E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Help with mute problem/search

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Help with mute problem/search

There was a thread some time ago in this section about someone having trouble with their radio/CD not staying muted. I am now having this problem. I can be driving or stationary with the radio/CD muted, and suddenly it comes on. Did it 3 times today. I can rule out accidental bumping of the mute button.

No matter how I search, I cannot locate the thread. Does anyone have better search skills or perhaps remember the problem/resolution? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Are you leaving it muted for a long time? If I want the navigation on, but no audio, I just select an audio system I don't use and leave it on that. Has the same effect as muting, but without using the mute button.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by El Cid
Are you leaving it muted for a long time? If I want the navigation on, but no audio, I just select an audio system I don't use and leave it on that. Has the same effect as muting, but without using the mute button.
I think I understand what you are saying, but I've never needed special procedures before. Just hit mute, and it stays that way until I unmute or I do something to warrant unmuting (changing from radio to CD, etc.) But this is more like just driving down the road and suddenly the music comes on. It's done it 10-15 times, so I know it is not a fluke. Someone on this board also had this problem, but I can't find the thread.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
I am having same problem

My 2010 E350 does same. All of sudden radio comes on in mute situation.

Let me know what is fix. I guess command update.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by newyorker

I don't know a fix. Will probably take the car in for service sometime, but I'm guessing a service tech won't be able to verify. It's somewhat frustrating and embarrassing because I tend to listen to Paul Gilbert loud before muting, and suddenly with passengers aboard the sound system will without warning launch into one of his patented "terrifying shreds" at high volume. Unfortunately, my 4-year old daughter mimics me by screaming "Sh*t, why does it keep doing that?!" when it does.

I found the original thread, but it offers no real guidance.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...us-unmute.html
Old 04-10-2011, 01:46 AM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
I would recommend taking it back to the shop under your warranty. Sounds like something is out of whack. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
warranty!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by newyorker

Mine does the same thing. There's definitely some "uniformity" as to how it does it though, like something that has to do with frequency or something. I say this because I frequently go to a garage that has 2 underground levels, when I pull in, I always mute the stereo (it'll get fuzzy in there), when I get to the first lower-level, it stays muted.... However, the second I get to the second lower-level, it un-mutes itself. There''s some odd and technical reason it must do this.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Originally Posted by El Cid
Isn't mute just temporary (i.e. self-cancelling). I have not had mine long enough to find out.

El Cid: what do you do if you want to listen to the radio or CD player, but want the Navi instructions muted?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by rovermark
Isn't mute just temporary (i.e. self-cancelling). I have not had mine long enough to find out.

El Cid: what do you do if you want to listen to the radio or CD player, but want the Navi instructions muted?
Best part of the Mute button is to silence the NAV audible instructions. Just hit "mute" when Lucy starts to talk and she goes away, while not disrupting your tuneage.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
LOL, "Lucy".

I've called her way worse things than that. That babbling %&#@! tried to ruin some of my longer drives.... listening to a good jam, enjoying life in my nice whip, and then like a thunderous cloud of rain.... she opens her mouth, and turns down my music.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by K-A
LOL, "Lucy".

I've called her way worse things than that. That babbling %&#@! tried to ruin some of my longer drives.... listening to a good jam, enjoying life in my nice whip, and then like a thunderous cloud of rain.... she opens her mouth, and turns down my music.
I have always wondered about the popularity NAV systems for this very reason. Like there is a guy on the planet that is going to listen to yet another female. And, since when do we need directions anyhow. I do love being able to mute the NAV system.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 896 Likes on 645 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
Best part of the Mute button is to silence the NAV audible instructions. Just hit "mute" when Lucy starts to talk and she goes away, while not disrupting your tuneage.
It is not Lucy. It is Helga!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM

2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I have always wondered about the popularity NAV systems for this very reason. Like there is a guy on the planet that is going to listen to yet another female. And, since when do we need directions anyhow. I do love being able to mute the NAV system.
Not to hijack the thread, but to clarify: With the radio or CD on, and the Navi on, I hit "Mute" when the Navi voice starts to talk and the radio will stay on???
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 896 Likes on 645 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Not to hijack the thread, but to clarify: With the radio or CD on, and the Navi on, I hit "Mute" when the Navi voice starts to talk and the radio will stay on???
Yes.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 PM

2015 GL450
Related to DVD playback?

Until recently, I've left mute on for days without it self-canceling.

I've been thinking -- I had my car over a year before the spontaneous unmuting started. One thing I've done differently at about the same time it started was playing a DVD while waiting to pick up my daughter from school. The DVD is not in the changer any more, but the spontaneous unmute still happens. Did anyone else notice that the spontaneous unmute started after their first time to play a DVD? Or does anyone have the spontaneous unmute issue but yet has never played a DVD?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
I had started that thread quite some time back. I think my problem with the spontaneous unmute may have been fixed by MB.

I took it in with this complaint at my A service. They stated they could not replicate it and the problem presisted.

I again took it in at my B service and this time I gave them a video recording of it spontaneously unmuting. They were unable to replicate but stated they updated the COMMAND system to a 'newer' version in an effort to fix this issue. (I can post this video if it will help anyone w/ their dealer).

I was skeptical, but since then, it has not unmuted once and I am getting close to my next A service.

HOWEVER, I will be reassured if it doesn't occur this summer as I felt the frequency it unmuting was related to warm temperatures.

Originally Posted by ttoE550
There was a thread some time ago in this section about someone having trouble with their radio/CD not staying muted. I am now having this problem. I can be driving or stationary with the radio/CD muted, and suddenly it comes on. Did it 3 times today. I can rule out accidental bumping of the mute button.

No matter how I search, I cannot locate the thread. Does anyone have better search skills or perhaps remember the problem/resolution? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by MagicJack
I had started that thread quite some time back. I think my problem with the spontaneous unmute may have been fixed by MB.

I took it in with this complaint at my A service. They stated they could not replicate it and the problem presisted.

I again took it in at my B service and this time I gave them a video recording of it spontaneously unmuting. They were unable to replicate but stated they updated the COMMAND system to a 'newer' version in an effort to fix this issue. (I can post this video if it will help anyone w/ their dealer).

I was skeptical, but since then, it has not unmuted once and I am getting close to my next A service.

HOWEVER, I will be reassured if it doesn't occur this summer as I felt the frequency it unmuting was related to warm temperatures.

Thanks! I haven't noticed any correlation with the temperature - it does it all the time now. Frustrating.