E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

how many know more than the dealer that sold it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
how many know more than the dealer that sold it?

With all of these folks on here that know gobs of info, and especially
with the web, who thinks.....or who KNOWS they know more about the car than the guy that sold it to you?
I have learned more here than from the dealer by a long shot.......and I ask a lot of questions too.........
this is a great source; glad it's here..

rock on
Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
I did... or actually I should say that the dealer and I PROBABLY knew the same things (more or less), but the dealer always likes to play "dumb" when it's to their advantage!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I did, so dealer refused give an introduction to the car at delivery. He confessed, I knew more than he. But I can understand, more shame is sales person who sells you computer or washer, can't tell more than stated on tag. I visited many countries, and believe me situation is the same everywhere. Worst thing when you visit a doctor and (s)he has no idea.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
I'm a R.E broker so I know what you mean. A passionate sales person will want and research everything there is to know about the product.
A greedy selfish sales person is too busy focusing on the commission and thus does not know anything about the product.

My sales guy did not know the differences between 2010 vs 2011 models. And there's not a whole lot to know. I also waived the instructional session.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
The dealer that sold me my C Class actually knew a fair amount. He wasn't a complete idiot. I still probably knew more, though I was new to Mercedes. He wasn't bad in that respect though at all, his deal sucked though. He changed professions before I needed another car.

To buy my SLK, I dealt with four dealers I believe and five salesman trying to find one and get a good deal. All of these people knew *nothing* about the SLK or any Mercedes for that matter. They made up complete nonsense. Honestly, someone off the street would have known more. On one SLK I looked at, the top wouldn't go down, so the sales lady drove it around the dealership for ten minutes thinking it needed to "charge up." I couldn't stop laughing.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
A passionate sales person will want and research everything there is to know about the product.
A greedy selfish sales person is too busy focusing on the commission and thus does not know anything about the product.

HTN75

exactly! this is part of it......but I might be able to understand, it must be sketchy to only be paid by comission.......I have to KNOW my paycheck will be there....lol

thanx for the good comment
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
MB salesman best

I shopped Audi, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln and Genesis.
Only the Acura and MB salesmen knew more about their cars than I did. Was really shocking. The MB salesman was the most knowledegable. It was really helpful when he demonstrated the COMAND audio and navigation systems.
Best aspect was that MB salesman did not bug me about buying a car. He was available and spent as much time with me as I wanted. Actually Lexus guy didn't either, but then he didn't really seem to care if I bought one or not.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by El Cid
I shopped Audi, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln and Genesis.
Only the Acura and MB salesmen knew more about their cars than I did. Was really shocking. The MB salesman was the most knowledgeable. It was really helpful when he demonstrated the COMAND audio and navigation systems.
Best aspect was that MB salesman did not bug me about buying a car. He was available and spent as much time with me as I wanted. Actually Lexus guy didn't either, but then he didn't really seem to care if I bought one or not.
I got that sense too, couldn't really care if I was going to buy or not....
and that's not to say the guy didn't have some cool random things about MB, it's just that most of my questions were answered with a blank stare or simply an 'I don't know'......kind of frustrating when you're willing to spend 70K and the guy is like "well...........er.............uh..........I guess that might be possible".........

thanx for the post
Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Cool To be clear

Just to make sure I am clear.
By not bugging me, I meant the MB salesman was not e-mailing me or calling me daily or 4 or 5 times per week trying to get me to buy a car. He left it to me to contact him and then he responded promptly. Spent as much time with me as I wanted. He even borrowed an E350 Luxury version from a customer for me to test drive as they did not have that model in stock (very few dealers do).
The MB salesman knew everything about every car MB sold. Far more than I did and I had done extensive research and talked with people on the E350 sedan.
It was impressive the way he could whiz through the Nav and Audio on COMAND on a 2010 model. After 10 months, I'm still learning how to do it.
Still stay in touch with him and that is a first for any car salesman in my experience.

Last edited by El Cid; 09-10-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more clarification
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It is interesting. Most luxury makes salesmen do not bug about car. Only mainstreamer stay in position you can’t leave dealership without a car. Unfortunately my MB dealer acts like a mainstreamer and fights for selling me a car or die.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
...24 GLE53
El Cid's salesman is the guy we all would like to be dealing with. These are the guys that are professionals and have a strong repeat customer base.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Very FAST!
The best dealer (salesman experience) that I have ever had (and I have owned quite a few luxury cars ) was when we purchased a BMW 530i. This guy knew the car in and out and the history behind that specific model. I thought he was feeding me BS, but after research, I found that he indeed knew his stuff. I was thus very impressed, so to date I have purchased 2 Bimmers and 1 H2 from this guy. The guy that sold me the C300 and the E350, didn't know squat...thus I refused to listen to him ramble about what the sticker on the window said. Just my experience.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
The best dealer (salesman experience) that I have ever had (and I have owned quite a few luxury cars ) was when we purchased a BMW 530i. This guy knew the car in and out and the history behind that specific model. I thought he was feeding me BS, but after research, I found that he indeed knew his stuff. I was thus very impressed, so to date I have purchased 2 Bimmers and 1 H2 from this guy. The guy that sold me the C300 and the E350, didn't know squat...thus I refused to listen to him ramble about what the sticker on the window said. Just my experience.
right on man, glad someone has some good sales folks........
If I sold cars I would be sure to know everything I could about them
I'd keep going back to a good salesman too, kind of like when you need a good mechanic........you find one, you stick with 'em........
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM

w212 e350
That's why I have gone to the Internet-exclusive route for car purchases. Sales personnel are usually absolutely clueless about their product, their attitudes are either annoyingly blase or irritatingly aggressive. I just work two or three Internet managers against each other and wait until one of them goes ninja on the other two and closes the deal with an unbelievable number.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by doctordel
That's why I have gone to the Internet-exclusive route for car purchases. Sales personnel are usually absolutely clueless about their product, their attitudes are either annoyingly blase or irritatingly aggressive. I just work two or three Internet managers against each other and wait until one of them goes ninja on the other two and closes the deal with an unbelievable number.
Don't you find many dealers don't even reply to emails though? That happens to me.

The ones that do, VERY RARELY want to give you numbers in email. They just waste time, "I can give you numbers later when you come in, etc."
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM

E350
I can deal with "I don't know" or "I'll check that for you." What I hate is when they make a statement that is untrue, either to hide their ignorance or to make a sale. Like, "They'll never introduce that on this model." shortly before they do (Blind Spot Assist on E Coupe). Or "Silver and the options you want will be a waste of money come resale . . . unlike the green, poverty spec model we have available right now." How about "They wouldn't go exclusively to run-flats if they didn't ride and handle at least as well as regular tires." (BMW Z4).

I was once told by a salesman that a car right there in his showroom did not have a space-saver tire. When he started showing me around and got to the trunk floor, the speed he raised and lowered it would have got him a role in a '70 Kung Fu movie!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E-350W4
Our salesman, my wife's cousin sold us the car, didn't try to dazzle with brilliance or baffle with BS. Said I owned enough of them to be a salesman. Handed me the keys, gave the cursory walk around and so long , good luck. No pressure, total professionalism from all parties that I dealt with, from finance to service to General Manager. A real pleasure to purchase a car from them, not to mention the great deal.