E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Install rear face car seat in backseat??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Install rear face car seat in backseat??

I RTFM but couldn't find a couple answers. In the E350, where is the safest place to install a rear facing car seat in the back seat - middle or side position behind passenger seat or does it matter? My E350 DOES have side curtain airbags so do that make a difference. The only issue I see with putting the car seat in the middle position is that it covers up the seat belt clamps for the seat on either side making it impossible to have anyone in the back seat with a seat belt on. I know most people with cars put them in the passenger side rear seat but I want to hear what others have to say and whether or not having side curtain airbags should be an issue.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Originally Posted by MCF
I RTFM but couldn't find a couple answers. In the E350, where is the safest place to install a rear facing car seat in the back seat - middle or side position behind passenger seat or does it matter? My E350 DOES have side curtain airbags so do that make a difference. The only issue I see with putting the car seat in the middle position is that it covers up the seat belt clamps for the seat on either side making it impossible to have anyone in the back seat with a seat belt on. I know most people with cars put them in the passenger side rear seat but I want to hear what others have to say and whether or not having side curtain airbags should be an issue.

Thanks!
Just from what I researched on the net, statistically it is safest to place a car seat in the middle of the car. The reasoning is because of any side impact that might occur (ie. if your car seat was located on the right side and someone smashed into the same side, there would be zero to little distance between the car seat and the damage.) My kids car seat is in the middle rear and I have no problems with other passengers using the seat belts in the rear.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Middle seat.

You can still buckle the side seat belts with some effort. Unless you are talking about an absolutely gigantic car seat.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by MCF

Thanks!
I'm glad you posted this. I have a car seat installed on the passenger right rear and totally forgot about the side airbag. Others are right, it should be instlled in the middle seat.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 PM
MCF

E350
When you are installing in middle seat are you using the seatbelt or latch system? IF you are using the latch system the 'brackets' are farther apart then if you are using the left or right seat. Any concerns?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 AM

E550 2010
Originally Posted by MCF
When you are installing in middle seat are you using the seatbelt or latch system? IF you are using the latch system the 'brackets' are farther apart then if you are using the left or right seat. Any concerns?
Use the latch system.
True that the latches are lateral to the belt buckle - this is the case in every car I've been in.

While this results in fumbling to get a seatbelt snapped when a childseat is installed in the middle position it has not been a significant problem. Be sure to get a seat protector to place the carseat upon so your leather does not get destroyed.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 AM

GLS450
Originally Posted by MagicJack
Use the latch system.
True that the latches are lateral to the belt buckle - this is the case in every car I've been in.

While this results in fumbling to get a seatbelt snapped when a childseat is installed in the middle position it has not been a significant problem. Be sure to get a seat protector to place the carseat upon so your leather does not get destroyed.
Can you forward a link to the seat protector? Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 PM

E550 2010
Originally Posted by jerome8283
Can you forward a link to the seat protector? Thanks
Wife bought it at buy buy baby. I don't have a link. I am sure they can be picked up at any large retail baby store.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:53 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
lol, I need a door protector from my little one; she loves abusing the knob, the window button and likes to stick her toes underneath the led's on the door! haha, it's only a matter of time before something fails back there....I don't even put her shoes on back there because she'll scuff everything up, lol.....

kids......gotta love 'em!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by hyperion667
lol, I need a door protector from my little one; she loves abusing the knob, the window button and likes to stick her toes underneath the led's on the door! haha, it's only a matter of time before something fails back there....I don't even put her shoes on back there because she'll scuff everything up, lol.....

kids......gotta love 'em!

I already have a seat protector to prevent scuff marks from my little one kicking the passenger side back seat. Now that I moved the car seat to the center she can now kick my drivers side as well.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 PM
MCF

E350
Driving around in our Impala loaner (car back in for 4th time for a dash rattle) I noticed that it has six latches for securing child seats in all three back seat positions. I know the E350 only has 4 and that one from the passenger side and one from the driver side can be used to secure a child seat in the rear of the back seat. I guess with the E350 you have to use the two outer positions and NOT the center position if you want to secure to child seats in the back?? I believe it is not recommended to share a latch for two car seats, correct (i.e. have a car seat in the passenger side back seat and one in the center position)?