E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Airmatic Suspension Malfunction or Normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 4-Matic Sport, Iridium Silver over Black, P2, Pano, Multicontour, PDC
Airmatic Suspension Malfunction or Normal?

I have 2010 E550 4matic Sport with just under 4k miles.
Recently, I've noticed that I occasionally cannot change the Airmatic Suspension comfort/sport setting. For example, on the way home from a meeting this evening I noticed the setting was on sport and would not go into comfort setting while moving, at a stop light (in either Drive or Park) or even when I finally got to my own driveway and had switched the ignition off/opened door/closed door/restarted car.
Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Sounds to me like a bad switch, or have you tried to "clean" it with Coca Cola? Or an issue with CAN bus messaging, I noticed a lot of lost CAN-bus messages on mine before a SW update. You should have it diagnosed.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the reply.
No misadventures with liquid consumables.
I'm also assuming its a hardware/software issue but just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and if so was there a simple (non-dealer) solution.

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Sounds to me like a bad switch, or have you tried to "clean" it with Coca Cola? Or an issue with CAN bus messaging, I noticed a lot of lost CAN-bus messages on mine before a SW update. You should have it diagnosed.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 AM
DHI

'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
Mine works on demand, anytime.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM

2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
no issues with mine like that. once or twice in 7 mos of ownership ive come out to find one of the corners really low (like the bladder deflated)...but charged back up right away when I started off.

Have you had it checked out yet?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mg-E550
no issues with mine like that. once or twice in 7 mos of ownership ive come out to find one of the corners really low (like the bladder deflated)...but charged back up right away when I started off.

Have you had it checked out yet?
Going in for tire rotation and suspension button check in 12 days. I'll post follow up then.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM

Just back from service today. Here's the scoop:

1. C/S suspension setting problem eventually became constant and was "stuck" in sport mode. Technician found a fault code in the R front suspension and located a loose sensor wire which was fixed under warranty of course.

2. The AC fan started dying on me about a week ago on hot days (of course). It was traced to faulty AC fan regulator which was also replaced under warranty.

3. Changed oil and filter for $89.

4. Rotated tires - 1st time FREE under warranty!

Not feeling that good about overall reliability at this point. Let's hope the electrical gremlins are gone for good.

Originally Posted by madraddoc
Recently, I've noticed that I occasionally cannot change the Airmatic Suspension comfort/sport setting. For example, on the way home from a meeting this evening I noticed the setting was on sport and would not go into comfort setting while moving, at a stop light (in either Drive or Park) or even when I finally got to my own driveway and had switched the ignition off/opened door/closed door/restarted car.
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 AM

2010 E 550 Sedan 4matic
Originally Posted by madraddoc
Thanks.
I had the exact same problem where it would often get stuck in sport and not switch back. This is NOT normal and in my case ended up being due to a problem with struts (which in my case showed up in the first 1000 miles). The error code which disabled the switch was fixed after one of my struts was replaced by the dealer (cost would have been somewhere around 1500 but was covered by warranty).
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by vapers
I had the exact same problem where it would often get stuck in sport and not switch back. This is NOT normal and in my case ended up being due to a problem with struts (which in my case showed up in the first 1000 miles). The error code which disabled the switch was fixed after one of my struts was replaced by the dealer (cost would have been somewhere around 1500 but was covered by warranty).
This was more serious (by cost) than the other case. Sounds like a bad additional volume valve, I guess a malfunction in the shocks valve would not force the car to S-mode.