Input needed on grill painting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Another thing I've noticed about some aftermarket grilles, is that the fit isn't usually exactly as snug as the OEM. On the W212, some pics I've seen with some aftermarket grilles, don't show the grille as sitting as precisely snug on the bottom or top. I'm sure quality varies between different company's, so me being the nit-picker that I am (this is a Benz afterall, fit and finish should be superb across the board), if I were in the market, I'd closely analyze the pics provided by each company, to ensure you're getting the "tightest" fitted grille. This would probably help you regarding picking the most quality built grill I'm sure as well.

Last edited by K-A; 11-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 888 Likes on 638 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by K-A
Another thing I've noticed about some aftermarket grilles, is that the fit isn't usually exactly as snug as the OEM. On the W212, some pics I've seen with some aftermarket grilles, don't show the grille as sitting as precisely snug on the bottom or top. I'm sure quality varies between different company's, so me being the nit-picker that I am (this is a Benz afterall, fit and finish should be superb across the board), if I were in the market, I'd closely analyze the pics provided by each company, to ensure you're getting the "tightest" fitted grille.
This would probably help you regarding picking the most quality built grill I'm sure as well.

You are correct. There is a fit issue with the 55Tech grille I bought. The gap to bumper in the bottom is slightly wider than at sides. I would say 2-3 mm wider. I think this could be fixed with a little work but for me it was fine but for some "picker" it probably isn't.

Funny thing is that the grille came with a foam "window seal" strip attached in the bottom edge of the grille like it would dampen rattles when it is against the bumper. The seal did not even touch the bumper so I took it off.

The original bumper, of course, fitts very evenly around as it is a Benz part. Perhaps one day I'll take the star grille off again and work on it but right now I don't have time and it is quite ok.

You can see pics of my car in dfwdude's badge thread. He posted them today as I bought one of his White Star badges, which fits perfectly. You can judge yourself if the star grille fit looks that bad. He refers to me as Ari.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212
Originally Posted by hyperion667
no, couldn't find prices......still waiting for a reply from them.......
hoping!.....
there's also the GB tab you can click on to view in English; top right somewhere's.....
I am hoping these cats get back to me....

I see.. IM just going to paint the oem grill i bought this week so will post pics when its done.. probably end of the week. painting the grill and my tail lights.and installing leds in my license plate lights and parking lights
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Arrie
You are correct. There is a fit issue with the 55Tech grille I bought. The gap to bumper in the bottom is slightly wider than at sides. I would say 2-3 mm wider. I think this could be fixed with a little work but for me it was fine but for some "picker" it probably isn't.

Funny thing is that the grille came with a foam "window seal" strip attached in the bottom edge of the grille like it would dampen rattles when it is against the bumper. The seal did not even touch the bumper so I took it off.

The original bumper, of course, fitts very evenly around as it is a Benz part. Perhaps one day I'll take the star grille off again and work on it but right now I don't have time and it is quite ok.

You can see pics of my car in dfwdude's badge thread. He posted them today as I bought one of his White Star badges, which fits perfectly. You can judge yourself if the star grille fit looks that bad. He refers to me as Ari.
Interesting! I just looked at your pics and very well noticed the little gaps at the bottom and top. Indeed, it would drive me nuts, but it varies from person to person surely, in regards to whether it will, or how much it will bother someone.

Interesting as well about the "rattle foam". If I'm not mistaken, the star-grill has 3 pieces correct? I notice a little indent-cut at the top two corners, where I'm sure it isn't permanently attached, while the OEM grill is one solid piece. That is probably why they'd try and put some foam at the top and bottom?

I wonder if any aftermarket grill has the perfect fit of the stocker, or if you just unlickily picked the wrong brand.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
KA might be right!

I am close to finishing my first major round of modding, wheels/tires, brake caliper painting, lowering, tint, spoilers, AMG pedals, sorry no photo's yet but soon in the next week or so. After having read KA's comments on grills/star (he is obviously biased towards the traditional look and quality of the stock grill), I've looked at a lot of photo's of E350's, 550's, AMG's (like VIC55's AMG), I am thinking about keeping the stock sport MB grill (and Star), with the look of my silver/polished wheels they it blends very nice with my wheels and I think they are just a bit classyer on my car. The only problem is I have a few hundred invested in a grill and a few emblems (oh well).

I'm sure I'll get a few opinions when I post the photo's.

But the cool thing is we all personalize our car's the way we like, good luck with your grill painting, can't wait to see the results.

FTB

PS Thanks for your persistence KA!

Last edited by fromthebeginnin; 11-14-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol, I seem to be good at being persistent! No problem, glad to help.

If you already have the star grill though, you can always swap back and forth, and then you'll probably inevitably end up using whichever one you like best for the long haul!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
heard back form Vath......2700 for the grill and rear diffuser.......
gonna have to do it..........
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Damn! That's some coin. Fit and finish/quality better be SUPERB, expect nothing less!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
I actually like the aftermarket grille because there is a uniform gap all around the grille. See Arrie's Pic:-

Here is a pic of the actual MB grille:-

See how the top of the grille where it meet the hood has a gap? To me that reminds me of being "buck toothed" I prefer the symmetry of the aftermarket grille more than the "no gap" of the OEM grille. JMO guys.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I think you're reaching a bit there, but whatever convinces you.

In Arries other post (with both grilles side by side), I noticed even the top of the aftermarket grille seemed a bit more gapped than the OEM grille as well.

To me, that large gap at the bottom of the grille is unacceptable, and would drive me nuts. I was washing my car the other day, and was even focusing on how nice of a tight fit the grille is, very laser sharp.

Since the grille of the 212 is now attached to the bumper (M-B grilles have always been attached to the hood previously), there needs to be a little gap up there unfortunately. As the gap used to be at the bottom (where the grille would meet the bumper).
Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
Originally Posted by K-A
I think you're reaching a bit there, but whatever convinces you.
What convinced me was the airflow from the gaps. It gained 25hp just by having uniform gaps.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Haha. Pshh, more like an increase to that .25 drag coefficient! Lol.