Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Thoughts on best buy: 212 E350 VS CLS55/CLS550 VS Used S550

I hate to make one of these "decide for me what is the best car" type of Threads, and we've seen it so many times before. I'm in the debating stages for my next car, and curious to know what drivers of the new E-Class think, seeing as to how some non-Leasers probably cross-shopped these too. This can maybe serve as a reference from the many others in the same pickle.

Keep in mind that I don't have a family, am under 30, etc., so I don't need the practicality of a Sedan, however, just like big 4-Doors. Also, I drive my "garage queen" like 5K miles a year, so I don't need the most economical car.

My thoughts:

Objective E350 Pro's: New body (will be current for 6 more years), massive Warranty (headache free ownership), durable, economical, will be basically brand new, will be a worry free ownership experience probably. Also, very modern and sharp/crisp styling, and I am a sucker for the classic proud M-B 3-Box shape, especially mixed with a sleek "coupe-like" grace.

Cons: Will become more and more common (not sure if that'll affect my perception of it yet), will have legions of Joe/Jane's beating around in identical looking cars, ho-hum 268 HP V6 I'm so used to, luxurious but not so thrilling, rear end is hard for me to warm up to, might see big depreciation once the new D/I motors come out. Some interior materials aren't up to par, but for the most part it's good and fit & finish/sturdiness is superb.

CLS55 Pro's: Drove one and WOW, this thing is a joy. I never loved the CLS look, but like the W212, I can and have appreciated it more-so, since I've taken a step back and tried to understand where it's coming from, and really study the designs. The thing makes me feel alive, it's such a hot rod, and has such a sense of occasion, you feel like roads "rock star". Can get for cheaper than anything else I'm looking at (incredible value). Very pretty interior, and love the alcantra everywhere.

Cons: NO WARRANTY (deal breaker on its own), bad MPG (but I don't really care as it's not my daily driver), although the styling is hot in AMG form, some angles are still hard on me (and I must be the only person who misses the Star sitting on the hood), HARD to sell (nobody wants to touch 'em it seems), dated chassis/safety, new Body around the corner (I'll have the "old body" again, for what it's worth), and depreciation will be massive once that happens.

CLS550:
Basically the same story as the CLS55, but could be gotten CPO'd, and is a bit cheaper (and a bit newer).

S550:

Pro's: What I am truly after.

Cons: Super huge (might get tedious), pricing is a bit unreasonable now that they sell for about as much as a brand new E350, and this is speaking on non CPO examples, with relatively high mileage. I'm all about getting a CPO S550 with low mileage, but not sure if current pricing is worth it.

Also, E63 is considered, but as much as I love the W211, I've already had one, so would like to try something different (although man would I love an E63). F10 5-Series is as well, but I don't have that patience I think, especially to wait for the M-Pack to come out, etc. E550 is also a prime choice, but I won't spend over $50K on an E-Class that's not an AMG, just not worth it for me personally.

----
Would be interested to hear your thoughts/opinions, or if anything, take what I said into consideration if you're also in the market.

Gonna Test drive everything tomorrow probably.

Last edited by K-A; 05-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
I hate to make one of these "decide for me what is the best car" type of Threads, and we've seen it so many times before. I'm in the debating stages for my next car, and curious to know what drivers of the new E-Class think, seeing as to how some non-Leasers probably cross-shopped these too. This can maybe serve as a reference from the many others in the same pickle.

Keep in mind that I don't have a family, am under 30, etc., so I don't need the practicality of a Sedan, however, just like big 4-Doors. Also, I drive my "garage queen" like 5K miles a year, so I don't need the most economical car.

My thoughts:

Objective E350 Pro's: New body (will be current for 6 more years), massive Warranty (headache free ownership), durable, economical, will be basically brand new, will be a worry free ownership experience probably. Also, very modern and sharp/crisp styling, and I am a sucker for the classic proud M-B 3-Box shape, especially mixed with a sleek "coupe-like" grace.

Cons: Will become more and more common (not sure if that'll affect my perception of it yet), will have legions of Joe/Jane's beating around in identical looking cars, ho-hum 268 HP V6 I'm so used to, luxurious but not so thrilling, rear end is hard for me to warm up to, might see big depreciation once the new D/I motors come out. Some interior materials aren't up to par, but for the most part it's good and fit & finish/sturdiness is superb.

CLS55 Pro's: Drove one and WOW, this thing is a joy. I never loved the CLS look, but like the W212, I can and have appreciated it more-so, since I've taken a step back and tried to understand where it's coming from, and really study the designs. The thing makes me feel alive, it's such a hot rod, and has such a sense of occasion, you feel like roads "rock star". Can get for cheaper than anything else I'm looking at (incredible value). Very pretty interior, and love the alcantra everywhere.

Cons: NO WARRANTY (deal breaker on its own), bad MPG (but I don't really care as it's not my daily driver), although the styling is hot in AMG form, some angles are still hard on me (and I must be the only person who misses the Star sitting on the hood), HARD to sell (nobody wants to touch 'em it seems), new Body around the corner (I'll have the "old body" again, for what it's worth), and depreciation will be massive once that happens.

CLS550:
Basically the same story as the CLS55, but could be gotten CPO'd, and is a bit cheaper (and a bit newer).

S550:

Cons: Super huge (might get tedious), pricing is a bit unreasonable now that they sell for about as much as a brand new E350, and this is speaking on non CPO examples, with relatively high mileage. I'm all about getting a CPO S550 with low mileage, but not sure if current pricing is worth it.

Also, E63 is considered, but as much as I love the W211, I've already had one, so would like to try something different (although man would I love an E63). F10 5-Series is as well, but I don't have that patience I think, especially to wait for the M-Pack to come out, etc. E550 is also a prime choice, but I won't spend over $50K on an E-Class that's not an AMG, just not worth it for me personally.

----
Would be interested to hear your thoughts/opinions, or if anything, take what I said into consideration if you're also in the market.

Gonna Test drive everything tomorrow probably.
imho, forget the E350 idea and move to something that's either truly fun to drive (i.e., AMG) or more roomy (i.e., S Class.)

If you decide on an AMG, don't fret about gas mileage. You can easily adjust your mpg with your right foot.

Other option is to sit tight right now and just use the Malibu. Then see how you feel and what the market's like around September.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks. Yeah I hear you. That's my thing, I want something a little more daring, either stupidly "big" and Luxo, or fast, etc. Driving that CLS55 I remembered how I used to not lust after anything that didn't have an emotive driving experience in one way or another.

The E350 is just such a "safe" choice, in every aspect of the word, but I fear that I'd be in the same situation I'm in right now in a couple of years.

BTW, I forgot to mention I've been lusting after the Maserati Quattroporte lately, but as the MASSIVE depreciation on those Exotics suggest, they are a literal and potential nightmare to own. I don't care about bad MPG really for my "Pleasure Car", and I don't really mind the high Maintenance (just once a year, and my E350 cost me friggin' $1K last year anyway), but it's the cost to fix, and rarity and $$$$ of parts that scare me about the QP.

Oh and yeah, I'm trying to be patient. Right now is the worst time to buy a car, as the '11 MY's are a couple of months away, and once September rolls around, whatever I buy now will get hit with its 1 year depreciation. Hard though to not want something now though.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
i know exactly how you feel. to be honest i wouldn't go with the E unless it was a V8 or AMG variant. I'd get like a 07-09 550, but in your shoes, I'd go with an E63 (it's kind of different since the facelift really changed the car, way sharper looking).

CLS is a nice car and I've thought about jumping into one like a 500 or 550 (most likely a 500, big difference in the price between 06 and 07, but would like to avoid SBC too).

The S550 is such a nice car, but again i know exactly how you feel, car is way too big for me right now and i don't think it would suit me well right now.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd forget the QP, personally. Issues like the DuoSelect clutch makes me kinda nervous. Although the QP isn't really that bad (so they say.) Resale is horrible. Real downside with Italians is that maintenance (non-warranty stuff) is so crazy expensive. Nice car though.

Anyway you'd be freaking out about every potential door ding, fender bender, etc.. And it's a car you can't drive in a lot of places (but with a Benz, since they are so common, you can get away with it.) That is, unless you like attracting attention to yourself. I'd get an Italian if it were a third car. No, actually I'd get a GT3 or 997.2 TT. Real performance and not so insane maintenance.

Since you seem to change cars often, certainly don't get a new W212 E350 unless you want to keep it for a long time. And as it is now, it needs that power upgrade. And when it comes, it's going to ding the resale value of the current version pretty heavily.

So if you get a CPO, then don't think so logically and just get what really puts a smile on your face. Once it's done, then enjoy it. Sell it when you want to move on. Cars are really a losing proposition except in the fun department. So get something enjoyable and don't look back. Get a QP if you really want one. And drive the Malibu when you're feeling guilty.

The thing about these kind of threads is that one gets feeling guilty about extravagance and just wants somebody to help them not feel that way. Yeah, sure, do the frugal thing and get an appliance car. You'll feel better doing that. Yeah, maybe for about 1 week.

You're a car enthusiast, nothing wrong with that. More fun than stamp collecting, imho.

p.s., as Gaazmon says, the W211 E63 is a different animal than the car you've been driving. Sharper suspension, steering, and tranny. Then there's the power plant. Plus there will be things that you are familiar with already which can be a good thing. The 2008-2009 are an option to consider (with the new COMAND in the '09s.)
Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a 997 TT... well that would be my #1 choice over anything
Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 AM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
Is the C63 out of the question?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
If you were enjoying your prev. E350 then you will definitely enjoy the new one even more. You will enjoy finding the differences and how you will start to like what you hate and grow up in you (don't ask me how, coz I donno the answer)

For me, I like the E ride more than other classes because it suites my style

All Merc. drive almost the same but changing the class for more options, different luxurious flavor and price tag

To help you on this IMO you should choose the size you prefer, let's say E-Class (Normally this is the easiest part)
Then you choose the Engine, E350, E550 or maybe E63
Finally, the options and packages (Hardest part if you are buying under a budget)

The cls is a sport sedan, very luxurious with a sporty flavor
The S is a huge sedan, very luxurious with a classic flavor
The new E is just like the old E, a simple mid-size sedan, just luxurious with both sporty and classic flavors

If I see an S I would assume the driver is 45+, CLS is 35- and for E I can't guess the driver's age

Last edited by salamt; 05-27-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by gaazmon
i know exactly how you feel. to be honest i wouldn't go with the E unless it was a V8 or AMG variant. I'd get like a 07-09 550, but in your shoes, I'd go with an E63 (it's kind of different since the facelift really changed the car, way sharper looking).

CLS is a nice car and I've thought about jumping into one like a 500 or 550 (most likely a 500, big difference in the price between 06 and 07, but would like to avoid SBC too).

The S550 is such a nice car, but again i know exactly how you feel, car is way too big for me right now and i don't think it would suit me well right now.
Yeah, I agree. CLS500 is insane cheap, but if I went CLS it'd have to be a 550 motor, and even the SBC on the CLS55 is making me cringe (I want to move past that damn braking system!! )

My big issue with the CLS right now (aside from no Warranty on the 55), is whether I'm going to REALLY like looking at that car after a while, and if it'll get dated. I've really looked at the car extensively lately, and I FINALLY understand why everyone thinks it's like the nicest design ever (I never got that), however, it still does rub me the wrong way in areas. I think it was so ahead of its time, it's holding up timelessly thus far, but not sure how that'll stand.

Originally Posted by 220S
I'd forget the QP, personally. Issues like the DuoSelect clutch makes me kinda nervous. Although the QP isn't really that bad (so they say.) Resale is horrible. Real downside with Italians is that maintenance (non-warranty stuff) is so crazy expensive. Nice car though.

Anyway you'd be freaking out about every potential door ding, fender bender, etc.. And it's a car you can't drive in a lot of places (but with a Benz, since they are so common, you can get away with it.) That is, unless you like attracting attention to yourself. I'd get an Italian if it were a third car. No, actually I'd get a GT3 or 997.2 TT. Real performance and not so insane maintenance.

Since you seem to change cars often, certainly don't get a new W212 E350 unless you want to keep it for a long time. And as it is now, it needs that power upgrade. And when it comes, it's going to ding the resale value of the current version pretty heavily.

So if you get a CPO, then don't think so logically and just get what really puts a smile on your face. Once it's done, then enjoy it. Sell it when you want to move on. Cars are really a losing proposition except in the fun department. So get something enjoyable and don't look back. Get a QP if you really want one. And drive the Malibu when you're feeling guilty.

The thing about these kind of threads is that one gets feeling guilty about extravagance and just wants somebody to help them not feel that way. Yeah, sure, do the frugal thing and get an appliance car. You'll feel better doing that. Yeah, maybe for about 1 week.

You're a car enthusiast, nothing wrong with that. More fun than stamp collecting, imho.

p.s., as Gaazmon says, the W211 E63 is a different animal than the car you've been driving. Sharper suspension, steering, and tranny. Then there's the power plant. Plus there will be things that you are familiar with already which can be a good thing. The 2008-2009 are an option to consider (with the new COMAND in the '09s.)
Yeah, I hear you.

The QP is just something I gotta stop tempting myself with, I REALLY would love to have a friggin' *Ferrari* 4-Door, but you're so right, I'd be driving myself NUTS with paranoia's toward that thing. At least I know that if something on a Benz breaks, I can get it replaced/fixed easily, even though it's expensive, a Maserati is super expensive, and sources are SO limited and rare, I'd literally freak out over everything.

Yeah, I always like to say I'll keep a car forever, but that doesn't seem to be happening yet, lol. I spent so much extra money getting a pristine E350 CPO'd, and I ended up selling it shortly after the Factory Warranty expired, and I babied it more than I drove it.

My issue is, that right now CPO's command SO much extra money, I'm wondering is it worth it for me, or do I just take the gamble, and get a freakin' 500 HP beast, let it make me as happy as a vehicle can, and use that as making it's expenses being all on my dime worth it.

Anyway, I definitely think you're advice is good. Also, I feel that if I do get the new E350, it'll be so much more the doings of my brain. I surely would love the car if I had one, but I just feel like it's pointless to have a "garage queen" car that I baby and put 4K miles a year on, that is designed to be a high-mileage, economical, basically "appliance" to most of its owner. That's why I sold my beloved E350.

My family gives me so much hell for all the money I'm "wasting", I figure, hey, some people waste money on pointless and forgettable things. The only thing I really throw my money at is Cars.

Oh, and you're right about the E63. I keep remembering when I drove in one, it certainly felt nothing like my E350 in any way. I'm gonna look at some probably. I would LOVE one, perfect all around car. I'm just wondering if it'd be more "fun" to experience an alternate design.

Originally Posted by ipp
Is the C63 out of the question?
You know, I've really tried getting myself into that car. It's just, I'm not the biggest "C" fan, although the C63 is pure wicked. It's a bit too small, and C's are so common, and I know myself, I'll always secretly feel it's "entry-level"-ness. Also it's interior is very low-end IMO, even though the AMG does spruce it up a bit.

Who knows though, I think after a Test Drive I might be singing to a different tune on that one.

Originally Posted by salamt
If you were enjoying your prev. E350 then you will definitely enjoy the new one even more. You will enjoy finding the differences and how you will start to like what you hate and grow up in you (don't ask me how, coz I donno the answer)

For me, I like the E ride more than other classes because it suites my style

All Merc. drive almost the same but changing the class for more options, different luxurious flavor and price tag

To help you on this IMO you should choose the size you prefer, let's say E-Class (Normally this is the easiest part)
Then you choose the Engine, E350, E550 or maybe E63
Finally, the options and packages (Hardest part if you are buying under a budget)

The cls is a sport sedan, very luxurious with a sporty flavor
The S is a huge sedan, very luxurious with a classic flavor
The new E is just like the old E, a simple mid-size sedan, just luxurious with both sporty and classic flavors

If I see an S I would assume the driver is 45+, CLS is 35- and for E I can't guess the driver's age
I hear you. Yeah, issue with the S is also that in certain elements, I'd almost feel embarrassed driving it, it's SUCH a statement, especially for a "young" guy.

The E-Class is pretty much the perfect car all in all IMO, just the right size, Luxurious enough to be prestigious, but not to the point of it costing an arm and a leg, etc. If E550's were a liitle bit cheaper (or if this were next year), I would seriously be considering a 550.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
I must say that I would restrict the choices between current models. W204 C63, W212 E350/550 or S-Class W221. Don't go for the W211 again or the very soon replaced CLS.

Personally if I were in your shoes I would pick the C63, it's insane, I love the concept of compact goog looking lux sedan with 6.2l V8... I agree with you on the interior, but I think the rest of the car would make up for it many times over...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ipp
I must say that I would restrict the choices between current models. W204 C63, W212 E350/550 or S-Class W221. Don't go for the W211 again or the very soon replaced CLS.

Personally if I were in your shoes I would pick the C63, it's insane, I love the concept of compact goog looking lux sedan with 6.2l V8... I agree with you on the interior, but I think the rest of the car would make up for it many times over...
Yeah, I'm trying to stick with that too. I don't mind if I own a body-style that's not current, if it's nice, and especially if I've owned it for a little bit and grown with it. However, I'm just thinking, let me try and somehow cover all bases, get a car that's currently in Production for at least another couple of years, and fits all the other criteria's.

My issue with owning the CLS after it goes out of Production, is that since I've just really started to look closely at it and like it more-so, it's still not too proven to me, so I dunno how I'll feel in a year or so.

The W211 E63 would be such a great car for me, but I'm trying to just set that thought aside, if at least for the reason for trying something completely different in all aspects. Although, on the flip-side, the familiarity would be nice, and I truly know and appreciate that design.

I'm gonna look into some C63's. They are just so bad-a$$, I might be able to get past the downfalls. Also, they hold value VERY well, all things considered.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM

2009 c63, 2011 GT500
c63 all the waaaay
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E300 4Matic sedan 2018 E400 4Matic coupe
K-A - in your title you refer to the 2012 E350. Wouldn't this be the perfect choice?

The W212 will have had two years for the bugs to be ironed out (although my 2010 E350 4Matic has been trouble-free so far). The new 3.5 liter V6 DI engine will be available, and the turbocharged 4.7 liter V8 might also be available.

I am also curious to know why you sold your beloved W211? I thought this was a keeper?

Last edited by Wig; 05-27-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
I'm gonna look into some C63's. They are just so bad-a$$, I might be able to get past the downfalls. Also, they hold value VERY well, all things considered.
K-A, don't forget that the C63 is a car that's really only meant to be driven fast. By that I mean it's too small and basic to be considered a comfortable cruiser like the bigger AMG variants (E and S Class.) Plus the suspension is pretty stiff and it eats rear tires. It's too one dimensional, imho.

I love the C63 for what it is. But the E and S means you can sometimes forget what's under the hood and simply drive it like a comfortable luxury car. The E and S AMGs have a great sound at WOT, but are quiet enough for those times when you just prefer comfort cruising.

p.s., what you said in your first post is revealing:

"S550:
"

Never go against your gut instinct. If the S550 is what you're really wanting inside, then do it. Make it work. If it's still under a year of warranty, then buy an ELW. Or stick some money in the bank for maintenance. It's like buying a house: you get a deal on what you want realizing, yes, you need a few bucks stashed away for repairs. Plus you have a second car, anyway. 4k a year is nothing (you could even qualify for collector car insurance from a company like Leland-West); hey, you won't be driving enough to ever have any issues, LOL.

fwiw, I bought a new 2009 W211 E63 at the end of the cycle for a huge discount. That discount is what I call my "maintenance fund." So basically I got a new car with "free maintenance." Work the numbers on the car you truly want. And then you won't ever have second thoughts or regrets because you didn't get what you really wanted.

And don't listen to anybody else, including me.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wig
K-A - in your title you refer to the 2012 E350. Wouldn't this be the perfect choice?

The W212 will have had two years for the bugs to be ironed out (although my 2010 E350 4Matic has been trouble-free so far). The new 3.5 liter V6 DI engine will be available, and the turbocharged 4.7 liter V8 might also be available.

I am also curious to know why you sold your beloved W211? I thought this was a keeper?
Ah, actually I meant the W212, as in the current 2010 MY. But yeah, I think in 2012 with the new motors, the W212 would be a much stronger contender were I in the same place as I am in now (hopefully that doesn't happen).

I dunno why I sold it.... Well I do. I thought that for all the pampering I do to it, and how low the mileage is, I should at the very least have an E55 or E63 in the garage, or W221, etc. I loved that car, but it was too much of a good economical driver to be treated the way I treated it. I ended up using it for my long distance work trips for the last couple of months that I owned it, and I ended up getting really bored with it (this is why I DO NOT drive my "nice" car on long distance work trips! I get bored of cars I drive a lot very easily).

Originally Posted by 220S
K-A, don't forget that the C63 is a car that's really only meant to be driven fast. By that I mean it's too small and basic to be considered a comfortable cruiser like the bigger AMG variants (E and S Class.) Plus the suspension is pretty stiff and it eats rear tires. It's too one dimensional, imho.

I love the C63 for what it is. But the E and S means you can sometimes forget what's under the hood and simply drive it like a comfortable luxury car. The E and S AMGs have a great sound at WOT, but are quiet enough for those times when you just prefer comfort cruising.

p.s., what you said in your first post is revealing:

"S550:
"

Never go against your gut instinct. If the S550 is what you're really wanting inside, then do it. Make it work. If it's still under a year of warranty, then buy an ELW. Or stick some money in the bank for maintenance. It's like buying a house: you get a deal on what you want realizing, yes, you need a few bucks stashed away for repairs. Plus you have a second car, anyway. 4k a year is nothing (you could even qualify for collector car insurance from a company like Leland-West); hey, you won't be driving enough to ever have any issues, LOL.

fwiw, I bought a new 2009 W211 E63 at the end of the cycle for a huge discount. That discount is what I call my "maintenance fund." So basically I got a new car with "free maintenance." Work the numbers on the car you truly want. And then you won't ever have second thoughts or regrets because you didn't get what you really wanted.

And don't listen to anybody else, including me.
Yeah, I looked into the C63 all last night after I posted, and as cool as it is for what it is, I know I can't get into a C-Class, I just don't have a very high regard for them (interior/commonality/entry-level-ness/size, etc). I'd rather go W211 E63 I'm gonna get into the 6.2L V8.

This is really random, but I was looking at pics of this W212 E350 that I've been considering, and noticed that it doesn't seem to have chrome at the top of the handles? Then I researched and found out that you have to have Keyless Go to get the ciassy chrome handle trim? Please tell me this isn't so? M-B's always have had chrome around the handles.

This is why I fear I won't be so thrilled with the E350, too many little areas I have stuck in my head that I know aren't up to par for me, which might just ruin my experience. Although the ease of ownership, with being a Brand New car basically, and with all that Warranty, is definitely a strong point.

I'm supposed to go look at a bunch of M-B's today, all included, save for the 63's. I'll see what I can gather.

S550 it might just have to be, I just think some of these Dealers are on the pipe with their pricing, but hey, at least this is one S-Class that is holding it's value less than catastrophically bad (last year it was catastrophically bad when you could get them for CHEAPER than you can now, as prices on those babies have gone way UP).
Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Er, correction. S550's with AMG PACKAGE are hard to find for what I feel is a "fair" price, as I'm finding enough non AMG Package examples going for a solid market value.

If I go S-Class, it's gotta have the AMG Package, or else it'll look like I'm driving a Hotel Limo. LOL.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know what your budget is, or your color preferences, etc., but there are quite a few S550 w/AMG package in the immediate area right now as private sales.

Not sure why you are only looking at dealer's cars, but why not private sales? They all still have the existing factory warranty. All you'd need to do is get a ppi done. I'd take it to the dealer, have them do the ppi and have them tell you if it's eligible for a CPO status. They'll tell what it would take to make it a CPO. Use that as your bargaining leverage with the seller and then later go and buy a ELW from MB Finance or Chrysler yourself. I'm guessing you'd come out ahead that way.

Plus you don't have to buy in the area. When I was buying performance cars (like hard to find Porsches, etc.) I'd have in my mind the exact car I wanted and then went looking for it. Interstate shipping is not that expensive. Look nationwide on eBay, Autotrader, Dupont Registry, etc..

http://tinyurl.com/2wskdj6

http://tinyurl.com/33y3tuj

http://tinyurl.com/37h9hgj

http://tinyurl.com/33wm6mw
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In regards to CPO it's really a gamble. In my case I was VERY happy i got CPO as my tranny went out at 47k miles (due to glycol) and it was fully covered. I think with the 06+ cars, I wouldn't worry as much.

In regards to current models and what not, I wouldn't buy ANY Benz that is before MY06, so stick with 06+. Even 06's make me iffy. Again, with the CLS, I'd try and avoid SBC (i still have never gotten used to the way it works, can't stand it). I drive our 02 CL500 around sometimes and love the brake feel. Have an 06 yukon xl denali, does are great too. My E, just can never get it right, idk why. Also, with base V8s, I'd shoot for a 550 instead of an older 500 (better engine, better performance, better mpg, etc etc). 63 won't have that UMPH as much as the 55 supercharged massive torque, but overall, it's probably a more solid engine/performer, and will outlast (na, less stress, and again newer design, etc etc).

I love the way the C63 looks, but I would rather get an E550 (that's just the way I am). Have never really been a C class fan.

If you DO want to go with a CPO car, try Beverly Hills Benz and ask for Evonne Ghoul. I bought my car from her, she was wonderful.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
CLS 550 or S550.

It seems as though the S550 is your first choice already, I always stick with what I really want. That is a really elegant and powerful choice. Now I am partial to the CLS, I would get a 550 or 63 and call it a day if you go that route.

I don't think you could go wrong with either honestly.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Okaay, so interesting turn of events today.

First off, delt with the BEST Salesman I ever have (SoCal, PM me if you want his name, etc.).

He said, "come in, we have everything that's on your list, drive them all, no pressure, and you'll have a one stop shop to take your notes".

So I went.

First off, sat in a NEW '09 E63 leftover, in Black, and WOW, beautiful car, made me really reconsider the E63 (although I'd get an '07). The INTERIOR and smell, alcantara beefy steering wheel, etc. Pure elegance and luxury.

Drove a CLS550, I just didn't get that "hot-rod" aspect out of it that I did the CLS55, and the Indium Grey (I think it was, like a dark copper), just didn't look too hot to me, just made the car look overly "feminine", and not feminine look that would turn me on.

Drove great, like the 211 more or less, and the 5.5 V8 really gets moving when you get on it, however, I just never drive that fast, so the power without that AMG brutal force, didn't really feel much different than a normal 3.5 V6 during my grandpa like foot force (aka, both motors have adequate low end Torque).

One thing about the CLS, as gorgeously designed as it is in so many ways, it just didn't feel "me", not even the interior, although it has a very premium feel, with a strong sense of occasion. I feel most of my issue with the CLS is the very small green-house, and large dash, just kind of makes me feel small and super low (although the car has a higher ground clearance than the W212 by a lot).

On to a CPO '10 E350 with Leather, P1, and Parktronic, White with the nice 5-Star wheels. I gotta admit, next to the W211, and CLS, and even S550, the car just commands my eye, and although it has a weak rear end, and some fussy areas, I'm shocked to say that my eyes have trained to it enough to enjoy the relatively complex, yet still conservative design, as "on" and "off" as it is in different aspects.

Immediately the more masculine "Sedan" proportions and driving position felt right at home to me, and the size is of course perfect for me (nothing new there). I actually now do like the very abrupt, "business", and "strong" looking interior, not very sensual or sexy, but very strong and makes you feel in command.

....And once again, the materials let me down. After sitting in the E63 and driving the CLS, feeling around the W212's interior proved that: 1- It is fitted and finished far better and more granite-like-built, yet 2- The materials are lousy in so many areas, hard plastic doors, the seat controls, etc. The lack of contrast with the ash wood gave it a somber and austere tone. Yet I still helplessly liked its strength over the CLS's prettier, and more elegant materials-based interior. The headliner is pretty weak, floormats are WAY cheaper than the W211's thick and luxurious offering, sunvisor is flimsy and cheap, the dash plastics are like the W204, hard, not "supple" and they attract dirt easily, dare I say it feels Rental Car-esque in some ways. Also, the real Leather in this car was CRAP, felt just like Vinyl, not luxurious feeling at all. Yet, so far, I can't help but feel drawn to this car, as what is a "fit" to me.

And to note, the W212 drives amazingly, like a bank vault with dialed in handling, yet comfortable and confident, yet I always knew this.

On to the W221, this one didn't have AMG Package and was Black, the worst combo for an S IMO, pure "Hotel Limo" car. Interior was great, and it drove beautifully and pulled hard when wailed on, also, it maneuvers supremely, and feel a lot smaller than it is when driving. Yet AGAIN, driving it, I felt kind of awkward, so much space, I felt like I needed to be chauffering someone. Also, next to the W212, although the W221 is still my favorite current M-B Sedan, it does look a liiiitle bit hit by the 212's similar, yet more sculpted design.

So I axed the CLS idea, and they didn't have a 221 I wanted, and I can't find an AMG Package W221 with less than a ton of miles for under $50-$55K. So I kind of feel like I don't want to spend that amount on one. Just out of my budget.

So naturally, we start talking numbers on the 5K Mileage E350. I tell the guy that this car, although I admit I like it a lot more after getting closer and closer with it, and uncovering its charm, I don't have that "I WANT IT" factor, so I won't really budge on what I feel its worth to me. Also, I tell him, if I go new E-Class, I want to Lease, I don't want to pay prices that were set for my "hearts" cars. If I Lease, I'm going to enjoy the worlds best engineered and safest car, and beat it to the ground, per-se, while getting my moneys worth.

I start looking at different examples, and just refuse to drive a Base/Commonly equipped car.

I find a White with Pano car, with P2 (Keyless, awesome Xenon's and LED's), Trunk Closer, Heated Seats, etc. Beautiful interior with the Black dash, headliner, etc. and cream colored seats. THIS interior combo to me is necessary to make the W212's interior look "rich", it's night and day from the all black IMO. At night I was STUNNED with the ambient lighting, never saw it in the flesh with this color combo, the way it lights up the cream bottom door inserts (the rest of the door is Black) is beautiful. Also, the screen, graphics, and materials really have a sharp and classy sheen to them when at night (the interior is obviously designed for night driving, as well, you can't notice some of the cheaper areas at night)

So we bargained for hours, and they kept throwing ridiculous Lease prices at me. I know someone locally who just got the same E350 P2 for $843 a month with $2K down, so I used it as a base price. Although just so high in my opinion. But this person said they shopped all over L.A, and got this, so....

We were going for $629 a month with $5K down on the BASE P1 model, this Pano P2 car I said I'd do for $659 a month, and agreed to pay $5500 down. They threw higher numbers initially, yet I finally got that deal. Still seems high for an E350 (although well equipped) to me, but I compared with some locals, and none seemed to have a better deal, and most got base base cars. MBUSA currently has a "Special" for a Base E350, for $699 a month, with almost $5K down, so it would seem I did pretty good.

So we locked the deal. I'm now gonna sell my Malibu, and enjoy the E-Class as my daily driver. I'm happy to start Leasing as I could see what all the fuss is about, and I don't mind keeping my cash in the Bank.

I loved the drive home in it, feels great and you can't beat the night ambiance, LOVE the xenon and LED's brightness. Also to note, the interior reading lights are LED and very sharp and bright, never noticed that before.

My Girlfriend saw it from the rear in my parking spot and cringed when she had to admit "I was gonna say, WHY DO YOU HAVE A RENTAL CAR!!!!" Because the rear looks so "cheap". WHY DID THEY HAVE TO FFFF UP THE REAR!!!! However, she said the front is the nicest she's ever seen on a car, so the Jekyll and Hyde W212 it is.

It's already a very different relationship than I had with my W211, but this time, I want to drive, and enjoy what I'm spending money on, especially since it's a "Rental" basically. I think my life will be a lot easier not stressing out about my "garage queen" staying pristine, yet I'm kind of saddened as I love to feel like I OWN and cherish/baby a car that is rarely driven, yet, as romantic as that sounds, it just never happens, and I end up losing money on a car I didn't experience enough.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the story, and please laugh away as the W212's biggest opponent NOW HAS ONE!!!! Hey, I always said, I'm so critical of this car because I knew I'd somehow possibly end up in one when the time came, and it came pretty soon. I am happy though, and did always say "the best daily driver in the world would be a W212", so I'm going to enjoy it as such.

Also, I keep thinking back to what 220S said, i.e, to cater to my true enthusiasts side, and although I truly am with this car as well, I think now that I am able to keep more cash than expected in the Bank, once I probably replace the Malibu, I'm thinking about getting a super cool, true Sporty car, something just fast and loud, and fun.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad you wrapped things up and got it done. Enjoy the new car. The fact that you leased makes the whole thing more palatable in case you decide to go another direction later on.

Were you at CalStar? If the leftover E63 you sat in had an Alcantara steering wheel, then it has the P030 performance package. I know someone who might want it. (p.s. those LED lights, including the reading lights, are on the 2009 E63s, too.)

Okay, next step is dump the Malibu and buy a CPO'd 997. Then you'll have a daily and something to play with, too.

p.s., better get the mods to close this thread before you get pummeled by the "I told you so" W212 owners..... oh, wait, you're one of those now!

Last edited by 220S; 05-28-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

LOLL, I indeed am gonna get pummeled by the 212 owners

.... which weirdly, I am now!! :eek

Yeah, I really feel like Leasing is my future for cars, it's just an odd feeling, I naturally want to coddle my car, take it out only when it's nice out/for enjoyment, etc. But I feel that this is a better "life's choice", and money choice (Leasing), although, I do think I would have lost less money had I gotten a CPO W212 and sold it in a few years. Oh well, I think the process is better for my psychological system. Although, I'm having a weird time right now in regards to "Is this truly MY car/do I take care of it? I like it, so I wanna baby it, but I'm Leasing it", etc. I dunno, I'll mature into a proper monthly Paying Leaser and it'll all make sense soon, lol.

Yeah, Malibu is pointless now, although it's so damn cheap and such a good car, I kind of want to keep it around. Kind of hoping a family member will pick it up.

I'm gonna want to get something fun to toy with, 997 would be SUPREME but I think it's a biiit out of the price range, lol.

I wonder how much Used W211 E55's are gonna be within the coming year.

Oh, and it was at Mercedes Of Long Beach. It's a SWEET Black E63, and looks and feel like brand new (I'm sure it's been sitting for a while). They seemed eager to wanna make a deal on that thing. Not sure if I should post my Salesmans name, but if you're friend wants to check it out I'll pass you my guy, honestly the best Salesman I've ever dealt with (he's brand new to Car Sales, so that's why), I've never really wanted to actually make a deal with a guy 'cause I felt he deserved it after putting up with me for a day, lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

P.S, I don't know if you've noticed, but most 212's have these CHEAP a$$ door handles, like what you'd expect on a Honda, all painted white where you see the indent area that's supposed to be chrome.

Unacceptable. I knew mine was "the one" after noticing the chrome on the handles thank to the Keyless Go, haha. Little things like those make such a difference on cars like Mercedes.

I'm just gonna tint the windows, and rear lights and amber corners like I did with my 350. Hopefully with that, it'll be somewhat different from the legions of housewives in theirs (damn you M-B for giving the AMG Package to everybody for free).

I really want a rear lip for it, as that back end is the only angle that I just think needs some mending. If anyone has good prices on aftermarket ones (don't wanna spend OEM money on a Lease, lol), let me know. I've seen White 212's with Pano and black "theme" and they look pretty wicked.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 AM

2009 c63, 2011 GT500
Once i took my c63 for service and they gave me white w212 E350 4matic for the weekend. I swear that its the most comfortable car i've ever driven and the interior is much better then my c63, its a very nice car. Congrats and enjoy it in good health.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Oh, and it was at Mercedes Of Long Beach. It's a SWEET Black E63, and looks and feel like brand new (I'm sure it's been sitting for a while). They seemed eager to wanna make a deal on that thing.
Hey, you're renting somebody else's car now. You don't even have to wash it. Ever. Or change the oil. No problemo.

Was the E63 new, as in untitled? Did they throw out a price? My friend couldn't find a new '09 with P030 anywhere. I wonder how he missed this one? I know there's a black one at CalStar and at WI Simonson (but not P030 apparently.) Did it have mileage on it (sales demo?)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on best buy: 212 E350 VS CLS55/CLS550 VS Used S550