E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

OC 405-Speeders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500, 2010 E350, 2006 550i
OC 405-Speeders

Looks like our friendly Highway Patrol here in So Cal is being directed to make up for the state deficit. I noticed over the last two weeks, they have had cars pulled over on the 405 between Sand Canyon and Bristol pretty regularly.

I take my wife to work a few times a week and have seen them almost every trip. I had the liberty of meeting one of them in person last night as I exited at Bristol. Apparently he had just finished writing up someone when I came blasting through the Bristol exit of the 405. That short stretch is kind of fun to boost through and as I came around the bend, he was there. Fortunately since he just finished with someone else, there was no radar and after a stern reprimand, he let me go. Trust me, I deserved it and should know better.

The lesson here: dont speed and more importantly, dont speed in areas where there is a Highway Patrol sting going on.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
This is why I got the E350.

Nothing good can come out driving like a maniac on public roads (well, yes, adrenaline rush, still not worth the price).

Had I gotten the CLS55 AMG that I was cross-shopping, I could be in some trouble right now, no doubt. Or, I'd have a Lion that I wastefully tame into being a Kitten.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
Originally Posted by K-A
This is why I got the E350.

Nothing good can come out driving like a maniac on public roads (well, yes, adrenaline rush, still not worth the price).

Had I gotten the CLS55 AMG that I was cross-shopping, I could be in some trouble right now, no doubt. Or, I'd have a Lion that I wastefully tame into being a Kitten.

E350 to CLS55 is a pretty wide gap, why not look at the CLS550? I do agree about have the lion/kitten thing, that's why I didn't get the C63, but the E550 is a pretty good balance. When I had a C300, never worried about speeding or showing off as it is a capable car but nothing special. With the new E550, I have a constant urge to punch it and I'm sure our cash-strapped city/state would love to give me a hefty fine.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I actually drove a CLS550 back to back with my E, and I could have gotten the CLS for much cheaper (CPO).

I like the E's styling more, it felt more fit for me, and to be honest, the CLS didn't feel much faster.... Only because my driving style didn't really call for the extra power. Performance isn't high on my want-scale for this kind of car, I just need something effortless, and adequate, and smooth. I have a performance itch as well, but I like my performance cars to be loud, and "rougher".

Not to mention, I prefer the E's cabin architecture more, the seating position, the slightly airier windows, the more powerful and strong personality, etc. etc. And the W212 is a vastly better engineered and solid car than the W211 based CLS is.

I still like the CLS mostly though, but the E is more tailored for me (we'll see how the next CLS is).
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The E550 would have been perfect though, even though I'm weary about owning an Airmatic out of Warranty (if I did purchase the car after the Lease, that would apply).

Besides the added performance, a V8 Benz is the true proper Luxury feel, with the balanced V8 architecture, smoother sailing, and I LOVE V8 sounds. Although, it would just be a tease to me, as I would want to uncork the exhaust so much, but it would ixnay the whole reason I bought an E-Class to begin with.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Depending on when you got your car, if it was in the last 4-5 months, no way getting the CLS without at least a 20k discount as the new CLS looks very very nice inside and out, but of course, the first year CLS' are only designo so there will be a hefty premium (from what I heard).

I modded my E into a artic white with all black trim/wheels/grille etc. (will post pics soon). I have 2 small kids so this is the only way I can get into a "sports car".

SORRY, I know i'm off topic.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Can you post a pic of your car please?!

I decided to stay with the chrome OEM stuff on mine, as I really like that classy look, however I recently saw a White W212 with all black stuff (like yours), grille, etc. and the bottom-middle part of the front bumper blacked out (I've been thinking of doing that mod for so long), and it looked SICK!!!! It stood out like a demonic and aggressive Luxo beast. It got me rethinking my whole approach.

I think I'm gonna stick with my hybrid of "OEM w/ some blacked out cleanups" look, but maybe add the black wrap to the bottom of my front bumper, to really round it out.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:09 PM

that may have been me, I black vinyled the middle part of my front spoiler and I have the black glossy Lorinser grill and my star is painted glossy black. I also PC'd my OEM AMG 6 spoke wheels satin black, have a CF spoiler, tinted tails (like yours) and plasti-dipped my rear emblems. I just need to black out my window trim and tint the windows and then I am done (to my wife's relief). The one thing is that the chrome trim on the door handles need to stay, I don't like them blacked out and on a white car, they are not too noticeable.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

DUDE!! Your car is SICK!! It left a huge impression on me. I have been contemplating blacking out the front middle part of my bumper for months then thought it would look stupid. After seeing yours, I'm thinking about doing it again. I had been hoping to see a real life example with that part blacked out, and yours was what I needed to see. BTW, is it matte vinyl on the bumper?

However, cars are all about the theme and big picture. I wonder if mine would look as "complete" as yours, with a blacked out middle, and chrome grille. Right now, my car has a perfect balance, of slightly modded OEM look, which I like. Yours is fully imposing modded, which is sick, but a whole different theme.

Yeah, the rear of the car had a black (looking) spoiler, so that would make me think it's yours as well. I can't remember the tails, and windows though.

I didn't know it was a Lorinser grille actually. That might explain why it had an interesting twist to it that I couldn't quite pinpoint (I thought it might have just been the shade of black on the grille, but now it all makes sense). The front of your car looks very big, huge actually, and that made it look extra cool. The vinyl texture on the bumper, and paint quality on the grille were both noticeably very good, which added to the effect. Lots of black-theme cars tend to look "cheap" when done "cheaply".

Definitely keep the chrome handles. Black would look cheap IMO. Also, chrome is added with the P2 Package, and you know M-B charged you a pretty penny for them, so enjoy 'em.

Post pics when you can! Crazy, I was on the Internet trying to find pictures of that very car that I saw.

Last edited by K-A; 01-10-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
DUDE!! Your car is SICK!! It left a huge impression on me. I have been contemplating blacking out the front middle part of my bumper for months then thought it would look stupid. After seeing yours, I'm thinking about doing it again. I had been hoping to see a real life example with that part blacked out, and yours was what I needed to see. BTW, is it matte vinyl on the bumper?

However, cars are all about the theme and big picture. I wonder if mine would look as "complete" as yours, with a blacked out middle, and chrome grille. Right now, my car has a perfect balance, of slightly modded OEM look, which I like. Yours is fully imposing modded, which is sick, but a whole different theme.

Yeah, the rear of the car had a black (looking) spoiler, so that would make me think it's yours as well. I can't remember the tails, and windows though.

I didn't know it was a Lorinser grille actually. That might explain why it had an interesting twist to it that I couldn't quite pinpoint (I thought it might have just been the shade of black on the grille, but now it all makes sense). The front of your car looks very big, huge actually, and that made it look extra cool. The vinyl texture on the bumper, and paint quality on the grille were both noticeably very good, which added to the effect. Lots of black-theme cars tend to look "cheap" when done "cheaply".

Definitely keep the chrome handles. Black would look cheap IMO. Also, chrome is added with the P2 Package, and you know M-B charged you a pretty penny for them, so enjoy 'em.

Post pics when you can! Crazy, I was on the Internet trying to find pictures of that very car that I saw.

Yes, it is matte vinyl on the front spoiler. The grille is a Lorinser, it is a little different design, more sportier than the stock grille, a subtle difference in a good way I think.

Once you start with black trim/wheels etc, you kinda do have to go all the way (which was my issue with the door handle trim). I personally would not do anything else, your car looks real clean and nice as it is, unless you were to black out everything. The good thing is you can test out the look with some matte black vinyl or plasti-dip and it's all reversible and inexpensive. I did the front spoiler in about 30 mins.

I also got smoked sidemarkers and I plasti-dipped the side chrome door guards black.

Will post pics soon.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Very cool. Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I'm a big advocate on "themes" on cars, and I think mine is at a good balance. I think the rear tints, the windows, and the wrapped front markers give a slightly "black" theme, without going too crazy, and of course the Pano adds a great touch from the factory. I'm apprehensive with the bumper wrap for that very reason you mentioned, as I wonder if the look wouldn't be complete without starting to black out other stuff.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Hey K-A, posted some pics of my car in another thread. Yeah the pano roof is a nice option, especially on a white or silver car. Was going to black glossy wrap my roof but think it may be overkill now.