E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

is 2010 e550 4matic, 5spd or 7spd?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Audi S4
is 2010 e550 4matic, 5spd or 7spd?

I'm planning to replace my 2005 Audi S4 with a W212 E550 sedan. I've already gleaned numerous insights from the community posts here, so first a thanks to you all. (I'm still debating panorama roof or not)

One issue which I could use a conclusive answer on is whether the W212 4matic comes with the same 7spd transmission as the RWD or if it comes with the 5spd transmission.

Update: YYZ-E55 says "All non-AMG 212s that land on the shores of North America have the 7G-TRONIC, regardless of drivetrain."

It looks like they have been using the 7 speed in the 4matic on larger cars for a while, such as the ML. It seems clear that the earlier 4matic models (including w211) were 5speed. The MB website for the W212 only lists the 7spd transmission, and many listings I've read specifically list a 7spd on the W212 4matic. However, to confuse the issue, some dealer inventory websites show W212 cars with the 5speed. One of them must be a clerical error.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...00-4matic.html

For background, I'm debating AWD vs RWD, mostly because RWD cars are much more available in dealer inventory. I live in San Francisco, and despite the lack of snow, our winter season brings a fair amount of rain. My last two cars were an AWD Subaru and an AWD Audi, and I've appreciated the traction. That said, I rarely drive to the Tahoe snow and we have an AWD SUV I could take if that was an issue. It's more an issue of preference. Cars have 4 wheel breaks, why not build them all with AWD? The cost of the feature is not important to me. The dealer is happy to special order me one however I like, and just mentioned that there are few 4matic in inventory anywhere.

For the curious, my current plan is:

- E550 (probably 4 matic), Iridium Silver
- Black interior w/ Walnut - i prefer a little natural color wood
- Premium 02, Sport Package - bi-xenon all the way
- Parktronic
- NO distronic radar (don't need and i don't like the look of the radar unit, apparently 2011 models can get lane and blind-spot features without the radar)
- ?? panorama ?? - i like the exterior contrast on the white/sliver cars, but I always keep the blind closed on my current sunroof to avoid sun glare while driving. It'll be rare that I have passengers who can appreciate the rear seat benefits. Some of the panorama creak/noise stories have me worried, as I'd notice that much more than the benefits and I tend to keep my cars for 5-6 years.

Last edited by jeskeca; 06-19-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:37 PM

E-Class
Originally Posted by jeskeca
For the curious, my current plan is:

- E550 (probably 4 matic), Iridium Silver
- Black interior w/ Walnut - i prefer a little natural color wood
- Premium 02, Sport Package - bi-xenon all the way
- Parktronic
- NO distronic radar (don't need and i don't like the look of the radar unit, apparently 2011 models can get lane and blind-spot features without the radar)
I do not want to be the bearer of bad news but Black leather interior is not order-able with walnut wood trim and sport package in Navistar.Black Leather interior and sport package requires back ash wood. Black Leather and walnut trim is only available with luxury trim. The only sports package interior offered with a burl walnut trim are the 2 tone leathers.

As far as 2011 order guide according to Navistar unless they are planning to make the change at some point in the future, currently the only way to get blind spot assist and lane keeping assist is by ordering driver assistance package.

So I hope I did not ruin your weekend as your car is unbuildable currently in Navistar. And Navistar only has 2011 orders at this point.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
One issue which I could use a conclusive answer on is whether the W212 4matic comes with the same 7spd transmission as the RWD or if it comes with the 5spd transmission.
All non-AMG 212s that land on the shores of North America have the 7G-TRONIC, regardless of drivetrain.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:20 PM

E550 4Matic 2011
Actually you can get burl walnut trim with any sport interior. While the configurator on the MBUSA web site does not allow the combo - I've seen new E550s on lot with black interior, sport package and burl walnut. If you have your dealer order it that way you can get it or you may be able to find one on the lot.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Jes-
Go 4MATIC. No brianer. Used to live in SF, now Philly...gotta go all wheel drive regardless. Enjoy!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:27 PM

E-Class
Originally Posted by dr k
Actually you can get burl walnut trim with any sport interior. While the configurator on the MBUSA web site does not allow the combo - I've seen new E550s on lot with black interior, sport package and burl walnut. If you have your dealer order it that way you can get it or you may be able to find one on the lot.
It is not allowed in Navistar(MB order system)currently. So if it was allowed before on 2010 model year for 2011 it is no longer an options.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:38 PM

2005 Audi S4
Originally Posted by cyberjak
I do not want to be the bearer of bad news but Black leather interior is not order-able with walnut wood trim and sport package in Navistar.Black Leather interior and sport package requires back ash wood. Black Leather and walnut trim is only available with luxury trim. The only sports package interior offered with a burl walnut trim are the 2 tone leathers.
Thanks, that's helpful to know. That explains why the two cars I drove had the Black/Ash even though plenty of other models I've seen have the walnut. I'll have to consider this. I found the black-on-black overly dark and monotone.

What non-black interiors are people really happy with?

With a silver exterior maybe Ash/Ash is the best bet for bringing the cabin some non-black. The two almond options look nice but would probably go better with white or black exterior.

Originally Posted by cyberjak
As far as 2011 order guide according to Navistar unless they are planning to make the change at some point in the future, currently the only way to get blind spot assist and lane keeping assist is by ordering driver assistance package.
Yes, and AFAIK the 2011 driver assistance package dropped the radar. In 2011 there is supposed to be an "advanced driver assistance package" that has the same features as the 2010 distronic driver assistance package. I read this all in a semi-official looking change bulletin for 2011 that I can't seem to find. I did find this thread talking about it. Either way, my primary goal is avoid the radar unit on the grill for aesthetic reasons. I don't need any of those features. In fact, I really like the styling of the 2-slat grille so I may try out an aftermarket 55tech grill.

Last edited by jeskeca; 06-19-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:01 PM

E-Class
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, You are located in the USA? If not all the info I have been giving you may not be correct as I am in the USA. In Canada and outside of the USA the way E-Class and options are packaged are completely different.

For example in Canada I know all E-Class coupes come standard with Amg body kit but in the USA only 550 coupe have AMG body kit. So their are difference in how cars are packaged in every country.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 PM

2005 Audi S4
Yes, I'm in the USA. In San Francisco, California.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 PM

E-Class
Yes, I'm in the USA. In San Francisco, California.
Btw the link you linked talking about the so called "advanced driver assistance package" is from a poster in Canada. Like I said the options offered vary by country while in Canada they might offer 2 different packages like you stated in the USA according to Navistar their is still only 1 package and it is called "driver assistance package" code number 997.

Another examples of difference between countries is for example in most European countries they offer the following interior trims which are not offered in the USA at all 739 brushed aluminum, H13 Brown Pine, H21 Black Piano Lacquer, H19 Carbon Fiber. In the USA they only offer 731 Burl Walnut and 736 Black Ash. Another example of differences between countries is availability of Napa Leather which is available in Europe as an option but not in USA on Sedans at all, and is available on any coupe in USA but only on E550 in Canada. Even more example of differences between countries is in Europe parking assistant is included in the premium package on all E-Class models and back camera is an options ala cart.

I have no idea why MBUSA refuses to allow special order's of the other inside trim options which are offered in Europe but MBUSA decides what options are offered and how they are offered and what is standard on each model.

So when reading this board you need to pay very close attention to where the posters are located as that may effect the availability of certain options or packages or what is included in a package.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550
I can confirm that it is indeed possible to order a Black E550 with Black leather interrior with burl walnut trim WITH the sport package (becasue I have one)... Oh, and yes, it is an American Spec. I will say that the MBUSA web site did try to tell me this is not possible, but I put the order in with my dealer and there were no questions. I personally do not like the Ash trim with black interior because it makes everything look like plastic. If your dealer says the combo is not possible in CA, they are full of it.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, for the record I've seen a ton of Walnut/All Black interiors. U.S Spec.