Auto Trunk Close By Using Key Fob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 478 Posts
W212 FL
Auto Trunk Close By Using Key Fob

I was on the youtube to see more additional hidden stuffs for W212 and came across a useful video . Actually, I would like to have a auto trunk system but as far as I know it can be bought by Keyless Go P17 . No sold seperately
I actually don't want keyless go even though I like the idea of it . Because it may drain your car's battery or your keyfob's battery

So, in a nutshell, I was thinking of how to have auto trunk close w/o having a keyless go package and saw this video .
Take a look , it's superb lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAxPRdvjqBk

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
so it's for cars already w/auto trunk closer? does it already have a button on the trunk to close it? why bother w/the remote? i'm a bit confused.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
It's not clear but since they posted this video this should be for the cars w/o auto close trunks . I think we need to verify this .On the other hand I don't know if all the E Class Wagons come with auto close trunk system
Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
this is the description from the link:

•Hatch module to close the hatchback by using the original remote
•For vehicles with factory fitted electric trunk
•By using the original buttons of the remote the hatchback will close fully automated
◦2x lock button (When you are leaving the vehicle)
... or
◦2x open button (When you are coming to the vehicle)
•Factory fitted features will not be affected at all

it should be for cars w/o but based on the descriptions above, i guess it's not.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
so it's for cars already w/auto trunk closer? does it already have a button on the trunk to close it? why bother w/the remote? i'm a bit confused.
There is a button on my sedan.

You would use it if say you were hauling groceries out of the trunk and had your arms full of bags and went into your house. Instead of having to walk back out to push the button on the trunl lid or simply push it closed you could push the lock button twice and viola'!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by BenzV12
I actually don't want keyless go even though I like the idea of it . Because it may drain your car's battery or your keyfob's battery
I'm on my second car with Keyless Go and I'd never have another one without it. I don't buy the idea that Keyless Go drains any battery. You are missing out on a great feature.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by BudC
I'm on my second car with Keyless Go and I'd never have another one without it. I don't buy the idea that Keyless Go drains any battery. You are missing out on a great feature.
+1 One of my favorite features about the car is keyless go. I'd never buy another MB without that (or the pano roof).
Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM

2008 M3; 2012 E350
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
+1 One of my favorite features about the car is keyless go. I'd never buy another MB without that (or the pano roof).
+100.

I have had this Keyless Go feature in all my MBs and BMWs and Lexus since 2006
When I was in the market recently it was so difficult to locate a car with P2 package or Keyless Go.

I have used it and I love it. Rather, more than me, I cannot bring a car into our garage without this feature....who can blame them when all they have to do ensure that the key is in the handbag - enter and start the car without having to physically locate it.

For some reason most of the MB buyers dont find this feature worth the extra bucks.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 923 Likes on 656 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
It's not clear but since they posted this video this should be for the cars w/o auto close trunks . I think we need to verify this .On the other hand I don't know if all the E Class Wagons come with auto close trunk system

I think it is for cars that are equipped with trunk closing motor already. I used to own an Audi Q7 and it had the tail gate closing function but the same way it would not close from the remote key. You had to push a button the same way as our 212s have it.

Kufatec makes an electronic box that is connected in the car's wiring and it enables the closing from the remote key. I would bet this is the same for our cars, i.e. it is a box with receiver that acts like the button on the trunk lid when remote button is pressed twice.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
Hello...your key fob has a trunk button on it already...

There is also a switch on the drivers door panel that allows you to open or close your trunk. I have both a GL with the auto hatch and an E 350 with the auto trunk. When walking up, just hit the button on your key fob for the hatch or trunk before you get there and the trunk opens. Not too tough... Also, there two buttons on the inside of the trunk lid and hatch that you can push for either just close or lock all doors and close. Why push a button twice on the fob when you can push a button on the trunk lid once?

Keyless go is the way to go. The keyfob has a $4 battery inside that takes about 3 seconds to change. Youtube has a great how to video of how to open your keyfob to access and change it. The stealerships charge about $25 for the service. Don't let them do it. Do it yourself. So don't let that keep you from having keyless go. It is an awesome feature. The batteries in the fobs last about a year and a half to two years. I think $4 is not too much to ask.
Link to youtube video on how to change the keyfob battery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF3nAYV302w

Keyless go is a no brainer....
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
so has anyone confirm this works on the sedans with motorized trunk? my car is in service...so i can't confirm now...lol.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 AM

s600
Has anyone installed this remote closer? I have received one from Kufatec but NO instructions whatsoever! Kufatec has not replied to my request for installation advice. Help.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450; 2010 Chevy Corvette Convertible
All three of our cars ... Corvette, CTS Coupe, and my new e350 have the keyless Go feature ... Won't buy another car without it. And I really like the push button to close the trunk ... Something I was used to from my Escalade. The P2 package is worth if for me!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by Drgolf131
All three of our cars ... Corvette, CTS Coupe, and my new e350 have the keyless Go feature ... Won't buy another car without it. And I really like the push button to close the trunk ... Something I was used to from my Escalade. The P2 package is worth if for me!
My Escalade lacked of this cool feature and being a heavy trunk lid I had to slam it lol
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Internet myth. Operator error. Neither battery drains. I have spare key batteries handy. $3 for a pair of batteries. User replaceable in seconds. Keyless GO rocks.
Actually, the keyless starting is last on the list of advantages of Keyless GO. Keyless entry/exit is first on the list of advantages.

Wayne
Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by venchka
Internet myth. Operator error. Neither battery drains. I have spare key batteries handy. $3 for a pair of batteries. User replaceable in seconds. Keyless GO rocks.
Actually, the keyless starting is last on the list of advantages of Keyless GO. Keyless entry/exit is first on the list of advantages.

Wayne
Ha ha , I did order P2 package which means keyless go so , that message is no longer valid lol
Thanks for your reply, I feel relief each time I see a positive post about Keyless Entry
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM

2012 E63
Originally Posted by AtTheMurph
There is a button on my sedan.

You would use it if say you were hauling groceries out of the trunk and had your arms full of bags and went into your house. Instead of having to walk back out to push the button on the trunl lid or simply push it closed you could push the lock button twice and viola'!
I tried the push twice on the KF trunk button and it didn't close.

Maybe I didn't understand what you guys are saying or maybe this is not on the 2010 w212 model?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Ha ha , I did order P2 package which means keyless go so , that message is no longer valid lol
Thanks for your reply, I feel relief each time I see a positive post about Keyless Entry
Be careful. Don't leave the remote in the vehicle. That apparently causes battery drain. On the other hand, why anyone would leave the key in the vehicle boggles the mind. Battery drain would be the least of your problems. Vanishing E-Class car would be the worst.

Enjoy!

Wayne
Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Be careful. Don't leave the remote in the vehicle. That apparently causes battery drain. On the other hand, why anyone would leave the key in the vehicle boggles the mind. Battery drain would be the least of your problems. Vanishing E-Class car would be the worst.

Enjoy!

Wayne
Thanks for your message . I honestly leave the keys in the vehicles because our cars are kept in safe place and garage kept . It later dawned on me that draining battery issues were mostly from leaving the keys in the cars .So, I will be very vigilant to take the key with me
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
I finally took a couple minutes to check this out...

On a factory stock 2011 W212 with P2 and so with the motorized trunk lid....

No combination of pushing on the Key Fob trunk button will make the trunk close. Long pushes, short pushes, double pushes, I tried everything I could think of and nothing works.

But I did discover something (maybe you all knew this and I didn't):

Using the trunk button in the driver's side door, it has a two way action like the sunroof button: Pull Back opens the trunk (obviously) but Push Forward will indeed close the trunk.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by mikemargolis
I finally took a couple minutes to check this out...

On a factory stock 2011 W212 with P2 and so with the motorized trunk lid....

No combination of pushing on the Key Fob trunk button will make the trunk close. Long pushes, short pushes, double pushes, I tried everything I could think of and nothing works.

But I did discover something (maybe you all knew this and I didn't):

Using the trunk button in the driver's side door, it has a two way action like the sunroof button: Pull Back opens the trunk (obviously) but Push Forward will indeed close the trunk.
Thanks for your comfirmation on this , I didn't know that . MB Engineers did a brilliant idea so as to use a trunk button then
Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Thanks for your comfirmation on this , I didn't know that . MB Engineers did a brilliant idea so as to use a trunk button then
i don't have auto trunk closer but i kind of remember the method what mike said is from the manual.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i don't have auto trunk closer but i kind of remember the method what mike said is from the manual.
Cool, I downloaded the manual but didn't read the whole thing lol
Well, it's not something like you hold in your hands and turn the pages lol
Old 04-13-2012, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Cool, I downloaded the manual but didn't read the whole thing lol
Well, it's not something like you hold in your hands and turn the pages lol
i did hold both "phonebooks" and read through them...and forgot most of them .
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by BudC

Wayne
When you have Keyless Go and the key is in the range where the car can detect it, it is constantly sending signals back and forth...and it does drain the keyfob battery.

Our fobs also used to have 2 batteries in them instead of 1 and they each had their own functions. That is probably another reason why we seem to have an issue with batteries draining that we didn't before the new fobs were introduced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto Trunk Close By Using Key Fob