Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Talking oh dealer PLEASE!!!

Hi MB heads.

I'm going to order some roof rack stuff: the parts lady said the shop guy said it would take TWO hours worth of labor to 'install' roof racks!!!!!!!!
AND cost 214.00 in labor......
I told her that something sounded VERY wrong with that and that I'd just skip it altogether........
I'm still planning on getting them, but I am confident I can install them on my own, the lady said " but you'll need a ladder and someone to help you"
and I'm thinking, geez.......those are some hefty challenges I have there....I mean, where am I going to find a ladder and a freind to help?????

I have not even received my car yet and they're trying to screw me over every way they can? A 600 bux for a car seat?? I think Trump would even have a problem with that........

happy motoring
Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
l.o.l
Old 10-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Hi MB heads.

I'm going to order some roof rack stuff: the parts lady said the shop guy said it would take TWO hours worth of labor to 'install' roof racks!!!!!!!!
I told her that something sounded VERY wrong with that and that I'd just skip it altogether........
I'm still planning on getting them, but I am confident I can install them on my own, the lady said " but you'll need a ladder and someone to help you"
and I'm thinking, geez.......those are some hefty challenges I have there....I mean, where am I going to find a ladder and a freind to help?????

I have not even received my car yet and they're trying to screw me over every way they can? A 600 bux for a car seat?? I think Trump would even have a problem with that........

happy motoring
That is crazy. "Oh yea, every time time I wanna put on or off my rack after a trip...I'll just go down to the shop drop $200.00 and have somebody else do 5 minutes of work".

I asked to get a quote to replace my grill. They said "At least 1 hour at the minimum...maybe longer". It took me 15 minutes and I didnt have to leave my driveway.

They build a great car...you just have to do the aftermarket stuff yourself. Good luck...happy travels.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
most dealers suck major *****
Old 10-02-2010, 11:09 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
That is crazy. "Oh yea, every time time I wanna put on or off my rack after a trip...I'll just go down to the shop drop $200.00 and have somebody else do 5 minutes of work".

I asked to get a quote to replace my grill. They said "At least 1 hour at the minimum...maybe longer". It took me 15 minutes and I didnt have to leave my driveway.

They build a great car...you just have to do the aftermarket stuff yourself. Good luck...happy travels.
exactly!

and yes, most of them DO have some ***** in their mouths.....it's ridiculous....it's like going out ot eat and having to pay extra for a meal....
"oh.....you want some soup??? the soup is 3 bux, .50 cents to warm the soup, and if you want it a little spicy that will be an extra .50 cents.....oh, and by the way....(after your soup is already there) the spoon will be an extra 2.50.....and please don't forget to tip your server"............

Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
One must be on the look out for them dealers. They will take you for everything when not careful. My dealer down in Florida charges $400 for Service A just as an example of how crazy it can get. One time for the hell of it I called the dealer to get a quote on a new alternator on my W203. Almost $800. My indi shop did everything for HALF the price.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Here we go again...I love how time after time people knock the dealer, while some of them deserve it, there is a lot more to understand here.

Hi MB heads.

Is two hours excessive, absolutely, but do you expect the tech doing the work for a lazy customer to put them on for free...NO. Do you have a firm understanding of how a technicians gets paid? Do you have a family to feed? When people come into your place of work and ask for a service (no matter how simple the task may be) do you do it for free? It's a business get over it! State your argument to the dealer of how 2 hours is quite high to do a job that should probably cost no more than a quarter of that.

In the US, most techs get paid by producing time, once time is lost it can't be made up. A tech may work 40 hours a week, but may get paid for 50 on a good week, or 30 on a bad week. If a tech is doing nothing but putting roof racks on for free (which takes time that can't be made up) then he'll have a ****ty paycheck, and a ****tty attitude...no one likes working for free.

Originally Posted by lyjw88
So do most customers! Especially the ones who are too lazy to read there owners manual.

I'm sure this will erupt into a flame fest, but whatever. I just get sick of hearing the same old crying game about dealers. I'm an avid motorcyclist and am on many motorcycle related forums, and guys never constantly cry about dealers. Instead it's all about the love for the brands, tech help, performance and so on
Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 394 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Hi MB heads.

happy motoring
Dealers have to cover fixed costs and liability insurance. I would think that 2 hours is excessive, but one hour of labor the FIRST time might be appropriate if it also included the assembly of the racks to the fixed mounting points on the roof. I've seen pictures of the Thule rack for the E-class and there are a number of initial adjustments that one has to make when first fittling to the car. Maybe I'm incorrect on my assumption, but it looked a bit involved. The racks are easy to remove and attach after the initial setup.

I'm not sure about the "car seat", but my understanding is that it incorporates the "Baby Smart" system to disable the airbag(s) in the front seat. That might be adding to its cost.
YMMV
Old 10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
MBtech1098: I understand what you're saying completely. It is a business to make money...but come on.....those are strange prices, and yes, I could have challenged it, and in a way I am because I am opting out of their offer to do it for me(lazycustomer).
When I asked the woman about the racks and stuff, (I didn't really elaborate on this part), this was part of what she said

" Even though our basic carriers come w/ instructions....they're not really user friendly. Just a thought. "

and yes, I thought two hours was excessive too, as well as the money. But I feel very competent about installing these myself; I'd also accept any pro's or con's about doing so.......
YES, I have a family to feed, and yes I understand (according to the explanation you provided) about how a tech gets paid, but I also know that they can always go out and find more work if they need more income, they don't have to gouge first time buyers like me and others who are not first time buyers......what kind of way is that to start a business relationship anyway?? of course this is coming form a dealer who literally tried to give me a guilt trip about 'customer loyalty' after my first visit when I said I WAS shopping around............how silly is that.....
but okay, I'm finished with my rant, and by the way, I have been studying my printed out, downloaded version of my car manual just to let you know not ALL drivers ignore it.

and another thing: nice avatar
Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by HBerman
Dealers have to cover fixed costs and liability insurance. I would think that 2 hours is excessive, but one hour of labor the FIRST time might be appropriate if it also included the assembly of the racks to the fixed mounting points on the roof. I've seen pictures of the Thule rack for the E-class and there are a number of initial adjustments that one has to make when first fitting to the car. Maybe I'm incorrect on my assumption, but it looked a bit involved. The racks are easy to remove and attach after the initial setup.

I'm not sure about the "car seat", but my understanding is that it incorporates the "Baby Smart" system to disable the airbag(s) in the front seat. That might be adding to its cost.
YMMV
Hi: I hear what you're saying........I just felt like it was a bit much......
it couldn't be rocket science could it? lol...
Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 PM

2005 G500, 1995 E300D, 1993 500E, 1997 RUF Turbo R
Agree that businesses need to make money. By the time the car gets checked in, moved around, tech gets parts, etc. it can add up. 2 hours is over the top, by an hour IMO.

About the roof rack. I just used a Thule system on my 2011 E550 today. Setting it up took about 30 minutes. Removing it took 5 minutes. I bought it from Rack Attack. The rails a all mounting parts were $269 shipped. These Thule racks are great and have many attachment options. And they sit lower than those crazy tall MB units.

I highly recommend the Thule system.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by lyjw88
dammit! I'm only a captain.

Sincerely,

James Tiberious Kirk
Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM

2010 S550, '10 Road glide, '10 Sportster "48"
"I'm sure this will erupt into a flame fest, but whatever. I just get sick of hearing the same old crying game about dealers. I'm an avid motorcyclist and am on many motorcycle related forums, and guys never constantly cry about dealers. Instead it's all about the love for the brands, tech help, performance and so on"

Ever been on a Harley forum They squeal like stuck pigs, Duc and Beemer guys seem different.

J/K
Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
that is sound advice TEXAS, thanx man.....I'll look into them......
Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
everyone seems to agree: two hours is a rip.......

thanx
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by firefighter608
"I'm sure this will erupt into a flame fest, but whatever. I just get sick of hearing the same old crying game about dealers. I'm an avid motorcyclist and am on many motorcycle related forums, and guys never constantly cry about dealers. Instead it's all about the love for the brands, tech help, performance and so on"

Ever been on a Harley forum They squeal like stuck pigs, Duc and Beemer guys seem different.

J/K
Yeah...that Harley crowd. Haha, weekend warrior badasses.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:25 PM

2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
Like a bunch of folks that can buy 50-80k cars don't realize that businesses need to make money. Appreciate the news flash. Point is we don't see how mb justifies the markup we pay for the services provided. To a sensible person a 250 dollar oil change raises a question mark. Ditto the roof rack issue.

I'm all for service techs getting paid for work they do. But it seems like in the case here we're paying for 2 hours of work that takes 30 min.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I'm sure this will erupt into a flame fest, but whatever. I just get sick of hearing the same old crying game about dealers. MBTECH 1098
LOL
sorry to disappoint you dude .....screw the dealer.......yeah, they wanna make money by screwing me......do you own a MB techboy???
when YOU have 70K in something, you tell me how you would react.......until then? .........

everyone hear thinks that was too high of a quote, and yes, it's a crock.....
Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by mg-E550
Like a bunch of folks that can buy 50-80k cars don't realize that businesses need to make money. Appreciate the news flash. Point is we don't see how mb justifies the markup we pay for the services provided. To a sensible person a 250 dollar oil change raises a question mark. Ditto the roof rack issue.

I'm all for service techs getting paid for work they do. But it seems like in the case here we're paying for 2 hours of work that takes 30 min.
One point that should be made is that the tech doesn't set the rates or times and certainly doesn't take home the hourly labor rate that the dealer charges.

As to the labor rates, your local independant garage doesn't provide the lifetime road service, free Mercedes loaners, washing and vacuuming, drive in service bays, etc... All these things cost money. Take a look around at all the people in the service department helping customers and start adding up the salary costs. You wanted the luxury car experience but that costs money. I've learned over the years that "something for nothing" doesn't last very long.

I'm not telling you that you should happily pay for two hours service for something you can do in 15 minutes, just that it's going to cost the dealer much more than just 1 tech at 15 minutes time to complete the job.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sure this will erupt into a flame fest, but whatever. I just get sick of hearing the same old crying game about dealers. MBTECH 1098
LOL
sorry to disappoint you dude .....screw the dealer.......yeah, they wanna make money by screwing me......do you own a MB techboy???
when YOU have 70K in something, you tell me how you would react.......until then? .........

everyone hear thinks that was too high of a quote, and yes, it's a crock.....
One of the reasons that I turn in my vehicle every 3 years is to not have to experience the high prices for repairs after the warranty expires. The repair costs on MB cars can be astronomical for parts or labor. I also purchased the prepaid service maintainance on my present car to avoid price escalation for regular service.

Last edited by HBerman; 10-03-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by reckrab
One point that should be made is that the tech doesn't set the rates or times and certainly doesn't take home the hourly labor rate that the dealer charges.

As to the labor rates, your local independant garage doesn't provide the lifetime road service, free Mercedes loaners, washing and vacuuming, drive in service bays, etc... All these things cost money. Take a look around at all the people in the service department helping customers and start adding up the salary costs. You wanted the luxury car experience but that costs money. I've learned over the years that "something for nothing" doesn't last very long.

I'm not telling you that you should happily pay for two hours service for something you can do in 15 minutes, just that it's going to cost the dealer much more than just 1 tech at 15 minutes time to complete the job.
Yep, it is all part of the ownership of a luxury ego trip. Just enjoy the experience of having a really nice ride.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by HBerman
One of the reasons that I turn in my vehicle every 3 years is to not have to experience the high prices for repairs after the warranty expires. The repair costs on MB cars can be astronomical for parts or labor. I also purchased the prepaid service maintenance on my present car to avoid price escalation for regular service.
I see what you're saying, my only problem with that is technically you don't really OWN that car do you? Sure you won't have to come out of pocket, but geez, at least it will be MY car and not the dealers.........or worse, the banks...........
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
reckrab: I totally understand what you're saying, and it does make sense to me...........
thanx for the comment
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by mg-E550
Point is we don't see how mb justifies the markup we pay for the services provided. To a sensible person a 250 dollar oil change raises a question mark.
A $250.00 dollar oil change...I assume you are referring to a service "A"

Let's evaluate a service "A" when performed properly:
-They usually pay the tech 1.0 hours @ let's say about $120 an hour(dealer rate)
-about $60 in oil, $15 for a filter, and another $15 for washer fluids and other
fluids that may need to be topped off
-add in costs of recycling the old oil
Now the price balances out...

But now you say an hour for a service is a rip off...well let's see what is done.
-reset service light
-change engine oil
-fill adblue (if equipped)
-clean water deflector(prevent water from getting inside your vehicle due to
leaf build-up)
-check and measure thickness of brakes, front and rear
-correct tire pressure and spare
-check and measure tread depth
-check, coolant level and protection, fill washer fluid, check brake fluid,
check abc fluid(if equipped)
-check seat belts for proper function
-check lighting and warning instruments
-test battery with tester
& some dealers check for codes, though it is not on the service sheet

Just about anywhere you go will charge you 0.5 hours to change the oil, so for additional 0.5 hours, you are getting a lot more.

......do you own a MB techboy???
Yes I have had several benz's...but due to Moto racing, i needed a truck to pull a trailer.

And yes I easily have 70k in one of my race bikes. But don't turn this into one of those wars to see who has the bigger "sword"

But for that matter no one like "getting taken" no matter what something costs! Like stated, 2 hours is unreasonable(as I said), but you should have taken the matter up with the dealer. Also a lot of the times the person who gave you the time(such as a service advisor) do not make the times, they will guess high to cover their ***. They just gave ou a quick number off the top of their head.

100% correct...remember when you take it to the dealer, you are also paying the tech for his skill. How many of you would have found a problem where a 221 S class would intermittently not start due to a pinched wire in the driver seat. These cars are highly complex...not just any monkey can fix them(not saying service them, FIX THEM!) There are some good independents out there, but there are a lot more crappy ones.

Food for thought...there are rumors floating around MB, if your car does not come into the dealer once a year...you lose free roadside assistance for all roadside services.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
mbtech1098: points taken; and good points made too, thanx again........
and yes, I had no idea bikes can get that expensive.......jeez.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oh dealer PLEASE!!!