How do you guys drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C300
How do you guys drive?

What's up guys,

I am just wondering how do you guys drive your car? Do you guys take it easy on the car or do you guys drive it hard? How do you guys take turns etc.

I am wondering because I am shopping for a car and will be purchasing my first MB here in a few. Hopefully before Christmas, that would be an amazing gift.

Also could you guys help me out, I know a few of you guys on here have had the C-class before switching to the E-class. Can you guys help me out with how they drive? I've been told that the C-class handles much better while the E-class is more for a cruising type of car. I know it is not a sports car but I mean I like to do some spirited driving sometimes. Are the driving comparisons like a Lexus IS to a GS? I say Lexus because practically my whole family has every model Lexus so I have driven basically every single model. I myself drive a Lexus GS300 right now and that will soon be traded in for a MB. Either a C350 or E350..not sure yet, help me make a choice lol

Thanks, Vince
Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I certainly do not baby mine. Neither do I abuse it. I have the Luxury setup so mine is softer thant the E's with the Sport package. Still, I can easily take most on-ramps at more than twice the posted speed with little to no drama. If it is a true sport sedan you are looking for though, I would consider the AMG models or another manufacturer.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 PM

'10 C300
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I certainly do not baby mine. Neither do I abuse it. I have the Luxury setup so mine is softer thant the E's with the Sport package. Still, I can easily take most on-ramps at more than twice the posted speed with little to no drama. If it is a true sport sedan you are looking for though, I would consider the AMG models or another manufacturer.
Not really looking into a true sports car just yet. Although the CLS63 AMG is so tempting to me. Those things are so sexy
Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The E can handle very well in terms of it going where you point it, and remaining solidly planted on the road. However, in any which spirited sense, it won't cut it. It's a cruiser with a well balanced firm-ish ride (except for its performance over rough roads), and if you start attacking corners, you'll feel the exaggerated body roll very much so. If you want a cruiser with a mostly incredible ride ("mostly" because it's the opposite of incredible over rough roads), while being able to handle nicely and tightly enough to hold its own in any real world driving sense, then the E-Class is a Mercedes-esque ride through and through.

However, if you have that corner-carving "spirited driving" mindset at all, you won't be too happy with it.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
i must say, the E is very solid and rigid as a stock vehicle...very impressed with MB on this. it feels like my modified GS300 in which I added alot of susp aftermarket parts...LOL.

Most times, I drive defensively, under the speed limit, etc...the reason is because I have a 7 yr old girl in the rear that can see my speedometer and tells me if Im even 1 mile over the limit....LOL!!

When she's not with me, I get a bit more agressive....I like to hit the turns at a good speed without any braking or downshifting, etc...LOL!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I worked for 20 years in a hospital ER and,as a result,I'm quite conservative behind the wheel.A strong desire to maximize fuel mileage also is a motivating factor (I have a white hot hatred for OPEC).My Bluetec is quite well designed for guys like me (it's the "luxury" version).

I came to the Bluetec from the BMW 3 Series and must say that,overall,the 3er had a much "sportier" feel to it...that goes for handling,braking,and ride.You felt more connected to the road in the 3er.However,I recently had a C Class as a loaner and I must say that it wasn't nearly as satisfying to me as was the 3er.But one day behind the wheel,I guess,can't be considered a fair test given that I had about 3 years with the 3er.

Just one guy's opinion.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM

E63
I drive like, i ****ing stole it!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
Legally and responsibly.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by NguyenPervert69
Either a C350 or E350..not sure yet, help me make a choice lol

Thanks, Vince
I recommend an extended test drive in both before you decide. I also suggest you try both the sport and luxury versions to see which you prefer.

Have an honest discussion with a good MB dealer, and I'm sure they will accommodate you.

Many dealers will allow you to take a car for a day. This allows you to get a feel for how this car handles your daily commute and lifestyle. I had a good rapport with my local BMW dealer and I took many cars home for extended test drives. Wish I had done this with MB.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM

2002 CLK320 Conv, 2007 CLK63 Conv, 2011 E350
Originally Posted by golfster
Legally and responsibly.
10 and 2. gas pedal on the right. Brake on the left.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I drive conservativly......most times....but I do own an AMG too, lol......
On highways I never sit in the fast lane, don't tailgate when I can help it,
and never let drivers out of fast food joint parking lots, haha.....
When with my daughter and or wife I'm an obedient citizen;( a very good driver actually, never have caused or been in an accident) a tad less when I'm alone.....
I use the CC a lot; so much that the stalk clicks now on every upwards stroke,
also use it to slow down a lot. I don't talk on the phone or do any fooling around with gadgets, my only focus is getting to where I'm going,and trying to not to get run off the road by all the other ***** that think they're the only ones driving that day.....
always leave a bit early so I'm not rushed you know?
I really enjoy driving both of my cars, they are quite different despite the fact that they look the same. I do enjoy the WOT every chance I get, usually on highway entrance ramps sadly to say......
Before I had TPM's I never cared about the tire pressures, but now I'm always checking those at stop lights and what not...
Driving is really important to me as it is us all, and I never take it for granted you know?
and driving a benz just heightens the pleasure
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM

2002 CLK320 Conv, 2007 CLK63 Conv, 2011 E350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I drive conservativly......most times....but I do own an AMG too, lol......
On highways I never sit in the fast lane, don't tailgate when I can help it,
and never let drivers out of fast food joint parking lots, haha.....
When with my daughter and or wife I'm an obedient citizen;( a very good driver actually, never have caused or been in an accident) a tad less when I'm alone.....
I use the CC a lot; so much that the stalk clicks now on every upwards stroke,
also use it to slow down a lot. I don't talk on the phone or do any fooling around with gadgets, my only focus is getting to where I'm going,and trying to not to get run off the road by all the other ***** that think they're the only ones driving that day.....
always leave a bit early so I'm not rushed you know?
I really enjoy driving both of my cars, they are quite different despite the fact that they look the same. I do enjoy the WOT every chance I get, usually on highway entrance ramps sadly to say......
Before I had TPM's I never cared about the tire pressures, but now I'm always checking those at stop lights and what not...
Driving is really important to me as it is us all, and I never take it for granted you know?
and driving a benz just heightens the pleasure
great post!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
I drive conservatively while in city settings,,too many variables and school bus's and watnot and I dont wanna scratch my paint.
However,,when the time comes and I get my fill of those who dont belong on the road at all,The E both this one and my gone 210 had the guts and handling to make any move I wanted.

I had a dealer tell me" dont bother breaking it in,drive it like you always owned it"

I call it a tank with sneakers
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Hyperion, why don't you drive your car in the fast lane? Just out of curiosity...
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by amaycg
Hyperion, why don't you drive your car in the fast lane? Just out of curiosity...
hehe, I do drive in the fast lane: I don't SIT in the fast lane is what I meant you know? SOOOOOO many people just sit there and expect YOU to pass them on the right because they feel they don't have to move over for the faster traffic....then they look at YOU like it's your problem..........
what the hell is wrong with people???
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol ohhhhhh i know what you mean
yesterday, i was driving in the fast lane and i was stuck behind 5 other cars who were all going at 62 mph. I wanted to rip my head off b/c the second fastest lane was also going at about 62. When I got over a ridge, I could see that there wasn't traffic ahead, there was a big open space with two idiots going at 60 in the two leftmost lanes holding everyone up!!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
that is EXACTLY what I mean amaycg
and I refuse to be one of those dolts

have also had to employ the 'ignore' tab on a few here.....
they're just too lame

Last edited by hyperion667; 12-09-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Why Hype,,,whatever do you mean??,

Dude,,I think its time for the Secretary of Knock it Off to step in de-lame some of these whiners
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
A lot of good responses that I would agree with. The e's are great built like a tank Mercedes. I consider them to be solid feeling luxury sedans as opposed to being a sports car/sports sedan. For spirited driving I think you need to go bmw 335 or perhaps a c class. That said, Lexus vehicles like the gs or es give you a sub-standard driving experience as far as anything any where near "spirited". From that perspective, any Mercedes sedan will feel spirited, a far better driving experience. An e class is closer to being a scaled down s class than a larger c class, IMO. Regards. Ned.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I dig the E's drive the most because it straddles the line between the C and S. The C rides great, but is a little too stiff to be truly luxurious, and the S is purely luxurious refinement, but the E is a liiiitle more connected and "tight", giving it a slightly "sportier" feel than the S.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 PM

'10 C300
Thanks for all the responses guys. Hopefully I will have time to go for test drives this weekend. I have a Lexus GS as stated above right now and I am thinking about doing the 2JZ-GTE swap in it and making that a weekend car while the Benz will be the daily cruiser. That way I can have a cruiser and a sleeper whenever I want. My whole family keeps telling me to buy another Lexus but I want to try something else. My pops keeps telling to get the 2012 BMW 535i, he says the exterior styling is nicer, but I like Mercedes better. And I can't bare with the interiors of the new 5-series.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 AM

2011 E-350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
hehe, I do drive in the fast lane: I don't SIT in the fast lane is what I meant you know? SOOOOOO many people just sit there and expect YOU to pass them on the right because they feel they don't have to move over for the faster traffic....then they look at YOU like it's your problem..........
what the hell is wrong with people???
Hyp, I know exactly what you mean Brother! We all have our pet peaves when it comes to driving. I have two that will cause me to lose my religion in a micro-second! One is people who drive the speed limit or slower in the fastlane, assuming you can always pass them on the right. They don't have enough common sense to know this causes more accidents. A common rule of thumb whcih escapes a lot of people, is good road etiquette goes a long way in preventing accidents. I spent 14 years in Germany (three tours with USAF) and never had to pass anyone on the right.

The Germans know that the fastlane is for exceeding the speed of traffic in the right lane, other knows as "passing slower traffic only." People talk about how dangerous it is to drive on German autobahns. I know from experience, it is much safer than driving on US Interstates. The reason, Germans drive by a set of rules...even the unwritten ones are adhered to. I thoroughly enjoyed all 14 years of my drving experience in Germany.

My second pet peave is people who do not use signal lights! I grew up in the trucking business back in the '60s and learned to drive from "professional drivers," my Dad being one of them. That was the first thing I learned as a Cardinal Rule...Every time the nose of the vehicle changed direction or position, you used the signal lights, ie., making turns, passing other vehicles, changing lanes, pulling off the road, pulling on the road, merging into traffic, etc. How, here in Alabama, the local police don't even use signal lights most of the time!

I tend to verbally abuse everyone who inconveniences my drving experience by not using their signal lights. They never hear me, but it is great therapy for me. Sorry for the long post, but these are two stupid drving techniques that have bothered me for many years!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 AM

2011 E-350
My apologies for two significant typos in the preceding post. The first line in the second paragraph should have said, "otherwise known as......" The second type was at the end of the thrid paragraph. It should have said "HELL, in Alabama....

One last thought, a big reason that Germans are more courteous drivers are they still accept driving as a "privilege," whereas most Americans see it as an "inalienable right."
Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by CorvetteOJ
Hyp, I know exactly what you mean Brother! We all have our pet peaves when it comes to driving. I have two that will cause me to lose my religion in a micro-second! One is people who drive the speed limit or slower in the fastlane, assuming you can always pass them on the right. They don't have enough common sense to know this causes more accidents. A common rule of thumb whcih escapes a lot of people, is good road etiquette goes a long way in preventing accidents. I spent 14 years in Germany (three tours with USAF) and never had to pass anyone on the right.

The Germans know that the fastlane is for exceeding the speed of traffic in the right lane, other knows as "passing slower traffic only." People talk about how dangerous it is to drive on German autobahns. I know from experience, it is much safer than driving on US Interstates. The reason, Germans drive by a set of rules...even the unwritten ones are adhered to. I thoroughly enjoyed all 14 years of my drving experience in Germany.

My second pet peave is people who do not use signal lights! I grew up in the trucking business back in the '60s and learned to drive from "professional drivers," my Dad being one of them. That was the first thing I learned as a Cardinal Rule...Every time the nose of the vehicle changed direction or position, you used the signal lights, ie., making turns, passing other vehicles, changing lanes, pulling off the road, pulling on the road, merging into traffic, etc. How, here in Alabama, the local police don't even use signal lights most of the time!

I tend to verbally abuse everyone who inconveniences my drving experience by not using their signal lights. They never hear me, but it is great therapy for me. Sorry for the long post, but these are two stupid drving techniques that have bothered me for many years!!!

amen!!!!!!!!!
it's good to know, and reassuring, to know there are real drivers out there like you man!!
of course I believe if EVERYONE had a car they loved, then driving might be easier for us all........but there are too many lame'o's out there......
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hate it when people don't use turn signals....ughhhhh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you guys drive?