E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

mbrace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E 350 luxury sedan
My Mercedes dealer also told me it was $285.00 per annum, not lifetime. Still riding my 6 month free trial offer, but unlikely to extend. Have marked my calendar to call prior to the trial offer terminating. They ran my card when activated and I just don't want the hassle of having to request a credit. Certain it is a good program for a certain type of driver, but not me.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Per mbrace rep today, the $299 lifetime deal is only for 2009 M-B's and earlier. They call them "legacy vehicles." If you have a 2010, you are stuck with the $280 per year for basic mbrace.
Can you switch from mbrace to Tele-Aid and if so what's the phone number?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 AM

2014 E 550 Cabriolet. Black exterior with red interior, 2009 C 350. 2013 Toyota highlander.
Hello

Can i retro fit my 2009 C350 with Mbrace. It doesnt have Teleaid either. I personally think $299/year isnt too bad, considering a serious accident can happen to anyone, anytime and at any desolate place.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by El Cid
Per mbrace rep today, the $299 lifetime deal is only for 2009 M-B's and earlier. They call them "legacy vehicles." If you have a 2010, you are stuck with the $280 per year for basic mbrace.
Can you switch from mbrace to Tele-Aid and if so what's the phone number?
fwiw, I decided to stay with TeleAid for now (they're also BMW Assist.) Here's their contact info:
http://www.vehicleresponsecenter.com/overview/

Ask for a deal. The prices they have now are less than MBrace's current yearly fee.

The only thing that you might have issues with, is if you had your dealer set up your car already for MBrace. They probably won't switch it back. But it's simply a phone number setup and I'm guessing TeleAid will walk you through it or tell you how to get it done.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MURTAZAC350
Hello

Can i retro fit my 2009 C350 with Mbrace. It doesnt have Teleaid either. I personally think $299/year isnt too bad, considering a serious accident can happen to anyone, anytime and at any desolate place.
Phone number for mbrace is 866-990-9007. Ask for their best deal, but be aware there are two levels and higher one adds about $20 per month to the $280 annual cost.

As for retrifitting, I don't know about that. Art the buttons there? Mine are on the ceiling with all the other buttons/lights.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MURTAZAC350
Hello

fwiw, TeleAid offered me $190 per year for the same service (and internet mapping works if you have a 2009 or later vehicle.) If you call them to inquire, tell them you're thinking about using MBrace and ask for a deal.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:20 PM

CLS550
I SUBMIT THIS AS A COMPLAINT: I think it is a travesty that Mercedes Benz pulled the rug from under its customers feet in regard to this Teleaid issue without any warning; and on top of that after Mercedes did - they hold us hostage by not allowing certain owners to switch over to mbrace until NOVEMBER 2010. Now I am stuck without a service that gave me search & send and peace of mind. I was going to purchase a new E Class Coupe but after this fiasco I decided against it. I am getting ready to go on vacation and will be real vulnerable without any service. (The selling point for me with Teleaid was mostly the “Search and Send”, so without that service I can not continue with Tele-Aid. Does Mercedes Benz not value its customers to put them in harms way or even peril without a service that was instrumental in the sale? As a member of MBCA and several forums, those of us with recent purchases are not satisfied customers... If in fact before the date I can have my system switched over to mbrace (Supposedly November 2010), I happen to need the service and not have it, I will hold Mercedes Benz USA personally responsible for any issues that may ensue.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ESCADA
I SUBMIT THIS AS A COMPLAINT: I think it is a travesty that Mercedes Benz pulled the rug from under its customers feet in regard to this Teleaid issue without any warning; and on top of that after Mercedes did - they hold us hostage by not allowing certain owners to switch over to mbrace until NOVEMBER 2010. Now I am stuck without a service that gave me search & send and peace of mind. I was going to purchase a new E Class Coupe but after this fiasco I decided against it. I am getting ready to go on vacation and will be real vulnerable without any service. (The selling point for me with Teleaid was mostly the “Search and Send”, so without that service I can not continue with Tele-Aid. Does Mercedes Benz not value its customers to put them in harms way or even peril without a service that was instrumental in the sale? As a member of MBCA and several forums, those of us with recent purchases are not satisfied customers... If in fact before the date I can have my system switched over to mbrace (Supposedly November 2010), I happen to need the service and not have it, I will hold Mercedes Benz USA personally responsible for any issues that may ensue.
I understand your frustration. But do put it in perspective: these are contract companies and aren't run by MB. They are options (you pay for the service.) MBrace (Hughes Telematics) paid big money to get this contract away from TeleAid (ATX, Inc.) There was a big lawsuit because of this, therefore info was never dispersed to the end users, etc.. It's all about $$$.

It's unfortunate but it also happened when telematics went from analog to digital. MB did a poor job with that too and hence the class action lawsuit.

No excuse, they did a poor customer relations job with this one. But like I said, it's about money and MB likes money as do their shareholders. Consumers are always left holding the bag.

If it's any consolation, you can get directions sent to your nav simply by hitting the i button while you're in route. TeleAid will send the directions immediately. Some folks feel that's even better than having to be at a computer and then sending the info. This way you can do it while you're in your car. imho, the search and send isn't such a big deal, esp since you need a computer, etc.. It sounds great but in reality I only used it once.

The Google map feature still works with BMW Assist (which is the same TeleAid company: ATX.) But MBrace has forced it to be a Hughes exclusive feature with Google (again $$ is always involved.) This may very well change over time. In fact, TeleAid (ATX) is now working with Bing to have the same service. It may not solve your issue immediately, but I have a feeling all telematics services will eventually work with Google, Bing, etc..

If you're super scared about traveling without a Google map, you still have the i button at your fingertips. The other option is to use an inexpensive Garmin and send from Google to that device. The SOS and the wrench button feature of TeleAid will still work fine in case of any real emergency.

I think paper maps are still used in some parts of the world.

Don't forget we all traveled way before advanced electronics. I survived and am still alive without much incident. In hindsight travel was probably a more fun and a true adventure back then, too.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM

08 CLS 63, 08 Jeep Wrangler
Interesting comment about paper maps. I have often wondered what would happen to a lot of people who only rely on their nav systems if the satellites ever failed? How many people have a backup map in their car?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool Paper Believer

Originally Posted by RogueAg
Interesting comment about paper maps. I have often wondered what would happen to a lot of people who only rely on their nav systems if the satellites ever failed? How many people have a backup map in their car?
I have always kept paper maps of the states through which I am driving in the door pockets. Many times they were invaluable in selecting bypass routes around construction and accident sites. One tractor trailer turnover will block interstates for hours - in both directions.

mbrace is not an M-B service per se, but the charge is $280 per year if you did not qualify for the marketing strategy to get people to change from Teleaide. May not be M-B's fault, but it is their name on the product. Called Teleaide-they wanted $240 per year plus whatever dealer charges to make the conversion. Will stick with cell phone and roadside assistance.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
I have used Tele-Aid many times in the past to either download directions from Google Maps or get updated directions while in transit. I never had a problem with Tele-Aid and always found them helpful when I called.

Foolishly, I recently switched over to Mbrace. After finding that the Google Maps feature was discontinued by Tele-Aid, liking the iPhone App and getting a good lifetime price on Mbrace, I made the switch. I also opted for the premium service which was to be free for 3 months and billed thereafter unless I cancelled.

Bad move. Last week on July 18, I had downloaded an alternate route from Google Maps to my car. Unfortunately, the alternate route that was displayed on my computer was not the route that ended up in my car. So, I called Mbrace. The automatic route guidance system told me I did not have the premium service. So, I waited for an operator. They guy had no clue about anything. All he could tell me was that customer service was closed and I did not show having the premium service. He said he would get someone on the line that could help. After 10 minutes...really 10 minutes, roadside assistance came on. They said I will need patience as they do not know how to get me directions but if I hold they will try. I held for several minutes until I reached a point in my trip where I either went the way I knew or went off into uncharted territory for me. I ended up going the usual way. I finally hung up. I never got a call back although they knew who they were talking to. Horrible service that MB has connected itself with.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fwiw, MBrace (Hughes Telematics) are rookies in the business. TeleAid (ATX) is one of the pioneers and still services BMW, Rolls Royce, etc.. They have a lot more experience.

That said, MBrace will probably get better over time. Plus some people have had bad experiences with TeleAid, too. Pick your poison, I suppose.

btw, I stayed with TeleAid. They have some great stuff (smart phone apps, etc.) coming soon and also have more experience. All telematics companies seem very competitive with the technology. Where they are really trying to do battle is signing contracts with auto manufacturers and hardware/software companies.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Smile

Tele-aid was offered on my new E350 for a full year at no cost. Today I received a charge on my CC for next year's renewal at $240 + tax as per the contract.

Just for fun, I contacted Tele-aid and told them I was considering switching to mbrace, and they offered me a $100 discount to continue with their service. I think I could have haggled them some more, but I didn't want to push my luck.

Quick and easy! Thanks, Tele-Aid
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by mm9351
Tele-aid was offered on my new E350 for a full year at no cost. Today I received a charge on my CC for next year's renewal at $240 + tax as per the contract.

Just for fun, I contacted Tele-aid and told them I was considering switching to mbrace, and they offered me a $100 discount to continue with their service. I think I could have haggled them some more, but I didn't want to push my luck.

Quick and easy! Thanks, Tele-Aid

I don't think you could have haggled for any more... I tried... twice. I took their offer.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:00 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by petee1997
Unfortunately for me, there have been no empty Molson for the past 22 years. If it takes 10 inklings to a clue, I'm sure you have an inkling why. All that's left is the goddam poutine. C'est la vie.
Congrats on the 22 years!!! Way to go, thats a nice achievement