Talk to me about MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL63 AMG, 2012 E550 4 matic
Originally Posted by mrjoe
Nicely said CEB.
And If someone is buying a vehicle for ultimate interior durability & drive through gluttony get a original "wash out" Honda element or cheap Jeep - not a $50,000 + Mercedes.

Amazes me people cry and whine about having the maintain a leather interior. Just plain crap - a weekly rubdown with a quality leather cleaner/conditioner wipe does the job in 5 minutes. Hey what;s next - *****ing about washing/waxing? then get a beater with a primer paint job.
CEBs comments were directed at me. If you are piling on, you should review the exchange between us. My problems were stitching coming undone and a faulty seat heater. This has ZERO to do with caring for the leather. Also, if you too are assuming that I was carless in the way I care for my cars, I could shut you up with a picture of my garage and the insane amount if detail supplies I own.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:31 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by enzo thecat
You may be the most ignorant person I have ever encountered on a forum. I wonder how old you are, 12?

I have owned a lot of cars, hence I've had a lot of experience. Two have had seat issues. One was due to a faulty heater, one was due to the stitching.

No one takes better care of their cars than I do. My garage is like one big detail bay that is almost hospital clean. All my cars are pristine, especially the interiors.

Replacing the back was not an option under the warranty, and at that point the entire seat would have been different.

Yeah, I am proving you got under my skin a little, but I want to show you how poor and reckless your judgment is. Maybe you should be less accusatory to fellow members that are taking time to help others.
i apologize. I confused you with another poster who said he hated taking care of the interior and regularly ate in his car.

That said, if a dealer is willing to order three seat covers to find one that matches, then they (or Jeep corporate) should have been willing to order a back to match.

How do all the manufacturers match the leather seating surfaces with the mb tex rest of the seat? Is the tex dyed in the same vat as the leather?

You had three choices with the stitching issues - a new seat cover, a repair by an outsourced upholstery shop or to do nothing. You chose to do nothing so don't whine about it 99% of the posters here would have gotten a new seat cover and it would have matched all of the other leather bits.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL63 AMG, 2012 E550 4 matic
Originally Posted by CEB
i apologize. I confused you with another poster who said he hated taking care of the interior and regularly ate in his car.

That said, if a dealer is willing to order three seat covers to find one that matches, then they (or Jeep corporate) should have been willing to order a back to match.

How do all the manufacturers match the leather seating surfaces with the mb tex rest of the seat? Is the tex dyed in the same vat as the leather?

You had three choices with the stitching issues - a new seat cover, a repair by an outsourced upholstery shop or to do nothing. You chose to do nothing so don't whine about it 99% of the posters here would have gotten a new seat cover and it would have matched all of the other leather bits.
Apology accepted, thank you.

Who is whining? And how can you be so sure that it would match? I'm telling you I already went through this. Have you had any experience in this situation? Its not as easy as you say. Clothing is the same way. Dye lots are quite different, even of the intention is to get the exact same color.

Also, MB TEX may be different. I dont know what the coloring technique is. But the leather is dyed, and its a long shot to get it the same.

Have a great day.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Had a Mazda Rx7 several years back. Leather seat was worn out and cracked on the edges after about 5 or 6,000 miles. Mazda replaced it with a new leather "seat cover" Perfectly matched the passenger side - and this was a convertible. Of course, it was worn out in about 5,000 miles and they would not replace it again.
That said, I prefer MBTex to the leather in three cars I had. To a great extent, leather seating surfaces are just a sales gimmick.
BTW, most of the material in all cars is vinyl, even those with leather seating surfaces and trim panels on the doors. The leather is stitched to the vinyl.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by enzo thecat
Apology accepted, thank you.

Who is whining? And how can you be so sure that it would match? I'm telling you I already went through this. Have you had any experience in this situation? Its not as easy as you say. Clothing is the same way. Dye lots are quite different, even of the intention is to get the exact same color.

Also, MB TEX may be different. I dont know what the coloring technique is. But the leather is dyed, and its a long shot to get it the same.

Have a great day.
Sure. ive had the driver's seat on my old Yukon replaced at about 8k miles when the tech broke a pen he had in his back pocket. It was gray and matched fine.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8X76NRiQLQ&ob=av2n
Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Well my problem is solved. decided if I am going to get a Benz it will be the E550 coupe - which has leather standard. (for some bizarre reason MB mandated if you want the E550 sedan this year you must take 4matic). I am in Florida and don't need the extra weight, cost, complexity & lower mileage. Stupid marketing.

And I get amusement out of K-A undying love for vinyl seats. Maybe he works for a plastic production company or maybe a landfill owner ( that stuff will last a coupe thousand years keeping him in business)

FYI -My old man has vinyl in his 2010 E350 and hates it. Says it stiff and low rent. Now wishes he had leather - but of course MB makes it a pain in the ***, since pretty much all dealers stock is the crappy plastic.
Thank you for your uselessness and utter lack of intelligence to this debate. Enjoy your 2-Door C-Class with an "E" badge, and your beloved cow hide.

.... Was that mean?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Thank you for your uselessness and utter lack of intelligence to this debate. Enjoy your 2-Door C-Class with an "E" badge, and your beloved cow hide.

.... Was that mean?
Ouch?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Alright, I take it back. Except for the first sentence.

It is a technical claim though. The E-Coupe is literally a C-Class with two doors and some E gimmicks/tech/badge. The interior layout/design/etc. and underbody, chassis, etc. is heavily based off of the W204, or literally is the W204. In fact, the C-Coupe and E-Coupe are literally twins now, styling and engine options separate them more so than anything.

Last edited by K-A; 12-17-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
KA, calling an E coupe a C class "something" is as correct as calling CLK a C class "something". IMO, both CLK and E coupe was/is holding its own unique position in MB's line up.
While both CLK and E coupe was/is based on corresponding C class chassis, that line was/is always positioned between C and E classes (actually much closer in price to W210/1/2 than to W202/3/4) a la mini CL if you will. It is apparent in much upgraded interiors vs. C, IMO on par with E if not better. True, E sedan offers a more refined ride (I had/have all three) than CLK/E coupe (which I also had a few of), but CLK/E coupe offers a much better driving enjoyment as it is a far better handling car.
DO NOT confuse E coupe with C coupe. Very different cars for completely different consumer. IMO, the difference is much larger that one between E and CLS, that you "cross-shopped" and I could see myself doing the same. I would never cross-shop E and C coupes, never.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The C Coupe looks cheap (Accord-ish) and almost hideous (relatively speaking, for a Benz) to me, so no argument on the E-Coupe being a better looker and choice. However, aren't the E and C Coupes on identical chassis'? Identical hard points, etc? I can't remember if they were or weren't.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Runner V8 4WD/Porsche 944 Turbo
I though we were not supposed to insult other members? You show a complete lack of knowledge by comparing the E coupe to the C series. And if you don't think the E coupe has some great style, with the pillarless design, pano roof and sleeker design, you need your eyes examined. And I will enjoy my leather - as I do with my leather belts, holsters, wallets, furniture,shoes, briefcase, ect. You can live you life surrounded in artificial plastic for all I care.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Actually, you show a lack of knowledge. The E Coupe is heavily based on the C-Class, it's a fact. Chassis itself is a very important aspect of a car.

Are you kidding, about that "insult" comment? As the least valuable Member of this Forum, you've done nothing but angrily lash out at those who prefer M-B Tex's qualities to your precious cow skin. Do you make money off of Leather or something? Why not leave those's opinions good and alone? This is a debate, which means that you'll have people arguing on BOTH sides. You've come in with nothing but frustration toward those who can articulately express their favoritisms toward MB Tex. You're a classic case of someone who covers their ears and screams "la la laaaaa" and resorts to poor attempts at ridicule rather than intelligently discussing the subject at hand. Not to mention, your record of false claims and fumbles is astounding.

Enjoy your E-Coupe, it's a nice car. But try and provide some value and substance to a discussion in the future, if you wish to stick around. Thus far, your opinions have been good for nothing.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 AM

I think your ignorant undying love for plastic seats has been good for nothing and adds nothing to the forum. When another member was critical of MB vinyl you attacked him by asking if he used a knife on it. You useless illogical comments are insulting to all. You lash out at anyone who does not agree with your asinine positions. And if anyone has been frustrated and a crybaby is is YOU. And I think it is you who must make money off plastic products. And who are you to decide who is a valuable member?? Self righteous blathering. Get a life.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I don't know you from a hole in the ground mrjoe, but KA has proven himself to have extensive knowledge of our cars: present and past........
this is a FORUM huh?
just lighten up and you might learn something.......

knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.....Jimi Hendrix
Old 12-18-2011, 10:14 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I think your ignorant undying love for plastic seats has been good for nothing and adds nothing to the forum. When another member was critical of MB vinyl you attacked him by asking if he used a knife on it. You useless illogical comments are insulting to all. You lash out at anyone who does not agree with your asinine positions. And if anyone has been frustrated and a crybaby is is YOU. And I think it is you who must make money off plastic products. And who are you to decide who is a valuable member?? Self righteous blathering. Get a life.
My love for plastic seats is "IGNORANT"? WTF? If it ain't a dead cow, it's ignorance now (poetic, isn't it?).

Are you really that fragile? You think asking if he used a "knife" with a "" is an "attack"? :rofl:

Get a life, and CHILL dude. You have like 20 posts and they're all angered spews against plastic, myself, and love fests toward cow skin. I've proved that MB Tex is a piece of and appropriate function to M-B's, past and present, and all that does is anger you. The truth hurts?

Thanks, Hyp, and I need my GNR fix again, so feel free to repost that Link.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Say what??????

Attacking long time members because you don't agree with their opinions isn't very smart - especially since virtually every one of your posts comes off like an incoherent rant by a 10 year old.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
remind me not to recheck this thread next time im online. can we get any further off the topic with a side of insults? c'mon man.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by CEB
Say what??????

Attacking long time members because you don't agree with their opinions isn't very smart - especially since virtually every one of your posts comes off like an incoherent rant by a 10 year old.
Once again, glad my "crazy detector" didn't beep and I can see that I'm not the only one. Problem with people who just lash out is that either they drag you down to their level of argument, making you look equally as bad, or you sit there and waste time trying to articulate a logical response to your best abilities. I've probably met both events in this very Thread.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Once again, glad my "crazy detector" didn't beep and I can see that I'm not the only one. Problem with people who just lash out is that either they drag you down to their level of argument, making you look equally as bad, or you sit there and waste time trying to articulate a logical response to your best abilities. I've probably met both events in this very Thread.
The problem here is with immature personal attacks that, unfortunately, tend to provoke like responses.

I think you're a bit "over the top" with your defense of MB-tex as being better than sliced bread but that is your opinion and certainly no reason to attack you.

I started this thread because I wanted opinions on MB-tex and about MB's marketing strategy. I expected differing opinions and strong feelings on the subject, but that does not excuse personal attacks.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:22 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thing is, just because I defend the merits of MB Tex, it doesn't mean that I think it's the re-invention of the wheel. I feel the material gets hounded for no other reason than peoples prejudices toward "plastic seats". I feel that it offers more benefits than Leather does, since Leather only offers one benefit: Smooth and softer surfacing, which is indeed extremely important when it comes to seats. However, where MB Tex shines over other vinyls, is how close it comes to "imitating" "real Leather". Hence, why I think it stands on its own against Leather.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I have an idea - why don't you all just agree that MRJOE is the most annoying, vile, useless jerk in this entire thread, then you can all get along and just laugh at him. It's a win-win for everyone since he seems to be the very first person who pushed the vitriol level in this thread off the charts and continues to spout what is arguably the most useless crap. I don't even think he's owned a car with MBTex OR Mercedes leather!!! What a troll.

Also, how dare you call the C class ugly! We should start a new 8 page thread to argue that one!! Clearly my C class is better than all of your E classes!! Also my MBTex is better than your nasty leather! (This is a joke, this thread has become so silly!!)

Last edited by acr2001; 12-18-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...ike+a+dolphin/
Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Hey I am done with this thread as I am going for the E550 coupe which comes with leather, so moot issue for me.

Last edited by ScottW911; 12-18-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: inappropriate language.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about MB-Tex