E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Ack! My Kids Are Getting Car Sick in the Back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Ack! My Kids Are Getting Car Sick in the Back

O.k., after a few weeks of testing, I've sadly come to the conclusion that my kids get car-sick when riding in the back of my E350.

I don't know if it is the combination of the MB-Tex smell (which is faint now), and the cushy ride. Seriously, I think my 5 year old almost lost her breakfast in the backseat this morning.

Little darling was a few shades of green when we pulled over and I let her out the back.

When we drove back, I opened all the windows and the sun roof and played the radio loudly to distract them. All the wind, seems to have helped.

Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping it's just the smell of the MB-Tex... I tried switching to sport mode, but honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Weird. When I was very young my parents had a (new-ish at the time) 300 SD, I used to feel sick in that car (hated it actually), the smell had a lot to do with it.

My E made me feel kind of nauseous when I first got it for some reason (my S500 did not ever), couldn't tell what it was, the smell, driving position, dunno. Now I'm perfect in there, and my Girlfriend feels "sick" when sitting in the passenger seat, although she doesn't know if that has to do with simply not feeling well when sitting in the passenger seat of cars period (which is also kind of the case with me).

My cars ride is surprisingly pretty stiff with the Suspension, mixed with that M-B cushiness, I wonder if that mix has to do with upsetting some peoples "stomaches".

Last edited by K-A; 12-30-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM

2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
Havent noticed yet but my son is only 2. So far seems to fall asleep better in the benz than he does in our MDX. (about 2k miles so far)
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by ghostrdr
O.k., after a few weeks of testing, I've sadly come to the conclusion that my kids get car-sick when riding in the back of my E350.

I don't know if it is the combination of the MB-Tex smell (which is faint now), and the cushy ride. Seriously, I think my 5 year old almost lost her breakfast in the backseat this morning.

Little darling was a few shades of green when we pulled over and I let her out the back.

When we drove back, I opened all the windows and the sun roof and played the radio loudly to distract them. All the wind, seems to have helped.

Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping it's just the smell of the MB-Tex... I tried switching to sport mode, but honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two.

I have not had the kids in the back for an extended period so I cannot comment. One comment though- you do not have an adjustable suspension, you changed the tranny shift mode to sport which starts the car in first gear instead of second and increases shift points along with a few other tranny tweaks...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM

2010 EClass 350 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by ghostrdr

If you have an entertainment system, that can induce motion sickness as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The 7G in "S" mode is jerky enough to induce motion sickness to about anyone not used to it I think. Not sure if they improved on that with the tranny's in the 212, but so far it seems mixed from what I've gathered.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM

2010 E550 Sedan; Sold 2000 S500
Neither my 3 yo nor my 6 yo have gotten sick (and my 6 yo hurls at the drop of a hat!). They've ridden in the back for about 2,000 miles on my E550.

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Steeler Nation
If you have an entertainment system, that can induce motion sickness as well.
Hey SteerNation you from Sixburgh?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM

2010 GLK350
i used to be the same way. i always got sick in the back of the car when i was kid. here are some of the things i did that helped:
-open the windows. this gives fresh air and removes the sickness caused by any smell in the car.
-always look out the windows (particularly ahead to where we are going). seeing the motion happening along with feeling it helps a lot in controlling the motion sickness. part of getting motion sickness (especially dizziness) is caused by your brain not understanding where the feeling of motion is coming from if you can't see yourself moving.

according to my physics professor, apparently, the harmonics of a car's suspension was designed to mimic the harmonics of an adult person walking to maximize the comfort of the driver (as in the frequency in which the suspension bounces back and forth after encountering a bump). so to an adult riding in the car, the car's bounciness feels natural and familiar. but since kids are much shorter and have a different frequency to their walk, the bouncing motion in the car feels very unnatural and uncomfortable. hence a lot of them (including me back then) get carsick.