E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Who put on their own trunk and/or roof spoiler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Who put on their own trunk and/or roof spoiler?

just want to know how many of you have put the spoilers on yourself.
i've received the trunk spoiler yesterday and as i've mentioned before in the other threads, i'm not a handyman and have never put on any kits on any of my cars before. so this is the very first time and could be a challenge for me to install a spoiler myself even it looks like a 5-10 minutes job. the box came with a q-tip, primer adhesion promoter and alcohol pad. the instruction booklet didn't mention anything about them, just peel off, stick on. so what are they exactly for? is the alcohol pad just to clean the area where the spoiler sits? if so, will the alcohol damage the paint of the car? if anyone has done it before, your help is much appreciated. thank you very much in advance !
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Just have your dealer install it. The alcohol will not harm your paint and is used often in detailing to strip the polish and fillers out during polishing/correction. It will certainly look odd if you do not get it aligned correctly and will be very visible. If I were you, this would not be my first attempt at doing this type of thing.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
i was thinking about have it installed by some professional but by looking at the instruction, it seems extremely easy. did you do yours on your own?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL63 AMG, 2012 E550 4 matic
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i was thinking about have it installed by some professional but by looking at the instruction, it seems extremely easy. did you do yours on your own?
I just removed my factory spoiler and put on a Carbon Fiber one (just before Christmas). The day after, I installed one on my brothers CLS

The installation was a little bit of a pain. If you dont get it centered perfectly, you will have to reposition. Thats when things get hairy, because some of the tapes adheres to the car and some stays on the wing. Reapplying the tape on the wing becomes impossible because it stretches and completely distorts. So you have to remove all tape and put new on. The tape is available at any auto supply store though and not expensive. But I am also a perfectionist and wanted them centered exactly to the mm.

PM me if you want detailed information and I'll give you my phone number. You can call me for help.

e
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
thanks for your offer, enzo ! pm sent .
Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah it's really easy. I'm terribly not handy and I did it with my 2010 E. The key is to make sure you clean it (I used water, no soap, no alcohol and it stuck well, although I'd recommend maybe something stronger). You just have to be VERY careful about the positioning. Use two people if you can, however, I did it all myself. I found that the key is in how long and hard you press it. If you don't press it enough, it may start popping up after some time. Literally PRESS it, and practically hold each individual section for minutes while pressing (my arms were sore afterward, but I didn't want to deal with the paranoia later).
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah it's really easy. I'm terribly not handy and I did it with my 2010 E. The key is to make sure you clean it (I used water, no soap, no alcohol and it stuck well, although I'd recommend maybe something stronger). You just have to be VERY careful about the positioning. Use two people if you can, however, I did it all myself. I found that the key is in how long and hard you press it. If you don't press it enough, it may start popping up after some time. Literally PRESS it, and practically hold each individual section for minutes while pressing (my arms were sore afterward, but I didn't want to deal with the paranoia later).
i've asked the place where i bought the spoiler from and here is what they sent me: http://www.double-to.com/BC.MOTO/Typ...20install.html

i think it's very easy as you said but i'm also a perfectionist like enzo. so my game plan is have my wife do it together with me and if anything goes wrong, i have someone to blame .

by the way, he said i don't have to use the primer adhesion promoter if i don't want to. i guess if you didn't use anything else other than the 3m double-sided tape and still going strong. why would i need to bother, right?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
i've done it...finally. but want to know is it me or everybody is the same. after everything is finished, i've noticed there is a small gap between the spoiler and top of the trunk, not the end where the star sits. i guess the gap is from the thickness of the 3m tape. but will it be ok during rains and car washes ? please advise. thanks ! btw, love the look .
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Mine wasn't a perfect fit as well. When it rained or I washed the car, I noticed water going "through" the spoiler in some areas, so I was always paranoid that at some point it'd come off. A year into it (on my old 2010) no problems, though.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
Test fit it, center it, mark each end with some tape.. and there you go..I would also make sure you install in warm temps.. the 3m tape sticks better. ITS VERY EASY
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
Mine wasn't a perfect fit as well. When it rained or I washed the car, I noticed water going "through" the spoiler in some areas, so I was always paranoid that at some point it'd come off. A year into it (on my old 2010) no problems, though.
ok, it's kind of a sigh of relief .

Originally Posted by bigigg
Test fit it, center it, mark each end with some tape.. and there you go..I would also make sure you install in warm temps.. the 3m tape sticks better. ITS VERY EASY
yup, the installation is easy but now my concern is the gap. glad to hear ka had the same thing for over a year and still ok.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i've done it...finally. but want to know is it me or everybody is the same. after everything is finished, i've noticed there is a small gap between the spoiler and top of the trunk, not the end where the star sits. i guess the gap is from the thickness of the 3m tape. but will it be ok during rains and car washes ? please advise. thanks ! btw, love the look .
I got the same gap...like 0.5mm thin...its the 3M tape. Actually, I see it beneficial for the 3M to create a seal so that water/rain doesn't get trapped between the trunk and the spoiler.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 PM

4matic C300
Very easy to do my friend. I've done it on a few cars so far. Just make sure you go to home depot or lowes and get the good quality extra strength 3m. I've had bad luck with the ones that are shipped to me. Make sure you clean the area of the car really well. Measure first, mark of with tape, and viola you should be fine.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by PHML
I got the same gap...like 0.5mm thin...its the 3M tape. Actually, I see it beneficial for the 3M to create a seal so that water/rain doesn't get trapped between the trunk and the spoiler.
good point. hard to believe that little piece could make the car looks that much better.

Originally Posted by Invain15
Very easy to do my friend. I've done it on a few cars so far. Just make sure you go to home depot or lowes and get the good quality extra strength 3m. I've had bad luck with the ones that are shipped to me. Make sure you clean the area of the car really well. Measure first, mark of with tape, and viola you should be fine.
i did exactly like what you said except getting the tape myself from lowes as the spoiler came in painted w/the tapes.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM

2013 E-350 4matic
Its very easy. I do mine on all my cars. just lining it up can an issue so maybe use a friend.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM

'06 C230 SS
U can do it...
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 AM

E350 p2/amg sport
where are most people getting the roof spoilers from?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by DoubleA
Its very easy. I do mine on all my cars. just lining it up can an issue so maybe use a friend.
i did ask a friend, in fact two .

Originally Posted by Pakeboy
U can do it...
i did it last week .

Originally Posted by thomasshawn
where are most people getting the roof spoilers from?
a sponsor from this forum jbspeed or ebay.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
great. saw jbspeed but was just making sure before I ordered.
are most people using the 3M tape that comes with it or are you getting the heavy duty stuff from lowes or an auto parts place?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
based on most of the members, i don't think you need anything else.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
awesome thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
I've installed lots of trunk lip spoilers. The easiest ones are the ones that have a cutout for the 3rd brake light or star emblem, as you have a nice guide to work with, if you're doing it yourself.

I just installed my new one last week (EBay) and the quality is much better than ones i've seen in the past.

If doing it yourself, use 4 pieces of 3M tape. 2 pieces along the top of the spoiler, and 2 along the bottom, like this....

______________ ______________

Where you're leaving the gap in the middle, pull the adhesive cover back a little bit on each of the 4 pieces and attach little tabs (pieces of clear packing tape is what i use) to each one that will stick out from underneath the spoiler when you set it on the trunk.

Now you can line up the spoiler on the trunk. When you have it in the spot that you want, put a small amount of pressure on it as you pull on one of the tabs to expose the tape onto the trunk. That slippery red plastic that covers the tape is quite strong and won't break as long as you don't press too hard when you're trying to pull it off.

I like to do the 2 lower ones first & then the upper ones, but do whatever works for you. Make sure once you remove all 4 strips that you apply a bunch of pressure to all areas of the spoiler, so it sticks well.

TIPS:

- Make sure the trunk & spoiler are both CLEAN before install.

- I never use the tape that comes with the spoiler. Go buy a roll of heavy duty 3M tape and use it instead. it's generally stickier than anything else. If you live in a crappy climate & order your spoiler in the winter, the tape that comes in the box has probably been frozen & loses adhesion even once it thaws.

- Don't wash your car for at least a day after you put on the spoiler.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
Reliable source for roof spoiler? I ordered from jbspeed and he contacted me to say he wasn't sure he could match the arctic white.

So if anybody has experience with another source please let me know
Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
I've installed lots of trunk lip spoilers. The easiest ones are the ones that have a cutout for the 3rd brake light or star emblem, as you have a nice guide to work with, if you're doing it yourself.

I just installed my new one last week (EBay) and the quality is much better than ones i've seen in the past.

If doing it yourself, use 4 pieces of 3M tape. 2 pieces along the top of the spoiler, and 2 along the bottom, like this....

Where you're leaving the gap in the middle, pull the adhesive cover back a little bit on each of the 4 pieces and attach little tabs (pieces of clear packing tape is what i use) to each one that will stick out from underneath the spoiler when you set it on the trunk.

Now you can line up the spoiler on the trunk. When you have it in the spot that you want, put a small amount of pressure on it as you pull on one of the tabs to expose the tape onto the trunk. That slippery red plastic that covers the tape is quite strong and won't break as long as you don't press too hard when you're trying to pull it off.

I like to do the 2 lower ones first & then the upper ones, but do whatever works for you. Make sure once you remove all 4 strips that you apply a bunch of pressure to all areas of the spoiler, so it sticks well.

TIPS:

- Make sure the trunk & spoiler are both CLEAN before install.

- I never use the tape that comes with the spoiler. Go buy a roll of heavy duty 3M tape and use it instead. it's generally stickier than anything else. If you live in a crappy climate & order your spoiler in the winter, the tape that comes in the box has probably been frozen & loses adhesion even once it thaws.

- Don't wash your car for at least a day after you put on the spoiler.

I hope this helps.
i wish this post was here before my installation. very helpful .

Reliable source for roof spoiler? I ordered from jbspeed and he contacted me to say he wasn't sure he could match the arctic white.

shoot me a pm, buddy.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL63 AMG, 2012 E550 4 matic

I have a brand new arctic white Mercedes Benz OEM spoiler in bubble wrap. I took it off as soon as I bought my car in and swapped to a carbon fiber one. Make me an offer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who put on their own trunk and/or roof spoiler?