E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by PHML
i got some rattling on my rear deck lid when I travel over bumps.

anyone else hearing the same thing?
will it be the rear sunshade ?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Kay, so I have a 2010 GL350 that has so many noises coming from all the seats its UNBEARABLE. The dealer likes to put felt everywhere whenever I tell them to do it, but claim they can't fix noises anymore under the extended warranty (my GL is now over 50K miles).

So, with a little research, I found out that you could purchase the SAME FELT Mercedes uses in its vehicles at the dealership parts department. I don't have a part number, but most dealers stock black felt with a sticky underside so you can attach it to contact points around the seat frame to keep noises to a minimum.

You can also buy the "Noise Dampening Service Kit" which is approx. $338. Here's a description from a PDF packet I got after paying $18 on StarTek:

The Mercedes-Benz "Noise kit" has been developed especially for Mercedes-Benz workshops and is intended to effectively eliminate creaking, squeaking and cracking noises.
The lubricants were created especially for Mercedes-Benz vehicles and offer the following advantages over conventional lubricants:
• Usage temperature from -40°C to +140°C
• Compatible with all"interior" materials
(e.g. plastics, seals, (non-ferrous) metals, leather)
• Optimal long-term lubrication
• Resistant to other environmental influences
(dirt, moisture, dust, etc.)
• Non-toxic
• Lubricants available worldwide

THE PART NUMBER IS: A 000 580 03 50

I don't really need the lubricants, so I'll just buy the sticky felt from the dealer, who's selling it at $10/yard to fix the noises. HAVE FUN FIXING THOSE ANNOYING SQUEAKS AND RATTLES!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Originally Posted by amaycg
Kay, so I have a 2010 GL350 that has so many noises coming from all the seats its UNBEARABLE. The dealer likes to put felt everywhere whenever I tell them to do it, but claim they can't fix noises anymore under the extended warranty (my GL is now over 50K miles).

So, with a little research, I found out that you could purchase the SAME FELT Mercedes uses in its vehicles at the dealership parts department. I don't have a part number, but most dealers stock black felt with a sticky underside so you can attach it to contact points around the seat frame to keep noises to a minimum.

You can also buy the "Noise Dampening Service Kit" which is approx. $338. Here's a description from a PDF packet I got after paying $18 on StarTek:

The Mercedes-Benz "Noise kit" has been developed especially for Mercedes-Benz workshops and is intended to effectively eliminate creaking, squeaking and cracking noises.
The lubricants were created especially for Mercedes-Benz vehicles and offer the following advantages over conventional lubricants:
• Usage temperature from -40°C to +140°C
• Compatible with all"interior" materials
(e.g. plastics, seals, (non-ferrous) metals, leather)
• Optimal long-term lubrication
• Resistant to other environmental influences
(dirt, moisture, dust, etc.)
• Non-toxic
• Lubricants available worldwide

THE PART NUMBER IS: A 000 580 03 50

I don't really need the lubricants, so I'll just buy the sticky felt from the dealer, who's selling it at $10/yard to fix the noises. HAVE FUN FIXING THOSE ANNOYING SQUEAKS AND RATTLES!

The lubricant is Dupont's "krytox" rebranded like VW and Chevy do for their squeaks. It really is the best for plastic-on-plastic noises. You just have to take a lot of stuff apart and use it extremely sparingly.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:32 PM

E350 BT
I know this thread is long, but I wanted to share the elimination of some type of strange rattle noise in the rear of the W212 sedan. The rear roof liner has an access panel, that if you tap it, sounds like the noise I hear over rough pavement. The culprits are plastic "louvers" that slide into place to lock the panel down. This panel removed from the rear, by the rear window and they are NOT the cheapo metal-plastic locking tabs. In fact, examining the structure of the roof liner itself, it's very well engineered and high quality, compared to BMW and Audi, who will use velcro and glue. I ended up using craft felt and just wrapped as these photos and slide the panel back in place. The noise is eliminated and tapping on this panel is just a "thud" now, and not the plastic-on-plastic rattle. Hope this helps some folks.

Merry Christmas
Attached Thumbnails Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?-_dsc0003.jpg   Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?-_dsc0004.jpg  
Old 12-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
Hi Kurgan,

That is the exact spot where I believe my "buzz/rattle" originates. Was the panel easy to remove and did you have to use any tools or special tools? It seems like an easy fix and I'd prefer not having to make a warranty visit.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:57 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by golfster
Hi Kurgan,

That is the exact spot where I believe my "buzz/rattle" originates. Was the panel easy to remove and did you have to use any tools or special tools? It seems like an easy fix and I'd prefer not having to make a warranty visit.
It was easy, but I have a door removal kit with a plastic pry tool. It removes from the rear, near the window, just pull down gently and you'll hear the 4 attachment points release. I believe the buzz comes from the plastic pieces that slide into the roof liner.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by thekurgan
I know this thread is long, but I wanted to share the elimination of some type of strange rattle noise in the rear of the W212 sedan. The rear roof liner has an access panel, that if you tap it, sounds like the noise I hear over rough pavement. The culprits are plastic "louvers" that slide into place to lock the panel down. This panel removed from the rear, by the rear window and they are NOT the cheapo metal-plastic locking tabs. In fact, examining the structure of the roof liner itself, it's very well engineered and high quality, compared to BMW and Audi, who will use velcro and glue. I ended up using craft felt and just wrapped as these photos and slide the panel back in place. The noise is eliminated and tapping on this panel is just a "thud" now, and not the plastic-on-plastic rattle. Hope this helps some folks.

Merry Christmas
Bingo, and good info. That rear individual piece that is a separated continuation of the headliner seems to be the culprit. When you hit it, you can hear it's kind of "loose". Sometimes when it rattles, I bang it a couple of times and the rattles stop for a bit.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:02 AM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by K-A
Bingo, and good info. That rear individual piece that is a separated continuation of the headliner seems to be the culprit. When you hit it, you can hear it's kind of "loose". Sometimes when it rattles, I bang it a couple of times and the rattles stop for a bit.
I ended up applying felt to this rear panel piece as well as the child seat hook covers. I don't hear anything from the rear now; and it's been pretty cold here.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
K-A

What tires do you have on the car? Is it Continental? If so, they are prone to having poor absorbing feel over ruts and bumps compared to higher quality Michelin tires. Once i switched them over on all my cars including mercedes and BMW, the cars are quieter, smoother, comfortable with better handling. Tires do wonder for the cars and is an important part of the car too. So consider that as an option to get you car to become well rounded and more tuned to your taste. The E class is definitely smoother than the 5 overall.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by Baloo588
K-A

What tires do you have on the car? Is it Continental? If so, they are prone to having poor absorbing feel over ruts and bumps compared to higher quality Michelin tires. Once i switched them over on all my cars including mercedes and BMW, the cars are quieter, smoother, comfortable with better handling. Tires do wonder for the cars and is an important part of the car too. So consider that as an option to get you car to become well rounded and more tuned to your taste. The E class is definitely smoother than the 5 overall.
Baloo - it is patently incorrect to label any tire brand as being harsh riding as there are so many variables.

First, you have the type of tire. The higher the performance rating of the tire, the harsher it will be as the sidewall will be stiffer. Grand touring tires will give you the smoothest ride, while winter tires will be noisier due to the tread design.

Modern BMWs (and MB diesel E series in the US) have run flat tires. These have a very stiff sidewall as well and are generally much harsher than their non-run flat equivalents. If you switched from rft to anything else then your ride got smoother.

Once your comparing the same performance category and tire design (run flat vs non-runflat) you can discuss which tires ride smoother than others. You can bet that those "smooth riding tires" have a downside somewhere else.

Incidentally, tests generally place the Conti tires near the top.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Baloo,
I don't dispute that you have had a better experience, but just to contrast your statement, I had Michelin Pilot Sports as OEM on my Caddy CTS. They were garbage. They flat-spotted worse than any tire I have ever had, they would not keep a balance, and they were all over the road. I pulled them after a year and replaced them with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's and the car handled like a dream.

These are the same Pirelli's that came as OEM on my 2011 E-350 Sport. They are terriffic. You could not get me to use Michelins again for any price.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Baloo588
K-A

Interesting. What I do know is that these Conti's are noticeably superior in comfort and noise absorbing than my 2010 E350 with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. Those things were utter CRAP in terms of keeping harshness out of the cabin.

Lately everything is really quiet in the car. I just gave up and figured that they usually somehow go away on their own.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I agree with KA actually: I really liked the conts I had on my 550 before I got the Mich's.....and to be honest, IMO, the conts DID feel better.....
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
I have an occasional annoying noise from my passenger seat....oh wait, that is my wife.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
ditto ...
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by michael10128
I have an occasional annoying noise from my passenger seat....oh wait, that is my wife.
LOL, make sure she doesn't read this line otherwise she would increasing your volume up more than ever
Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting. What I do know is that these Conti's are noticeably superior in comfort and noise absorbing than my 2010 E350 with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. Those things were utter CRAP in terms of keeping harshness out of the cabin.

Lately everything is really quiet in the car. I just gave up and figured that they usually somehow go away on their own.

ust my two cents about the tire.

I just swapped my 2011 E350 for a 2010 E550. Yes, went back a year but the new car has only half of the miles I already had in mine. Very much the same design cars. Both with the sports and pano roof and P2 but what I wanted was the Distronic. I have that now with some other features, like lost of more power...

But, for the tires: My E350 had the Contis and this new one has the Pirelli P-Zero Nanos (brand new too). Both cars with the same staggered wheel setting. I cannot tell any difference between them. Both of them SUCK very bad. Extremely noisy tires both of them.

I thought he Contis were bad because the car came with them and you could think tires like that are not the best tires to chose from but if this Pirelli is the next choise then these two tire brands can go to junk yard.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
sounds like everybody is having different experiences with their tires. so are there any "good" tires out there that quiet, ride and feel good ?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM

slk230
I would like that answer too. I have directional tires (goodrich's)
had front end aligned for no reason: shop told me it was a tire problem!
Good tires anyone?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
Wow. The rear headliner panel has been a hassle for me too. Thanks for that. Will fix it tomorrow!
Now I also have a really annoying one that is somewhere in the driver side b-pillar.
Dealer has had it 3x and always the same thing. "We wrapped it in felt nothing could possibly rattle now." Still a constant ticking in general region of adjustable portion of seatbelt. No pressure or pulling recreates or stops it.

Have not been brave enough to start taking it apart myself. Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks

Shawn.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM

e63 2010 W212
Originally Posted by michael10128

OMG!! that's F'ing hillarious!!!
i'm going to show my wife thsi thread!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM

e63 2010 W212
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
sounds like everybody is having different experiences with their tires. so are there any "good" tires out there that quiet, ride and feel good ?
I have a great suggestion!
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...res-212-a.html
Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
thanks, racing dad. i'll definitely consider them when the time comes.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
OK I pulled the rear headliner panel. underneath were the wires and controls for the rear glass defroster etc. But funny thing was the dealership had shoved 2 pieces of pink egg crate in there to quiet the rattle I had complained about. it did NOTHING and I'm not sure why they thought it would.

Super easy fix. took me <10 minutes including figuring out exactly how to ease the piece off. I put some felt tape on all the plastic pieces that would tough others (~6 areas) dropped it back in took it for a spin....SILENCE

from there anyway. still have tiny intermittent one on the dash, near the cluster and one really intermittent but annoying one in the driver's b-pillar. i will tackle those after I track down some diagrams.

as for getting the piece off. I have a 90 degree angle plastic piece for pulling panels. I stuck it between the back glass and the piece I was removing and gently pulled down right in the center of the piece. it popped loose. I repeated at each end. then it slides off down and towards the back glass. (harder to explain than just do it.) basically pull down gently then slide toward back glass. reverse to replace.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM

E300 Cab
Rattle and wind noise on a E350 Cab

In January we picked up our spanking new E350 cab and since day 2 we have had nothing but problems with dashboard rattles and wind noise from the drivers side. We have been back and forth from the dealer, now 4 times and the car has been in for 7 days and still it is not sorted. In matter of fact since the last time when the main seal was changed we now have wind noise on the drivers side as well. Today I went to see the DP and the service manager they agree there is a problem and have now given us another E350 cab to drive while they try and sort the problem out. I cannot believe a 50k car has these problems! I stepped out of a BMW and in all honestly I wish I never had!

Has anyone else had problems with wind noise? The dashboard rattle has now been sorted however it does come back every now and then, very annoying. like some other posters it drives me made and I am not one to put my music up so I don't hear the noise, why should I?

Il;l be interested to hear if anyone else has had this experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?