Traction in wet conditions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Have you signed up for the AMG driving Academy thing? I really want to do that one day to figure out how to better handle my car in a bad situation. But that ice video you posted is a whole different level of fun. Something that struck me about the video is that they say the temps are below freezing and they are wearing very light clothing. Maybe the adrenaline is keeping them warm
YES! I am waiting for a call back in 2012 about a free day IN Georgia some where....for the AMG first session......can't wait!!!!
although I have a feeling I'll have a different AMG by then
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by GermanCars
If I lived up there with you guys you bet, absolutely! For the rest of us here in the sunbelt, my experience as a ASE Master Tech and long term shop owner is that the cost and complication of all wheel drive out weights it's benefits.
I do not live "up there" anylonger for several years now. Instead, I live down there in the same area as you.

IMO, in summer's almost daily late afternoon heavy downpours on FL's highways, AWD's benefits far outweight extra maintenance cost, if any. I put almost 100K miles in 5years almost exclusively on I-75 between Tampa and Ft.Myers in my former A8 - $0 maintenance cost associated with Quattro (do not get me wrong, there were maintenance expenses and quite a bit - timing belt "service", brakes/rotors, etc., but none related to AWD). Quattro was bulletproof by the way - sold car a year ago exactly at this time. New owner put an other 10K trouble free miles since. He loves the car and works in sales for a local Mercedes dealer with a huge choice of pre-owned RWD cars, yet he chose AWD.

AWD with proper tires on a daily driven car is an ideal combination for most of the US (and all Canada), except those in mostly dry places like AZ, NV, So. CA, etc.

Last edited by threeMBs; 12-21-2011 at 01:00 PM.