E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

altimeter question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e350 4matic, 2010 Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by listerone
I don't have the new Comand and I have an altimeter.It's under the compass function (can't recall exact details at the moment).However,even though I don't have the 4.5 I think I have some kind of intermediate step-up version.My Bluetec's a February 2011 build.
Ahh, I found it now. I have the Altimeter, Compass and the steering wheel angle as well. Did not need to go to Engineering to turn it on.
Maybe it comes preset on with a 4matic?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomshark
Ahh, I found it now. I have the Altimeter, Compass and the steering wheel angle as well. Did not need to go to Engineering to turn it on.
Maybe it comes preset on with a 4matic?
My car doesn't have 4Matic and it has the Steering Angle Display enabled by default.

Does your car (2012 model, I assume?) have the Active Curve Illumination headlamps or Parktronic with Parking Guidance? I wonder if the Steering Angle Display is enabled by factory ties to certain options that came with the vehicle?

Regards,
Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e350 4matic, 2010 Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
My car doesn't have 4Matic and it has the Steering Angle Display enabled by default.

Does your car (2012 model, I assume?) have the Active Curve Illumination headlamps or Parktronic with Parking Guidance? I wonder if the Steering Angle Display is enabled by factory ties to certain options that came with the vehicle?

Regards,
No, mine is actually a 2011 and i do not have any of those options.
must be somewhat random what is enabled.
I have a 3/11 build, It also came with BT enabled as well in fact looking thru the engineering menu last night it seems everything that i could possible use has already been enabled.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
I believe Mercedes uses different types of steering in their cars...The bluetec has different steering then the gas versions ... the AWD may have even another type of steering. That might be the common thread as to why some show the steering angle and some don't.

I have a 2011 bluetec with comand 4.5 and I don't see steering angle...but I haven't taken the time yet to make that change in the engineeering menus.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 895 Likes on 644 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by ghstudio
I believe Mercedes uses different types of steering in their cars...The bluetec has different steering then the gas versions ... the AWD may have even another type of steering. That might be the common thread as to why some show the steering angle and some don't.

I have a 2011 bluetec with comand 4.5 and I don't see steering angle...but I haven't taken the time yet to make that change in the engineeering menus.

How about if the steering angle existing in some cars is related to the lights in the front. I have Bi-Xenon lights that turn when I drive thru a curve. The steering angle signal, which is displayed on my compass page, is needed for the control of the turning light.

So, how many of you guys that have steering angle displayed on the compass display also have the Bi-Xenon lights, i.e. P2 package car?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Arrie
How about if the steering angle existing in some cars is related to the lights in the front. I have Bi-Xenon lights that turn when I drive thru a curve. The steering angle signal, which is displayed on my compass page, is needed for the control of the turning light.

So, how many of you guys that have steering angle displayed on the compass display also have the Bi-Xenon lights, i.e. P2 package car?
I have P2 on a 2011 bluetec with comand 4.5......The steering angle doesn't show.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
2011 E550, January, P2, no COMAND updates.

I have altimeter and steering angle on the NAV "Compass" display.

All that said, the altimeter reads in 100 foot increments, and it is ~fairly~ accurate. GPS altitude is relatively inaccurate in consumer level devices --- it's a really difficult thing to do with a limited number of satellites. But using 100 foot increments covers a lot of sins.

And the two-letter compass heading display, rather than posting degrees (except on the almost illegible compass rose) suggests they aren't too sure about the accuracy of the compass, either.

(I might add, it also displays the number of satellites being received.)

Not complaining -- who needs that stuff to any degree of accuracy, anyway.

Last edited by Live Oak; 11-04-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
I went into engineering mode today and changed the compass to SUV. Now I have steering angle on my 2011 bluetec with P2. The altitude display also changed to a different format, but I'm at sea level, so it's not exactly useful info. I wonder why there is a different compass setting for SUV and non SUV...seems silly, but since there is a difference, I wonder why they don't just set all comand 4.5's to SUV mode. Oh well...now I have steering angle...not sure if that's useful info, but I have it.