E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

F10 vs W212 on Indian TV

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
F10 vs W212 on Indian TV

India's Car & Bike show reviewed the F10 and the W212 side by side. Enjoy...

http://www.tubaah.com/details.php?video_id=142048
Old 06-13-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Going to India, so I hope to see it from source
Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
That guy was pretty articulate and went into more depth than most car show videos.

In the end though, it's pretty much the same old story. The BMW is more the driver's car while the MB is more about the marque (and also used to be about the tank-like build quality and reliability just a couple of decades ago.)
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Nice find. Man, I dunno, when seeing those two cars together, the BMW's smoothness compared to the E's angularity kind of gives me a bad feeling.... In regards to the choice I've made.

I will say, I did see an F10 (in that exact same color combo), and wasn't too thrilled about it. Also, I think the W212 needs the AMG Pack.

Seems most people (aside from brand-loyalists) are looking at the 212 like they did the E60 before it, i.e as the more "Prestigious" looking out of the two (well, sane people wouldn't think the E60 looks more prestigious than a W211), more noticeable, presence, etc. I think it'll be the popular one out of the two. I just don't know how those hard lines will age compared to the simpler, and sure, more boring, BMW's.

After seeing the F10, I am convinced that I at least am more intrigued by my 212's looks, and so far, it's more "fun" to own. However, in this vid, my eyes were drawn to the sexier shape of the F10. To be honest. The rear comparo looked real sad for the 212 as well.

Naturally, as I allow myself to be more taken by the E's aggressive and very detailed/sculpted sheetmetal, I'll look for that more in other cars, and my tastes will acclimate to it more and more.

F10 will win all the Reviews, of course (although again, seems the M-B is getting more Review praise for its more outward design, which is a role reversal of sorts). Objectically, the BMW does about everything better it seems, and get this, even rated BETTER in the Euro NCAP Crash Test.

Which leaves the W212 as a car which will have to win most over by subjective styling and/or build preference (exterior and interior wise), and of course, BRAND. Not to mention, ride, however, seems BMW has invaded on M-B's territory by getting very serene and luxurious this time, while M-B has gotten a bit sportier.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A

F10 will win all the Reviews, of course (although again, seems the M-B is getting more Review praise for its more outward design, which is a role reversal of sorts). Objectically, the BMW does about everything better it seems, and get this, even rated BETTER in the Euro NCAP Crash Test.
So the tests are out already? This is good news as the test results (side impact) on the E60 was partly what kept me out of the M5. I figured BMW would address that with the F10.

Originally Posted by K-A
Which leaves the W212 as a car which will have to win most over by subjective styling and/or build preference (exterior and interior wise), and of course, BRAND. Not to mention, ride, however, seems BMW has invaded on M-B's territory by getting very serene and luxurious this time, while M-B has gotten a bit sportier.
Yeah, BMW's moving over to the comfort ride side of the fence is disturbing to me (K-A, you and I are looking for different things: your priority is looks and 'luxury feel" while mine is purely driving dynamics, i.e., driver's input and handling.) I'm a bit miffed that the F10 went to electric power steering (i.e., computer controlled.) Also the active drive with variable assist (although it's an option.)

But my test drive with the 550i and sport package made me realize that the "ultimate driving machine toss it into the corners even though it's a big sedan" feeling is still there. And the M5 will be even crisper and sharper. So it's still maybe the M5 or at least the 550i with M package and ZSP as the choice for a true sports sedan, imho. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by 220S
So the tests are out already? This is good news as the test results (side impact) on the E60 was partly what kept me out of the M5. I figured BMW would address that with the F10.

Yeah, BMW's moving over to the comfort ride side of the fence is disturbing to me (K-A, you and I are looking for different things: your priority is looks and 'luxury feel" while mine is purely driving dynamics, i.e., driver's input and handling.) I'm a bit miffed that the F10 went to electric power steering (i.e., computer controlled.) Also the active drive with variable assist (although it's an option.)

But my test drive with the 550i and sport package made me realize that the "ultimate driving machine toss it into the corners even though it's a big sedan" feeling is still there. And the M5 will be even crisper and sharper. So it's still maybe the M5 or at least the 550i with M package and ZSP as the choice for a true sports sedan, imho. We'll have to wait and see.
Yeah, I think the BMW's "move" will cater to me more, however, being a BMW, I know they won't sacrifice the bottom line: Performance, and that is still only a plus for me.

Yeah, NCAP Tests are out, BMW did absolutely phenominal.... As the W212 did as well.... Which just goes to show how well the Bimmers numbers are.

I think it got 9somrthing % compared to the E's 80something%.

However, M-B has never gotten great "Stats" in that dept, but have always proved to be the most real-world saving (even the W210 and W211 were the most life-saving passenger Sedans, and neither had great scores). And the 212 is far and away the safest (and literally most "Tank-Like", if you see the IIHS's pictures) Benz to come out yet. BMW obviously wanted to prove a point, and designed the F10 to pass Standardized Tests with flying colors. Still, it's scores are probably some of the best of all time, and it proves that BMW extensively designed a safe car, and used incredibly high strength forms of steel.

Just looking at how HUGE (and ugly) those B-Pillars are from the inside, shows that they practically cover you with an ultra high strength steel wall from the side.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
BMW always have high safety measures and they are well built, E34 525i saved my life in a horrible accident and guess what, I drove back home... by the way, MB has 2 cars E & C in IIHS top safety vehicle for this year... BMW has none...

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Last edited by ash_cpe; 06-15-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by ash_cpe
BMW always have high safety measures and they are well built, E34 525i saved my life in a horrible accident and guess what, I drove back home... by the way, MB has 2 cars E & C in IIHS top safety vehicle for this year... BMW has none...

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
There was a fairly famous crash that went around the internet involving a Hungarian fellow named Balazs and his M5 Touring in Germany. It was a weird kinda freakish accident. Small puncture turned into a massive blow out. The point of the story is that both Balazs, his wife and their 7 month old daughter walked away from the wreck without a scratch. A true testament to the safety of a BMW which in my mind has caught up to Benz in that respect. You can check out Balazs's accident here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...5-touring.html

My only reservations about BMW is their reliability. A few people in my family have current generation BMWs and everything from fuel pumps failing to TPMS sensors going crazy when it gets cold to rattles and squeaks are happening on a "luxury sedan" are not acceptable in my book. This is my 6th or 7th Benz and to be honest beside a broken wind shield and a flat tire I've never had a problem or a complaint about the build quality of the car. It never left me stranded anywhere and it never gave even a hint of hesitation when starting it up in the extreme cold or heat. My past BMWs had a few electronic gremlins but mechanically they were pretty good for the most part although they did have some thirst for oil. It seems that older BMWs were more well put together and less finicky then the current generation ones. I'd be interested to see how the F10 does in the long run before deciding to get one.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
A true testament to the safety of a BMW which in my mind has caught up to Benz in that respect.
Wasn't that accident more about luck than about driving a safe car? I mean he didn't hit anything major. It's not speed that kills, it's when you stop very fast...
Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ipp
Wasn't that accident more about luck than about driving a safe car? I mean he didn't hit anything major. It's not speed that kills, it's when you stop very fast...
For this particular accident it is very true what you said. I was talking about BMWs more in general. It's like sky diving; its not the fall from the plane that will kill you but the sudden stop at the end
Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
There was a fairly famous crash that went around the internet involving a Hungarian fellow named Balazs and his M5 Touring in Germany. It was a weird kinda freakish accident. Small puncture turned into a massive blow out. The point of the story is that both Balazs, his wife and their 7 month old daughter walked away from the wreck without a scratch. A true testament to the safety of a BMW which in my mind has caught up to Benz in that respect. You can check out Balazs's accident here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...5-touring.html

My only reservations about BMW is their reliability. A few people in my family have current generation BMWs and everything from fuel pumps failing to TPMS sensors going crazy when it gets cold to rattles and squeaks are happening on a "luxury sedan" are not acceptable in my book. This is my 6th or 7th Benz and to be honest beside a broken wind shield and a flat tire I've never had a problem or a complaint about the build quality of the car. It never left me stranded anywhere and it never gave even a hint of hesitation when starting it up in the extreme cold or heat. My past BMWs had a few electronic gremlins but mechanically they were pretty good for the most part although they did have some thirst for oil. It seems that older BMWs were more well put together and less finicky then the current generation ones. I'd be interested to see how the F10 does in the long run before deciding to get one.
Exactly, my family and I haven't had any good experience with BMW reliability and I think not a lot of techs know a lot about them unfortunately. And I think they lose style after a while, unlike Benz and Porsche... On the other hand we own Benzes since the stroke 8 and we have 1982 280e that has more than a 1000000 miles on it now. And we had W124 E 220 Sportline that was a great car on it's own and we sold last year, and we were just changing fluids, tires and brakes... That's it...
Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, this is what helped keep me out of the M5 last time around. I'm glad to hear the F10 is much improved....

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=831

And the seats in the 3 series are miserable failures (I own an E46 330i.)

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...aints.aspx?bmw
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by 220S

And the seats in the 3 series are miserable failures (I own an E46 330i.)

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...aints.aspx?bmw
3 Series seats from 2009 on are rated as "Good".
Where's the "miserable failure" in that ?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's right, not until 2009. That was last year.

btw, compare those ratings with some other makes. BMW fails miserably. Yes, they still promote those cars as CPOs on the dealer's lots.

The issue is that sure current BMWs, like all modern cars, are safer. But BMW never really played the safety hand like Volvo, Saab, and MB. And the ratings do reflect that.

And yes, I'm a long time BMW owner and like the cars immensely, but I'm not a fanboi of any specific brand; each has its particular faults.....