E 550 RWD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Turbo3Six
Agreed as to the virtues of All Wheel Drive in the rain. But my daily is a Toyota Landcruiser and the wife just got a '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4.
The E would be a civilized hot sedan used and driven selectively. The 4Matic is parasitic to HP and my driving enjoyment. I am also considering the new CLS, but am unsure if I would prefer the stealth blend of an E vs the look at me presence of the CLS. A Renn Tech flash will be fit to either soon after delivery.
"4Matic is parasitic to HP"

I'm not sure I agree. Based on MB published figures E550 RWD is 5.2 and E550 4MATIC is 5.3 to 60. I would hardly call that parasitic. I understand you want your thrill but I think the 4MATIC system serves the vast majority of MB drivers well and keep them out of trouble on dry and wet pavement alike. It also gives you much more steady and surefooted acceleration from a standstill FWIW.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Parasitic?? tell that to my 550
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by ImInPA
This is what tires do. AWD, RWD, and FWD allsuck in the rain with crappy tires. I lived in South Florida for 30+ years and still own a home there. With all due respect, your post is BS. When the rains are coming down like you describe in Florida (and they do), you slow down and drive like a responsible adult. AWD will not help you in those conditions.
Oh really? So why the f... do you want 350 BT 4matic? Proper snow tires aren't enough for you?

One maybe able to get away in E350 Rwd under any conditions with proper tires, but E550 (with its massive torque) will definitely benefit by 4matic (still with the same proper tires) under most adverse conditions.

Get it to your head - 4matic does not mean snow, even though it seems that's how MB's 4matic allocations work. One must understand that AWD "options" cost money, and most people in the "sun belt" do not want spending it since they "do not need it as awd=snow". Hence MB sells rwd MLs here as well.

There is a ton of Audi Quattros in FL - no one complains. Personally experienced its benefits when once a rear wheel hit an unnoticed deep puddle on a highway at night - there would be a high chance of losing control or even spinning had it been a rwd at the velocity I was traveling at (yes, I'm not "a responsible adult").

Last edited by threeMBs; 02-24-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
PGT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Oh really? So why the f... do you want 350 BL 4matic? Proper snow tires aren't enough for you?

One maybe able to get away in E350 awd under any conditions with proper tires, but E550 (with its massive torque) will definetely benefit by 4matic (still with the same proper tires) under most adverse conditions.

Get it to your head - 4matic does not mean snow, even though it seems that's how MB's 4matic allocations work. There is a ton of Audi Quattros in FL - noone complains. Personally expirienced its benefits when once a rear wheel hit an unnoticed deep poddle on a highway at night - there would be a high chance of losing control or even spining had it been a rwd at the velocity I was traveling at (yes, I'm not "a responsible adult").
engrish?

PS - I HATE poddles
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, I knew it was comming. I'm staying on the topic, as long as the point is understood, everything else is secondary, IMO.

PS: fixed it for your reading pleasure.

Last edited by threeMBs; 02-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
PGT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
tires > drive system. AWD doesn't do much good at speed but you pay the weight penalty of carrying it around. Frankly, I do just fine in DC winters with the RWD E550 Coupe and proper tires (Conti DWS).

On my STI, I had custom ECU maps done for the SI-Drive System. One was a "no boost" map; that in conjunction with the the differential locked at 50/50 and performance A/S tires was barely livable in DC winters. Switch to a normal map and it was nothing but wheelspin in the white stuff. The same solution on proper winter rubber would have been much more capable.

I also learned how to drive in a RWD V8 station wagon in upstate NY winters west of Buffalo along Lake Erie, so that helps a lot.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No argument from me on your point - tires are THE most important part of the driving envelope. Unfortunately most people (and especially those with rwd pickups in FL) do not understand this - they keep on driving until they're almost slicks. I remember the first time I drove RS6 (it was delivered to northeast region in winter on UHP summer only tires) just for fun in the snow - all four wheels were spinning, but car would not move.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by PGT
I also learned how to drive in a RWD V8 station wagon in upstate NY winters west of Buffalo along Lake Erie, so that helps a lot.
The driver counts a lot too - IMO, more than the tires because a good driver would know not to drive if the tires are inappropriate.

But I learned to drive on snow and ice while delivering papers in Amarillo, TX. I lived in Boston too, and the snow/ice was much more challenging in Amarillo (these are different time periods, so maybe the comparison is not fair). Amarillo did not have plows and did not salt. It didn't snow or ice often enough to warrant the expense. Amarillo streets also have deep drainage ditches at most secondary intersections. So ice would build up at night (when I delivered papers) and there'd be huge ruts. There was no choice but to learn to drive "rally-style" - barrel in and keep the car moving. Couldn't get stuck because no one was around to help. Did it in a FWD Ford something or another.

My daily driver in Boston was a Porsche Boxster (RWD). Never had a problem because the streets were always clean.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by Turbo3Six
A slightly used E63 would no doubt be a fine ride.
But, the performance potential of the new 2012 poweplant is what has my interest. A 4.6L Twin Turbo V8, once tuned, will make some serious hp and torque. So for the $25K (approximate) price variance between the E 550 and E 63...a RWD, badge delete, lowered and tuned E 550 would suit me just fine.
Older E63's beware... of the tuned turbos. Smoke'm if you got'm boys!
4MATIC would be the biggest advantage that you'd have in a 550 vs 63 race.

You should go test drive a CLS 550 2WD and 4MATIC back-to-back - I think it would sway you toward 4MATIC if you're concerned about stoplight drags. Be warned, however, that the ESP sucks in the non-AMGs. It can only be defeated in Dyno mode.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Oh really? So why the f... do you want 350 BT 4matic? Proper snow tires aren't enough for you?

One maybe able to get away in E350 Rwd under any conditions with proper tires, but E550 (with its massive torque) will definitely benefit by 4matic (still with the same proper tires) under most adverse conditions.

Get it to your head - 4matic does not mean snow, even though it seems that's how MB's 4matic allocations work. One must understand that AWD "options" cost money, and most people in the "sun belt" do not want spending it since they "do not need it as awd=snow". Hence MB sells rwd MLs here as well.

There is a ton of Audi Quattros in FL - no one complains. Personally experienced its benefits when once a rear wheel hit an unnoticed deep puddle on a highway at night - there would be a high chance of losing control or even spinning had it been a rwd at the velocity I was traveling at (yes, I'm not "a responsible adult").
Not to sink to your level of ignorance, I desire a 4Matic with Bluetec, not for handiling, but for better straight line traction in snow. I have owned many AWD vehicles, and the only apreciable difference. assuming you are a good driver in the first place, is better straight line acceleration. With 400 ft-lb of torque AWD does have an advantage in straight line acceleration. No will complain having it, so that point is ignorant. You have done nothing to change the facts that I stated. I respect your opinion, but, the facts you invented are BS. There is no logical argument for AWD in South Florida. You have only shown that you understand very little about vehicle dynamics. I do not fault you for your lack of knowledge though, you simply need to read more for comprehension. Good luck to you in that endeavor.

Last edited by ImInPA; 02-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts
W212 FL
I see many Ranger Rovers and these come with AWD and you can't turn if off to RWD . So, 4 MATIC is a cool choice and I also don't think 4 MATIC is parasitic to HP but MPG lol
An E350 CDI 4 MATIC gets as worse as 14lt/100 km in city wheras E350 CDI gets a better fuel consumption like 11 lt/100 km in same conditions

I would like to have $ MAtic I mean 4 MATIC
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The parasitic losses will always be greater with AWD Vs. 2WD. just more gearing to turn. This, plus the additional weight of AWD components conspire to reduce fuel economy.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Two articles on point:

http://www.baileycar.com/winterdrive_html.html

and

http://www.eclassbenz.com/buyers-gui...l-wheel-drive/

Glad the first points out that AWD shines on hills, which is why I need my 4matic. I love blasting past the neighbors stuck on the hill!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The parasitic losses will always be greater with AWD Vs. 2WD. just more gearing to turn. This, plus the additional weight of AWD components conspire to reduce fuel economy.
Not true. Enjoy the 2012 fuel economy ratings for a subset of MB's 2012 lineup. Shown are the fuel economy values for 2WD vehicles and their 4WD companion.

Attached Thumbnails E 550 RWD?-fuel-economy.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is the gearing the same in all of those models? Look, I was just stating a few facts. Don't let them get in your way. Enjoy.