E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Talk to me about MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by JonG89
I'm considering a 2010 E350 with these much-discussed MB-Tex vinyl seats. I haven't owned vinyl car seats in more than 20 years. I would prefer leather since the vinyl seats I remember from way back then would grill you alive whenever you slid into your drivers seat on a 95-degree mid-July day if the car had been parked in the sun for just a couple of hours....
Fortunately, I've never owned a car outside of an MB that had vinyl seats. But I don't think MB tex (past the mid-1980s) was *ever* has bad as the other stuff. MB tex has a slight texture to it and is partially perforated, so it shouldn't be a problem in the heat w/ sweat. As far as being scorched, I imagine that depends more on the color of your interior than it does on anything else. I have an ash interior, and it's not a huge problem.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a 2013 E350 Cabriolet
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 RWD, 2003 Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono
I use Lexol Leather/Vinyl spray cleaner then Lexol Leather/Vinyl spray conditioner. If you sometimes wear blue jeans, make sure you clean the driver's seat at least twice a year to keep the "blues" away.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM

BMW 5er
Originally Posted by mrjoed2
wut da hell - what?

I posted on this thread previously when I was interested in a Benz. Got a e-mail yesterday of new .posts. Replied that I went with BMW ( and Nappa leather) No MB Tex for me !!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 PM

Considering a 2013 E350 Cabriolet
Lexol is indeed good stuff. I use it on our two Jaguars, and I also used it on our previous Lexus, Dodge, and Jeep SUVs. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I use the Lexol Vinylex on my MB Tex and vinyl/plastic on other vehicles. Works great.
I prefer the MB Tex to the three cars I had with leather. Leather will crack, split and wear worse than vinyl. Some leather seats actually have a "vinyl" coating.
Last three MB vehicles that Consumer Reports has evaluated came with MB Tex and they recommended it over the leather.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM

650i
Sure MB-Tex is just a fancy vinyl at the end of the day. So sure it holds up like iron - that's why Consumer reports likes it. Has nothing to do with the the superior look, feel, softness and smell and luxury of a fine leather like Nappa.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Not just durability

Sure MB-Tex is just a fancy vinyl at the end of the day. So sure it holds up like iron - that's why Consumer reports likes it. Has nothing to do with the the superior look, feel, softness and smell and luxury of a fine leather like Nappa.
CR also likes it because it looks like expensive leather and feels like expensive leather. After all, vinyl seats were first used on luxury cars because they were better than leather!
IMO, quality cloth seats are softer and more comfortable than leather- or vinyl.
Everybody who has been in my car assumes it is vinyl. Other manufacturers are starting to use vinyl in high end cars as well.
All comes down to what owner wants.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM

650i
Originally Posted by El Cid
CR also likes it because it looks like expensive leather and feels like expensive leather. After all, vinyl seats were first used on luxury cars because they were better than leather!
IMO, quality cloth seats are softer and more comfortable than leather- or vinyl.
Everybody who has been in my car assumes it is vinyl. Other manufacturers are starting to use vinyl in high end cars as well.
All comes down to what owner wants.
Sorry, vinyl does not look or feel like top grade leather. I tested many cars before ordering my 650i and neither BMW or Benz vinyl is in the same universe at Nappa leather. Also, you will not find vinyl in any top end car - including Mercedes. Let's face it as durable as vinyl is, it is not in the same league as leather at the top end of the market.Who wants vinyl seats in a Bentley, Ferrari, ect. It would be like putting laminate countertops in a million dollar house.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Sorry, vinyl does not look or feel like top grade leather. I tested many cars before ordering my 650i and neither BMW or Benz vinyl is in the same universe at Nappa leather. Also, you will not find vinyl in any top end car - including Mercedes. Let's face it as durable as vinyl is, it is not in the same league as leather at the top end of the market.Who wants vinyl seats in a Bentley, Ferrari, ect. It would be like putting laminate countertops in a million dollar house.
Unless I'm mistaken, the optional leather in an E-class sedan, outside of Designo, is also not top-grade leather. ::shrug::
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM

650i
Originally Posted by alsyli
Unless I'm mistaken, the optional leather in an E-class sedan, outside of Designo, is also not top-grade leather. ::shrug::
Absolutely true, I looked at a E550 coupe which has leather as standard equip and I was very disappointed. Did not feel or look much different than MB-Tex. Did not have much in the way of leather aroma either. One reason I scratched the e550 off my list. ( Also don't get putting a column mounted shifter in a sports coupe)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
unfortunately, leather begins to wear almost immediately. leather is not in any way "stable" and what is referred to as breathing is absorbtion and release of sweat. no matter what kind of leather you have, it begins to wear at the needle holes, and the bolsters start to stretch and break down, especially the drivers thigh bolsters.
In a time when 60% of luxury cars start as leases, using vinyl preserves resale value. My amg has leather, it has a nice patina, my two other MB's have been MB-tex and all seating surfaces looked and felt as good on the day I sold those cars as the day I bought them. worn leather seats look great in antique cars, not so great in a 36mo old b'mer or MB.
The used e350 I just picked up has mbtex, seats are pristine. my wife probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't mentioned it
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM

Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
I get a kick out of your quote " It would be like putting laminate countertops in a million dollar house" up here in Fort Mac we have lots of houses in that range and yes most have laminate counters...
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM

650i
Originally Posted by Cwdawson
I get a kick out of your quote " It would be like putting laminate countertops in a million dollar house" up here in Fort Mac we have lots of houses in that range and yes most have laminate counters...

Wow that is amazing. For a house in that range, I would expect the highest end granite or I'm on to the next listing. What's next in this screwed up world -maybe a a Rolex with a plastic watchband?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM

650i
Originally Posted by schorert1
unfortunately, leather begins to wear almost immediately. leather is not in any way "stable" and what is referred to as breathing is absorbtion and release of sweat. no matter what kind of leather you have, it begins to wear at the needle holes, and the bolsters start to stretch and break down, especially the drivers thigh bolsters.
In a time when 60% of luxury cars start as leases, using vinyl preserves resale value. My amg has leather, it has a nice patina, my two other MB's have been MB-tex and all seating surfaces looked and felt as good on the day I sold those cars as the day I bought them. worn leather seats look great in antique cars, not so great in a 36mo old b'mer or MB.
The used e350 I just picked up has mbtex, seats are pristine. my wife probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't mentioned it
Leather is much more stable than in years past with the coating and treatments applied. No argument that a fine grade of leather such as Nappa needs more care than vinyl, which let's call it was it it a form of plastic.Which will wear very well, as it's practically indestructible. I have leather in 2 cars now, and with regular care with Lexol, Zaino, ect they look great. To each their own, if low maintenance is important go vinyl, if a high quality, beautiful interior is what you want, then leather. Again every high end car in the world has leather.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Wow that is amazing. For a house in that range, I would expect the highest end granite or I'm on to the next listing. What's next in this screwed up world -maybe a a Rolex with a plastic watchband?
How about a leatherette band?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 PM

650i
Originally Posted by stale-bread
How about a leatherette band?
Sure, marketing garbage to make corporations more profit. Less is more right?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM

E350 4Matic 2011
Not in my experience. My MBTex seats have already ripped on a two year old car. My previous MB had leather and no issues after 12+ years. A close look at the MBTex where it ripped showed me that it is very thin. I'm never getting MBTex again.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM

650i
Originally Posted by telemakhos
Not in my experience. My MBTex seats have already ripped on a two year old car. My previous MB had leather and no issues after 12+ years. A close look at the MBTex where it ripped showed me that it is very thin. I'm never getting MBTex again.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Hope is was covered by the warranty. Blows the theory of some that vinyl seats are indestructible. I will only buy cars with real leather. The car company CEO's can make big profit selling $50,000 cars with plastic seats to somebody else.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Wow, sorry to hear that. Hope is was covered by the warranty. Blows the theory of some that vinyl seats are indestructible. I will only buy cars with real leather. The car company CEO's can make big profit selling $50,000 cars with plastic seats to somebody else.

Anecdotal information does NOT blow a theory that vinyl seats are more durable. and again, you're missing the point that vinyl seats will look very close to new after two years while leather will be "breaking in". The CEO's are making big profits selling $40k cars coming off of lease that still have new looking interiors.

Yeah, you're really sticking it to them by buying leather from them!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
When I traded in my E500, the leather seats looked like brand new. There was virtually no wear on them. The bolsters, edge of the seat and all of the normal wear areas were as new. 10 year old car driven 100,000 miles. I think MB has the leather thing down pat. My E550 is 3.5 years old and there is no wear on this leather either at this point in its life. I will stick with the leather as it should be in a $70,000 car. I do not like plastic seats.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by KEY08
When I traded in my E500, the leather seats looked like brand new. There was virtually no wear on them. The bolsters, edge of the seat and all of the normal wear areas were as new. 10 year old car driven 100,000 miles. I think MB has the leather thing down pat. My E550 is 3.5 years old and there is no wear on this leather either at this point in its life. I will stick with the leather as it should be in a $70,000 car. I do not like plastic seats.
my clk63 has leather and that leather is in good condition, though it is showing normal wear after 5yrs. For my saturday car, I like the leather. For a DD, I think the mb-tex is a good solution.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 PM

650i
Anecdotal information does NOT blow a theory that vinyl seats are more durable. and again, you're missing the point that vinyl seats will look very close to new after two years while leather will be "breaking in". The CEO's are making big profits selling $40k cars coming off of lease that still have new looking interiors.

Yeah, you're really sticking it to them by buying leather from them!
Your missing my point -that I never have, never will buy a high end luxury car
with plastic seats. I simply find vinyl seats offensive. What's next back to steel wheels with plastic covers? Leave that stuff to bottom feeders Kia & Chrysler.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 PM

Your missing my point -that I never have, never will buy a high end luxury car
with plastic seats. I simply find vinyl seats offensive. What's next back to steel wheels with plastic covers? Leave that stuff to bottom feeders Kia & Chrysler.
you mean Daimler Chrysler?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:45 AM

650i
you mean Daimler Chrysler?
Yeah, and tell us us that ended up? Same culture shock as if Rolex bought Timex. Do some research and you will see MB quality hit a all time low in the early 2000's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about MB-Tex