E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Economic but safe way to lower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Economic but safe way to lower

I was just wondering if any owners out there with lowered cars could tell me the pros and cons on lowering with links. I don't want to spend the money for the renntech settup and I also don't want to re-flash the computer to lower. Don't have the cash for the renntech and in previous vehicles found that messing with the computer always leaves an incription trail, even though programs are uninstalled( my last 2 cummins diesel trucks). Are you able to use the raise and lower button still? Thanks for any advice
Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Damn, nobody uses links to lower on this forum.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I think most of the guys here used links to lower their car.
I used an ELM and I cant think of anyone that went the STAR route to lower their car.
Remember that W211 and C219 both have the same airmatic so you could search their forums to get more answers.
Good luck.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550
maybe because it's too new of a body...
I have asked the dealer to lower my car, but they won't do it. (didn't hurt to ask)
and also thought about the ELM, but afraid of that inscription trail you were talking about.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
What is this "inscription trail " you guys speak of?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W212, 1985 C10
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I think most of the guys here used links to lower their car.
I'm happy this subject just came up. How hard are the links to install. Are they a DIY?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:22 PM

In my previous 2 cummins diesel trucks I had downloaders on them(bullydog and edge), and when you leave them downloaded too long and try to remove and go back to stock it actually leaves some of the software incripted on your ecm. On my one truck it was so bad that after I removed the programmer, the ecm was so confused and the truck wouldn't shift properly. This particular download increased Hp and Tq, but also changed the line pressure in the tranny so it would shift more firmer. Tried numerous times to install and uninstall, but just left an incription. Traded that thing in asap...lol I am sure that lowering the car won't have any issues, but I don't want to have a warranty item come up and take my car to the dealer and have them tell me that because I fooled with my ecm that something isn't covered now. If the dealer really wanted to find something on the ecm that isn't stock, they could find it even if it is removed at the present time. Just like a hard drive on a computer. On another note, I have heard of people making their own lowereing links, anybody know how? I think you have to make the links shorter for the rear, and a little longer in the front to lower. Sorry such a long response.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Ctrl+alt+Elite
I'm happy this subject just came up. How hard are the links to install. Are they a DIY?
They can be DIY if you have the time and the tools/equipment.
I would not recommend that the average Joe install links themselves though. You can check youtube for various "how to" videos.
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
In my previous 2 cummins diesel trucks I had downloaders on them(bullydog and edge), and when you leave them downloaded too long and try to remove and go back to stock it actually leaves some of the software incripted on your ecm. On my one truck it was so bad that after I removed the programmer, the ecm was so confused and the truck wouldn't shift properly. This particular download increased Hp and Tq, but also changed the line pressure in the tranny so it would shift more firmer. Tried numerous times to install and uninstall, but just left an incription. Traded that thing in asap...lol I am sure that lowering the car won't have any issues, but I don't want to have a warranty item come up and take my car to the dealer and have them tell me that because I fooled with my ecm that something isn't covered now. If the dealer really wanted to find something on the ecm that isn't stock, they could find it even if it is removed at the present time. Just like a hard drive on a computer. On another note, I have heard of people making their own lowereing links, anybody know how? I think you have to make the links shorter for the rear, and a little longer in the front to lower. Sorry such a long response.
There is no such thing as an "inscription trail " with an ELM.
It has absolutely nothing to do with you ecm.
As for making your own links I think you should leave that for the people who buy used W211's for $20k and not put that crap or washers on a $70k W212.
Links are cheap enough. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Tjdehya; 05-20-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I am not sure of how the electronics work on the MB so I am in the process of researching. Yeah, I checked the prices, definitely cheap to buy. I thought they were more involved and also more expensive.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Hey guys, sorry to beat a dead horse about this topic, I just received my lowering links and going to install this week. Does anyone know how long the f/r links should be to get a 3/4"-1" drop?