Q7
Biggest surprise of your w212.........?

Positive...or negative....
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Zinny
Positive...or negative....
I think my biggest surprise was that they don't come with leather and the dealers don't order them that way. MBTek does the job okay but I do miss the smell of leather interior.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by reckrab
I think my biggest surprise was that they don't come with leather and the dealers don't order them that way. MBTek does the job okay but I do miss the smell of leather interior.
That was exactly what I was going to say. $63,000 and plastic seats!?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:43 AM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
No power folding mirrors (c class in US even has them).
No pre-set volume on stereo for when you start the car (2007 chevy has this)
Have to hold memory buttons until everything adjusts (2007 chevy has this)
Can't program keyfobs to memory settings (2007 chevy has this)
Surprised by the power of the V6.
Like the rear window shade.
Like how smooth and quiet the car rides.

Last edited by MCF; 11-01-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Q7
Originally Posted by LRM1
That was exactly what I was going to say. $63,000 and plastic seats!?

I am a little confused (car is on order), what is the "leather" like when you order it as an option or as it comes standard in the E550.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Black W212 E550
Originally Posted by MCF
No power folding mirrors (c class in US even has them).
No pre-set volume on stereo for when you start the car.
Surprised by the power of the V6.
Like the rear window shade.
Like how smooth and quiet the car rides.
-I definitely agree with the no folding mirrors, I must have looked through the manual for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use them. Someone has to come up with a knock off soon.
-I was pleasantly surprised with the power of the 550
-I would have thought they would be a little tighter handling on the 550 (but it is a MB vs a Bimmer).

This being my 4th MB and first non-S, I'm a satisfied buyer.

FTB

FTB
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
MCF

E350
I am a little confused (car is on order), what is the "leather" like when you order it as an option or as it comes standard in the E550.
I got leather on my E350 luxury and not only is the material nicer than the stock MBTEX seats, the seats themselves are much nicer. They don't just take the same seats and either cover them with MBTEX or leather, the seats, bolsters, firmness, support, is totally different. I am 100% glad I searched and found a the car with almond leather. I would have regretted every day.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Q7
Originally Posted by fromthebeginnin
-I definitely agree with the no folding mirrors, I must have looked through the manual for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use them. Someone has to come up with a knock off soon.
-I was pleasantly surprised with the power of the 550
-I would have thought they would be a little tighter handling on the 550 (but it is a MB vs a Bimmer).

This being my 4th MB and first non-S, I'm a satisfied buyer.

FTB

FTB
This is my first MB after 4 Audi's. I got the 550 and the Sport. Had an S4 on order but just felt the E was a better deal.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 AM

'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
Not so much a surprise but ...

1) the lack of the cd player to remember or set as default that I want to "MIX" my tracks on the cd or dvd in the changer. If I set it to mix it defaults back to Normal Track Sequence anytime I switch from 1 cd to the next...the only time that should happen (and how it worked on my 09 GL) was if I actually removed a disk and replaced it - this is a major annoyance

1a) also the mix play is not a true mix - in my GL it mixed on fwd and backwards...the E it only mixes on fwd... so you can actually replay all of the songs in history by hitting the "rewind" button even with mix turned on.

2) don't understand why Ipod integration kit doesn't charge ipod

3) No pre tinted top of windshield section

4) totally minor but a pet peeve nonetheless - silver PLASTIC tire valve caps...really $68k and you make the caps out of plastic. It was terrible that those nice hex shaped brushed aluminum valve caps from the loaner lexus I had for a few days fell off when the car was in my driveway...it'd be a shame to throw them away so I used them.

5) the rear seat pass through...the door should open upwards - not down...if you rest something on it it will eventually break...up and out of the way I say (my Lexus door went up btw)

7) I like the cornering lights

8) I like how the auto hi-beams work - very impressive.

Probably a few others but nothing I can think of now.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Q7
Originally Posted by MCF
I got leather on my E350 luxury and not only is the material nicer than the stock MBTEX seats, the seats themselves are much nicer. They don't just take the same seats and either cover them with MBTEX or leather, the seats, bolsters, firmness, support, is totally different. I am 100% glad I searched and found a the car with almond leather. I would have regretted every day.

Are those the seats with the long piping?

Last edited by Zinny; 11-01-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 AM

Black W212 E550
This is my first MB after 4 Audi's. I got the 550 and the Sport. Had an S4 on order but just felt the E was a better deal.
From what I have been told, a lot of the decisions relating to options and use of plastic material, etc where based on ensuring that a competitive price point was achieved. I can't tell you how many times my dealer said do you know what a comparable BMW 550i would cost (and he was right).

As stated "I really like the car" for me it's better than pushing a big sedan (although personally I think the S Class is the best road car available, maybe in 2014 I'll go flip back).

FTB

Last edited by fromthebeginnin; 11-01-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 AM

2005 G500, 1995 E300D, 1993 500E, 1997 RUF Turbo R
Johnny Mo: A couple of reponses:

2. My iphone 4 gets charged when plugged in. Same for my '10 GL

4. That is by design. The TPMS is integrated into the valve stem. Metal caps can somehow corrode the valve stem and TPMS sensor. Somewhere in a manual I read that you must use plastic.

My answer:

No huge disappointments. Agree on the folding mirrors.

Impressed by the 550 power, fit and finish (compared to my former '04 S500), quiet, electronics, and much more.

I am happy very happy with my E550.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Q7
Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
1) the lack of the cd player to remember or set as default that I want to "MIX" my tracks on the cd or dvd in the changer. If I set it to mix it defaults back to Normal Track Sequence anytime I switch from 1 cd to the next...the only time that should happen (and how it worked on my 09 GL) was if I actually removed a disk and replaced it - this is a major annoyance

1a) also the mix play is not a true mix - in my GL it mixed on fwd and backwards...the E it only mixes on fwd... so you can actually replay all of the songs in history by hitting the "rewind" button even with mix turned on.

2) don't understand why Ipod integration kit doesn't charge ipod

3) No pre tinted top of windshield section

4) totally minor but a pet peeve nonetheless - silver PLASTIC tire valve caps...really $68k and you make the caps out of plastic. It was terrible that those nice hex shaped brushed aluminum valve caps from the loaner lexus I had for a few days fell off when the car was in my driveway...it'd be a shame to throw them away so I used them.

5) the rear seat pass through...the door should open upwards - not down...if you rest something on it it will eventually break...up and out of the way I say (my Lexus door went up btw)

7) I like the cornering lights

8) I like how the auto hi-beams work - very impressive.

Probably a few others but nothing I can think of now.

That does not make any sense? The charging part??

I cannot wait to try the auto high beams. I live in the country and think they will work GREAT!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM

'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
Features

Originally Posted by Texas993

4. That is by design. The TPMS is integrated into the valve stem. Metal caps can somehow corrode the valve stem and TPMS sensor. Somewhere in a manual I read that you must use plastic.

My answer:

Impressed by the 550 power, fit and finish (compared to my former '04 S500), quiet, electronics, and much more.

I'll have to check it out with the iPod then - didn't even try considering it didn't work on my '09 GL - that would be a great improvement.

As for the valve caps..if the cap is made out of the same metal as the valve stem in the TPMS there wouldn't be a risk of corrosion or galling.

My Lexus had TPMS as well and the caps were of the same material...besides MB sells dressier caps with MB logos or 3pt Star on them...didn't see any disclaimer there..
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Q7
Originally Posted by Texas993

My answer:

You replaced your s class with E class?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by MCF
Have to hold memory buttons until everything adjusts (2007 chevy has this)
Awesome for a 6' tall guy who shares the car with his 5' tall wife and subsequently gets sandwiched between the seat and the dashboard thanks to this lovely "one touch" feature.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550
Overall very positive...but my biggest disappointment is the sqeaky brakes after only 7,000 miles. Many people in this forum experienced the same problem which is "normal" with the mercedes.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
My Lexus had TPMS as well and the caps were of the same material...besides MB sells dressier caps with MB logos or 3pt Star on them...didn't see any disclaimer there..

wanted to get tire stem caps too......only 18 bux.........and I can install them myself...hehe.....
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
Biggest disappointment is the navigation system. Couple of weeks ago tried looking up Pepboys and the listing showed me one in Miami. It didn't register the 2 Pepboys that I have withing 15 miles of me. They were nowhere to be found on the list.

I also don't like how firm the seats are even with the "real" leather seats that I have. If I plop on the seat like dead weight there I hear a crunching sound from the seat bottom.

Now for the positives. I love how the car drives and sounds. The car is somewhere between a Lexus and a BMW. Not too sporty and not too floaty. I am amazed at how quiet it is as well. Just the perfect blend that I was looking for.

I am really impressed and surprised with the fit and finish of the car both inside and outside. Love the ambient lighting under the wood, gives it a very classy look at night.

I was surprised how awesome the Harman Kardan radio. Very crisp and clean sound with the right amount of bass.

I love this car!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by kingofire
Biggest disappointment is the navigation system. Couple of weeks ago tried looking up Pepboys and the listing showed me one in Miami. It didn't register the 2 Pepboys that I have withing 15 miles of me. They were nowhere to be found on the list.
I agree 100%! Every time I need to find something I end up having to break out my Iphone. The only thing this is good for is direct address input and even that when compared to BMW the MB's Voice command entry is TERRIBLE. In the BMW I can say "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC." Now think about how difficult it is to enter the same address with our NAV.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM

2016 GLE 4MATIC
1) Full time ambient light in dashboards and gauges.
2) Folding mirrors
3) Hums and grunts. I am convinced that its normal
4) When turning off, steering retracts back, but not seats.
5) Does not do my dishes. LOL

Not a big deal, really. I am a Lexus owner as well, and agree its a blend between Lexus and BMW. However, cannot beat the fact that if I switch to Sport Airmatic and S-mode, it drives like a BMW. Almost.

What I love the most? Quiet. As someone had put it aptly, its a "Land Yatch"
Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 PM

07 CLK 350 gone...... 10 E350
Cons

1) Squeaky sound when driving...

2) Real seat folding down is not included on my P2 E class... I didn't even asked for this since car was expensive enough and I thought this option was included on all MB even though it's listed as separate option on website....

3) Rear camera shows screen noise sometimes..... Also if I switch gear too fast rear view camera stays on while driving sometimes... Program glitch...

Pros

1) Appearance

2) LED ambient lights

3) Voice recognition actually works sometime...
Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Seats supporting me in turns and better voice recognition.

The rest I already knew from previous W211, no leather, no phone addressbook access
Old 11-01-2010, 08:29 PM
MCF

E350
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Awesome for a 6' tall guy who shares the car with his 5' tall wife and subsequently gets sandwiched between the seat and the dashboard thanks to this lovely "one touch" feature.
"One touch feature"?? I have to literally keep the button held down until everything adjusts. This is how it works, correct? I wish you could just push the button once and everything adjusts until its to the pre-setting.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by MCF
"One touch feature"?? I have to literally keep the button held down until everything adjusts. This is how it works, correct? I wish you could just push the button once and everything adjusts until its to the pre-setting.
It’s a minor inconvenience in the name of safety, but I guess they could install an auto reverse feature like the windows and sunroof... or maybe it would be too difficult/expensive?!?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Biggest surprise of your w212.........?