E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sharp grinding sound with vibration on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
Sharp grinding sound with vibration on steering wheel

I feel sharp grinding sound with little vibration on steering wheel when A/C is on and at around 1800 rpm. This is only happening at this rpm. I did go to local dealer, the advisor said it is normal. For me, for last 5 mercedes I had, never had this problem. I checked the new demo car, it had similar vibration but not as much as mine. Mine felt more sharp grinding. The advisor said it is vibration coming from A/C compressor and when it gets load, it vibrate. And this is normal. This is certainly uncomfortable. I made appointment with different dealer where I have good friend of mine works.

Does anybody have this problem?
by the way, when I turn off the A/C, it goes away. so it is A/C related.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM

2010 E350
Does it go away after driving few miles?
I got E350 4matic and temp here around 80 to 90... I think my car has the same thing, when I start it I can hear that humming noise while the AC is on for the first few miles then it goes away... I am planning to mention that to my advisor on my next maintenance... Please let me know what the other dealer says?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM

It goes away after few miles because A/C compressor does not have to work hard as much as beinging. For example, when I lower the fan speed and higher temp, then compressor is not working as hard, then it goes away. So probably you are experiencing situation when A/C is working hard at first time to cool the inside, then slow down after it cools little bit.

I am going tommorow. I will let you know the outcome. I just hope they can fix the problem.
If there are alot of people complain, then MBUSA will have bulleten to fix this. Since it is first year car and first summer, for many owners, I think we might have to wait to have solution for this.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 AM

2010 E350
Please let me know, it looks like not a lot people are having this issue on this forum... Good luck tomorrow!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 AM

well,, I droped my car today. I talked with Shop foreman and advisor(one of my friend),
They all felt the noise and vibration, the foreman said that the engine mount could be too tightly assembled in one position and that could make that vibration transfered to steering wheel. If that is not the case, then it could be A/C compressor or one of the pully that is connected to A/C compressor. I got the loaner and he said that give him couple days to find out what is wrong with it. I will let you know when I get the car back.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:32 PM

2010 E350
Let me know please because I am having some worries about mine and regretting the fact that I got it early production....
Old 07-02-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by ash_cpe
Let me know please because I am having some worries about mine and regretting the fact that I got it early production....
New owners of new models always have to be the guinea pigs out in the real world. The cars on the road right now are too young. But don't worry, any issues will be addressed over time.

But the main thing is not to worry about it and regret anything. That will just make you go crazy. It's like worrying about every little ache in your body making you think you have some rare disease or something.

You have a warranty, the car will be okay. Just drive it and don't think about it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 PM

2010 E350
Thanks 220S, I just hate taking it to dealer's since most of them here don't care about the car... 4 example, I always tell them not to wash it and they ended up washing it and last time I took it there, they carved my car's front wheel in the car wash, also they forgot to put the interior door panel when I had the door handle issue in the winter, plus they literally fly on speed bumps when they drive it...
Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ash_cpe
Thanks 220S, I just hate taking it to dealer's since most of them here don't care about the car... 4 example, I always tell them not to wash it and they ended up washing it and last time I took it there, they carved my car's front wheel in the car wash, also they forgot to put the interior door panel when I had the door handle issue in the winter, plus they literally fly on speed bumps when they drive it...
I understand what you are experiencing. That is why I always to back to dealer where I know the advisor and tech. Even I can go to local dealer just 5 min, I rather drive 45 min to dealer that I can trust. Of course it takes time to build relationship with people in dealer. From my experience, in NYC area,
BMW dealers are worst. I have been 5 dealers that don't care the customer.
Mercedes is about 8 out of 10. Lexus is about 9 out of 10. so you see why Lexus is doing fine with their accel. problem. But in German brand, mercedes is the best so far from my experience.

One thing that I can tell you if the dealer don't listen.

1. Ask the girl at the front and say you want to talk to service manager.

2. Tell SM what you don't like about.
Tell him that you want to have different advisor if you don't like him

3. IF SM don't listen you, then if it is dealer you bought the car, talk to General manager in sales. Tell him what you don't like in service. Tell him that because of the service, you will not buy any more mercedes from them and let your friends and others know about this. Most of time if you get up to this point you get what you want.

4. If SM, GM or anybody in that dealership don't listen. Then contact MBUSA.
Complain the story what you had. Tell them SM GM and nobody listen in this dealer.

I am sure you will get alot of attention if you go up to 4 and when you appear at that dealer, advisor will pay more attention to you.

For me, I never went to step 4 with mercedes, but did with BMW. After step4,
I did get the BMW 5 series loaner everytime even though I did not bought the car from that dealership. Once a while, SM offered me free detailing and ask me how I was satisfied with service. See the point? hehe
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 PM

2011 E350 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by newyorker
It goes away after few miles because A/C compressor does not have to work hard as much as beinging. For example, when I lower the fan speed and higher temp, then compressor is not working as hard, then it goes away. So probably you are experiencing situation when A/C is working hard at first time to cool the inside, then slow down after it cools little bit.

I am going tommorow. I will let you know the outcome. I just hope they can fix the problem.
If there are alot of people complain, then MBUSA will have bulleten to fix this. Since it is first year car and first summer, for many owners, I think we might have to wait to have solution for this.
I'm having the same issue with mine, i'm new to Mercedes but never had this issue with my BMW or Audi's. Did they ever find a solution to your problem?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
I had this issue too. Bought my car in Dec 2010, and it started doing it when the weather got hot. Shook the steering wheel and the brake pedal pretty hard, especially when stopped at a stop light with the car in gear. I was told it was normal. Eventually it mostly went away -- I still feel it a tiny bit, but nothing like before.

I wonder if it's just one of those things that need to break in?