Warped wiper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Warped wiper

Rain started in California so I used wipers first time. What happened, very noisy and clean just ¼ of window. Stopped and checked. It has a new design entire wiper seems made from rubber and it is badly warped. I hope it is covered by warranty, the car is just 3 months old. Going to a dealer tomorrow. I hope only me having this experience.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
Have used mine through all kinds of weather (rain/snow/ice) here in northeast. no problems.

The design is actually pretty good in my opinion (many manufactuers and RAin-X now using this style) - and better than the metal backed ones.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
I was very interested in the performance of these wipers......they looked strange to me.....but I have been cursed with ****ty wipers over the years for some reason..........
I have always liked the single wipers, have seen a few on MB and on Jag's too.......
seems like such a better idea to have one vs two...........
Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 128 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Dealer will replace wiper if less than 12 months old. I had the same issue las year on my 2010 E. Only takes a couple minutes to replace. In my case the service adviser did it himself.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Tonight, my wipers were on, in a rare occurrence (my car rarely has seen rain), and the driver side wiper COMPLETELY FELL/GOT THROWN OFF when it was heaving in its upward swing. I pulled over, ran in middle of the street and found the stupid thing. I then clicked it back on.... drove off, and AGAIN, it swung off, this time clunking against the roof of my car.

Then, the stubby metallic piece obviously did several scraping-against-the-window motions before I figured out that I clicked it in the direction that turns it on faster rather than turns it off. So far, no signs of scratches against the window from it (knocking on wood).

WTF. This better be covered.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
k-a, your post should be in the wtf thread. that's pretty crazy ! hope your windshield is ok. have you guys noticed the wipers are quite noisy and stutter? maybe time for me to get a new set .
Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by K-A
Tonight, my wipers were on, in a rare occurrence (my car rarely has seen rain), and the driver side wiper COMPLETELY FELL/GOT THROWN OFF when it was heaving in its upward swing. I pulled over, ran in middle of the street and found the stupid thing. I then clicked it back on.... drove off, and AGAIN, it swung off, this time clunking against the roof of my car.

Then, the stubby metallic piece obviously did several scraping-against-the-window motions before I figured out that I clicked it in the direction that turns it on faster rather than turns it off. So far, no signs of scratches against the window from it (knocking on wood).

WTF. This better be covered.
I wonder if the blade was ever attached properly or something is broken. These blades attach differently than the older style framed blades. Pull the arm away from the windshield until it locks open, turn the blade 90 degrees to the direction of the arm, insert and turn parallel to the arm. Should be a smooth and easy move. I assume the stubby piece you refer to is the arm. You were fortunate the windshield didn't get scratched. Let us know how the dealer resolves it.

What's irritating is the manuals for the car do not cover simple repairs or procedures, like replacing lamps, wiper blades etc.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I have been using these Mercedes 'rubber' style wiper blades since my last 2009 C350 and now my 2012 E350.

Generally, these wipers worked well, though they squeak oftenly.

For upkeep -- I claybar-ed my windshield once (or twice, depends on weather) a year and made sure the windshield was smooth and free-of-dirt. I also made a habbit to replace these rubber blades with new ones whenever I did my Service A or B at the dealer, mostly yearly. At last, when I used my wipers, every once a while I would press the stalk to spray some windshild cleaner fluid on the windshield, which would help eliminate the squeaking noise for a while.

To OP, if your wipers are warped, they might be broken or so. It might be a good idea to visit the dealer and have the wipers replaced.

Regards,
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
They replaced it no questions. Turns out the metal "tooth" was bent upwards, which is why it was loose. Not sure how that managed to happen. He had to use pliers to bend it down, which left a tiny scratch on that tiny piece, but eh, not something worth getting bent over.

On a good note, the wiper he gave me has a pretty cool little Star emblem on the outer edge, it's a seemingly protruding dye on the rubber. Kind of cheesy on one hand, as M-B has to watch out with all the Star emblems on these cars (too much ruins the effect), but it's centered on the windshield which makes it symmetrical. I think it looks pretty cool, though either way is fine for me. At least I got something out of it.

Not sure why this wiper has the emblem on it though, and both W212's I've had didn't have it from the factory.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
no pics? j/k . good thing your dealer have that done, k-a .