E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 Diesel Wagon....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
2012 Diesel Wagon....?

Don't think a (W212) Diesel Wagon will be available in the US anytime soon.
The new BlueTech 3.0 V6 with 240HP and 4-Matic would be a perfect match for the wagon.

Been looking at the 2011 ML-350 with the diesel option but did not bond with it during a short test drive last week. (Heavy SUV, flimsy interior)
The 2012 ML Diesel looks promising with the new engine, new interior and standard 4-Matic, but the front is ugly as sin and I can never own or drive a car beaten with an ugly-stick....

Sooo, will the Diesel Wagon be imported to Canada or Mexico, and if so, is it a big deal driving one across the border and getting it registered in the US..?

Special order with MB-USA for a direct import from Germany?

(The only diesel wagon I can find in this country is the VW Jetta, a bit too small for my taste)
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600
Check diesel prices BEFORE you pull the trigger on a diesel powered anything. You might get slightly better fuel mileage BUT the diesel premium eats up your savings. Plus, when you're on the road, diesel isn't as easy to find as you might think and truck stops aren't the solution. If you get diesel fuel on you....good luck getting rid of the smell. I got rid of mine and went back to gas.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Check diesel prices BEFORE you pull the trigger on a diesel powered anything. You might get slightly better fuel mileage BUT the diesel premium eats up your savings.
Diesel prices in my town is about the same as premium gasoline, which my E-500 drinks to the tune of 15.8 mpg on average, so no sticker shock there.
A Diesel Wagon should should get 1/3 better milage for an annual saving of $760.00 per year or a car payment plus beer money...

If you get diesel fuel on you....good luck getting rid of the smell
Not a problem, I earned my bread in ship's engine rooms and got used to the smell..Also drove diesel taxi cabs and diesel trucks for a living and have a diesel engine in my sailboat, quite used to the stuff and kind of like it.

Too bad MB does not import W212 Diesel Wagons to the states, I would buy one in a flash..
Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by NorseWagon

Too bad MB does not import W212 Diesel Wagons to the states, I would buy one in a flash..
When you look at all the available models and options they get in the ROW, it's kinda sad what we end up with. Wagons are unpopular here and so is diesel, so it just makes for a bad combination in the US.

I'd love a C63 Estate as a utility car/track monster. Plus they look good. I wish they'd import those here, too.

The only thing that makes me hesitant about oil burners these days is the urea. It's not the cost or the every 10k refill thing, but the longevity of the system itself and on the exhaust system. The standard diesels were pretty bullet proof but now there's the urea system involved. Probably not a biggie in reality, but it's still another additional thing to think about, deal with, and maintain.

But I'd readily consider diesel in a truck or SUV. I'd want all that low end torque for off roading plus the fuel savings do make sense in a vehicle of that size and weight. I'm just yet not so convinced in a regular sedan or wagon, though.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Wagons are unpopular here and so is diesel, so it just makes for a bad combination in the US.
Yup, well aware of that, but hoping the tide would turn with better diesel engines and more expensive gasoline..

Looks like gas prices are falling right now so there is no incentive to buy diesel sedans or wagons, or to ditch that 13 mpg Explorer.

but it's still another additional thing to think about, deal with, and maintain.
The urea thingy could be a headace down the road, but I will not drive any MB without warranty so it will be MB's problem in the future, not mine.

But I'd readily consider diesel in a truck or SUV. I'd want all that low end torque for off roading plus the fuel savings do make sense in a vehicle of that size and weight. I'm just yet not so convinced in a regular sedan or wagon, though.
Yup, I have been looking at the ML Diesels, the 2011 and the 2012, but the new ones are butt-ugly whereas the Wagon is elegant and oozing class...Like Wagon owners.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by lfranklin
Check diesel prices BEFORE you pull the trigger on a diesel powered anything. You might get slightly better fuel mileage BUT the diesel premium eats up your savings. Plus, when you're on the road, diesel isn't as easy to find as you might think and truck stops aren't the solution. If you get diesel fuel on you....good luck getting rid of the smell. I got rid of mine and went back to gas.
Working with EPA highway mileage figures for comaprison my E Class diesel gets 37% better mileage than the gas powered V6.Diesel prices are within a few cents of Premium which,for a high end brand like Mercedes,is the only thing you can use to compare.Having driven more than 30K miles in a diesel....having traveled as far as 2,000 miles from home...I've *never* had trouble fueling a diesel and,although they're not a whole lot of fun,truck stops *are* OK to fuel up.And with care one needn't get diesel on them.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by lfranklin
I average 33.2 mpg since new (almost 17K mi.) and regularly exceed 40mpg on the highway. On all highway, I go over 700 miles on a tank. Diesel is much more economical, and, unlike BMW, MB does not charge an exhorbitant premium for the diesel. Worth every penny if you ask me. With my driving routine, the diesel paid for itself in the first 7 months, and based on my first 8 months, will reduce my monthly fuel bills by approx. $2800-$3200 per year (depending on fuel pricing). Don't be taken in the the price of the fuel at the pump, diesel is still far more economical.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Originally Posted by NorseWagon
Don't think a (W212) Diesel Wagon will be available in the US anytime soon.
The new BlueTech 3.0 V6 with 240HP and 4-Matic would be a perfect match for the wagon.

Been looking at the 2011 ML-350 with the diesel option but did not bond with it during a short test drive last week. (Heavy SUV, flimsy interior)
The 2012 ML Diesel looks promising with the new engine, new interior and standard 4-Matic, but the front is ugly as sin and I can never own or drive a car beaten with an ugly-stick....

Sooo, will the Diesel Wagon be imported to Canada or Mexico, and if so, is it a big deal driving one across the border and getting it registered in the US..?

Special order with MB-USA for a direct import from Germany?

(The only diesel wagon I can find in this country is the VW Jetta, a bit too small for my taste)

I doubt Canada will get the Diesel version. Demand is low for an expensive Estate. Most people would rather drive an M-Class diesel which is much much cheaper.

Even if it were available, do you know how much we pay for cars here? Even though the Canadian dollar is worth more than the U.S. Dollar, the Estate starts at $67,000. Mine cost $79,000 (before taxes). Are you prepared to buy one at that price and import it to the U.S. even if a diesel were available? I thought not.

addendum: on the other hand, I wish they would bring the C-class wagon in diesel. I would buy one tomorrow. Small, frugal, and economical to buy. I am surprised: Audi has their A4 Avant wagon, and BMW had the 3-series Touring, but no Mercedes C-Class Wagon? Why? Mercedes is loosing some sales for sure.

Last edited by rovermark; 06-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Mine cost $79,000 (before taxes). Are you prepared to buy one at that price and import it to the U.S. even if a diesel were available? I thought not.
out
Ha-Ha, ya are right, I would not.
I was thinking of importing without paying third country tax, like in transit..

My budget would be about $55K US, the price of an ML-350 Diesel, but that is perhaps optimsitic..