Abnormal wear on MBTex seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Abnormal wear on MBTex seats?

Have had my E350 with gray interior for four months and 2,200 miles.
It seems the door side bolster on the driver's seat is wering more than it should. Almost see a darker color coming through on the "bumps".
It is NOT transfer from pants, especially as I do not even own blue jeans.
Anybody else seen this?
Plan to show it to dealer when I take it in for the free tire rotation before 5K.

Last edited by El Cid; 03-30-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
I have 47K on my C300 with MB-Tex. It looks as good as the day I picked it up. I would complain.
RP
Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
picture?!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLE 450 4Matic, 2018 Jaguar F-Type R Convertible
Yeah, I have the grey MBTex as well, and the part of the seat-back where the lumbar support is has worn through. The blue jean discoloration wipes off from the other areas of the seat, but this area looks like the bumps have been worn through, as you described. It is dark underneath the "bumps". I've tried everything to get that cleaned, but nothing has worked - leather cleaner, vinyl cleaner, carpet cleaner, soap and water, etc... Even tried a small area with those white Mr Clean pads. Nothing. I think the edge of my leather belts has caused abrasions and has broken down the MBTex and has caused this bizarre discoloration.

When I took my car in for service recently, the M-B service writer told me that Mercedes won't do anything - she has seen it before, that I was free to write M-B, but not to expect anything.

Let me know if you get anywhere....
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by geoaero
Yeah, I have the grey MBTex as well, and the part of the seat-back where the lumbar support is has worn through. The blue jean discoloration wipes off from the other areas of the seat, but this area looks like the bumps have been worn through, as you described. It is dark underneath the "bumps". I've tried everything to get that cleaned, but nothing has worked - leather cleaner, vinyl cleaner, carpet cleaner, soap and water, etc... Even tried a small area with those white Mr Clean pads. Nothing. I think the edge of my leather belts has caused abrasions and has broken down the MBTex and has caused this bizarre discoloration.

When I took my car in for service recently, the M-B service writer told me that Mercedes won't do anything - she has seen it before, that I was free to write M-B, but not to expect anything.

Had an RX-7 convertible with leather seats several years ago. The side bolsters on the seat bottom wore really quickly, but it was more of a cracking thing. The side bolster was really high and I slid over it every time I got into/out of car. Mazda replaced driver's seat "cover," but it still wore again after a while.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid
Had an RX-7 convertible with leather seats several years ago. The side bolsters on the seat bottom wore really quickly, but it was more of a cracking thing. The side bolster was really high and I slid over it every time I got into/out of car. Mazda replaced driver's seat "cover," but it still wore again after a while.
Yeah, this MBTex isn't cracking. It's just wearing out in a "bump" pattern. If you manage to get MB to do anything, let us know.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA Customer Care

Waiting until I have more miles on it and going to dealer anyway-probably another 3 months or so.
You could call MBUSA Customer Care and if not satisfied with initial response, tell the rep. that you want an Executive Case Manager to call you.
Apparently MBUSA does NOT make appointments for regional/district representatives to meet with customers to discuss their problems and look at the vehicles. It is all up to the dealer service manager.

Last edited by El Cid; 04-03-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Tex or leather should not wear like that. My take is that its some sort of dirt. Try cleaning the area with a good upholstry cleaner and it may come off. The ash by the way is not real popular and it looks to me like its dirty when its actually clean. Years ago had a W210 with ash and it just looked soiled all the time. That was leather.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Apparently MBUSA does NOT make appointments for regional/district representatives to meet with customers to discuss their problems and look at the vehicles. It is all up to the dealer service manager.
Check your email.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Waiting until I have more miles on it and going to dealer anyway-probably another 3 months or so.
You could call MBUSA Customer Care and if not satisfied with initial response, tell the rep. that you want an Executive Case Manager to call you.
You've given me incentive to start making some calls. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
Tex or leather should not wear like that. My take is that its some sort of dirt. Try cleaning the area with a good upholstry cleaner and it may come off. The ash by the way is not real popular and it looks to me like its dirty when its actually clean. Years ago had a W210 with ash and it just looked soiled all the time. That was leather.
Unfortunately, a close look at this area shows that the ash gray area has been removed, exposing the under-layer. More like when car paint is scraped and the clear coat and base color coat are removed, exposing primer or bare metal. I wish it were only dirt.

I have tried a variety of leather and vinyl cleaners, carpet cleaners, and even a Magic Eraser in a small test area. Nothing.

I'm going to see if I can get a digital photo of this area...
Old 04-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
PM your email address so I can forward information that may assist in obtaining warranty coverage.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Unfortunately, a close look at this area shows that the ash gray area has been removed, exposing the under-layer. More like when car paint is scraped and the clear coat and base color coat are removed, exposing primer or bare metal. I wish it were only dirt.

I have tried a variety of leather and vinyl cleaners, carpet cleaners, and even a Magic Eraser in a small test area. Nothing.

I'm going to see if I can get a digital photo of this area...
Well it was a thought anyway. I recall some years back on some tex cars specifically the ML there were some issues with the color coming off. It was fairly comman on certain colors or perhaps one color. I do not know how but somehow MB satisfied those who had the issue. I always order leather and have never had an issue. Last tex car was in 1974!!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 AM

The discolored area on the MBTex is best seen in the upper right corner.
Attached Thumbnails Abnormal wear on MBTex seats?-mbtex.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Kind of hard to tell on your photo but is that possibly some kind of stain from jeans or clothes that could have rubbed on over time?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by OceanView
Kind of hard to tell on your photo but is that possibly some kind of stain from jeans or clothes that could have rubbed on over time?
Sadly, no. I use a warm soapy paper towel to clean the rest of the blue jean stains off the other areas of the seat. I think this is an abrasion from where the lumbar support protrudes, and my belt hits it, causing wear of the material.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Appears to be same

The discolored area on the MBTex is best seen in the upper right corner.
This appears to be the same thing I am experiencing. It is on the tops of the bolsters on the seat and back support next to door. I do not slide across them when I enter the car, but do when exiting. Regardless, it should not be wearing.
Not showing up anywhere else on seats.
M-B USA and dealer are very specific. Use very, very diluted detergent and water to clean seats.