E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 sedan
Question exhaust

I wanted to get an xpipe intalled on my 2011 E350 sedan, but the guy at the shop said he can make an exhaust that is similar to the E63. Can any of you guys recommend which is better?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
are you going for sound? speed?
stick to what you want, unless you don't mind having someone mod your preference....
Old 10-01-2011, 08:51 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
In terms of sound or look?

Sound: No way it'll sound near an E63, unless you add 2 cylinders. IMO, if it's a V6, best bet is to keep those mufflers bottled up and quiet, especially on a Luxury Car (the sound it'll make will be unbefitting of this car).

Looks: Totally doable, If you want the E63 look, all you need are the two tips and the E63 diffuser.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK63 Black Series
Agree with the above completely. Speaking from experience, I just had my exhaust done this week. I wanted to keep the stock tips for the modern look. I ended up using a Lorinser exhaust system for a S550, and had the mufflers modified so I could keep the stock tips.

The resonator mod will be pointless on an E350. Trust me, another member and I have had it done on our e550s and didn't hear that big a difference. Modifying out the mufflers will probably end up with a much louder sound than you will like simply due to the V6.

The only thing with the exhaust tips, if you want the E63 look, is that you can't just buy the tips. They are welded onto the AMG mufflers. The E350 and E550 have their tips bolted into the bumper. You'd have to get custom tips made to look like the E63 and then have those welded on.

For a E350, I can guarantee you will not get the E63 sound quite easily. Your best bet would be to get the Remus exhaust system another member purchased on here (do a search).
Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
there isn't a stock diffuser for 63.....you'll have to shop AM......
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
Why would you put an exhaust on a sluggish 268BHP V6? - its a luxury ride. IMO would look and sound absurd. You cant make a 6 sound like an 8 - it will sound horrible

Save your money for a V8 not an exhaust.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
I have been reading this forum occasionally and it just amazes me what people want to do on an E class sedan. Why would you buy a car like this with the intent of modify it in any way. What is the typical profile on this site. I doubt it even comes close to the E Class profile MB designed this class of car for. My only conclusion is that a bunch of previous ricers or low riders that finally wanted an MB or they just have money they have no responsible thought of what to do with. I bought my wife an E550. However even though we like the car it just does look like the kind of car that any sort of modifications would enhance the original design MB probably put 5-6 years designing. But then again I have owned some sort of MB (s) for the past 13 years and buy them for the luxury, safety, innovation and reputation. My S65 is simply a car I bought because I could and the mix of what I've mentioned plus exceptional raw performance designed in at the AMG factory. I have owned it for 3 years and couldn't imagine defacing it with a modification that would detract from what the AMG folks intended the car to be. JMHO. I will continue to pop in and be amused at what people come up with next.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM

MB W212; NISSAN R35; BMW E60
3 things to consider when selecting someone to fab your exhaust system.

1. Does he have a TIG welder?
2. Does he have a mandrel bender?
3. Does he know what he's doing?

Chances are the answer to all 3 of the above is "no". I would never let an "exhaust shop" touch my hyundai tucson much less any of my other cars. To design an exhaust system is not cutting and welding up some pipe it requires at the very least basic exhaust flow calculations and a few dyno deltas. This was how it was back in the 1990's. Nowadays the guys on the leading edge of exhaust system mfg employ 3D scanning, flow modeling, and m Robotic CNC mandrel benders and welders. Of course the european tuner business was always a few steps behind - I used to cry at some of the exhausts I saw for european cars (like Dinan).

As for modifying MB I whole heartily disagree with Autobahn's comments - My E55 put down 440whp (compared to 380 stock) and it was a blast to drive minus the floaty suspension. I haven't really gotten down to the nitty gritty of the E350 but on paper it looks like it has very little potential. The new T/T E550 however looks like a good candidate to make some serious horsepower - probably give your S65 a run for its money straight line with some mods and definitely take it around the track. Frankly speaking I'm surprised at your feelings on the matter having paid the premium for the S65. After 3 years aren't you tired of high 11's yet? As with all things in life, 11's feels fast when you first get in then it just leaves you wanting more..
Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
Originally Posted by Autobahn-Maniac
I have been reading this forum occasionally and it just amazes me what people want to do on an E class sedan. Why would you buy a car like this with the intent of modify it in any way. What is the typical profile on this site. I doubt it even comes close to the E Class profile MB designed this class of car for. My only conclusion is that a bunch of previous ricers or low riders that finally wanted an MB or they just have money they have no responsible thought of what to do with. I bought my wife an E550. However even though we like the car it just does look like the kind of car that any sort of modifications would enhance the original design MB probably put 5-6 years designing. But then again I have owned some sort of MB (s) for the past 13 years and buy them for the luxury, safety, innovation and reputation. My S65 is simply a car I bought because I could and the mix of what I've mentioned plus exceptional raw performance designed in at the AMG factory. I have owned it for 3 years and couldn't imagine defacing it with a modification that would detract from what the AMG folks intended the car to be. JMHO. I will continue to pop in and be amused at what people come up with next.
I would disagree with this wholeheartedly... without "someone", namely Hans Aufrect and Erhard Melcher modding a W124 E class Mercedes to create the legendary "AMG Hammer" and creating such a buzz about their company AMG, MB and AMG may never have formed a partnership to create all the MB AMG cars we have now (of course it still would have happened to compete with BMW's M division). AMG must have chosen the E over another model for a good reason and the need to mod the E class continues. It's funny but on the BMW forums, any mods seem to get praise regardless of the model, I guess more enthusiats there.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Just go with open headers and side pipes.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
Originally Posted by park423
I would disagree with this wholeheartedly... without "someone", namely Hans Aufrect and Erhard Melcher modding a W124 E class Mercedes to create the legendary "AMG Hammer" and creating such a buzz about their company AMG, MB and AMG may never have formed a partnership to create all the MB AMG cars we have now (of course it still would have happened to compete with BMW's M division). AMG must have chosen the E over another model for a good reason and the need to mod the E class continues. It's funny but on the BMW forums, any mods seem to get praise regardless of the model, I guess more enthusiats there.
BMWs are for a hole different mind-set of car owners. Mods on BMWs and Porsches are probably a multi-billion dollar industry. MB has AMG and most that want a modded MB should be more than happy with what they produce. I certainly am. Wouldn't touch a thing on mine. But to each his own. The current E 212 just seems to be more of a stretch to Mod than previous E versions.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Autobahn-Maniac
BMWs are for a hole different mind-set of car owners. Mods on BMWs and Porsches are probably a multi-billion dollar industry. MB has AMG and most that want a modded MB should be more than happy with what they produce. I certainly am. Wouldn't touch a thing on mine. But to each his own. The current E 212 just seems to be more of a stretch to Mod than previous E versions.
The stock AMG cars do a great job of targeting their demographic - more mature vehicle enthusiasts that are looking for a very powerful daily driver but are much less likely to track the car. The AMG does a fine job of this, but for any OEM car a lot is left on the table to accommodate global variations in fuel quality, emissions control, environment, and especially comfort. Tuners such as Brabus, Renntech, etc. are able to compromise several of these aspects (and sometimes reliability) to extract more power from these vehicles.

The fun thing about forced induction cars such as the S65, E550, or the BMW 535 is that it is so damn easy to make power - a few adjustments to the boost map can yield over 15% more power without any additional modifications.

As for AMG owners, my personal experience is that a good number of the higher dollar AMG cars get modded especially the SLR, SLS, and the S65 - much more than say the M5, M6, X6-M, etc. But that's just my personal experience...
Old 10-04-2011, 02:23 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by michael10128
Why would you put an exhaust on a sluggish 268BHP V6? - its a luxury ride. IMO would look and sound absurd. You cant make a 6 sound like an 8 - it will sound horrible

I agree to an extent. Here's how I see it: If you get a 268 HP car because it's simply enough for you, and although you can afford for the higher HP model, it's a waste of money/not desirable/unnecessary to you, then you're clearly content with your choice. If you get a 268 HP V6 and throw a loud exhaust on there, or slam an E350 so low that you can't go over moderate driveway inclines, then it's kinda sad.... as it almost looks like you were forced into the wrong choice of car, and are trying to compensate. At least that would be the case with me personally.

As for Autobahns comment, I also halfway agree, for the same reasons as listed above. As far as aesthetics, I see no problem in nicely and tastefully enhancing the wonderful job done by M-B Designers. The W212 has so many characteristics, in stock form it can look very conservative and "businessman", but when spiced up, even very subtly, it can look super mean and imposing. The W211 for example, I think looks more funny with aggressive mods, as it's such an elegant and understated design, while the W212 looks a bit more aggressive-mod friendly.

However, I personally just don't get the idea of slamming an E-Class to the point of having to roll the fenders (makes me cringe) or giving it an exhaust that drones to hell at cruising speeds, or has wheels so big you can't hit even moderate potholes. Reason being, that it makes an E-Class almost a worthless choice. It's not the most powerful car in its price range, so if you want it to ride or sound like a Mustang, you might as well buy a Mustang, as you're actually getting a better car for your money (cheaper dollar, more HP per dollar, sportier ride per dollar). Basically, if you negate the Luxury factor of an E-Class, it becomes a pretty lousy car, because it doesn't give you the other aspects as well as other cars that are intended as sportier choices will, and now it won't be very luxurious either. Kind of like clipping its wings. I'm not against slamming, or loud exhausts AT ALL. I crave my old Mustang with a drop and *no mufflers* all the time, but just not on my E-Class.

But hey, irony is a desirable effect to lots of people (me included in many ways). I think some people see heavy modding to a Benz Sedan as kind of a trophy, a "because I can" effect. Like taking something pure/beautiful and tatting it up with graffiti. A "I can play the game but won't conform to the rules of it" kinda thing. People do that with themselves all the time, i.e you see a beautiful girl or handsome guy, but they put tats all over their faces or necks.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by michael10128

Actually the 3.5 V6 should have enough displacement to make it sound pretty good - a few decibels more than the E63. Drone is tunable - it's just that most exhaust manufacturers don't know how or won't spend the time.

The unfortunate reality is that combining sound tuning with power tuning on an exhaust system is very time-consuming. Probably no one will do it because the E350 market is just not there to justify a return on investment.

Now if it was easy to cross-over an 2012 E550 exhaust then that might be more attractive to a manufacturer. I could see this exhaust in stainless costing about $450 to manufacture with a retail price of $1299 - but the market place would need to be able to absorb 250 units or it'll get real expensive on the retail side....
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not begrudge anyone modifying their vehicles to make them sound more like a mustang or camaro. It is my understanding that modern engines are tuned pretty well from the factory. Without remapping the ECU or doing serious engine mods, performance will not be significantly impacted either up or down with such things as x-pipes, mufflers, etc. Even larger down-pipes with no cats or mufflers will not yield more than a few hp at best. The type of mod the OP is seeking is strictly for aural gratification.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 & s212
modding is a hobby. i spent over 10k modding my w212 so far and i'm not done yet. its pretty much the same reasons why we all dress differently and cut our hair differently. not all people with income 100k look the same. its our individual style. sorry but i dont like driving a car that looks identical to another hundred cars on the road.

at the same time....doing it tastefully is important

K-A's last paragraph above says it all
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 & s212
Originally Posted by park423
It's funny but on the BMW forums, any mods seem to get praise regardless of the model, I guess more enthusiats there.
when i had my w203, there seemed to be a lot more enthusiats there. don't know what happened to this section. i started going on car forums for mod purposes and enjoy the hobby but pretty disappointed with what it has become here.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Originally Posted by c2xbenzo
when i had my w203, there seemed to be a lot more enthusiats there. don't know what happened to this section. i started going on car forums for mod purposes and enjoy the hobby but pretty disappointed with what it has become here.
Sorry to disappoint but it's not this forum or the members of this forum that is the problem.

2 main reasons to your problem...

1. Maybe if the W212 was as cheap pricewise as a W203, you would probably find younger people driving it, as the younger generation tends to mod more than the older generation.

2. Maybe if the W212 was 11 years old as is the W203, you might find more people modding it as there are more products available for it, as the W212 has only been out now for what... less than 3 years?

I'm all for modding. Love to see modded out cars. Especially if it is the same car I drive. Problem is #1 and #2 above...

Had a modded VW Scirroco, Acura Integra, W210, BMW 550, Mustang GT, W211, and now have my modded W212.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Actually the reason there's no support for the W212 is the demographics. The car is targeted towards older customers that are looking for a performance vehicle second. Vehicle cost really isn't the issue take the GTR or the Z06 for instance - I would say more than half are modified - many with tens of thousands spent. A lot of these cars are actually the beater / toy cars for Ferrari / Lambo owners who are afraid to mod their exotics. There's tons of parts for these cars despite a much much smaller monthly production. I doubt the situation will improve over time - if a tuner doesn't spring to develop the components when the car is new chances are no components will be available when the car is older.

It's probably true there's not much power to be made on the W212 - this doesn't really come from tuning from the factory as much as the modern vehicle is so tightly regulated by the engine management system that traditional modifications (allowing the car to inhale/exhale better) isn't yielding much gains.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Another thing that I think might hold back the aftermarket base for the W212 is that M-B made it so much sportier, more "modified" from the factory for the U.S this time around. Base W211's and W210's looked extremely conservative and emotionless, while their respective AMG Sport Packs spruced the cars up to look like entirely different cars.

The W212 comes out with an AMG Package (largely considered to be the best and most well Designed aggressive look for a Benz while keeping the dignity and class intact.... Just look at how poorly executed aftermarket kits are for these cars) as standard, and you get 18's, with the option of AMG 18's stock. No doubt that takes a lot of the "halfway modders" out of the equation, leaving heavier (more $$$$) modding only for the more hardcore modders.

"Back in the day" (talking like a few years ago), E's came standard with 16's and a ride height so high you could stick your head in that wheel well. The Sport Package on the W212 already comes with a lowered suspension as well. Sure, you could slam it some more, but unless you're a total purist in the lowered suspensions sense, the base Sport cars stance is already pretty tight and aggressive, and the ride is already compromised more than enough due to that already to most drivers.

Last edited by K-A; 10-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There truly is no real market for 3rd party mfgs. If you took every member on this forum and all other E class forums combined, it would not represent a full percentage point of the E class market or sales out there. The average E class buyer is not on these forums. He is not likely to buy wings, fins, wheels, exhausts, mufflers, performance chips, window tint, VIM, different grills, different emblems, springs, shocks, brakes, badge removal, or, HID kits. The average E buyer buys the E he likes, equipped from the factory with the desired options/accessories, chooses the preferred color, drives away, and has the vehicle serviced until it is traded in or sold. For the guys really serious about wanting a modded E, MB has your AMG E63 waiting for your order.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Indeed. Seeing tinted windows on an E-Class on the roads is incredibly rare. And that's one of the best parts about the car. It has a respectable and conservative road presence, not all "riced out" or whatever all over the place, diminishing its value. Then, for those of us who like to "Mod" our cars, it makes the effect tenfold, and they stand out more amid the packs of E-Classes, and just look a whole lot more extraverted.

My own car doesn't have more than some color play here and there, with the higher factory Options included, and I can say that it really stands out in person, definitely doesn't come across as your average E-Class.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
I suspect there is a similar debate going on a mini-van forum somewhere.

Modding isn't new and it certainly isn't exclusive to today's "younger generation." From street rods to hot rods and well before, modding has been around yet with many modding fads that have passed while others continue. Examples: Jacking up the rear of muscle cars has now given way to the lowering trend. Hood scoops of past have given way to body kits, appearance packages and roof and trunk spoilers, and the old Hurst shifters have evolved into the modern column shifter on the E-class . A few mods go full circle and later reappear as the new, hot trend years later. Who knows, maybe wide whitewalls and curb feelers are soon to return.

I think modding is like most other fads. People either grow bored with it, grow out of it or continue, based on their personal desires. Others may have the desire yet find the car they purchased has very little in the way of tuner support and/or mod selection.

Now if I could just figure out what's under the hood of that lowered, debadged mini-van with the body kit that passed me this morning on my way to work.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
So how do I make my 5.5L V8 sound like a 6.2L V8 in the E63. Eisenmann, Supersprint, straight exhaust pull from E63?

The W212 forum is not mod friendly or the older demographic are not mod friendly. haha

BTW, back to the OP's question. The X-pipe mod even on the V8 engine has proven to be slightly muted.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Take the mufflers off and weld in straight pipes (or simple resonators) in place of them, and you'll have the cheapest and most effective exhaust out there.

That setup on an E550 will make stock E63's whimper to their owners in auditory shame.