed some injectors, which it claimed "made it much better". It didnt. The car passes diagnostics, and I am now waiting for results to come back from Merc Techies.

Do you have any such noises? I would really appreciate your feedback

Thanks

steve

Originally Posted by drotoscope
Hi all

Picked up the e350cdi sport coupe 2 months ago -
Iridium silver with Black and some toys - comand, HK sound, DAB, agility control, black ash wood

Now just as a point of reference we have a BMW® 335d M sport coupe in the house so i really have no allegiances to either brand

1 > Looks great in the metal - very angular - more distinctive next to the BMW® but design ?may age quicker too
2 > Interior is nice - no better and no worse then the BMW® - seats are great with multiple air pockets to adjust - rattle free so far!!.
3 > Performance of course is noticeably slower than the 335d but its not bad at all for everyday driving
4 > Steering much much lighter than in the BMW® - a feature of most mercedes models - also veers slightly to left when remove hand from wheel - again a family trait i`ve been told.
5 >Comand and HK system are excellent
6 > The black ash wood is soooooo much nicer than the standard aluminium trim - makes the bits of chrome and aluminium around gear lever etc really stand out
7> Artico leather is fine - can`t tell the difference between this and the real stuff -certainly not work 1K+ to change.
8> As the fuel tank is either large or just under rear seats - can occasionally hear fuel sloshing about when half full at low speeds over speed bumps.

So far i am very happy with it - it is no performance demon (unlike the bmw 335d sport coupe or my previous M3) but then again its not supposed to be. Its a comfortable cruiser and with the option of slightly more spirited driving with the 'sport' button.

2 issues and i wonder whether they are common (probably to do with the great Scottish weather ) : -

1 > Some condensation in headlights- nil puddle just some steam on lens cover when it is raining outside - i know the units are not sealed and my bmw 7 series and 3 series coupe both do have the same issue from time to time

2> On a rainy day if i drive and then park car there is a lot of condensation on inside of windows after about 1hr - i have checked inside - nil dampness carpets etc. No condensation if left overnight -clear in morning. I usually have a/c on all the time - will try with it off. Perhaps to do with the frameless windows??

Car otherwise great - really enjoying it!!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM

W222 s350
Hi Steve

My car does not exhibit this (yet!!) It is a little rough on a cold morning but all diesel engines share this trait.

I think i know what you are describing though. I drove a demonstrator e350cdi coupe which did this 'chatter' noise between certain revs - it had around 3k miles on it and i didn`t really pat too much attention.

I am surprised the stealer is saying taht you wre spoiled with the cls 320cdi and the 350cdi is supposed to be an evolution of that engine.

Hope you have luck in getting it sorted - please feedback when you do.

BTW - how do you find it for rattles and noises in the cabin - the frameless windows on mine have develpoed a slight rattle over certain terrain only when interior is warm.

Regards
Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM

E class Coupe 350CDI
Hi, Thanks for the swift reply.

I have had the music up loud to take my mind off the engine noise, so I will have a listen for the noises you mention.

On the plus side for the car, the road and wind noise are very good, especially bearing in mind the way the windows close, better than any car I have had in fact, including the cls.

Steve
Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 PM

E550C. Sold: '98 vette, '04 M3, '01 M5, '05 TL, BMW330 Cabrio (x2), BMW323 Coupe, '07 Benz C230
beautiful car, i like seeing it next to the bmw for comparison purposes
Old 11-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Mercedes E Coupe
Originally Posted by cmcbenz
beautiful car, i like seeing it next to the bmw for comparison purposes
do you have pics of your e coupe?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM

E550C. Sold: '98 vette, '04 M3, '01 M5, '05 TL, BMW330 Cabrio (x2), BMW323 Coupe, '07 Benz C230
Originally Posted by Blaugrana
do you have pics of your e coupe?
yes, go to photo gallery back to oct 21 or try this link:
https://mbworld.org/forums/members/c...ums-e550c.html
Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 AM

Mercedes E Coupe
Originally Posted by cmcbenz
yes, go to photo gallery back to oct 21 or try this link:
https://mbworld.org/forums/members/c...ums-e550c.html

You have the black interior? I ordered the naturbeige interior but I'm scared black is better :P