E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Airmatic pump sound on '11 E550 when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
Airmatic pump sound on '11 E550 when driving

I have had my 2011 E550 since November. I have 5500 miles on it. I'm well aware of how airmatic works as I also own a GL550 and SL550, BUT on this E550 I am hearing a sound of something running coming from the rear for about 5-10 minutes once I have started driving the car. It sounds like the pump continuously working as I'm driving but it stops as the car comes to a complete stop. It tends to go away completely after about 15 minutes or so of driving. If I park the car for a few minutes and then start driving, the sound also comes back and the pattern repeats itself.

Is this normal? Its actually very annoying and feels as if something is broken. Why would the pump keep working for that extended period of time? This happens regardless of what setting the suspension is in. This is my first E550 and I can't imagine Mercedes designing a car with this intrusive noise being normal! I can hear this noise regardless of how loud I turn the radio up. This doesn't happen ever in my other airmatic cars. Before I take it back to the dealer I would like to get some insight from others if available so they don't tell me no problem found!

I'm also getting some bad squeaking from the brakes when i back up! Got to have that looked into also.

thx for your input. Much appreciated.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
I'd measure how far up in the wheel wells your tires are when you park at night, and then measure in the morning. If they are significantly higher up in the AM you have a problem with the Airmatic suspension. This seems to be a common issue with E550s -- and was with mine, which was in the shop for 12 days waiting parts from Germany. Parts were "Air Spring," and other attachment parts. Got to the point where I had "Car Rising" [sic] messages in the AM.

OH, yes, I also had squeaking brakes, mostly backing up. The dealer accused me of "riding the brakes," which I NEVER do (my left foot has never left the floor in 30 years, since I dumped stick shift). Dealer said they cleaned "glazed rotors," four of which, and pads, were replaced at 9,000 miles due to badly warped rotors. Car now at 15,000. ?????????? I'm a conservative driver who NEVER abuses the brakes.

Last edited by Live Oak; 01-30-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM

thx for the quick reply. I'm figuring something is wrong, but I never get an error message indicating something is failing? I haven't measured the car height yet, and I can hear the air farts after the car is parked so its leveling itself out. Its the weirdest thing as the car rides fine and doesn't seem to have any suspension issues that I can feel, but the noise is at the point where its making me nuts! I'm taking it in next week to have them look at it and correct it. I hope it doesn't take 12 days, but if it does i will be driving the loaner and saving on miles. Glad I leased this car. The brakes just started squeaking when in reverse like yours, and the already replaced the front rotors shortly after I got the car because they were warped. I'm somewhat disappointed in the quality of this car as compared to the other MB's I've had. Its a great car to drive with lots of effortless power, but these things shouldn't be happening in a $70k+ car with this low mileage. I appreciate your comments. thx
Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
My 2010 is quiet. Never once have I heard the airmatic from inside. There's lots of junk in our trunk, so maybe something else like the hard drive is loose.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM

E550
Originally Posted by beartrap
Its a great car to drive with lots of effortless power, but these things shouldn't be happening in a $70k+ car with this low mileage. I appreciate your comments.
+1

When you park the car at night, you might just put a ruler between the top of the rear tire and the edge of the wheel well (or a tape from the well to the floor), front and rear, and then record the distance. Then repeat in the AM before you start it. If the diff is significant, you have something to report. Mine was minus 1-1/2" when I started getting the message, but I could hear the pump working for a few minutes in the AM even before that. By the time I got it to the dealer, it was minus 2"
Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 AM

2011 E550, 2018 Land Cruiser, 1966 Vette
Like Live Oak, Hype and some others, I recently had my air springs replaced as my 3/11 build 550 began to look "slammed" after sitting for a day or two. It's been fine since except....I got a malfunction message on the dash along with a pic of a car with an up arrow last week. The handling felt ok, I pulled over, got out and smoked things over and all looked well. I rebooted the car and the message cleared. Dealer says to bring it in if it happens again.

But noise? I never hear the Airmatic pump when inside the car unless I listen for it. Pretty amazing that yours can be heard even with tunes on.

Overall, the Airmatic system seems like a good idea but it surely is failing in execution. Hard to know how widespread the problems are but it seems as if they are not uncommon. Good luck with your repair and keeps us posted.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I raise and lower my car often and the only time I can hear my pump is when I have the radio off and in my quiet garage.
So I would say that if you can actually hear it while driving then there is something wrong.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
My wife has a 2011 E550. She complains about the squeeky brakes once in a while. When they squeek, they are LOUD! It's an embarrassing squeek, not just a little one. There isn't really a "fix" for it. I would suggest stomping on the brakes quite hard a few times in a row. That generally makes it go away for quite a while, until the glazing re-appears.

I think her Airmatic compressor runs more than it should as well (definitely more than my 2012). We left for a week & it was down a few inches when we returned, which makes me believe she needs a new pump. I've had lots of Airmatic cars that didn't sag after a week. This is the first "failure" of airmatic for myself or any of my family's cars...ever. I don't really consider it a "failure" as it didnt blow out & leave someone stranded.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM

E550
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
My wife has a 2011 E550. She complains about the squeeky brakes once in a while. When they squeek, they are LOUD! It's an embarrassing squeek, not just a little one. There isn't really a "fix" for it. I would suggest stomping on the brakes quite hard a few times in a row. That generally makes it go away for quite a while, until the glazing re-appears.

I think her Airmatic compressor runs more than it should as well (definitely more than my 2012). We left for a week & it was down a few inches when we returned, which makes me believe she needs a new pump. I've had lots of Airmatic cars that didn't sag after a week.
My dealer "cleaned glazing" to fix loud squeaking a week ago, and the squeaking has come back. VERY embarrasing to be driving a car I spent nearly $70,000 for and have it sounding like the '74 Cutlass at the local store.

My dealer recorded 1-1/2" to 2" drop in the rear overnight and replaced the two rear "air springs" for leaking.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I think the '74 Hurst Olds Cutlass sounded better. Perhaps you should consider a nice vinyl top to keep the whole thing in character? lol I am sorry you are having these issues. I agree that a $70k car should not have these issues,but, it is still just a car. The real issue is how MB will resolve it to your satisfaction.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM

thx everyone for your replies. much appreciated. the car is scheduled to go in next week so hopefully they will find something wrong and replace it. If not then i told them i want a new car. They smiled. I will let you all know the outcome for future reference if needed, or basic curiosity!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16 GLE63S
Has anyone noticed the Airmatic system doing something that sounds like a sneeze?? I have it happen sometimes on my GL550 when it sits in the garage and on certain specific parts of the road.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 4matic
i know this is kind of an old thread, but I've got this same thing happening to my 2011 E550. It sags on it's suspension every time I let the car sit for more then an hour or so. The pumps run every time I start the car. It raises quite a bit. So much so, that I can see it in the rear view mirror. I thought this was normal, as it's been doing it the whole year I've owned the car. Now I'm getting a malfunction notice. I've got an appt thursday with the dealer, and the car is still fully under warrantee. I'll report when I know more.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 PM

2010 GL450
Airmatic Sneeze

I am driving a 2010 GL450 and the airmatic compressor is making a noise both during wake mode and while on the road. I do not have issues with the the sound of a pump running but with an alarmingly loud crunch sound. If you have ever driven in a lot of snow and slush and it gets packed behind the wheel, it makes a large crunch sound as it falls off. That is what I am hearing. The car is garage kept, I open the passenger door and that initiates the Wake mode. The pump will start but not loudly, the car will rise a little and then CRUNCH! In the amount of time it takes to get around to the drivers side it happens. It scares me almost every time!

Dealer replaced the airmatic compressor but i still hear it ....is this typical?? I hate to sound like a car snob, but really, this horrible sound from a mercedes!? Help! Send me your thoughts!
Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 841 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by kpanebia
I am driving a 2010 GL450 and the airmatic compressor is making a noise both during wake mode and while on the road. I do not have issues with the the sound of a pump running but with an alarmingly loud crunch sound. If you have ever driven in a lot of snow and slush and it gets packed behind the wheel, it makes a large crunch sound as it falls off. That is what I am hearing. The car is garage kept, I open the passenger door and that initiates the Wake mode. The pump will start but not loudly, the car will rise a little and then CRUNCH! In the amount of time it takes to get around to the drivers side it happens. It scares me almost every time!

Dealer replaced the airmatic compressor but i still hear it ....is this typical?? I hate to sound like a car snob, but really, this horrible sound from a mercedes!? Help! Send me your thoughts!

How about the noise coming from a solenoid valve under pressure...?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MB E550 2010
Originally Posted by beartrap
I have had my 2011 E550 since November. I have 5500 miles on it. I'm well aware of how airmatic works as I also own a GL550 and SL550, BUT on this E550 I am hearing a sound of something running coming from the rear for about 5-10 minutes once I have started driving the car. It sounds like the pump continuously working as I'm driving but it stops as the car comes to a complete stop. It tends to go away completely after about 15 minutes or so of driving. If I park the car for a few minutes and then start driving, the sound also comes back and the pattern repeats itself.

Is this normal? Its actually very annoying and feels as if something is broken. Why would the pump keep working for that extended period of time? This happens regardless of what setting the suspension is in. This is my first E550 and I can't imagine Mercedes designing a car with this intrusive noise being normal! I can hear this noise regardless of how loud I turn the radio up. This doesn't happen ever in my other airmatic cars. Before I take it back to the dealer I would like to get some insight from others if available so they don't tell me no problem found!

I'm also getting some bad squeaking from the brakes when i back up! Got to have that looked into also.

thx for your input. Much appreciated.

Beartrap, I know it has been awhile since this thread was started, but wondering if the dealership was able to find anything wrong with the airmatic pump