Cold Start Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE 4MATIC
Cold Start Question

Hi,
Its winter. Just wondering if everyone is having the same issue that I have.

I park outside when at work. So, at the end of the day, I just go in, start the car and drive off. I dont wait for it to 'warm up'. I have noticed a few things - good and bad.

1) The heater fan does not start blowing until temp gauge shows atleast 60. Maybe thats a good thing, because I do not want cold air blowing at me. In previous vehicle, I had to shut the fan off until it heated up. So thats nice. In the mean time, my heated seat is as loyal as it can be - works very fast.

2) Also, until it goes to about 60 degrees on the gauge, the car really struggles in getting to the next gear. RPM goes up, speed goes up, but it seems to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd. Life goes to normal when its all heated up.

So, one - does anyone have the same issue? If that is normal, then obviously, I need to wait until it heats up. If thats the case - is that what luxury is about? I dont even want to bring up (no) heated steering wheel.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Westwind
Hi,

I park outside when at work. So, at the end of the day, I just go in, start the car and drive off. I dont wait for it to 'warm up'. I have noticed a few things - good and bad.

1) The heater fan does not start blowing until temp gauge shows atleast 60. Maybe thats a good thing, because I do not want cold air blowing at me. In previous vehicle, I had to shut the fan off until it heated up. So thats nice. In the mean time, my heated seat is as loyal as it can be - works very fast.

2) Also, until it goes to about 60 degrees on the gauge, the car really struggles in getting to the next gear. RPM goes up, speed goes up, but it seems to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd. Life goes to normal when its all heated up.

So, one - does anyone have the same issue? If that is normal, then obviously, I need to wait until it heats up. If thats the case - is that what luxury is about? I dont even want to bring up (no) heated steering wheel.
1) You answered your own question.
2) you answered this question with question #1. Holding a lower gear/higher rpm helps warm the car up quicker.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM

2016 GLE 4MATIC
That logic makes sense. But isnt it almost 2011? Isnt this THE Mercedes-Benz? You shouldn't wait for your car to heat up...like a (Ford). Sorry. I did not mean to whine. Just wanted to know if I was an anomaly - whether I should get it checked out, or not.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Hi,

I have had the "cold start / hesitation" issue between the first 2 gear changes even when its "warm" outside. Here's what I know. Mercedes IS aware of this issue. It can happen to both the 350 and 550. It doesnt matter if you are in Sport or Economy mode. It only happens in Automatic...if you use the paddle shifters it WON'T happen. They took my car and added a software update a few months ago...worked great for 1 month...then it reverted back to its "shiftiness". With my car it only happens on the first gear change, after that its fine.
Hope this helps...and I hope they fix it soon!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Hi,
I dont even want to bring up (no) heated steering wheel.
I asking Santa for gloves this year.

Definitely missing the heated streering wheel.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W213, C238
Originally Posted by BenzE350
I asking Santa for gloves this year.

Definitely missing the heated streering wheel.
We Canadians are lucky - we got the heated steering wheel. It was very necessary this morning at -15*C.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 AM

2024 GLE350
I agree, a very nice and handy feature. I wish they could heat up the wipers as well, it is necessary in snowy days.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Originally Posted by Wig
We Canadians are lucky - we got the heated steering wheel. It was very necessary this morning at -15*C.
Being in the US I am very jealous of that feature. I put my hands under my thigh so the seat heater warms up my hand.

Re: Variation in the transmission mapping at different temperatures must be normal thing. Every automatic car I've owned, including my E, has behaved this way - specifically revving higher before gear changes when the engine is cold.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I am also very jealous since can't enjoy many nice features of my car becasue there is never cold.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
These are not issues. All Benzes (and almost every other modern car) does this.

1) Like you said; you do not want the car blowing cold air into the cabin so it is normal to wait until the engine warms up to have warm air be introduced into the cabin.

2) That is normal also. The transmission keeps gears longer to have the engine rev higher to produce more heat so that everything can warm up quicker and provide a smoother ride for you.