E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Returning a vehicle to the dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning a vehicle to the dealer?

We recently purchased a 2010 model E350 from the dealership and are regretting it. The car has faded trim pieces that the salesman did not tell us about until we were purchasing the car and he did not completely go over the car with us. We are concerned that since it is already having problems that we will have more problems with the car.

We literally purchased it under a week ago. Does anyone know if there is a buyback option or an option to change our minds? I know legally there always is a certain time period to do this. We live in Georgia for what it is worth.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
What do you mean having problems? I wouldn't call some faded trim pieces (wood by chance?) a problem or at least a reason to get rid of the car.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by zakiu
We recently purchased a 2010 model E350 from the dealership and are regretting it. The car has faded trim pieces that the salesman did not tell us about until we were purchasing the car and he did not completely go over the car with us. We are concerned that since it is already having problems that we will have more problems with the car.

We literally purchased it under a week ago. Does anyone know if there is a buyback option or an option to change our minds? I know legally there always is a certain time period to do this. We live in Georgia for what it is worth.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Yes, you can

I am not familiar with Georgia laws. I would expect you should be able to return, or re-negotiate the price. See if dealer will take the car back, if not seek legal help. You'll be surprised what a good attorney can do in this case.....
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
I am not familiar with Georgia laws. I would expect you should be able to return, or re-negotiate the price. See if dealer will take the car back, if not seek legal help. You'll be surprised what a good attorney can do in this case.....
A car is considered used as soon as you leave the lot, see the attached. It would be a low percentage if they took it back, if you believe you have been wronged and they won't/can't resolve the issue, as recommended you probably want to seek help. Good luck.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_re...rs_of_purchase

Last edited by fromthebeginnin; 12-10-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC

Are the faded trim pieces the only problem you are having? Bring the car into service and ask them to replace the faded trim pieces. This is hardly a problem worth returning a great car. Sorry to hear that the salesman didn't go over the car with you, maybe you can speak to a manager or another person at the dealership who can show you how to use the features.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:58 AM

2011 E550 Sport (traded), 2012 SLK 350; 2013 GL450 on order for OCT delivery
If the car has not been titled yet, the dealer can take it back and re-sell it as a new car. Once it is titled, it is a used car.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Is it your first car? Certainly MB dealers are not very honest and trying to sell car without providing good information. Some expereince will come after 3rd car.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Interested to know about what problems you're experiencing as well.

I'm assuming your speaking of wood trim being faded? Weirdly, this seems relatively common with the 212's. Easy to get that replaced under Warranty, if you make a fuss.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Actually I blame you for missing what you say are faded trim pieces. These are easilly and inexpensively replaced. I think you are having a major case of buyers remorse and are looking for any reason to return this car. On the other hand if you are that fussy perhaps you ought to buy a new one. That may give you an even larger case of buyers remorse.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
You "should" be able to return it within a certain time frame. I think here in Colorado it is almost two weeks if i recall. But not to sound like an ***, but it is your responsibility to completely look over a car you are buying rather than taking a salesman word for it. Never trust what they say. Good luck on getting it resolved.

Aaron
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
No Response

Two posts only, and no responses to the questions that have been asked in here. I don't know how real the problems are or how sincere the OP's request for help is, but...

My advice is to go to the dealer and talk to them first as a first step. In many states, you sign an arbitration clause, and while this may not be your only recourse ultimately, I think approaching the Dealer will get you further than not doing so.

If your problems are real, I sympathize with you and wish you the best in reaching resolve.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I think you are having buyer's remorse. Your problem is minor and easily fixed. I am not familiar with the laws of your state but if I were the dealer I would not take the car back. I'm assuming you are an adult and as such should live by your commitments.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/Georg...w-Statutes.htm
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
2.At the time of purchase, the new motor vehicle dealer shall provide the consumer with a written statement that explains the consumer's rights under this article. The statement shall be written by the administrator and shall contain information regarding the procedures and remedies under this article.

It looks like this information wasn't provided, so can can be returned just for sake of that.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM

E350 Coupe
It probably appeared somewhere in the stack of paperwork you sign when you buy a car. If Zakiu is like me when it comes to purchasing time I don't read all the paperwork I'm concerned with the price and financing and that's about it. I think that Zakiu needs to provide a few more details on exactly what he means by faded trim. I find it kind of odd that he's made a post, received several helpful replies but, has not posted any more info. I'm afraid Dema that your blanket statement that MB dealers are not honest is not true. I'm sure there are good one's and one's that might not be so good. My dealer provided a demo ride explained all the features individually to both my wife and myself set up our individual seating, mirrors, etc, provided the service manager's card and of course his card if I had any questions. Why did you lease an MB when every one of your posts demeans MB and sings the praises of other manufacturers.

Last edited by steelgrey; 12-11-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Zakiu:

I think you got into a sticky wicked that caught in the web of dissatisfied customers.
The Federal Law gives you 48 hours from the time you place an order, pay a deposit, or initiate the purchase of a vehicle, to change your mind and cancel the transaction for no reason. This places costs to you, or cancels your rights to cancel the operation without cause, when you took possession and the vehicle has been patented in your favor.

The Lemon Law takes then over for one year or 12,000 miles, to give you rights for having your vehicle repaired without cost to you, or replaced, to correct any manufacturing defect, misrepresentation/non-operation of features affecting the operation and/or cost of the vehicle, its merchantability, or lack of features expressly shown in writing on the sales invoice/contract. The key here is repaired or replaced, which means you must go to the warranty or sales dealer and present your problem, asking to satisfactorily solve it.

This does not include the lack of info received at the time of delivery, or condition of the car not to your satisfaction if it was sold "as is" (it is your duty to set your heat for the new car aside and not take possession until you are satisfied with the vehicle info and physical inspection).

Nevertheless, you purchased a great car so, go to the dealer, talk to the Service Manager, and list your complaints and questions. I am positive you will get all reasonable requests reasonably resolved.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by JoeVal
Zakiu:

I think you got into a sticky wicked that caught in the web of dissatisfied customers.
The Federal Law gives you 48 hours from the time you place an order, pay a deposit, or initiate the purchase of a vehicle, to change your mind and cancel the transaction for no reason. This places costs to you, or cancels your rights to cancel the operation without cause, when you took possession and the vehicle has been patented in your favor.

The Lemon Law takes then over for one year or 12,000 miles, to give you rights for having your vehicle repaired without cost to you, or replaced, to correct any manufacturing defect, misrepresentation/non-operation of features affecting the operation and/or cost of the vehicle, its merchantability, or lack of features expressly shown in writing on the sales invoice/contract. The key here is repaired or replaced, which means you must go to the warranty or sales dealer and present your problem, asking to satisfactorily solve it.

This does not include the lack of info received at the time of delivery, or condition of the car not to your satisfaction if it was sold "as is" (it is your duty to set your heat for the new car aside and not take possession until you are satisfied with the vehicle info and physical inspection).

Nevertheless, you purchased a great car so, go to the dealer, talk to the Service Manager, and list your complaints and questions. I am positive you will get all reasonable requests reasonably resolved.

Please don't say things like this and make it sound all encompassing. Not every where do these rules you cite apply. Maybe in your neck of the woods only.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Black W212 E550
5 to 1 they wouldn't take it back. I didn't read the whole link but I sincerely doubt the "lemon law" covers faded trim.

FTB
Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
How old are you? Were you under the impression that a $60,000.00 purchase is the same as buying a $20.00 sweater? You purchased an expensive car,you took delivery of an expensive car, and now you own an expensive car.
This car can never be sold as new again. It's like a virgin. Just because it wasn't good the first time, you can't get your virginity back. Once it's gone it's gone. Get the picture.....
Old 12-11-2010, 08:33 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I think this guy was just trolling.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Wait, then we have this:

Purchased a 2010 E350 this weekend. P1 Sport Package.

MSRP was something like $55100. We paid $46000. Discount of $9100.

I figure there was another $1k of room but was happy as it was since the November rebate was $1500.
So you got a ridiculous deal on a car, probably took whatever was left on the lot, and now that it's Used, you want to return it?

Man, either people have to be more appreciative of great deals, or M-B is doing this to themselves, by making jokes of their MSRP's by letting people practically steal their cars.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Regarding faded trim, I just read next thread, it looks like MB knows the problem and willing to replace all trim.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Please don't say things like this and make it sound all encompassing. Not every where do these rules you cite apply. Maybe in your neck of the woods only.
thanx to the goderator

wtf?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Out of Luck

Believe me, if you had the car more than 72 hours you are probably out of luck, unless you live in California. Probably out of luck anyway. BTW, MBUSA considers car purchases as between customer and dealer, not between MB and customer.
You could google Lemon Laws for your state if you think you have a lemon, but in the South, the laws tend to favor the manufacturers and make you go through a lot of hoops - and then you'll probably lose.
Take it to dealer for all defects. Regardless of what you saw or didn't see, it is a NEW car unless defects were noted on the sales document. Make sure you get copy of work order and it lists all your complaints.
Good luck and hopefully you will grow to like the car.

Last edited by El Cid; 12-12-2010 at 12:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Returning a vehicle to the dealer?