E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Why haven't more of you opted for the Pano Roof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Why haven't more of you opted for the Pano Roof?

I think Pano is the single best option Mercedes offers on their cars. I will probably never own another car without it.

The openness it provides is invaluable in my opinion. Plus, not to mention the great overall look it provides to the exterior of the car. Finally, it's nice to have a larger opening when rolled back on a nice day.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e350 4matic, 2010 Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
I think Pano is the single best option Mercedes offers on their cars. I will probably never own another car without it.

The openness it provides is invaluable in my opinion. Plus, not to mention the great overall look it provides to the exterior of the car. Finally, it's nice to have a larger opening when rolled back on a nice day.
I agree, I really like that roof.
I tried to get one. But after my dealer searched for 2 days he couldn't come up with one in the color i wanted ( palladium ) with the AMG wheels.
( had 1 at 1 point but it sold out from under him before i could green light it )
so i 'settled' for 1 without.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tomshark
I agree, I really like that roof.
I tried to get one. But after my dealer searched for 2 days he couldn't come up with one in the color i wanted ( palladium ) with the AMG wheels.
( had 1 at 1 point but it sold out from under him before i could green light it )
so i 'settled' for 1 without.
Damn! Did you consider just ordering a car? Maybe do a national search? Your thread is what spawned mine about people passing on Pano.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 PM

2011 e350 4matic, 2010 Honda Pilot

Damn! Did you consider just ordering a car? Maybe do a national search? Your thread is what spawned mine about people passing on Pano.
Had i been a little quicker in my decision process the car i got would of been a clone of what i ultimately did get but with the Pano roof also.

I did consider ordering a 2012 but ultimately $ savings won out over exactly what i wanted this time.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I do not have the Pano. I have had loaners with the Pano and I agree that it is very nice. It does have a lot more that can go wrong with it though. For me, there is no substitute for a true convertible for open air driving. Even the Pano does not come close. For me, it would not be an option that would make my decision one way or another. It would somewhat depend on the exterior color too, as I think it dresses up a white car, but, does very little to a black car.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM

2010 E350 Sedan
+1 - Love the Pano....too hot in California most months to drive with it open....but always drive at night with it open....
Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ImInPA
I do not have the Pano. I have had loaners with the Pano and I agree that it is very nice. It does have a lot more that can go wrong with it though. For me, there is no substitute for a true convertible for open air driving. Even the Pano does not come close. For me, it would not be an option that would make my decision one way or another. It would somewhat depend on the exterior color too, as I think it dresses up a white car, but, does very little to a black car.
I am a huge convertible guy myself as I have owned several. However, I do not consider Pano to be anything of the sort. Understand what you mean though, there is no comparison.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
have not tried a pano.......nor have I sat in one.....
I just didn't think it would 'last' for the long haul...
'planning' on driving my 550 until the wheels fall off....haha....
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Had one, loved it, when I traded in for a newer one, they didn't have any Pano's available.

We all know the many pro's, here are the con's that I've found, now with a fixed roof car: Car feels tighter, car feels slightly noticeably lighter, no creaks when going over bumps/up driveways, no creaks forming that have to be "serviced" (lubed) by Dealer.

A special mention to the fact that the whole operating system on a Pano car is much more refined than the more noisy and crude operating system in the non Pano car. However, another plus for a non Pano car is how when opening the roof fully, you don't have that ugly look of the glass going OVER the roof, sticking out like a sore thumb, while having that frontal wind-buffering piece popping up in the front area of the roof.

My main issue with having a non Pano car was that I was missing that black-roof look, and since getting my roof wrapped, I don't miss Pano as much anymore. However, I would gladly take it back, and if I were to get an E again, I would want to get it back.

In closing, with some slight visual modifying, I can live without Pano. However, if it is up to me, I'd rather just have the Pano.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210

+1.

My kids love being able to look up into the sky when in the backseats.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Oh! That's another thing. Pano is amazing in the back, but you don't get the benefits of it (fully) in the front. It always bugged me that it was maybe costing me too much functionality at the expense of an experience that I don't fully get.

Still, I'll take the Pano anyday, but I can find many reasons to tell myself as to why I'm better off without it.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I have pano on my car but it does nothing for me. I would have preferred a car without it but the car in stock when I was buying came with it. I would just assume not have the extra weight and lower structural integrity. It also adds some degree of extra interior noise. I rarely have the shades open and wouldn't care if there was no sun roof as well. Now I must return to my coffin before the sun comes up!!! Regards. Ned.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 PM

2010 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I have pano on my car but it does nothing for me. I would have preferred a car without it but the car in stock when I was buying came with it. I would just assume not have the extra weight and lower structural integrity. It also adds some degree of extra interior noise. I rarely have the shades open and wouldn't care if there was no sun roof as well. Now I must return to my coffin before the sun comes up!!! Regards. Ned.
I actually haven't heard any noises from the Pano...have had the car for a year. But I've added a 12' sub and a 1000 watt amp to the HK system...so I probably couldn't tell anyways. LOL
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by SRPE350
I actually haven't heard any noises from the Pano...have had the car for a year. But I've added a 12' sub and a 1000 watt amp to the HK system...so I probably couldn't tell anyways. LOL
I can't say that I hear any specific noise, but glass is not very sound proof. The more glass, the higher the ambient noise. How did the sub install work? I have a super high end system in my 2001 e55(Zapco amps, Focal Utopias, Pioneer Premier, a pair of 12 inch Focal woofers). The bass is most definitely the weak point of the stereo, but mods can be tricky in these new integrated stereos. Regards. Ned.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM

2010 E350 Sedan
I can't say that I hear any specific noise, but glass is not very sound proof. The more glass, the higher the ambient noise. How did the sub install work? I have a super high end system in my 2001 e55(Zapco amps, Focal Utopias, Pioneer Premier, a pair of 12 inch Focal woofers). The bass is most definitely the weak point of the stereo, but mods can be tricky in these new integrated stereos. Regards. Ned.
It went good... Actually took out the HK 6x9 sub to create air space, and had a custom box built. At 60% amp power, it's more than enough base needed. I'm impressed...Alpine MRX M100 amp and one 12' SWR-1043D...and added a base controller right under the steering wheel. I actually looked at the focal polyglass subs, but stuck with Alpine.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM

It went good... Actually took out the HK 6x9 sub to create air space, and had a custom box built. At 60% amp power, it's more than enough base needed. I'm impressed...Alpine MRX M100 amp and one 12' SWR-1043D...and added a base controller right under the steering wheel. I actually looked at the focal polyglass subs, but stuck with Alpine.
How big is the box? Does it take up much of the trunk? Where did they mount the amp? Thanks. Ned.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 PM

2010 E350 Sedan
How big is the box? Does it take up much of the trunk? Where did they mount the amp? Thanks. Ned.
Box is good size and bolted to the metal strip behind the rear seats....had a compartment cut on the left side of trunk for the amp..here are a few pics (from my phone)...can still fit 2 sets of golf clubs, so it works for me!
Attached Thumbnails Why haven't more of you opted for the Pano Roof?-dscn0103.jpg   Why haven't more of you opted for the Pano Roof?-dscn0105.jpg   Why haven't more of you opted for the Pano Roof?-dscn0104.jpg  

Last edited by SRPE350; 08-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Box is good size and bolted to the metal strip behind the rear seats....had a compartment cut on the left side of trunk for the amp..here are a few pics (from my phone)...can still fit 2 sets of golf clubs, so it works for me!
Looks great!! Enjoy. Ned.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
I really like the Pano in my car - nice bright airy feel inside the cabin. The only thing I would like is to be able to close the screens independently. Sometimes the sun is too strong and shines in my kids's eye but it is okay for me in the front.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM
A C

2016 E350
Pano

Nice, but I'm not a big fan.

Yes, it looks nice and airy on the inside, but I don't like that you can't tilt open and still have it covered like the regular sunroof, plus it slides over the top of the car.

Don't know about structural differences, other stuff. Kids like it, I wouldn't order it again.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
When I bought my car, I needed to make a decision and purchase over a weekend as I had a covered carrier scheduled to take my weekend car to my other home and I had no time for a special order. I went to three dealerships and had trouble finding cars with the colors and options I wanted. I found Pano's on P1 equipped cars, but I wanted P2. The Bi-Xenon's and active curve were options I wanted more and considered the trunk closer as a bonus. It finally came down to two cars with P2 in white, one with wheel and accessory package and a few other options, one with Pano and P2, but wiithout wheel or accessory package. These were the best two equipped cars (in white) I could find at the time and price was pretty much the same. I selected the car without Pano, but with P2, accessory, 115V, wheel package, all the little iPod integration uprade accessories.

I love the way Pano looks on a car when closed, especially a white car, but don't like the way it looks open as it reminds me of a luggage rack between the roof panel and the wind screen pop up. No one sits in my back seat and I use my sunroof a lot. I had read here in early posts of rattles and creaking, but wansn't so sure how exagerated those complaints may have been. So, the most logical choice was the car with the equipment package I wanted more.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
interesting......seems most don't really dig it, or wouldn't get it again?
I have durabilty and longevity concerns too.......
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by golfster
When I bought my car, I needed to make a decision and purchase over a weekend as I had a covered carrier scheduled to take my weekend car to my other home and I had no time for a special order. I went to three dealerships and had trouble finding cars with the colors and options I wanted. I found Pano's on P1 equipped cars, but I wanted P2. The Bi-Xenon's and active curve were options I wanted more and considered the trunk closer as a bonus. It finally came down to two cars with P2 in white, one with wheel and accessory package and a few other options, one with Pano and P2, but wiithout wheel or accessory package. These were the best two equipped cars (in white) I could find at the time and price was pretty much the same. I selected the car without Pano, but with P2, accessory, 115V, wheel package, all the little iPod integration uprade accessories.

I love the way Pano looks on a car when closed, especially a white car, but don't like the way it looks open as it reminds me of a luggage rack between the roof panel and the wind screen pop up. No one sits in my back seat and I use my sunroof a lot. I had read here in early posts of rattles and creaking, but wansn't so sure how exagerated those complaints may have been. So, the most logical choice was the car with the equipment package I wanted more.
Now that is a well thought out decision!

PS - I lived in Pinehurst, NC for a while. Loved it there and still have a lot of family in Charlotte. Are you ready for Irene?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
interesting......seems most don't really dig it, or wouldn't get it again?
I have durabilty and longevity concerns too.......
Yes, very, which is why I proposed the question... But seriously I had no idea how great Pano was until I had it. My shade is open about 95% of the time and feel very closed in when it's not. I also get some form of compliment on my car when someone new gets in thanks to Pano. They are shocked at the look/feel and airiness it provides.

I do not understand the complaints however regarding the way the shade works. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
+1 Pano
I had an interesting conversation with another E350 owner last night. Met each other while parking in the same section of the lot. His car and mine were identical except for the Pano roof (and my EU folding mirrors - which he would have KILLED for).

In comparing the two he wished he had the Pano as I explained that after 28K miles, I have had zero issues and have no expectations that I will. Also, in the hot sun my car was NOT hotter than his sunroof equipped model with just the factory tinting. The 300D owner that then drove up, just kinda sat there and drooled

Off to get my new Mandrus Mannheim's tonight ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why haven't more of you opted for the Pano Roof?