E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

automatic opening/closing of windows/sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
automatic opening/closing of windows/sunroof

After reading thru many mercedes boards, I found that if I unlock the door (keyless) and pull the handle out a little, the windows go down and the sunroof opens to let some of the hot air out of the car. If I let go of the handle, the windows stop wherever they are...but if I hold it, they go all the way down. This can also be done by opening the door with the key button while pointing the key at the black square on the door handle.

So far, so good.....

What I can't find is how to close all the windows and sunroof once I've started the car and the A/C is going. Obviously, I can close each one, one by one....but I was hoping for something more elegant. It was suggested that pushing and holding the recirculate button would close all the windows and sunroof...doesn't work. Pushing and holding the max cool button doesn't work either. Am I missing something??

Just for completeness, if I leave the car and lock it with the key button (and hold it), again pointing towards the black square on the handle, it will close all the windows and sunroof...but there is no way I can find to close all the windows/sunroof without using the button on the key.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I don't think there's a universal close from inside the car, once it's running.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK320 Conv, 2007 CLK63 Conv, 2011 E350
I never understood why you need to point the key at the sensor to open the windows. Why not just hold down the unlock button on the remote.

Reason i say this is if I am going to be that close to the car, why wait for the windows to go down while i am outside the car. I might as well get in the car, start it and put the windows down......
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 AM

C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
I think it's because:

Hypothetically
It's raining, you are on your couch but within RF range of your car, your dog sits on your lap and accidentally and unknowingly press the unlock button for 5-6 seconds... Then go to bed... Next morning, you will curse MB for not having thought of this...
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 AM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Wack
I think it's because:

Hypothetically
It's raining, you are on your couch but within RF range of your car, your dog sits on your lap and accidentally and unknowingly press the unlock button for 5-6 seconds... Then go to bed... Next morning, you will curse MB for not having thought of this...
One can conjur up scenarios about what could happen....but many other car makers don't seem to have a problem in allowing you to open and close all your windows from a distance using RF. It certainly could be an option...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Infiniti M35
Originally Posted by ghstudio
One can conjur up scenarios about what could happen....but many other car makers don't seem to have a problem in allowing you to open and close all your windows from a distance using RF. It certainly could be an option...
On my Infiniti I'm able to OPEN all my windows (except sunroof) from a distance, but guess what? if I leave the car and lock it with the key button on remote or press black square button on the handle, it will lock the car with all the windows... stay OPEN.
Have to close each one, one by one, all 4 have auto feature but still. I think it all comes down to: If I could have that feature on this car than I would have a perfect car!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM

2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by Wack
I think it's because:

Hypothetically
One flaw with your hypothetical...would an MB owner leave their car parked outside instead of in the garage?
The following users liked this post:
Ph07 (01-16-2021)
Old 09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by mafialink
I never understood why you need to point the key at the sensor to open the windows. Why not just hold down the unlock button on the remote.

Reason i say this is if I am going to be that close to the car, why wait for the windows to go down while i am outside the car. I might as well get in the car, start it and put the windows down......

I think there probably are some patent issues in play. Audi has the convinience function in the remote. You just hold the open button and all windows drop open or close button to close them. No need to point the key to the car and it works from as far as the remote unlocks or locks the car.

We wait for number of years until patents run out and suddenly you don't need to point that remote on an MB either.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by Arrie
I think there probably are some patent issues in play. Audi has the convinience function in the remote. You just hold the open button and all windows drop open or close button to close them. No need to point the key to the car and it works from as far as the remote unlocks or locks the car.

We wait for number of years until patents run out and suddenly you don't need to point that remote on an MB either.
Personally I agree with the not accidentally setting it off argument for the close proximity requirement. I don't think Audi could have pattened a feature that operates at a specific distance.
BTW, not every M-B owner has a garage and many times it will be parked in a parking lot somewhere for hours.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Older models Mercedes allowed to close all windows and sunroof by holding down the recirculate button. I'm not sure when they started doing away with that. I'm happy as long as I can open and close the windows without entering the car.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Personally I agree with the not accidentally setting it off argument for the close proximity requirement. I don't think Audi could have pattened a feature that operates at a specific distance.
BTW, not every M-B owner has a garage and many times it will be parked in a parking lot somewhere for hours.

I think Audi or someone else could have patented the feature working with RF signal. RF signal has been used for many years, over patent life, for opening and closing the locks but to open windows it has not until someone did this feature first. I'm not sure if it was Audi but for sure it operates in some of their cars.

MB W212 use IR signal. That is why you have to aim it to that square IR receiver on the door handle.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
I think Audi or someone else could have patented the feature working with RF signal. RF signal has been used for many years, over patent life, for opening and closing the locks but to open windows it has not until someone did this feature first. I'm not sure if it was Audi but for sure it operates in some of their cars.

MB W212 use IR signal. That is why you have to aim it to that square IR receiver on the door handle.
Sorry, but the infiniti uses RF and it opens the windows remotely. Mercedes just has decided not to provide the function.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ghstudio
Sorry, but the infiniti uses RF and it opens the windows remotely. Mercedes just has decided not to provide the function.

You sure that is the case. What about Audi using the system under licence from Nissan or vice versa?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I'm not sure if there is some confusion about RF versus IR here but I believe you mean MB uses IR for controlling windows and the sunroof.

MB key operates on both, RF and IR and MB could have made the windows work via RF too, all the hardware is there, they have just decided that it is safer to restrict windows control to operate on IR only.

Intellectual property may be involved but I doubt they disabled RF for windows because of a licensing issue.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by Stick Girl
One flaw with your hypothetical...would an MB owner leave their car parked outside instead of in the garage?
I'm with you !!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
In any event, if MB had enabled this feature, I have no doubts that there would be a thread about soaked interiors and/or decapitations. Can't wait to read those...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 PM

11 E350 4M
Originally Posted by Stick Girl
Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

2003 CL600, CL2 Sport Package, Eurocharged / 2014 Jeep SRT / 2009 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 LS2
Automatic windows, sunroof, and door opening and closing not working

Hello Everyone,

I know this thread is not for my model car, but I wanted to re-post my message from the cl600 thread with the hope of getting some very needed information.

Hello All,

I hope this post is received with everyone doing great. I need informational help for my 2003 CL600. The drivers door can lock the car and close all open windows and the sun roof once you close the door and push and hold the button right beneath the door handle.

This button can also do the reverse and open the windows and sun roof when you engage it if you are holding the "keyless" go card. This option stopped working on my car. The "keyless" go card has a good battery and starts the car. Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed to correct this issue. I appreciate any suggestions.

Best regards,

Anthony
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
I don't think my car has this black box... Am I missing something here?