Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Steering Wheel Preference >

Steering Wheel Preference

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Steering Wheel Preference

 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:43 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 124
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
350 sd
Steering Wheel Preference

Which steering wheel do you prefer... the stock, or the option sport wheel? Wish they offered the AMG version... seems to have the best of both.
jmbaker3 is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 345
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
non sport felt really thin to me....I really like the sport. Depends on personal preference though
mg-E550 is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 08:51 AM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 124
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
350 sd
Originally Posted by mg-E550 View Post
non sport felt really thin to me....I really like the sport. Depends on personal preference though
My wife likes the non sport since she drives with her hands in the lower position and gives her a place to rest them, I prefer the sport since I drive in the upper range of the wheel and like the fatter section to hold on to. Always the way with us. I think the sport version is better looking... wish though they would do away with the small chrome insert at the bottom and just go all black. Or the 2 pieces of chrome on the non sport version.
jmbaker3 is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I prefer the Sport wheel for driving but since I got the Luxury trim, I prefer the wood/leather combo for appearance. As stated it all comes down to personal preferences.

Nevada Jack is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Taipei
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
I like the sport one!

musk is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,383
Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan
Luxury for me

Originally Posted by jmbaker3 View Post
Which steering wheel do you prefer... the stock, or the option sport wheel? Wish they offered the AMG version... seems to have the best of both.
I got the wood/leather steering wheel, but per brochure it is only available with the Luxury version. Much prefer the wood/leather to others.
El Cid is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA, Texas
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E550 & 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Sport steering wheel not available with Lane Assist.

I like the way the sport feels, its smaller size and three spokes are nice.


BTW my 09/2009 build Sport Sedan E550 with Lane Keeping Assist did not come with the Sport steering wheel.

It seems there is not a sport steering wheel with the lane warning for non AMG sedans.

Perhaps mine is an early supply issue and M-B has all variations of the steering wheels now?

Last edited by CLK500man; 02-13-2010 at 02:54 PM.
CLK500man is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 03:06 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 345
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
The wood wheel really looks great....pic from Nevada JAck looks really sharp. My only issue is those never seem to feel good when driving aggressively. Maybe the Benz is different
mg-E550 is offline  
Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
  #9  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
3-Spoke wheels are hit or miss to me, but in this case I like the Sport wheel. It felt amazing to me, fat, high quality leather wrapped around it, smooth, just a pleasurable wheel to grip. Probably my favorite part of the cars interior.
K-A is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by CLK500man View Post
I like the way the sport feels, its smaller size and three spokes are nice.


BTW my 09/2009 build Sport Sedan E550 with Lane Keeping Assist did not come with the Sport steering wheel.

It seems there is not a sport steering wheel with the lane warning for non AMG sedans.

Perhaps mine is an early supply issue and M-B has all variations of the steering wheels now?
All the E350 and E550 Sports will have the 4 Spoke steering wheel if ordered with the Driver Assistance Package. Nice car, enjoy!
pmb600 is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:16 AM
  #11  
DHI
Member
 
DHI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
Originally Posted by pmb600 View Post
All the E350 and E550 Sports will have the 4 Spoke steering wheel if ordered with the Driver Assistance Package. Nice car, enjoy!
Correct. Same for CANADIAN orders. If you take the Technology package (lane assist, heated steering, blindspot assist) the standard three spoke is replaced by the 4 spoke. I found this out when taking delivery of my 2 month order.

I would have ultimately preferred the three spoke, but I would never call the 4 spoke wheel rim "thin".

Last edited by DHI; 02-14-2010 at 09:38 AM.
DHI is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E550 Sport, P2
When I test drove the E350 a couple of weeks ago I much preferred the standard 4 spoke wheel. It just really had a nice feel to it.

I want the AMG wheel package but not the sport steering wheel so now I guess I have to order the drive assist package.
volfan615 is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Originally Posted by DHI View Post
Correct. Same for CANADIAN orders. If you take the Technology package (lane assist, heated steering, blindspot assist) the standard three spoke is replaced by the 4 spoke. I found this out when taking delivery of my 2 month order.

I would have ultimately preferred the three spoke, but I would never call the 4 spoke wheel rim "thin".
So, did you try and combine the sports package (6-spoke wheels, sports steering wheel) with the Technology package? I was told that I had to pick one or the other, but not both.

My ideal preference would have been to have the tech package, and the 6-spoke wheels, with the regular steering wheel. From your comments it sounds like I could have ordered those two package in combination and got exactly what I wanted.
leaf is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E550 4MATIC
The nice thing about the E-Class steering wheels is that they are all wrapped in Premium Nappa Leather which is a new feature for model year 2010.
pmb600 is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM
  #15  
DHI
Member
 
DHI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
So, did you try and combine the sports package (6-spoke wheels, sports steering wheel) with the Technology package? I was told that I had to pick one or the other, but not both.

My ideal preference would have been to have the tech package, and the 6-spoke wheels, with the regular steering wheel. From your comments it sounds like I could have ordered those two package in combination and got exactly what I wanted.
If you order the 800$ Tech Package (I think the lane assist is the culprit), you lose the 3 spoke in favor of a 4 spoke.

(Canadian option possibilities are fewer, but appear more cost effective than US)

Last edited by DHI; 02-14-2010 at 02:35 PM.
DHI is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaazmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,852
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack View Post
I prefer the Sport wheel for driving but since I got the Luxury trim, I prefer the wood/leather combo for appearance. As stated it all comes down to personal preferences.

+1 on the wood wheel. i like it better than the 3 spoke. just so rich.
gaazmon is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
220S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by musk View Post
I like the sport one!

I just noticed on this pic (and Nevada Jack's) that there's no "off" setting on the headlights(?) Are they "on" or "auto" only?

I have active Bi-Xenons and I don't want them firing up and off all the time when I'm in and out of my garage or in subterranean parking lots, or in short tunnels, etc.. Plus I'm told that ignition is what affects HID longevity. So, I just leave them off. (With halogens, I wouldn't care either way.)

And sometimes I want to shut off the lights altogether, like when I stalk movie stars at night and still want the car running for a quick get away.

There must be a way to shut them off. How's it done on a W212?
220S is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 04:25 PM
  #18  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I've heard you can't. It seems M-B went too far with the nanny-ing with the new E.

BTW, is that like a Chinese E-Classes interior above? Anybody notice the white stitching on the center console/armrest? Interesting. Would be nice if they did that for U.S models too.
K-A is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaazmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,852
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by 220S View Post
I just noticed on this pic (and Nevada Jack's) that there's no "off" setting on the headlights(?) Are they "on" or "auto" only?

I have active Bi-Xenons and I don't want them firing up and off all the time when I'm in and out of my garage or in subterranean parking lots, or in short tunnels, etc.. Plus I'm told that ignition is what affects HID longevity. So, I just leave them off. (With halogens, I wouldn't care either way.)

And sometimes I want to shut off the lights altogether, like when I stalk movie stars at night and still want the car running for a quick get away.

There must be a way to shut them off. How's it done on a W212?
ya, forget that auto always bs. i have mine always off.

+1 on the ignition thing
gaazmon is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 05:15 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Martinsvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
I personally like the sport wheel as long as it is 3 spoke. I am not a fan of any of the 4 spoke wheels out there. Maybe its the old ways, but a proper sport steering wheel can only be 3 spoke with the spokes at 3, 6, and 9 oclock, with thumb grooves if possible. Kind of close to the old Personal Fitti-e3 or the MoMo 3 spoke. It is hard to improve on those designs.
Martinsvi is offline  
Old 02-14-2010, 05:36 PM
  #21  
ipp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 315
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
BTW, is that like a Chinese E-Classes interior above? Anybody notice the white stitching on the center console/armrest? Interesting. Would be nice if they did that for U.S models too.
It's the same in EU when you order AMG-pack you'll get the white stitching.
ipp is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 AM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oakbrook, IL
Posts: 140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'10 E550 4Matic, '09 S600, '07 CL600
Originally Posted by ipp View Post
It's the same in EU when you order AMG-pack you'll get the white stitching.
Did anyone else notice the pedals? There are metal instead of the all rubber ones we see in the US.
ddskier is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 AM
  #23  
ipp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 315
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by ddskier View Post
Did anyone else notice the pedals? There are metal instead of the all rubber ones we see in the US.
Yepp, they are included too.

Exterior
Encourage the sporty side of the E-Class with the optional AMG sports package[1], which includes among other things - apart from the AMG Styling package with front and rear aprons and side skirts - 18-inch 6-twin-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels and a sporty suspension set-up.

On the technical side, the AMG sports package makes its mark with a lower-slung chassis and perforated front brake discs along with Mercedes-Benz lettering on the front brake callipers they not only look incredibly sporty, they also deliver outstanding braking performance when called upon.

Interior
The interior, too, gets a sporty makeover with the AMG sports package. For example the driver and front passenger have sports seats with excellent lateral stability. The seats come upholstered as standard with leather in black. In addition, the seats and the armrests on the doors and the centre console feature light-coloured double topstitching. A sporty driving feeling also comes courtesy of the AMG 3-spoke sports steering wheel with DIRECT SELECT steering-wheel gearshift buttons for manual gear changes and the brushed stainless steel sports pedals with rubber studs.
ipp is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 AM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E350
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I've heard you can't. It seems M-B went too far with the nanny-ing with the new E.

BTW, is that like a Chinese E-Classes interior above? Anybody notice the white stitching on the center console/armrest? Interesting. Would be nice if they did that for U.S models too.
That's also available in the US, although I'm not sure about the details. I just know that when I tested a Coupe with Black interior it had the White stitching. The Mrs. reeeeeally liked it. haha
Rowrbazzle is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Taipei
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe




musk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Preference


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: