E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by fintail
B pillar in rear? Do you mean the pillar between the front and rear doors (or maybe the central bar in the pano roof) or the rearmost pillar behind the rear doors?

My car seemed cured for about a week, but I am getting a random pop or crack again. As the weather gets warmer here, I fear it will get worse. I am going to suggest they inspect the same areas addressed on your car, if it keeps up.
Ooops, I did not read my paperwork closely due to joy of getting rid of that noise.

I have had the car out in 80+ degree weather sitting in the sun, no noise, no pops sofar.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:11 AM

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
I can understand that, I was thrilled for the few days when I thought the car had been cured.

Was your issue the C-pillar, then? I am still certain my noises are coming from pretty far back.

Originally Posted by Nuru
Ooops, I did not read my paperwork closely due to joy of getting rid of that noise.

I have had the car out in 80+ degree weather sitting in the sun, no noise, no pops sofar.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
I can understand that, I was thrilled for the few days when I thought the car had been cured.

Was your issue the C-pillar, then? I am still certain my noises are coming from pretty far back.
The paperwork claimed it originated from the B-pillar, wherever it was it was somewhere behind me and above the heads of passengers in the back.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
The paperwork claimed it originated from the B-pillar, wherever it was it was somewhere behind me and above the heads of passengers in the back.
That is the C-pillar area; they probably made a mistake; the B-pillar is where your seat belts are located central to the car's chassis.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by thekurgan
That is the C-pillar area; they probably made a mistake; the B-pillar is where your seat belts are located central to the car's chassis.
Hmmm, let me think about that. The noise was in back of me and above me. My passengers thought it was above them, and one of them thought it was just above them. I dunno, it could have originated at the top of the B-pillar and resonated through the PANO roof?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:17 PM

E350 BT
Hmmm, let me think about that. The noise was in back of me and above me. My passengers thought it was above them, and one of them thought it was just above them. I dunno, it could have originated at the top of the B-pillar and resonated through the PANO roof?
Above you in the driver's seat = B pillar
Behind/up from your passengers = C pillar

The pano roof is large and sounds to reverberate throughout.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM

S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
That sounds like the B-pillar area, yeah.

I am still certain my noise comes from the rear deck, certainly is coming from a ways behind me. Next time we have some warm weather (probably weeks off), I think I am just going to leave the car at the dealer and tell them to fix it right on the third time. They can replace the entire rear deck if need be.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
That sounds like the B-pillar area, yeah.

I am still certain my noise comes from the rear deck, certainly is coming from a ways behind me. Next time we have some warm weather (probably weeks off), I think I am just going to leave the car at the dealer and tell them to fix it right on the third time. They can replace the entire rear deck if need be.
If it is the rear deck "aka Paneling Hat Tray", then they can either replace it due to warping or they can install Felt tape as described in earlier posts.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Seems like rattles are only coming with the pano roofs ?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Kushp14
Seems like rattles are only coming with the pano roofs ?
Actually no, it seems the major split between origin points are the rear deck/speaker grille behind the seats and the the pillars (b or c).
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 PM

I am going to mention those solutions when I visit again - maybe tomorrow. They should agree pretty easily - I am the type who will come back over and over, and I am sure they have better things to do than fix my finicky issues

Here is what they noted last time around:

"Applied butyl rubber and sliding lube to insulate plastic cracking noises on third brake lamp contact points and retaining clips, applied lube and felt to pillars and headliner trim clips, applied butyl rubber to sunshade mounting tracks".

I am thinking the "lube" might somehow wear off over time? The car was fairly silent for the first week or so, but eventually the creaking and cracking came back.

Kind of a shame, every MB I have owned so far has been devoid of such issues. W210 had intermittent sunroof/headliner rattle, but I fixed it.

If it is the rear deck "aka Paneling Hat Tray", then they can either replace it due to warping or they can install Felt tape as described in earlier posts.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
I am going to mention those solutions when I visit again - maybe tomorrow. They should agree pretty easily - I am the type who will come back over and over, and I am sure they have better things to do than fix my finicky issues

Here is what they noted last time around:

"Applied butyl rubber and sliding lube to insulate plastic cracking noises on third brake lamp contact points and retaining clips, applied lube and felt to pillars and headliner trim clips, applied butyl rubber to sunshade mounting tracks".

I am thinking the "lube" might somehow wear off over time? The car was fairly silent for the first week or so, but eventually the creaking and cracking came back.

Kind of a shame, every MB I have owned so far has been devoid of such issues. W210 had intermittent sunroof/headliner rattle, but I fixed it.
Yep, I would say due to heat via the sun exposure you are probably correct. Maybe they should opt for felt tape?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes product
Wow, I'm sorry to hear you guys are still having problems with the W212...you would think MB would have come up with permanent solutions long ago. These cars should not have the amount of rattles they have. It seems that the only way to fix a rattle is to do it yourself.

MB and their dealer network should be embarrassed. Audi and BMW showrooms should be happy--I wonder if corporate understands that.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
They apparently fixed mine with one shot at it.

And of course BMW has had its share of issues, and you can look at their forums and see the issues that continually bug their owners. So jumping for joy over a discussion like we are having on this forum would be quite ridiculous. and then there are these links for both BMW and Audi.

http://www.ibtimes.com/bmw-recall-20...a-airbag-issue.

http://news.consumerreports.org/safe...e-problem.html.

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/...eries/recalls/

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/01/audi/recalls/
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM

Next Monday I will finally have the time to bring the car back in for another go-round of noise elimination. I am going to suggest they use felt tape everywhere possible, and inspect the assembly for any warped pieces. I had the car out Sunday, temps only around 70, but some bright sun exposure would set off the chorus of pops.

On the noise issue, my wipers are bugging me too. On normal mode, it's like they don't move fast enough, and they lurch along making annoying noise along with looking bad. If I put them on the high speed setting, they move normal. I've cleaned the windshield thoroughly including with a magic eraser, applied rain-x then scrubbed it down again and applied aquapel - the normal speed lurching happens no matter what. Either I have bad blades, or they don't move fast enough. I miss the lightning fast single blade W210 wiper.

Yep, I would say due to heat via the sun exposure you are probably correct. Maybe they should opt for felt tape?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Next Monday I will finally have the time to bring the car back in for another go-round of noise elimination. I am going to suggest they use felt tape everywhere possible, and inspect the assembly for any warped pieces. I had the car out Sunday, temps only around 70, but some bright sun exposure would set off the chorus of pops.

On the noise issue, my wipers are bugging me too. On normal mode, it's like they don't move fast enough, and they lurch along making annoying noise along with looking bad. If I put them on the high speed setting, they move normal. I've cleaned the windshield thoroughly including with a magic eraser, applied rain-x then scrubbed it down again and applied aquapel - the normal speed lurching happens no matter what. Either I have bad blades, or they don't move fast enough. I miss the lightning fast single blade W210 wiper.
your plan for the dealer visit sounds good. Mine is still silent so I think the dealership got it right this time. I will see if that is still the case, once I retrofit the split folding seats option next month.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM

And another update - dropped it off early this morning. Got a call several hours later - they are keeping the car until tomorrow as they have found some rear trim clips that needed replacement, and will not be here til then. Might be a good sign.

your plan for the dealer visit sounds good. Mine is still silent so I think the dealership got it right this time. I will see if that is still the case, once I retrofit the split folding seats option next month.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
.. once I retrofit the split folding seats option next month.
How much to retrofit this option? Parts only cost for DIY?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 PM

E350 BT
And another update - dropped it off early this morning. Got a call several hours later - they are keeping the car until tomorrow as they have found some rear trim clips that needed replacement, and will not be here til then. Might be a good sign.
It's more likely they broke them
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mleskovar
How much to retrofit this option? Parts only cost for DIY?
Depends on how much the seats and the rear shelf "Hat Panel Tray" cost. I am installing myself, so it is the cost of the parts for me and just my own labor (<1 hours for the seats, 2 hours for the Hat Panel tray).

Here are some pricing estimates based on the procing I have seen on the web.

The rear Split-folding seat package (including release handles, cables, locking mechanisms) range in price from $650 - $1000, used, shipped/delivered
If you pick-up yourself, then the pricing ranges from ~$500 - ~$700.
The panel tray ~$500 new, ~$200 used
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Sounds like felt tape and clips for you! I hope that solves it for you.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM

I got it back today. Th list of parts are things like "rubber buffer", "stay", "clip", "felt strip". No surprise, no change in the noise - it was making noise within a minute of the time I drove away.

Funny, the invoice lists "test drove over rough roads and frame flex conditions" - which are irrelevant to the noises that have been bugging me. The engine doesn't even have to be running for the car to make these noises, not to mention be moving. It is fine and quiet over bumps. I guess I need to make it very clear.

The broken clip idea might be true, for all I know.

A problem I have is that I work odd hours and days, and can't just come in at noon on a random day to have their quality assurance (or whatever) guy ride with me. I usually work until the time the techs leave. I was OK with the fault before, but I am pretty irritated now, on the third unsuccessful attempt.

I don't know what else can be done, other than to replace the entire rear shelf. I am going to go back tomorrow, before the techs are gone, and have someone else ride along and hear it if they desire - then firmly ask for a loaner car, and let them have the car for a couple days.

Sounds like felt tape and clips for you! I hope that solves it for you.

Last edited by fintail; 06-04-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
I got it back today. Th list of parts are things like "rubber buffer", "stay", "clip", "felt strip". No surprise, no change in the noise - it was making noise within a minute of the time I drove away.

Funny, the invoice lists "test drove over rough roads and frame flex conditions" - which are irrelevant to the noises that have been bugging me. The engine doesn't even have to be running for the car to make these noises, not to mention be moving. It is fine and quiet over bumps. I guess I need to make it very clear.

The broken clip idea might be true, for all I know.

A problem I have is that I work odd hours and days, and can't just come in at noon on a random day to have their quality assurance (or whatever) guy ride with me. I usually work until the time the techs leave. I was OK with the fault before, but I am pretty irritated now, on the third unsuccessful attempt.

I don't know what else can be done, other than to replace the entire rear shelf. I am going to go back tomorrow, before the techs are gone, and have someone else ride along and hear it if they desire - then firmly ask for a loaner car, and let them have the car for a couple days.
Yep, I had the Shop steward ride with me and he diagnosed the issue. I left the car for 3 days and received a loaner. Came back when it was ready and it has been working perfectly since that time. Yep leave it with them once you show them what you are talking about. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
So? What was it? Bet it was that panel that covers the 3rd brake light?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
So? What was it? Bet it was that panel that covers the 3rd brake light?
for mine, please review message #174. . Actually, it was not the Rear Shelf/Hat Panel Tray. which is what i thought it was originally.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?