Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about - Page 3 - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about >

Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010-present: E 350, E 550
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 55tech

Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about

 
Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E350
Here is one for the Nav newbies. It took me some time to figure it out...

Select the Navi option (center of the speedometer). This option will tell you how many miles to the final destination and to the next turn. The Navi on the main screen doesn't tell you the miles to the next turn - it pops up just before needed. I like knowing when the next turn is coming up.
BenzE350 is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM
  #52  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W163 ML430, W212 E550, R129 SL320
Originally Posted by BenzE350 View Post
Here is one for the Nav newbies. It took me some time to figure it out...

Select the Navi option (center of the speedometer). This option will tell you how many miles to the final destination and to the next turn. The Navi on the main screen doesn't tell you the miles to the next turn - it pops up just before needed. I like knowing when the next turn is coming up.
I noticed that today, and it's actually even better than just telling you how many miles til the next turn at each given instruction!

A hollow arrow appears and it fills in as the distance decreases! Similar to the parking guidance instructions. Hella cool.
GuyFawkes is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
  #53  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W163 ML430, W212 E550, R129 SL320
I just realized the rear wheel wells are made from like a stiff felt/cloth like material! Which makes it really easy to clean. Yes... I hand washed my car in sub-zero temperature. LOL
GuyFawkes is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 PM
  #54  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 ML550
I just noticed the other day that when I stomp on the gas pedal the car launches forward with a loud roar! I guess that's what the AMG on the back of the car does....
JY888 is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 PM
  #55  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,986
Thanked 661 Times in 640 Posts
'12 CLSAMG
Yes... I hand washed my car in sub-zero temperature. LOL

Guy Fawkes

lol man, I have been wanting to wash mine too but the weather isn't really
making it easy....I wish I knew someone with garage space to let me detail it...
even though it will get dirty again it's nice to know I made that effort....
and it's clean for a day..........

man, I need a garage
hyperion667 is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 03:25 PM
  #56  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2011 e350 wagon
Love this thread by the way...

Here's another one: when you press stop button and open the door, MB automatically puts it in park for you
e350wagon1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to e350wagon1 For This Useful Post:
fganter (02-14-2019)
Old 12-11-2010, 05:14 PM
  #57  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MB E250 Coupe CDI
Song Name

If you are listening to an iPod or memory card, but have the nav screen on the display, pushing the hash # key will overlay the song name.
Also if showing your song names on memory card and song name is not shown in full, the same key will display full name
Plang1 is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM
  #58  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,382
Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan
Warm water

Originally Posted by hyperion667 View Post
Yes... I hand washed my car in sub-zero temperature. LOL

Guy Fawkes

lol man, I have been wanting to wash mine too but the weather isn't really
making it easy....I wish I knew someone with garage space to let me detail it...
even though it will get dirty again it's nice to know I made that effort....
and it's clean for a day..........

man, I need a garage
Friend told me about this. Use warm water when it is cold. Helps a little.
El Cid is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 PM
  #59  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,382
Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan
Not very useful

Originally Posted by vinrun View Post
Mercedes gives you a $25 gift card to Sak's Fifth Avenue.
150 miles to nearest Saks and nothing available online for less than $50 plus shipping-and not interested in what they had anyway.
BTW, I'm sure Saks contributed the card, not MBUSA.
El Cid is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
  #60  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGTTV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Republic of California
Posts: 2,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by RNBRAD View Post
I thought the little air conditioner vent in the glove box was pretty neat for keeping your plugged in electronics cool and it's output is adjustable. Another thing I didn't know about till recently was the headlight squirters, though I'll never understand that feature. Also the headrests can be adjusted to cradle your head, and man those things are plush!!
Well let me help you understand them! They obviously no longer have a manual switch, but actually spray off the headlamps after every ten washes of the windshield...try it, guarantee it'll work
AMGTTV8 is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM
  #61  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,684
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by JY888 View Post
I just noticed the other day that when I stomp on the gas pedal the car launches forward with a loud roar! I guess that's what the AMG on the back of the car does....

Who the hell needs AMG?

I have been babying my E350 as I wanted to break it in very easily. Now I have around 1600 miles on it and have done full throttle start a couple of times. The first time I did it in S-mode the car literally scared me how fast it took off. Well, maybe not for the first 20 feet but as the engine revved up it really went...and I had the ESC ON.

BTW, does others have it displayed as ESC in the instrument cluster? Manual speaks about ESP but my car has it named as ESC (Electronic Stability Control instead of Electronic Stability Program).
Arrie is online now  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
  #62  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,986
Thanked 661 Times in 640 Posts
'12 CLSAMG
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
Who the hell needs AMG?

I have been babying my E350 as I wanted to break it in very easily. Now I have around 1600 miles on it and have done full throttle start a couple of times. The first time I did it in S-mode the car literally scared me how fast it took off. Well, maybe not for the first 20 feet but as the engine revved up it really went...and I had the ESC ON.

BTW, does others have it displayed as ESC in the instrument cluster? Manual speaks about ESP but my car has it named as ESC (Electronic Stability Control instead of Electronic Stability Program).
hehe, lol, I know what you mean about the S mode.....very quick.....much more fun than E.....I usually flip it to S while waiting at a light to get on the highway.....it's REALLY fun to dust EVERYONE at the on ramps, lol....
that reminds me.....I usually change modes while sitting still......that's the best way (for the car) right??
hyperion667 is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 PM
  #63  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,684
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by hyperion667 View Post
hehe, lol, I know what you mean about the S mode.....very quick.....much more fun than E.....I usually flip it to S while waiting at a light to get on the highway.....it's REALLY fun to dust EVERYONE at the on ramps, lol....
that reminds me.....I usually change modes while sitting
still......that's the best way (for the car) right??

It doesn't matter when you change the mode. The system is built to change gears accordingly. I change mine any time I feel so but interestingly, especially when there is a BMW or a Lexus next to me at lights, my finger somehow finds it's way to press that S- mode ON...
Arrie is online now  
Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
  #64  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,417
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
It wouldn't matter in any event. If the Bimmer was a 535 all you would see is the rear of the car. It will be next Fall before MB has a car that can keep up with the 535.
petee1997 is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 09:11 PM
  #65  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
LOL @ people racing E350 and 535i sleds.

Sure, 535i is faster, but we're talking mid-high 14's VS low-mid 14's. Neither is a race car, and either are quick enough to give someone not used to extravagant power, a feeling of satisfaction.

I test drove my car back to back with 550's, and the difference wasn't paramount, 'cause I never got around to even using a fraction of the power either motor delivers.
K-A is offline  
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
  #66  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,684
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Among some of the less well-known features on our W212's, I found these to be interesting:

The "HOLD" function. Where if you push down on the brake a second time, it holds the brakes.

Parking Guidance instructions. I suppose most people have figures this one out by now by asking what the little "P" under the coffee cup and lane assist icon mean, but after seeing it on the forum I went to try it out and it works!

Downloading music onto the harddrive.

Zagat Survey for restaurants. In the Navigation portion of command, if you look up POI's like restaurants, some of them actually have Restaurant Reviews if it has been included in the Zagat books. And the neat part is that even being in Canada, they list out even overseas restaurants in NYC etc.

I like that you can enter the numeric frequency of radio stations instead of using the error of the command knob. Or maybe I'm just a "knob" for finding this cool. lol

I would love to hear from others to see if they know of any other 'secret features'.

About the hold feature in my car it does not work from the second step on the brake, it works from the first one if you press the brake pedal fast enough and also deep enough but you don't need excessive force just need to be faster than normal braking speed on the pedal. If you just slow down to behind someone in the lights and just without lifting your foot give it a light but fast tap and the hold comes ON.

Discovered this function by chance, of course, as like so many others I don't want to read manuals too much.

The hold function is probably the same as the brake assist. With braking assist I mean a feature that helps to stop the car in panic situations. I heard or read somewhere that recearch has shown that people don't press brake pedal strong enough when they should be giving full braking force. By my understanding these cars have brake assist system which enables full braking force if you press brake pedal very fast and hard enough. This would be when you are about to hit someone in the rear, for example.

I now think hold function is just the same brake assist and if you keep your foot on the pedal until wheels stop spinning the system locks the brakes ON and puts the HOLD text on the dash.
Arrie is online now  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
  #67  
Junior Member
 
kepiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W164 ML300 4Matic, Prado 3.0 TDI
In Navi when goin into a long tunnel and satellite signals are lost - Navigation continues by the On Board Computer (OBC) calculating the speed of the wheels.
This is possible only when you don't have Video In Motion (VIM) or have the VIM turned off.
kepiting is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 AM
  #68  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MB E250 Coupe CDI
Originally Posted by kepiting View Post
In Navi when goin into a long tunnel and satellite signals are lost - Navigation continues by the On Board Computer (OBC) calculating the speed of the wheels.
This is possible only when you don't have Video In Motion (VIM) or have the VIM turned off.
I have a VIM unit (mods4cars) and still find in tunnels the nav works. I was surprised about this, The command unit must be getting another separate signal. I believe it uses speed from both back wheels so it cal calculate a turn.
Plang1 is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 AM
  #69  
Junior Member
 
kepiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W164 ML300 4Matic, Prado 3.0 TDI
Originally Posted by Plang1 View Post
I have a VIM unit (mods4cars) and still find in tunnels the nav works. I was surprised about this, The command unit must be getting another separate signal. I believe it uses speed from both back wheels so it cal calculate a turn.
Probably problem from my VIM unit!
kepiting is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM
  #70  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,684
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Plang1 View Post
I have a VIM unit (mods4cars) and still find in tunnels the nav works. I was surprised about this, The command unit must be getting another separate signal. I believe it uses speed from both back wheels so it cal calculate a turn.

In tunnels car position is calculated based on tire diameter. The map in NAVI knows where the tunnel starts and how long it is including the shape of the road. If you make a U-turn in a tunnel the system does not know it but continues to show you are advancing on the road in the tunnel as your routing was when you entered the tunnel. This will correct itself when you exit the tunnel.

This "follow the pre-programmed road" function can also be seen in normal driving in open. If you take a parallel road that is close to the navi routing currently in the display the NAVI still shows you driving on the road that is your route in NAVI screen. It will correct when these roads get far enough apart.
Arrie is online now  
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
  #71  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Tjdehya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 1,709
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2016 MB S550C4, 2016 BMW i8
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
In tunnels car position is calculated based on tire diameter. The map in NAVI knows where the tunnel starts and how long it is including the shape of the road. If you make a U-turn in a tunnel the system does not know it but continues to show you are advancing on the road in the tunnel as your routing was when you entered the tunnel. This will correct itself when you exit the tunnel.


I have not tried it in our cars, but if that is true then that is a VERY POOR implementation of the NAV. I have had in car NAVs in every car I have had since the 90's when they first appeared on the market. I used to install them myself.

They way they work when they lose the GPS signal is to use the speedometer and compass. That's it... Nothing special... So if you make a U-turn without a GPS signal... it knows.
I am positive that this is how the ones in our cars operate because that's pretty much how every aftermarket and factory built-in Nav works without a GPS signal.
Tjdehya is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
  #72  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
It doesn't matter when you change the mode. The system is built to change gears accordingly. I change mine any time I feel so but interestingly, especially when there is a BMW or a Lexus next to me at lights, my finger somehow finds it's way to press that S- mode ON...
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
Who the hell needs AMG?

I have been babying my E350 as I wanted to break it in very easily. Now I have around 1600 miles on it and have done full throttle start a couple of times. The first time I did it in S-mode the car literally scared me how fast it took off. Well, maybe not for the first 20 feet but as the engine revved up it really went...and I had the ESC ON.

BTW, does others have it displayed as ESC in the instrument cluster? Manual speaks about ESP but my car has it named as ESC (Electronic Stability Control instead of Electronic Stability Program).
"Who the hell needs AMG?" There is a big difference between an AMG and 350 .... Just look way ahead of you, they are very hard to see far in the distance https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/driving.gif
GeoE63 is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
  #73  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,684
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Tjdehya View Post


I have not tried it in our cars, but if that is true then that is a VERY POOR implementation of the NAV. I have had in car NAVs in every car I have had since the 90's when they first appeared on the market. I used to install them myself.

They way they work when they lose the GPS signal is to use the speedometer and compass. That's it... Nothing special... So if you make a U-turn without a GPS signal... it knows.
I am positive that this is how the ones in our cars operate because that's pretty much how every aftermarket and factory built-in Nav works without a GPS signal.

Lets hope I'm wrong and you are right.
Arrie is online now  
Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
150 miles to nearest Saks and nothing available online for less than $50 plus shipping-and not interested in what they had anyway.
BTW, I'm sure Saks contributed the card, not MBUSA.
I received my $25 Saks gift card yesterday. Admittedly it is difficult to find gifts for this price at Saks - but you can. I ordered Clinique moisterizor for men at Saks.com. You can use the coupon code "HOLIDAYS" for free shipping.

It was my day for freebies. I visited the Nespressso store on Newbury Street this afternoon and received a free $50 gift certiciate. I love espresso. Also received free validated parking - very helpful in Boston's back bay.
BenzE350 is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 PM
  #75  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 640
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by BenzE350 View Post
I received my $25 Saks gift card yesterday. Admittedly it is difficult to find gifts for this price at Saks - but you can. I ordered Clinique moisterizor for men at Saks.com. You can use the coupon code "HOLIDAYS" for free shipping.

It was my day for freebies. I visited the Nespressso store on Newbury Street this afternoon and received a free $50 gift certiciate. I love espresso. Also received free validated parking - very helpful in Boston's back bay.
I love Clinique moisterizor for men! I use it every day. Nothing else has the balance between non-greasy moisterizor and lasting all day! I'll have to search for my Saks gift card, but I am sure it's expired by now. Thanks for the heads up.

And I certainly miss Boston, especially this time of the year. Back Bay and Beacon Hill are the best this time of year.
ttoE550 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: