Yet Another Bluetooth Rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350
Yet Another Bluetooth Rant

Hi Guys,

I have read dozens of postings and my head is spinning. I have a Motorola Photon 4G and the latest MB Puck on my E350. It pairs perfectly, makes and receives calls fine. The problem with the phone book is that it downloads the numbers only. Is this a common problem for Android or do Blackberry's or IPhone's have the same problem? Having the numbers only really don't help me much. Again, I have read threads and I'm posting only because my phone is new and I just could not find my answer. - Thanks!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
I have Iphone 4...the names from my contact lists are all on the display screen....voice activated search is by the name.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
It is a common problem with the MB branded puck to have various compatibility issues with phones. The newer the phones, the more probability. The Viseeo MB2 puck we distribute to clients and dealers escapes most all these problems. Compatibility issues are rarely reported, and it can be software updated when things do crop up.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 PM

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Have you guys had the problem with when you call someone, the number is in your contacts but when you call the number it reads "Unknown"?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by C63BlackSeries!
Have you guys had the problem with when you call someone, the number is in your contacts but when you call the number it reads "Unknown"?
I have that exact problem at some times...other times, the phone works as it should. I spoke with mercedes HQ and they are aware of a problem with Iphones using IOS 5...they say it's an iphone problem (what a shock). No idea if/when it will be fixed but at least MB is aware of the problem.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Trek Bike
New phones don't have issues

Originally Posted by Cartronics
It is a common problem with the MB branded puck to have various compatibility issues with phones. The newer the phones, the more probability. The Viseeo MB2 puck we distribute to clients and dealers escapes most all these problems. Compatibility issues are rarely reported, and it can be software updated when things do crop up.
Contrary to this my 2010 C and 2011 E paired with the latest iPhone 4s with no issues
Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 AM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by Cartronics
I am amazed at how automotive manufacturers tout their "advances" and they pretty much suck - no matter what car maker. I have dealt quite a bit in telematics and it never gets better. The fact we have to use VooDoo to get stuff to work p****s me off. It helps the economy though, aftermarket companies typically outshine automakers.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ghstudio
I have that exact problem at some times...other times, the phone works as it should. I spoke with mercedes HQ and they are aware of a problem with Iphones using IOS 5...they say it's an iphone problem (what a shock). No idea if/when it will be fixed but at least MB is aware of the problem.

WOW!! a post where you didn't mention the 4.5 command in your car!!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by hyperion667
WOW!! a post where you didn't mention the 4.5 command in your car!!
The reason I mention 4.5 is because if I have a problem, or if something works for me on my car, just saying 2011 e doesn't tell you if you should experience the same thing. There are two different comand systems or at least programming levels...in the 2011 e's...and what works on one doesn't necessarily work on the other. It's a bit like talking about your tires and not mentioning that you have run flats, etc.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
aw, just kidding around you know?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 PM

2007 E350
I think one one things I have put together and you probably know is that Android Gingerbread ruined the phone-book functionality. On phones that had pre-Gingerbread it mostly worked and stopped after the OS upgrade.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:41 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by WileCoyote
I think one one things I have put together and you probably know is that Android Gingerbread ruined the phone-book functionality. On phones that had pre-Gingerbread it mostly worked and stopped after the OS upgrade.
You're saying that the phone book in a comand equipped car will not work with version 2.3.x??? Tell me more because I am about to buy a motorola Razr or Bold and they both have that OS...and I obviously want it to work with my 2011 e.

Last edited by ghstudio; 11-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:07 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by ghstudio
You're saying that the phone book in a comand equipped car will not work with version 2.3.x??? Tell me more because I am about to buy a motorola Razr or Bold and they both have that OS...and I obviously want it to work with my 2011 e.
For a certainanty no; I have however read on a few forums that other bluetooth systems are having this problem with Gingerbread as well. I don't want to steer you away from something you want to purchase. I wouldn't let the this problem prevent me from getting a phone but it's a real pain in the pooper. I may give Cartronics a try.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

While I have not personally tested those phones.... I can say that we have had zero complaints. So the MB2 does have a 30 day money back guarantee (packaging and unit kept as new). So its a no risk try. We have had about 3 MB2 returned for dissatisfaction in the last 4 years. Nice track record!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM

2011 E350 Bluetec
I have/used so far, iPhone 4 with ios 5, new Blackberry Bold with os 7, Motorola Photon 4G, and HTC Incredible with my Bluetooth system and have never had any issues regarding phonebook transfers, recent call history transfers, and/or dialing a contact using voice control.

One issue with Photon I've had was using visual voicemail to listen to your message, it transfers to Bluetooth sound system but never actually plays any sound to listen to your voicemail. It's pretty annoying when you have to disconnect for a minute to listen to your call. My iPhone never had any issues playing them right through the Bluetooth system.

I'm about to purchase the newest HTC Android with Verizon for my husband so we will see how that one works out.

Any new operating system that comes out, I usually always get my hands on them, thanks to my job.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
You really shouldn't be beating up the car manufacturers for this. The problem is that virtually ALL car manufacturers adhere quite closely to the bluetooth standards, but the phone manufacturers don't.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by SophiesMom
I have/used so far, iPhone 4 with ios 5, new Blackberry Bold with os 7, Motorola Photon 4G, and HTC Incredible with my Bluetooth system and have never had any issues regarding phonebook transfers, recent call history transfers, and/or dialing a contact using voice control.

Any new operating system that comes out, I usually always get my hands on them, thanks to my job.
Yours is probably ok because of the year model. I think I'm stuck with a limited functionality "Puck" Ha Ha

Anyone want to buy a B67876131? I'll take any reasonable offers.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by CEB
You really shouldn't be beating up the car manufacturers for this. The problem is that virtually ALL car manufacturers adhere quite closely to the bluetooth standards, but the phone manufacturers don't.
I partially agree with you on this. I have a 2005 Jaguar S-Type R that I decided not to put Bluetooth in. $1500 option. Like MB, Jaguars list of supported phones could be written on a napkin. It just wasn't worth it. I followed a few tips and tricks with the current puck and some of the negative outcomes surprised me. I guess it doesn't matter. It just doesn't work, I doubt there will ever be another puck from MB and I'll probably get a Cartronics. Making these devices "Flashable" would be a nice feature. It reminds me of my old 2001 Lexus LS430 with Lexus Link. Once the cellular services stopped it became worthless and Lexus said "Oh well".
Old 11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by WileCoyote
I partially agree with you on this. I have a 2005 Jaguar S-Type R that I decided not to put Bluetooth in. $1500 option. Like MB, Jaguars list of supported phones could be written on a napkin. It just wasn't worth it. I followed a few tips and tricks with the current puck and some of the negative outcomes surprised me. I guess it doesn't matter. It just doesn't work, I doubt there will ever be another puck from MB and I'll probably get a Cartronics. Making these devices "Flashable" would be a nice feature. It reminds me of my old 2001 Lexus LS430 with Lexus Link. Once the cellular services stopped it became worthless and Lexus said "Oh well".
But again the problem is the phone manufacturer. The "supported" phone list isn't necessarily the last word either. I've had many cars where the "unsupported" phone worked just fine. It is a crap shoot and every time the phone manufacturers come up with an update they break something.

There really isn't anything on our cars to update (unless you go from BT 2.1 to 3.0) because our cars already conform to the standards. Should we downgrade our car's software to conform to Apple devices? Blackberries? Nokia?

BTW, Car manufacturers and Blackberry (RIM) are the only ones even trying to adhere to the BT standards. Some car manufacturers have given up (Lexus/Toyota/Acura/Honda) and write their software for the most popular phones out there. The problem then is that everytime a new phone comes out (or a new iOS) the car needs a new update.

I prefer what BMW, MB and Audi are doing - sticking to the standards.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Had to jump in here.... Apple and RIM both strictly follow the standards (I am a programmer on iOS, Android, and BB). Most Androids do not follow the standard. MERCEDES DOES NOT follow the standard on most of the Pre-2012 cars. It is one of the main factors to our success actually. Our products DO follow the standard and many people prefer them over the MB branded pucks and such, which DO NOT follow the standard (not even close in some cases).
Audi does a good job following, BMW is only fair, Porsche is almost nonexistent. Of course, like I said, I am referring to Pre-2012 - Mercedes got in line in most, but not all, of the classes with the 2012 model year. Before that, our equipment is a MUCH better choice for compatibility.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:53 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by CEB
But again the problem is the phone manufacturer. The "supported" phone list isn't necessarily the last word either. I've had many cars where the "unsupported" phone worked just fine. It is a crap shoot and every time the phone manufacturers come up with an update they break something.

There really isn't anything on our cars to update (unless you go from BT 2.1 to 3.0) because our cars already conform to the standards. Should we downgrade our car's software to conform to Apple devices? Blackberries? Nokia?

BTW, Car manufacturers and Blackberry (RIM) are the only ones even trying to adhere to the BT standards. Some car manufacturers have given up (Lexus/Toyota/Acura/Honda) and write their software for the most popular phones out there. The problem then is that everytime a new phone comes out (or a new iOS) the car needs a new update.

I prefer what BMW, MB and Audi are doing - sticking to the standards.
There is no disputing your argument on standards. The consumer always loses and that's in any arena.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 S600
Major Bluetooth discovery (for me anyway)

Not sure if this is old news because I am a 3 week newbie to the MB world. I am the proud new owner of a very gently used 2004 S600 with 61K miles. The car came pretty much fully loaded and even had the V60 cradle in the armrest but no phone. I started doing research on how I can get a bluetooth solution only to find that all of the older V60 MB Motorola pucks were very expensive. So I went to the Motorola website and discovered that back in the day they provided the exact same V60 phone solution to a vast host of other (mainly German) car manufacturers. I noticed that the pucks for BMW and Audi were "physically" the same and I started thinking, hmmm, since they are designed to replace the standard V60 phone why wouldn't these pucks work in a MB with the same system. Also seeing how these pucks were selling cheeper than the MB units I decided to take a chance. I got my BMW puck in the mail yesterday. Paid $150 on ebay and guess what, IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!! The only thing that I see that makes this different than the MB puck is that when I sync up the name of the puck is BMW BTUM. Other than that I'm extremely happy!!! Take care,

Brian
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Why would you have to use a "puck" in a W212? Didn't MB start integrating Bluetooth years ago?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 S600
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Why would you have to use a "puck" in a W212? Didn't MB start integrating Bluetooth years ago?
I don't have a W212. I have a 2004 W220 which as far as I can figure was one of the last years to have the V60 phone option, but I could definitely be wrong there.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I would blame Mercedes for the problem. Only iPhone works fine, all my other phones can't sync or upload addressbook at all. However all phones work fine with BMW BT. So certainly Mercedes should sneek what solution BMW are using.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Bluetooth Rant